PDA

View Full Version : Election year pre-panic stock up

Eurodriver
01-08-20, 16:01
What are you guys buying? Anything, or do you have confidence Trump will win again?

I remember post sandy hook BCGs of all things were impossible to find. 22LR too.

Ammo. Mags. Lowers were all tough in 2008 and 2013. Anything made by VLTOR hasn’t stopped being hard to find since Sandy Hook.

Wolf Gold is pushing into the $250/1000 range on some sites and while the accuracy is shit on the newer lots it’s not a bad deal at that price especially when it will be $800+ in 9 months.

What was not hard to find:
Quality Optics
Handguards
Muzzle devices

jpmuscle
01-08-20, 16:05
In before all the people who say they have everything they need because they never got off the panic train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMS951
01-08-20, 16:09
Guns and mags are all anyone should be concerned about.

But 3 elections later idk how much more I need.

Ammo is a consumable, I d shoot a decent amount. Based on prices hikes in the past it would be prudent to buy it up now. But lets be honest, when you compare ammo costs to material costs, we should all be ammo everyday, regardless of year. IDK, you have got me to talk myself into a couple cases.

Warp
01-08-20, 16:15
Not sure if this belongs in here, but

A case of M193 will not be $800 in 9 months. It will take a D majority white house, house, senate to make that maybe happen. That said, for most people, I am pretty confident that if their supplies of firearms and related items were locked in, ammo would be their limiting factor. It should be most people's top priority IMO unless they are and admitted collector through and through

Most overrated stock up item: Magazines. Few people will shoot enough to wear out the magazines they have, and besides, even if a capacity ban was passed, but you were able to continue to shoot your stocked or buy more ammo through your rifles that you still have, to the point of wearing out mags, you could just do most training and practice with the restricted mags to keep your standard caps ready for more important things.

Trump has already passed more 'gun control' than 8 years of FBHO so not sure how relevant him winning or not really is.

Having stripped lowers doesn't do much good when it would cost you a year's salary to build them all into complete firearms at the panic market prices. Despite popular jabs to the contrary, the grabbers aren't stupid, they recognize that when they get the clout to pass things, they will need to do more than simply ban the sale of new serialized firearms, they will go after parts on way or the other so you can't just build otherwise prohibited rifles out of a $35 stripped lower...or at least make it difficult and expensive to do so. I mean hell there have already been proposed laws with wording so (likely intentionally) bad that putting putting an ALG trigger into your rifle would be illegal.

Stock up on? Spare parts for firearms I own. A merely-adequate number of quality magazines, maybe a handful of extras. More ammo and reloading components. A couple stripped lowers in case the old route there is a thing again for a time.

Gatorgrizz27
01-08-20, 16:27
Not stocking up on anything for panic buying or “investment”/price gouging, but I did decide to finish building the precision AR I’ve had sitting around for awhile.

I ordered 1,200 rounds of ammo last night, partly to keep some in the safe as a reserve, and partly to shoot more this year instead of just buying it as needed. I also have 2,000 loose bullets but my reloading bench is still in the garage of our old house.

With a pistol, carbine, and rifle, stripped lower for each of my sons, and 55 mags, I need to stop at some point.

Next planned purchased when I get this gun finished are a can and larger safe.

kerplode
01-08-20, 16:32
I more or less have all I'll ever need/want. I'm buying a bit of ammo, components, and mags here and there. Otherwise I'm not stressing too much.

kerplode
01-08-20, 16:33
In before all the people who say they have everything they need because they never got off the panic train.

I have everything I need because I've been doing this shit since the 80s...

jpmuscle
01-08-20, 16:55

Point

Made

GH41
01-08-20, 17:10

Same here. I am getting old and if anything I am gonna downsize and sell some stuff.

Straight Shooter
01-08-20, 17:11
When I buy in bulk...aka.."stock up"..I dont buy anything thats "shit". Prices are, and have been for years now, too good to do that.
If you havent already been buying everything, then its your fault if the election goes south. Youll be paying Sandy Hook X2 prices then.
There are, today, UNREAL deals still out there, and for at least until summer should continue to be.

Budget
01-08-20, 17:22
I'm getting a dozen 80% lowers (KIDDING).

9 and 223 and maybe another G19. And prolly a lower for a spare upper.

Budget
01-08-20, 17:28
Double Tap

Inkslinger
01-08-20, 17:29
Only LARPers panic buy.

Firefly
01-08-20, 17:55
I have HK, LMT, Colt and KAC errythang.
Ammo out the wazoo

The only thing I’m getting is a BCM MCMR.

