PDA

View Full Version : M4-1000 Blackout Mount: Rocksett or not?

mtk
11-18-08, 18:01
The subject says it all. Did you use Rocksett on your Blackout flash hider mount for your AAC M4-1000 suppressor?

I just got my upper back from Noveske and he installed my Blackout without any Rocksett as he never uses it. However, the manual for the suppressor said to use one to two drops on the mount.

Should I remove it and Rocksett it or leave it as John installed it?

Any input would be most appreciated.

GaryG
11-18-08, 20:03
The subject says it all. Did you use Rocksett on your Blackout flash hider mount for your AAC M4-1000 suppressor?

I just got my upper back from Noveske and he installed my Blackout without any Rocksett as he never uses it. However, the manual for the suppressor said to use one to two drops on the mount.

Should I remove it and Rocksett it or leave it as John installed it?

Any input would be most appreciated.

I have a AAC SCAR SD which has a similar mount, I think, and I had the mount loosen even WITH Rockstett. Luckily, I noticed it before it loosened enough to allow a baffle or endcap strike.

So, yes, I'd definitely re-do it with the Rocksett, and still get it the habit of periodically checking the tightness of the suppressor and the mount as you shoot. There is no advantage to NOT using the Rockset, so its better to be safe than sorry.

Verbal Kint
11-18-08, 20:06
I agree. Better to err on the side of being cautious. I'd follow the suggested tech guidance and redo it.

But that's also a habit from military service. lol Tech data and T.O.'s... I still have nightmares about them.

+1 for using the Rocksett

SHIVAN
11-18-08, 20:10
Sometimes people use the Blackout, or other FS, without ever intending to mount a can. If you intend to mount the can, use the rocksett.

mtk
11-18-08, 20:30
Oh, I'm definitely going to mount the can so I'm off to remove the flash hider and install some Rocksett.

ETA: I just Rocksett'ed the crap out of it. Hope I never need to remove it. :D

GaryG
11-19-08, 04:41
Its a little late for me to mention this, but preparation is everything. Here is what I did when I re-applied the suppressor mount after it loosened on me the first time:

I completely de-greased both the barrel threads and the suppressor mount with brake cleaner or gun scrubber-type degreaser, and let it dry completely. I was then careful to not touch it with my fingers (skin oil contamination).

Then, I applied the Rocksett to both the barrel threads, AND inside the suppressor mount. I believe the AAC instructions say to torque the mount on to 30ft/lbs, but I used about the same torque that I use for tightening the lug nuts on my truck - - about 80ft/lbs.

Then, finally, let it sit undisturbed, at least overnight, to allow it to fully cure.

So far, no problems.

markm
11-19-08, 07:09
Yeah. Cleaning the mount and the threads is a must or the rockset might not do its thing.

Even a brand new mount has filthy threads. Two drops is all you need. One in the mount, one on the barrel threads.

RyanB
11-19-08, 07:54
The dealer didn't use enough Rocksett on my SF adapter and 150 rounds later a couple of baffles were shot up at the end of it...

GaryG
11-19-08, 07:59
Yea, I don't buy the "2 drops will do it" line of thinking that AAC puts out, either. I slathered on a continuous ring of the stuff, both on the barrel threads and the inside of the mount. Of course, I'll probably have to hire a gorilla to help me get it off, if I ever need to . . .

RyanB
11-19-08, 08:50
Since then when I install an adapter I use enough that the excess squeezes out the back and has to be wiped off.

SHIVAN
11-19-08, 09:24
Of course, I'll probably have to hire a gorilla to help me get it off, if I ever need to . . .

Two drops almost takes a gorilla, you are going to need somebody like Rosie O'Donnell to help you. :D

Jay Cunningham
11-19-08, 09:37
Two drops is all you need.

Like RemOil!

:p

mtk
11-19-08, 09:47
I followed the directions and degreased both the flash hider and barrel using some mineral spirits. Actually, it was some high-volatility type, so it would evaporate quickly, but it worked just the same (I bought it specifically for this job).

I put a ring of the stuff around the barrel threads, so they were 100% coated, but I didn't put any inside the flash hider. Then I installed it and torqued it to roughly the 20-30lb-ft specified in the manual.

The "trial by fire" will commence either tomorrow at lunchtime or Saturday.

