PDA

View Full Version : Mid length plastic handguard Q

denniscalhounhare
11-18-08, 20:37
I seem to only recall ever seeing plastic handguards mounted between a delta ring on the back and fixed front sight base on the front. Are there any alternatives to the fixed front sight base on the front to mount plastic hand guards?

If one had a complete upper with a .750" gas block seat up front, can plastic mid length hand guards be installed with a gas block? Is there a mount made for non fixed sight bases that you've seen out there that will work with the plastic hand guards?

Thanks

KevinB
11-18-08, 21:17
the handguard care not about the front sight gas block - they care about the front handguard cap.

denniscalhounhare
11-19-08, 07:45
So, are there any other gas block mounting options besides the fixed front sight that offer the cap attached? I do not recall seeing such a device. Is a cap made out there that will secure itself to a gas block?

jmart
11-19-08, 08:15
I may be wrong on this, but I alwyas thought the HG cap was held captive between the gas block and a shoulder or step machined in the barrel. Then, when installed, the gas tube keeps it from rotating. I don't think it's mechanically fixed to anything.

LOKNLOD
11-19-08, 08:18
So, are there any other gas block mounting options besides the fixed front sight that offer the cap attached? I do not recall seeing such a device. Is a cap made out there that will secure itself to a gas block?

The handguard cap isn't made into the gas block, it seats against the shoulder of the barrel and the gas block holds it there. The gas tube goes through the cap also and prevents it from rotating.

You can use most any gas block with a handguard cap and standard handguards. My friend has a YHM flip-up sight/gas block with standard handguards, for example.

denniscalhounhare
11-19-08, 20:26
So should the barrel have any different markings to accept the front cap? The comment about "and a shoulder or step machined in the barrel" concerns me. I have not taken the pants off one of these rifles to much depth other than regular cleanings. Is tehre something I shoudl be looking in the way of a notch on the barrel to insure I can complete my task? Some of the newer barrels seem to be smooth all the way from back to front.

jmart
11-19-08, 22:12
Don't worry about it. Just leave the HG cap alone, leave the gas block alone.

You may get some gas blow by of the tube at the junction with the gas block. If it bugs you, just use a patch soaked with solvent or CLP to wipe it as clean as you can. Don't go trying to disassemble any of these parts if all you're trying to do is clean things.

denniscalhounhare
11-19-08, 22:16
Thanks Jmart