RHINOWSO
01-08-20, 18:16
5.56 and 9MM.

Just like every month.

01-08-20, 18:20
MG’s and SBR’s are the focus at this time.

me2hootyhoo
01-08-20, 19:47
I’m thinking things are smoothing out. There wasn’t much of a run the last few incidents. We shall see. I will continue to buy ammo, some parts and maybe some quality mags as funds allow.

MegademiC
01-08-20, 19:59
Ammo and components
Bcg
Maybe another lower or two.
Maybe a cm65 depending on this year’s bonus

Everything else I need wont be touched by regulation or panic.

What about you?

flenna
01-08-20, 20:18
I am going to buy my first gun. What do you guys think of PSA?

VIP3R 237
01-08-20, 20:24
If you are just now stocking up then you are way behind the curve...

Arik
01-08-20, 20:35
I don't have everything I want but I have everything I'm comfortable spending money on. Whatever happens happens

Boba Fett v2
01-08-20, 20:44
When I buy in bulk...aka.."stock up"..I dont buy anything thats "shit". Prices are, and have been for years now, too good to do that.
If you havent already been buying everything, then its your fault if the election goes south. Youll be paying Sandy Hook X2 prices then.
There are, today, UNREAL deals still out there, and for at least until summer should continue to be.
Yep. Y'all had four straight years to stock up on shit during a time when it's been largely a "Trump Slump" buyer's market. No excuse you shouldn't have excess inventory. Wish I bought more stuff to flip when/if shit goes south.

w3453l
01-08-20, 21:02
Not sure if this belongs in here, but

A case of M193 will not be $800 in 9 months. It will take a D majority white house, house, senate to make that maybe happen. That said, for most people, I am pretty confident that if their supplies of firearms and related items were locked in, ammo would be their limiting factor. It should be most people's top priority IMO unless they are and admitted collector through and through

Most overrated stock up item: Magazines. Few people will shoot enough to wear out the magazines they have, and besides, even if a capacity ban was passed, but you were able to continue to shoot your stocked or buy more ammo through your rifles that you still have, to the point of wearing out mags, you could just do most training and practice with the restricted mags to keep your standard caps ready for more important things.

Trump has already passed more 'gun control' than 8 years of FBHO so not sure how relevant him winning or not really is.

Having stripped lowers doesn't do much good when it would cost you a year's salary to build them all into complete firearms at the panic market prices. Despite popular jabs to the contrary, the grabbers aren't stupid, they recognize that when they get the clout to pass things, they will need to do more than simply ban the sale of new serialized firearms, they will go after parts on way or the other so you can't just build otherwise prohibited rifles out of a $35 stripped lower...or at least make it difficult and expensive to do so. I mean hell there have already been proposed laws with wording so (likely intentionally) bad that putting putting an ALG trigger into your rifle would be illegal.

Stock up on? Spare parts for firearms I own. A merely-adequate number of quality magazines, maybe a handful of extras. More ammo and reloading components. A couple stripped lowers in case the old route there is a thing again for a time.

Perception is everything. I'd say the majority of the gun-buying public and/or people that were on the fence about buying a gun, just see Democrat = gun ban while Republican = savior of the 2A that's going to disband the ATF and reverse every gun restriction known.

Alpha-17
01-08-20, 21:12
I've got a small amount of ammo squirreled away for a rainy day. I'm actually in the process of switching it from ball ammo to good stuff. When that's done/slightly more done than it is now, I'll probably pick up bulk buys of 5.56, 7.62x51, and .45. Probably 9mm too, if I end up picking up the M17 I want.

Warp
01-08-20, 21:29
If you are just now stocking up then you are way behind the curve...

And yet, at current prices and supply, it's a great time to be doing just that

VIP3R 237
01-08-20, 21:42
And yet, at current prices and supply, it's a great time to be doing just that

I agree, I just chuckle at those who have waited until now when we’ve had record low prices for a few years.

trauma
01-08-20, 22:08
I’m good on supplies.

Democrats just need to put their red coats on and start the party.

Uni-Vibe
01-08-20, 22:08
After 2004 I stocked up on (too) many AR mags. I'm set there.

Last few years I've not panicked, but I've acquired hi cap pistols and mags, 9mm carbines and mags, an M4, a couple of complete lowers; just things that might become scarce.

Boba Fett v2
01-08-20, 22:26
Trump is not a 2A savior. I don't know why people keep believing that. Support him on the economy or other policies sure. Guns? 2A? Please. If he gets re-elected it'll only be because he'll be the lesser of the two evils just like the first time. I'll end it here as these discussions are reserved for the GD.