SHIVAN
11-19-08, 09:57
24-48 hour cure time, depending on temps. I would let it set for a couple days before shooting, if you can. If this is a work gun, it will probably be Ok, but if not just let it be for a day or two.

markm
11-19-08, 10:04
Since then when I install an adapter I use enough that the excess squeezes out the back and has to be wiped off.

I dunk the whole gun in rockset. Then chissle away the excess. :cool:

adh
11-19-08, 11:38

an added benefit with this method is that you do not have to stake the carrier key or the castle nut on a collapsible stock

markm
11-19-08, 11:40
That's right! :cool:

GaryG
11-19-08, 12:29

http://www.newmantools.com/price/flexbarpr.htm

That's pretty much what I did, too, exept I got a couple gallons of Rocksett (a little pricy, tho - - cost $398.40/gal...see link for the source (P/N: 15016), if you want a couple of gallons, too), and filled up my ultrasonic cleaner with it. This was definitely the best way to get all of the air bubbles out, for sure.

Pretty much had to write off the ultrasonic cleaner after that. Turned out to be a pretty-expensive undertaking.

yea, I was drillin' & chisselin' for a long time afterwards . . .

markm
11-19-08, 12:56
Turned out to be a pretty-expensive undertaking.

yea, I was drillin' & chisselin' for a long time afterwards . . .

You can't put a price on peace of mind!

mtk
11-19-08, 13:28
24-48 hour cure time, depending on temps. I would let it set for a couple days before shooting, if you can. If this is a work gun, it will probably be Ok, but if not just let it be for a day or two.

You're killing me. OK, I'll wait until the weekend to shoot it, just to be sure it has set up properly.

It damn well better be worth it because we're talking about a virgin AR15 and a virgin suppressor and a virgin owner of both (I've shot AR's before, but this is my first AR and first suppressor). Needless to say, I'm quite eager to empty out a few of those PMAG's I stashed in the last month.

So much for my plan to run out to the range at lunchtime tomorrow and try out my two new toys. :(

markm
11-19-08, 13:44
Shit. I wouldn't be waiting for a damned thing. I'd be shooting. CURE IT BY GETTING IT WARM WITH LIVE FIRE!!!

mtk
11-19-08, 18:52
Shit. I wouldn't be waiting for a damned thing. I'd be shooting. CURE IT BY GETTING IT WARM WITH LIVE FIRE!!!

While I know what you mean, the mere thought of damaging my new can because the Rocksett hadn't hardened is a chance I'm not willing to take. I'd rather wait an extra day or two to play with it than risk having to wait a few months for AAC to repair it.

markm
11-19-08, 20:01
You can always clean the threads and start over if it backed off any. The more important check is visually inspecting the bore alignment from the chamber end.

mtk
11-20-08, 07:50
I'll do that, but it is a Noveske barrel so the threads should be good to go.

Boss Hogg
11-20-08, 09:01
Also, make sure you DO NOT use a washer.

mtk
11-21-08, 11:56
My Blackout is now Rocksett'ed in place and the weather forecast for the weekend is high temperatures in the 20's. :mad:

Oh yeah, I'm going shooting anyway, I'm just going to freeze my ass off while doing it! At least the can should make a nice handwarmer. :D

boltcatch
11-22-08, 17:34

I bet that keeps your FCG pins from rotating, too.. :D

mtk
11-22-08, 18:01
Well, my new rifle bore is fouled and my new suppressor baffles have powder residue on them....

No baffle strikes and the Blackout is still firmly attached.

Best of all, I got to shoot my rifle without earplugs! :D

markm
11-24-08, 07:47
Where's the pics?

Derek_Connor
11-24-08, 09:17
Best of all, I got to shoot my rifle without earplugs! :D

You should still wear earplugs while shooting suppressed.

markm
11-24-08, 10:22
Depending on length of barrel, atmoshperic conditions, what structures you're by (vehicles, walls, etc.), you can still do damage to your hearing.

The biggest factor in my opinion is barrel length. When I shoot silenced 11.5" barrels, I definitely get a little ringing in my ejection port side (right) ear. It's quite noticeable compared to a 14.5" barrel.

If I found that I the conditions were such that it was bothering my ears, I'd just put plugs in and take the can off. There's no sense in puting wear on the can if you're running ear pro anyway.