PDA

View Full Version : BCM Mid length 16” mod 2

Vny22
01-09-20, 09:16
Anyone have any input on this AR? Thinking about purchasing it and fixing the mag with Mean Arms mag fix to make it NY compliant.

https://shop.bravocompanymfg.com/Bravo-Company-MFG-BCM-MID-16-Mod-2-AR15-Carbine-p/bcm-carbine-750-133.htm

This will be my first AR, and decided to go with a quality AR vs the Ruger 556 I was looking at. Long term if I start changing parts on the Ruger it will add up quick and probably be kicking myself I didn’t get a higher tier better quality AR.

Also how does BCM compare to Colt in terms of quality? Thanks

dpb1776
01-09-20, 09:57
I have two. One with a hammer forge barrel and one with a stainless. The bfh one was my first BCM the gun has north of 15000 rounds has been used in everything from indoor carbine matches, two gun, even used in local precision matches, gun is accurate and I don’t recall ever malfunctioning. Also been used in several classes with round counts of 500 plus a day so it’s not a safe queen. The stainless had a long break in period but once it settled down it stacks rounds on top of each other, again 100% reliable. It replaced the bfh as my competition gun, the bfh is now retired to a home defense carbine . Pick one up get an aimpoint with a quick release mount and a 2-10 or 3-9 scope in a quick detach mount you have a versatile setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ggammell
01-09-20, 10:34
Have one. Changed to a keymod fore end to suit my needs a few years after buying the rifle. Great starting point.

Circle_10
01-09-20, 10:51
I have a 16" BCM upper receiver group on an Aero lower with a fixed A1 length stock. It isn't my favorite AR that I own but out of all of them if "I could only have one" it would probably be the one I would choose, because it's a real jack of all trades. A 16" midlength, particularly a BCM is a great choice for a first and/or only AR

MWAG19919
01-09-20, 11:06
I have a similar rifle (16" BCM enhanced lightweight upper) and I'm quite pleased with it. 1.25 to 1.5 MOA with a variety of loads when I'm doing my part, and completely reliable over the course of 4k+ rounds. Plus, BCM as a company refuses to do business with any agency in a state where citizens are prohibited from buying such rifles. I appreciate their commitment to the second amendment.

n8vmind
01-09-20, 12:24
You can't go wrong with BCM built quality for their complete uppers. Functions flawlessly

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Renegade04
01-09-20, 16:31
I have a BCM Mid-16 Mod 2. I really like it.

https://i.imgur.com/AUbhTrT.jpg

Jermedic
01-09-20, 18:43
Only issue I can see is that the BCM website at the bottom of that linked page says they will not ship to NY. Might need to look into that before you order.

Walker_Texasranger
01-09-20, 20:47
I only have BCM guns and came from a Colt 6920. I prefer 14.5 barrels but I have a 14.5 BFH ELW on a BCM lower with an A5 buffer and it’s legit.

I’m about to do a 14.5 enhanced medium weight fluted upper with some type of scope I think.

There’s some negative stuff going around about BCM on other places on the web but I love BCM. Good product at a good price.

SouthwestAviator
01-12-20, 13:26
There’s some negative stuff going around about BCM on other places on the web but I love BCM. Good product at a good price.

What's been going around negative about BCM?

Walker_Texasranger
01-12-20, 13:58

Bore scope pics of a barrel plus a barrel that failed after a pretty low round count.

Glock9mm1990
01-12-20, 16:31

The mouth breathers on the other forum have been bashing BCM as of late. That’s the only place I have seen negative things.

SouthwestAviator
01-12-20, 16:58
Bore scope pics of a barrel plus a barrel that failed after a pretty low round count.

Just because of one or two guns? That's hardly enough data points to determine whether a brand is shit or not.

Outlander Systems
01-12-20, 18:03
Regarding the shot out barrel; you can do that with any barrel not made of stellite given a high enough RoF.

Just because of one or two guns? That's hardly enough data points to determine whether a brand is shit or not.

Hox013
01-15-20, 20:27
I think they are over priced for what they are personally. I also had a BCM barrel that didn't shoot very well in the past. I'd be willing to go BCM again, but probably not for $1500.

ggammell
01-15-20, 20:38
I think they are over priced for what they are personally. I also had a BCM barrel that didn't shoot very well in the past. I'd be willing to go BCM again, but probably not for $1500.

$1500 buys you a far different BCM rifle. Let’s tighten up the shot group here. That’s a $1200 rifle.

Hox013
01-15-20, 20:47
$1500 buys you a far different BCM rifle. Let’s tighten up the shot group here. That’s a $1200 rifle.