Eurodriver
01-08-20, 23:46
This thread is not about politics or the boogaloo.

This thread is about which parts may be scarce come election time. Frankly, I see prices going up by some flippers trying to make a buck but I think gun owners are mostly tapped out based on current pricing. Thus the market won’t move too much unless a “Hell yes we’re taking your AR15” Dem is actually elected. In that case, the purpose of this thread was to guess which parts would be hard to find. I don’t think anyone would have guessed a school shooting in 2012 would have led to a year’s shortage of BCGs and .22LR of all things.

Anyone who wants to discuss politics and whether or not a Dem will pass anti-2A laws can go to the GD echo chamber and do just that :)

Wake27
01-08-20, 23:52
Haven’t seen it mentioned but LPKs were also weirdly hard to find. I recently bought enough stripped lowers to fill out a healthy amount of AR variations so as much as I want to buy more uppers, LPKs, and everything else to fill them out, I know it’s not logical because I’ll probably run out of ammo before my current guns go down. I do wonder about NFA stuff though, so I’m struggling between balancing ammo and diving into that. But I also need a new shotgun and a few more Glocks so it’s a process.

MC_Oper8or
01-09-20, 01:04
I’ll have everything I need if Geissele ships my BF order before Election Day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diamondback
01-09-20, 01:53
The worry isn't the Federal level, it's the human garbage infesting many state legislatures. *stares pointedly at Salem, Olympia, Denver, Richmond and several others*

Arik
01-09-20, 06:23
I think anything that has to do with "modern" and over 10 rounds is going to be scarce. Or the possibility of. It's all on looks and capacity. First it will be whole firearms, then it will trickle down to components. Most people would initially want the whole rifle instead of piecing one together at the last moment. And if there is a panic the parts will follow the same logic as the ban. Anything that looks/sounds scary. Your braces, folding stocks, bcg, fcg, threaded barrels

Ammo.....the obvious 223/9mm followed closely by 7.62x39/45acp and then the rest in descending order of popularity. Probably the same thing will happen again with 22lr

The_War_Wagon
01-09-20, 06:50
Given the coming Republican landslide, MAYBE panicked Anqueefas are buying... I suppose preying on their fears is OK. Most of them won't know which end the bullet comes out of anyways. ;)

tgizzard
01-09-20, 07:07
Went through my stash, LPKs are my main need. I’m going to buy a few over the next couple months.

JediGuy
01-09-20, 07:47
I’m good. Ordered extra firing pins and bolt/carrier Colt parts BF 2018. Just did a refresh on springs and small pets for my lowers. Over 15 new or nearly new mags per assembled lower. Seven genuine OEM pistol mags, plus two Canik 20rders that work fine in it.

What I do need is ammo. The stash has dropped a bit. I could stand to add a few thousand .22L and good SD .223/5.56.
But really, how much practiced and SD ammo do you all consider “enough?”

Eurodriver
01-09-20, 08:06
I’m good. Ordered extra firing pins and bolt/carrier Colt parts BF 2018. Just did a refresh on springs and small pets for my lowers. Over 15 new or nearly new mags per assembled lower. Seven genuine OEM pistol mags, plus two Canik 20rders that work fine in it.

What I do need is ammo. The stash has dropped a bit. I could stand to add a few thousand .22L and good SD .223/5.56.
But really, how much practiced and SD ammo do you all consider “enough?”

I don’t ever consider an amount “enough”.

I compare what prices are to what they have been historically and buy accordingly. Worst case scenario is I sell it for more than I paid.

That’s where I think a lot of people in this thread differ from each other. “I have enough mags to last me a lifetime”. Well, when you want to give each of your kids enough for their lifetime and each of their kids enough for their lifetime the numbers get kinda small really quick.

I think I would stop at 100,000 rounds of 5.56 and 10,000 quality AR mags, but it would only be for lack of space.

Firefly
01-09-20, 08:07
Even if they pass oppressive bans, Pythons are back.

Pythons, 1911s, and my Garand.

X gon give it to ya

Arik
01-09-20, 08:34
Even if they pass oppressive bans, Pythons are back.

Pythons, 1911s, and my Garand.

X gon give it to yaWhat happened to the model 10 you were all hot for a while back?

JediGuy
01-09-20, 08:54
X gon give it to ya

That’s a good start to the day

Firefly
01-09-20, 09:42
What happened to the model 10 you were all hot for a while back?

I remembered I had a Model 65. Plus Pythons yo.

Pythons

Arik
01-09-20, 09:46
I remembered I had a Model 65. Plus Pythons yo.

