PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my Savage 110

graffex
11-18-08, 20:40
I just got a older model (flat rear-receiver, non-accua trigger) Savage 110 for hunting a few weeks back. I took the bolt out today for some cleaning and installed a Leupold 1 peice base on it. When I was done I tried to put it back together and when I slid the bolt back in it wouldn't turn all they way down to lock into place. I called my buddy who owns one and he told me to try moving the little black circle piece near the rear of the bolt into a different position. I did that and then the bolt wouldn't go into the receiver hardly at all because the little round piece was getting hung up on the saftey tang. I tried to move the black circular knob back into the position it was in and couldn't get it to budge. I need to know what to do to get everything on the bolt lined back up correctly so I can get it working again. I'm supposed to be going out this weekend to get it sighted in for deer hunting so it is urgent I get it working ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don Robison
11-18-08, 21:31
All you should have to do is
1. Safety off
2. Squeeze trigger.
3. While holding trigger depress bolt release and hold down.
4. Slide bolt in.

I just went and checked on my 110 tactical just to make sure.

graffex
11-19-08, 13:58
All you should have to do is
1. Safety off
2. Squeeze trigger.
3. While holding trigger depress bolt release and hold down.
4. Slide bolt in.

I just went and checked on my 110 tactical just to make sure.

I understand how to take the bolt in and out. It still will not go in because things on the bolt have to be in a certain position for it to work.

graffex
11-19-08, 19:20
I need to figure out how the hell to move that black disc thing I was talking about back into the rear-most position. I can't get the bolt in anywhere near for enough for the lockup process because the black disk part wont clear the safety button. The black disk was under spring pressure and it is holding it forward, I've tried as hard as I can to get it to go back to the rear of the bolt but I can't get it to budge.

Don Robison
11-19-08, 20:11
Gotcha, I misunderstood your question.
The piece you're talking about is called the cocking piece. It can be difficult to nearly impossible to move by hand because it's under spring pressure. You may be able to move it if you wrap it in cloth to protect it and use a large pair of pliers to hold it while you rotate the bolt body. But the best way would be to put the bolt in a padded vise and use a nylon or brass drift to move it back to the correct location. Be careful though you don't want to damage it.

graffex
11-21-08, 13:00
I called Savage and they told me how to do it. All I had to do is put the bolt on the corner of a table and press down on it to get it back into position. I bought myself a nice Leupold 3x9x40 vx-ii and got it mounted and bore sighted :D

Don Robison
11-21-08, 18:24
Cool, glad it worked out for you.

Bigun
12-17-08, 02:27
I called Savage and they told me how to do it. All I had to do is put the bolt on the corner of a table and press down on it to get it back into position. I bought myself a nice Leupold 3x9x40 vx-ii and got it mounted and bore sighted :D
My older Model 111 .270 was my go to hunting rifle for many years. Ugly but consistantly accurate. I also have a Leupold VX2 3-9 on it and it is a great combination. I still reach for it if there is going to be a bunch of brush in the picture so I dont mar up the more expensive rifles. It shoots everything into less than 1.5".