$1500 buys me another LMT MRP, which is hands down the way I'd go over BCM. I only reazlized my old BCM (with their BFH barrel) shot 5.5-6" at 100 with Wolf Gold when I was attempting to compare the accuracy with my Tavor X95. I expected the X95 to shoot worse. However, the BCM shot worse. The only thing I'll say is that I torqued the muzzle device a bit tighter than usual to get it to time. I may have affected the accuracy. The gun still ran like a top. But for that kind of coin, there are better options IMO.

alx01
01-15-20, 20:58
$1500 buys me another LMT MRP, which is hands down the way I'd go over BCM. I only reazlized my old BCM (with their BFH barrel) shot 5.5-6" at 100 with Wolf Gold when I was attempting to compare the accuracy with my Tavor X95. I expected the X95 to shoot worse. However, the BCM shot worse. The only thing I'll say is that I torqued the muzzle device a bit tighter than usual to get it to time. I may have affected the accuracy. The gun still ran like a top. But for that kind of coin, there are better options IMO.

IMHO, a somewhat tighter muzzle device should not cause a 6" groups at 100. You might go from 2" to 3" groups, but there is something fundamentally wrong with a 6" group unless you have at least 10k-12k rounds (non-abused) through the barrel.

Hox013
01-15-20, 21:03
IMHO, a somewhat tighter muzzle device should not cause a 6" groups at 100. You might go from 2" to 3" groups, but there is something fundamentally wrong with a 6" group unless you have at least 10k-12k rounds (non-abused) through the barrel.

This is my thought as well, but I try to be transparent in that I *could* have contributed. Unfortunately, I never fired that upper before changing out the muzzle device. So, there is no telling. All I know is I was not impressed.

rocsteady
01-16-20, 05:42
Mid 16 mod 2 was my first AR after reading the "Filthy 14" article in S.W.A.T. magazine and how they were run at various schools with tremendously high round counts. I put about 4,000 rounds through it before I got a second rifle from Colt (because it was on our personally owned weapons list) and because Ithe Colt had the bureau's blessing, I started shooting it more often. But I've done police schools with high daily round counts, been invited to test range operations at army's 300m pop up range that we utilized with it. Never had any failures of the gun and that's with mostly .mil surplus green tip for training with some FBI issued duty rounds and my HD round, the Black Hills 50 grain TSX.
It should be noted that I've got over a decade in Federal law enforcement and I have been fortunate enough to have made a lot of great contacts with guys who've spent a lot of time on the two way range and when those guys recommend a product, I listen. That's where the BCM choice came in, it wasn't for plinking or target shooting, it was for SHTF scenarios...see the quote I like in my signature.
Edited to add, I can't tell you that you will shoot .02 in groups at a hundred yards, but I have yet to have a problem hitting 2 liter soda bottles at 200 yards plus and having a blast watching them explode.

ggammell
01-16-20, 11:15

So over estimate your price for said rifle then say you can get some other rifle at that's better at the higher price. Ok then.

Hox013
01-16-20, 15:16
So over estimate your price for said rifle then say you can get some other rifle at that's better at the higher price. Ok then.

I don't understand what you're saying. The link shows a $1500 BCM rifle. You can buy LMT MRP's for $1500. I had a bad experience with a BFH BCM a few years back. I think there is way more value in the MRP between barrel changes, gas system, ambi lowers, etc. That's all I'm saying lol your opinion may vary.

ggammell
01-16-20, 15:25
I don't understand what you're saying. The link shows a $1500 BCM rifle. You can buy LMT MRP's for $1500. I had a bad experience with a BFH BCM a few years back. I think there is way more value in the MRP between barrel changes, gas system, ambi lowers, etc. That's all I'm saying lol your opinion may vary.

That’s MSRP. Not what they actually sell for.

Hox013
01-16-20, 15:31
That’s MSRP. Not what they actually sell for.

Ok, now I'm tracking you lol. Yes if it's a $1200 BCM off the shelf, then no you cannot get an MRP for that price. Carry on

AndyLate
02-22-20, 06:27
I do not have that particular rifle, but I have a 16" midlength BCM complete upper (including BCG/CH) mounted to another company's stripped lower completed with BCM parts. I have owned and shot the gun for 3-4 years and have never regretted the purchase.

BCM's quality equals or exceeds Colt's. BCM will have a better trigger out of the box; but I would expect the Colt barrel to print smaller groups. Doesn't mean BCM is not accurate - Colt is very good at barrels.

I personally prefer the midlength gas system to carbine for a 16" barrel and BCM does gas ports well.

G&R Tactical usually beats the prices on BCM's website.

Andy

ABNAK
02-22-20, 18:18
I do not have that particular rifle, but I have a 16" midlength BCM complete upper (including BCG/CH) mounted to another company's stripped lower completed with BCM parts. I have owned and shot the gun for 3-4 years and have never regretted the purchase.

BCM's quality equals or exceeds Colt's. BCM will have a better trigger out of the box; but I would expect the Colt barrel to print smaller groups. Doesn't mean BCM is not accurate - Colt is very good at barrels.

I personally prefer the midlength gas system to carbine for a 16" barrel and BCM does gas ports well.

G&R Tactical usually beats the prices on BCM's website.

Sometimes.