Pythons I think I'll stick with my highway patrolman

Firefly
01-09-20, 09:51
I think I'll stick with my highway patrolman

They aren’t bad at all. Good solid N frame. I just like Pythons.
And really a Model 65 is a Model 10 on steroids. Same exact profile with heavy barrel but .357.

Of course I live and die by the FBI load .38. Preferably by Buffalo Bore. I even hog with it from time to time. That LSWCHP is no joke.

Arik
01-09-20, 10:07
They aren’t bad at all. Good solid N frame. I just like Pythons.
And really a Model 65 is a Model 10 on steroids. Same exact profile with heavy barrel but .357.

Of course I live and die by the FBI load .38. Preferably by Buffalo Bore. I even hog with it from time to time. That LSWCHP is no joke.

I know, I have the 13, blued 65, that came all the way back from Australia!

I don't dislike the snakes I just can't get over the rib. Otherwise the full length underlug reminds me of an L frame.

StovePipe_Jammer
01-09-20, 10:27
I'm doing the spare parts thing. Wear items and what not.

I'd love more guns but then I consider parts availability. AR and Glock parts are plentiful and fairly cheap these days. BCGs, pins, extractors, springs, etc. 2 is 1, 1 is none. I have other guns I like to shoot but using the Sandy Hook panic as a reference, I'm ensuring I have the backup parts I couldn't find back then. 400 bucks for a spare BCG is not something I'm ever going to have to consider.

Ammo is cheap as hell right now. Stack it deep.

I'm not man on a mission with stocking up but I grab stuff here and there. It adds up.

26 Inf
01-09-20, 12:12
I don't dislike the snakes I just can't get over the rib. Otherwise the full length underlug reminds me of an L frame.

I always felt the triggers stacked on the Colt's.

I'd like to find a nice S&W Model 15.

SDG8
01-09-20, 12:23
Can someone direct me to an organized checklist of things to stock up on? Parts etc.

StovePipe_Jammer
01-09-20, 12:29
Can someone direct me to an organized checklist of things to stock up on? Parts etc.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2017/12/20/must-have-spare-parts-for-your-ar-15/

^
Decent list to get started with spares for the AR platform.

Renegade04
01-09-20, 14:36
Like some and unlike many, I started stocking weapons and ammo many years ago. I do not need to panic buy anything. I also have more than enough ammo for each caliber of the weapons I own. I used to urge buddies of mine to stock up on ammo. That was when prices were really cheap. Well, they chose not to do so and missed out on the opportunities. It was not until some years later that they wanted to start buying ammo in bulk and it ended up costing a considerable amount more. Planning is essential and you DO NOT wait until the last minute or wait until panic buying starts. There is an old saying, "the early bird catches the worm".

Warp
01-09-20, 14:42
Haven’t seen it mentioned but LPKs were also weirdly hard to find. I recently bought enough stripped lowers to fill out a healthy amount of AR variations so as much as I want to buy more uppers, LPKs, and everything else to fill them out, I know it’s not logical because I’ll probably run out of ammo before my current guns go down. I do wonder about NFA stuff though, so I’m struggling between balancing ammo and diving into that. But I also need a new shotgun and a few more Glocks so it’s a process.

There's a line in my tracking doc for an AR build constantly reminding me that I paid $120 for a PSA LPK on gunbroker to finish a build.

I now have two extra LPKs, an extra complete BCG, an extra bolt, two different spare parts kits (the DPMS big one and some other one), a couple springs kit, gas tube, an oops kit, few sets of gas rings, a pins kit, Geissele spring replacements for all three of my Geissele FCG's, action springs, firing pins, cam pins...yeah. The little shit can get ya. LPK's, who would have known?

Of course, at these prices, a complete and functioning addition rifle is the best way to make sure you have any possibly essential part

ST911
01-09-20, 21:12
This thread is not about politics or the boogaloo.
Anyone who wants to discuss politics and whether or not a Dem will pass anti-2A laws can go to the GD echo chamber and do just that :)

Support. Please advise when we need to run the vacuum.

SeriousStudent
01-09-20, 21:30
I always felt the triggers stacked on the Colt's.

I'd like to find a nice S&W Model 15.

The new Python has different lockwork, and does not stack like the old ones. A nice clean pull-through on double-action. If you have ever shot one of the old 1905 Smith and Wesson Hand Ejectors, it feels like that. Long-action Smiths are capable of a tremendously smooth trigger. Oh, and I'm buying one of the 6" Python's to replace the one I had to sell after my son's ICU stay.

I've got three Model 15's - a 2", a 4" and a 6". Highly recommended.

Regarding the OP's question, I just ordered another 15K small pistol primers to the stash, another 8-pound keg of Bullseye powder, 4 pounds of Alliant Sport Pistol powder to try out with the 3000 polymer-coated wadcutter bullets. Annual bonus arrived, so I did the annual order of reloading supplies. Plus booked half of the training classes for the year.

Years ago, I bought enough parts from White Oak Armament, and pins from McMaster-Carr, to build dozens of AR's.

The 8-year-old granddaughter has a 6920, a G19, a 642 and an 870 all NIB in the safe. What do I need to panic buy now?

So if you want to stock up on something, stock up on training classes. Get your learn on, and be hard to kill.

Firefly
01-09-20, 22:04
Yeah this tbh.

Like I have more than I need and I am not, personally, hedging bets on panic buyers.
I am content with my stash and am happy that the new guns coming out that I want are essentially ban proof.

Per Model 15s ooohh yeah.

AKDoug
01-10-20, 01:36
I still have my stockpile from 2016. BCG's and mags. Lots of them. After all the other rushes I have ZERO sympathy for anyone who isn't prepared. I will sell at a hefty profit if the time comes.

Wake27
01-10-20, 06:31
Why does everyone stock pile BCGs and not just bolts, firing pins, and cam pins?

JediGuy
01-10-20, 06:33
Why does everyone stock pile BCGs and not just bolts, firing pins, and cam pins?

Not everyone...

Warp
01-10-20, 06:59

It's easier to justify a 'new build' if what you happen to have lying around is a full BCG. Same for having LPK's as spare parts kits. Also, prices are just so low right now, why not?

ndmiller
01-10-20, 16:30

+1

Been over buying since adulthood, with everyone else's panic funding many many many many toys for my collection. Looking forward to buying something really nice in the next year or so.

Vic79
01-10-20, 17:19
I have so much ammo and magazines that it’s becoming a storage issue. Plan on picking up I need to A2 just because I like the 20 inch barrel

10MMGary
01-10-20, 17:57

I am the same, but only since 1984.

ABNAK
01-10-20, 18:57
I have 8 complete higher-end BCG's (like the cheapest would be a Colt) with another supposedly "processing" if Geissele ever ships it, 5 higher-end bolts, one LPK, and numerous other stocks/grips/buffers/etc. This wasn't done to hoard or panic-buy, it just kind of happened. :rolleyes: Like, you guys know how this kind of stuff "happens". My wife doesn't understand, but surely you all do......right? :cool:

Evel Baldgui
01-10-20, 19:31
The only item I purchase and have a 'reserve' of is ammo. I now only own two Glock 19's, .22 revolver (hiking snake gun), an AR 10.5" pistol with some replacement parts for them. And, in addition, a more than adequate supply of magazines. I'm not a hobbyist, so don't have multiple calibers or varieties of firearms. I'm not a fan of shotguns, lever actions, or bolt action hunting guns; in my urban environment they serve no utility for me. SG's, to me, are cumbersome and have limited capacity. I would gather that most people here carry what I own in their vehicle/person as their everyday carry, for me, these are more than adequate for any untoward social situation or "badness" that may transpire.

Uni-Vibe
01-10-20, 19:46
I have so much ammo and magazines that it’s becoming a storage issue. Plan on picking up I need to A2 just because I like the 20 inch barrel

I've been shooting one for 20 years. You'll like it. Better still is M16A3 type with removable carry handle. Buy now or cry later.

ABNAK
01-10-20, 20:20
I've been shooting one for 20 years. You'll like it. Better still is M16A3 type with removable carry handle. Buy now or cry later.

Hell you can buy an A2/A4 complete rifle for < $1K.

feraldog
01-11-20, 12:42
I am the same, but only since 1984.

since '76

Uni-Vibe
01-11-20, 13:13
Bought my first AR in 1999. 6 years into the AWB. I remember paying $20 for used USGI mags, $30 for new.

Mini-14 factory 30s were $75. Glock mags were $100.

And all that was in 1990s dollars. So after 2004 I started laying in a stash of things. And since then when I've acquired a hi cap anything, I've bitten the bullet and forked over for a supply of quality mags.

Prudence buying, not panic buying.

donlapalma
01-11-20, 14:19
Since prices on ammo have been good for a while now, I've been buying incrementally over the last couple of years. I have a decent amount on-hand and will likely buy a couple more cases before the election just in case. That should hold me over for quite a while.

The_War_Wagon
01-11-20, 16:21
since '76

'92 here.

JoshNC
01-12-20, 10:21
Putting the final touches on my Swiss SIG 55x collection. High quality AR barrels, LMT bolts. Maybe another AUG. A LMT MWS mlok with 16” LW barrel, 6.5cm barrel. HK SP5. B&T APC9 Pro. B&T TP9-N. Ammo, lots more ammo. Links for beltfed MGs. Will f1 a couple more AR lowers just because. I’ve been buying since ‘96, so the items above are wants not needs. Well, I do need beltfeds.

OH58D
01-12-20, 10:27
I've been stocking up on M193 5.56 because I have an already large stash of M855. Going retro lately and need a more traditional round for the 1/12 barrels.

Pappabear
01-12-20, 16:18
I buy ammo every bonus check once a month. Im fat on ammo and plan to get fatter. When you can buy 308 SMK loaded ammo that is sub moa fodder for .60 a round, how do you not buy extra. I wish they sold 175's for that price. Its very rare.

PB

JediGuy
01-12-20, 16:43
I buy ammo every bonus check once a month. Im fat on ammo and plan to get fatter. When you can buy 308 SMK loaded ammo that is sub moa fodder for .60 a round, how do you not buy extra. I wish they sold 175's for that price. Its very rare.

PB

Ah, I’m new (not quite active yet) to the 308 game and adjusting to prices... Mind pointing me in the direction of that stuff?

veeklog
01-12-20, 17:39
I buy as many magazines as I can every paycheck, especially how cheap they are now. I bought a bunch of AR, Glock, HK MP-5, CZ Scorpion, S&W M&P full size and compact, S&W 5900 and 6900 mags, HK VP-9, Browning Hi-Power, and Sig P-226 magazines. I still need to buy more AK mags and for ammunition, need to buy 7.62x39, 7.62x51, .45 ACP, and .357 magnum ammo. Might as well start now.

Pappabear
01-12-20, 17:45
Ah, I’m new (not quite active yet) to the 308 game and adjusting to prices... Mind pointing me in the direction of that stuff?

SG ammo .64 a round , look online for Magtech Sniper aammo. Great for the price. $1.00 for FGGM which is a bit better

50 round box - 308 Win HPBT Sniper 168 grain Magtech Ammo - 308D50 round box - 308 Win HPBT Sniper 168 grain Magtech Ammo - 308D50 round box - 308 Win HPBT Sniper 168 grain Magtech Ammo - 308D

SG ammo
Target Sports are my two goto places to buy ammo.

PB

3ACR_Scout
01-12-20, 18:52
I’ve been picking up mags while they’re cheap for a few guns that I’d like to buy in the future - CZ Scorpion, Glock 20, and a .308 AR, mainly.

On the subject of a mag ban, I have a feeling they’ll be a lot smarter next time, and a ban will make mags and banned firearms non-transferable, so there will be no passing them on to your children, even through a trust.

I’d like to stock up on ammo, but this summer will be our fourth move in five years, and it’s no fun trying to transport several thousand rounds cross country in your car with the suspension bottomed out. As soon as we move, I’ll be ordering a few cases.

Wake27
01-12-20, 20:19
I’ve been picking up mags while they’re cheap for a few guns that I’d like to buy in the future - CZ Scorpion, Glock 20, and a .308 AR, mainly.

On the subject of a mag ban, I have a feeling they’ll be a lot smarter next time, and a ban will make mags and banned firearms non-transferable, so there will be no passing them on to your children, even through a trust.

I’d like to stock up on ammo, but this summer will be our fourth move in five years, and it’s no fun trying to transport several thousand rounds cross country in your car with the suspension bottomed out. As soon as we move, I’ll be ordering a few cases.

I did that a couple of months ago. Not fun is right. I had all of the guns in a lacrosse bag so I could bring them into the hotel every night but it must have weighed at least 60 pounds. And I just had to hope that no one would smash a window and steal all of the ammo.

Uni-Vibe
01-12-20, 21:05
It sounds so silly to have to buy a pile of magazines when you get a new gun. If the capacity of a magazine were not the subject of politics at the highest level, we'd have maybe 3 for each hi cap pistol. We'd have a few of 30s for the AR, knowing if we bent one, we could throw it away and spend $12 on a replacement. No, I have boxes of the things that have never been inserted into a rifle. When I got my Colt 9mm ar6951, I'd have bought a couple of 30s and one 20. But no, I had to fork over $25 each for 10 of them.

And buying mags for guns you don't even have yet? Guilty. Might want a HK VP9 someday, so I found 5 of them lightly used online.

Who would have thought of stockpiling cases of .22LR? When you go to the range, just buy $5 worth, right? No, I got caught out in 2008. So I buy CCI by the case.

Hassle and expense, because in everytown, moms are demanding "action."

ST911
01-12-20, 21:15
Tangent: If one were to stockpile reloading components, what specific primers, powders, and bullets could be expected to provide the greatest return and flexibility during periods less availability?

Uni-Vibe
01-12-20, 22:18
Tangent: If one were to stockpile reloading components, what specific primers, powders, and bullets could be expected to provide the greatest return and flexibility during periods less availability?

Funny you should ask. I've been doing that very thing for a couple of years now.

Unless you have a specific need (e.g. CCI # 41 for the AR) I'm stocking up on standard large and small pistol.

Bullets: standard weight in each caliber
FMJ for 9mm, and hardcast for .45 ACP and revolvers.

Medium burning powder, e.g. Unique or AA#5.

This approach stretches your component- hoarding dollar and ensures that you have a way of making generically useful loads during times of shortage.

Vegas
01-12-20, 23:07
I usually grab Titegroup when I can for cheap. It's not my primary powder for 45 but it does a decent job and a lb goes a long way. I like it for 9mm. I like CCI primers and BR2 were hard to come by in the last panic. I try to pick stuff up on local forums when people are selling stuff they don't need anymore.

Jermedic
01-12-20, 23:13

I have been trying to put away extra small/large pistol primers, 9mm fmj, LRN 45ACP and hardcast for 45 Colt. For powder I use the most Bullseye followed by Unique and FFG Black Powder. Need to start buying the components and dies for 556/223 since I have a lot of brass saved up.

SeriousStudent
01-13-20, 17:54

Berry's plated 115 grain 9mm projectiles

Poly-coated 148 grain double-ended wadcutter projectiles

CCI small pistol primers on strips

Alliant Sport Pistol powder for the wadcutters

Winchester 231 pistol powder for the 9mm projectiles

Bullseye pistol powder for everything

Hodgdon CFE 223 powder for 5.56 loads

Assorted 62-grain FMJ non-steel core projectiles for AR range chow

I have about 60 gallons of assorted pistol brass in the garage - .38, .357, 9mm and .45. I've got about 25 gallons of .223 and 5.56 brass as well.

I have one or two primers, and three or possibly four grains of powder put away for a rainy day. Redoing the upstairs gun room with a new floor, so I can build a reloading bench inside the house. Dillon 750 XL on the way as soon as that's done. Three RCBS presses in the garage will move indoors as well.

Just some stray thoughts.

ST911
01-13-20, 22:18
Just some stray thoughts.

Helpful, thank you.

pag23
01-14-20, 19:17
I have bought extra mags....and ammo

For ARs...I have Magpul, Lancer, and USGI types..

Spare parts is not a bad idea..especially AR LPKs

26 Inf
01-15-20, 01:19
I don't know about panic, but this seemed like too good a deal to pass up - 250 rounds of ok 9mm range ammo, plus 5 mags for my Shield - all for $99.00:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/five-5-boxes-cci-5200-115gr-9mm-ammo-250rds-five-5-s-w-m-p-shield-8rd-9mm-magazines.html

I only have the mags that came with the Shield, so I figured this was a good opportunity.

While I was at it I ordered 100 boxes of .223 - got permission first LOL

https://palmettostatearmory.com/armscor-223-remington-55gr-fmj-ammunition-20rds-fac223-1n.html

grizzlyblake
01-15-20, 05:58
So what is kind of a good base line for each rifle? I'm thinking 12 mags and 2k rounds of ammo. Then 6 mags and 1k rounds of ammo per pistol.

Beat Trash
01-15-20, 11:54
So what is kind of a good base line for each rifle? I'm thinking 12 mags and 2k rounds of ammo. Then 6 mags and 1k rounds of ammo per pistol.

That sounds like a good baseline. I always had a baseline of double what I might carry for magazines. For me, it was 14 mags per rifle and 6 mags per pistol. For ammo, it was the ability to load, then reload every magazine an additional 3 times. Or 1k rounds per gun, whichever was greater.

I bought my ammo at a 2-1 ratio. If I buy a 1,000 round case, I store 500 and shoot 500 rounds. New ammo goes in the back of the shelves and the oldest get shot. This stocking system kept me shooting during various ammo droughts over the last 20 years.

I no longer worry about stocking up, only because I’m good for a while.

Eazyeach
01-15-20, 13:33

I have a HD gun and a spare. A 20” for nostalgia and a varmint gun.4 total 5.56/.223 guns. So I need 48 mags and 8000 rounds of ammo? I mean I’m all for buying cheap and stacking deep but I don’t think I need that many mags.

Now I would never project my needs on another person but the mags are pretty durable and they work for all four guns and I can only use/ carry one gun at a time. Pistols I can see six for each. That makes sense. But I think I can make do with 10-20 rifle mags and all the ammo I can store. Ymmv

Outlander Systems
01-15-20, 14:02
What are you guys buying?

Cutter, Cheese, Wire, Stainless Steel:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71WRfhvpAfL._SL1500_.jpg

Mask, Grumpy, Cat, Full:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/619F0ipNbsL._UX522_.jpg

Hammer, Ball-peen Type:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81-OqzieOdL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Shirt, Filty Frank, Tee:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61HyAYm8V6L._UX522_.jpg

Saw, Chain, 18”:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/outdoor-living/detailpages/husqvarna/husqvarna-chainsaw-450-hero-lg.jpg

Account, LiveLeak, Premium, 4K:

https://www.everplans.com/sites/default/files/styles/750wide/public/liveleak-750.jpg?itok=0flno5b5

Vic79
01-15-20, 16:23
Cutter, Cheese, Wire, Stainless Steel:

Mask, Grumpy, Cat, Full:

Hammer, Ball-peen Type:

Shirt, Filty Frank, Tee:

Saw, Chain, 18”:

Account, LiveLeak, Premium, 4K:

Lol!Stay the hell out of this guy’s way

Outlander Systems
01-15-20, 17:05
This Loadout is affectionately known as the “Hootenanny Starter Pack.”

Lol!Stay the hell out of this guy’s way

jh9
01-15-20, 17:26

Federal pistol primers of any stripe have always been the first to disappear. For people with reduced power hammer/striker springs, Federals are the go to. Since that's mostly competition shooters and competition shooters tend to shoot more than most, you can get a premium for them.

They also take up more space due to the bulkier packaging.

Warp
01-15-20, 18:00

I think it largely depends no how much you shoot. If you shoot a thousand rounds a month, that won't do it. If you go to the range once per quarter and shoot one or two hundred rounds each rifle/pistol, then the above numbers look decent. Duration of time that you can shoot without resupply makes a lot more sense as your unit of measurement than raw ammo count.

Magazines are consumables, they wear out and they get broken, and they lend themselves to spreading out across different locations. But, even if there was a ban, you could buy new neutered mags to abuse for practice, and you can fire an awful lot of ammo through each mag before it wears out if you treat it half decent. I'd add ammo to those numbers long before adding mags

richiecotite
01-15-20, 18:01
Federal pistol primers of any stripe have always been the first to disappear. For people with reduced power hammer/striker springs, Federals are the go to. Since that's mostly competition shooters and competition shooters tend to shoot more than most, you can get a premium for them.

They also take up more space due to the bulkier packaging.

All else being equal (meaning price) federal usually costs a little bit more and can be harder to find.

But personally, I haven’t found a brand of primers that haven’t worked pretty well. S&B, Tula, federal, Winchester all work in my pistols (just getting into bulk rifle reloading)

gaijin
01-15-20, 18:07
SRPs are GTG with either Small Pistol or Small Rifle brass.

Never had issues with them in Pistol ammo, but 90% of my handgun shooting is 1911/2011 hammer guns.

jh9
01-15-20, 18:33
All else being equal (meaning price) federal usually costs a little bit more and can be harder to find.

But personally, I haven’t found a brand of primers that haven’t worked pretty well. S&B, Tula, federal, Winchester all work in my pistols (just getting into bulk rifle reloading)

Yeah, the domestic primers all tend to work fine with stock guns. The hitch is with lightened actions. I have a 686 I can do nothing but swap springs around in and go from 100% reliable with everything to only 100% with Federal primers.

Example:

https://tkcustom.com/services/action-jobs-sw

must be used with fully seated Federal pistol primers.

All major revolversmiths will say the same, and there are plenty of Glock/etc lightened striker springs that have similar peculiarities. If you want your action as light as it can go then it's Federal or nothing.

At present I only keep Winchester and CCI primers because space is at a premium and I don't do light springs. But I've not only been down that rabbit hole, I've paid for the real estate and stayed there long enough to complain about property taxes before I moved on. If you want to know which primers go first in a panic, I can absolutely 100% guarantee it's Federal because the competition folks go there first. I've paid upwards of $60/k during the Obama and Clinton* years so my limber spring guns would work, and other folks shooting the same matches did likewise.

*- for the folks that don't remember or weren't there, we had ammo/component scares way before Obama. None of this is new.

Hox013
01-15-20, 20:18
I should be buying ammo... but I've been chasing other lustful builds since the holidays.