PDA

View Full Version : RIP Neil Peart of Rush

jack crab
01-10-20, 16:10
Died Jan. 7 of brain cancer. The family announced today.

A remarkably talented person in many ways.

titsonritz
01-10-20, 16:20
Damn that sucks. 2112 was my favorite albums of all time. One of the greatest drummers to ever live.

markm
01-10-20, 16:28
Just read this on the Facebook machine. Sad news.

jmp45
01-10-20, 16:56
Wow, sad news for sure. Neil was one of the best.

n517rv
01-10-20, 17:05
My heart is saddened. One of my son's shared this news with me today. The world is truly diminished.

I feel blessed that all my boys got to see and learned to appreciate his musical and lyrical talent. Like many we share memories of great concerts that will live on as a tribute to his legacy.

I can't imagine the emotions that Geddy and Alex are feeling today. I had always imagined going to see those 3 play in some concert when they're in their 80s. It shall not be.

There never has been, or ever will be, such a musically talented trio that sounds and works so well together. I suspect their music will continue to affect and mystify future generations for many years to come.

Godspeed Neal.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

caporider
01-10-20, 17:33
Shit.

I read Neil's book that he wrote after he lost his daughter. He rode a motorcycle around for a long, long time in that book. I hope he's reunited with her now.

CrowCommand
01-10-20, 17:42
RIP Neal....Fvck, where's the good news at?

diving dave
01-10-20, 18:22
Always my favorite band, he was one of the best drummers ever... amazing talent.

WickedWillis
01-10-20, 18:23
I don't say this often, but one of the greatest of all-time. Maybe the most talented and technical in his craft. RIP!

Det-Sog
01-10-20, 18:25
My favorite band from back in the day. The best drummer ever. R. I. P. .

Chameleox
01-10-20, 18:46
The music world is far better for having known him. Rest In Peace sir, and thank you for sharing your art.
I’m going to go blast YYZ.

TommyG
01-10-20, 18:52
He was a tremendous musician and lyricist who inspired several generations. I was always in awe of his talent but I respected his humility even more. He had enormous talent but was quiet, humble and unassuming in a business that was anything but. Hope he is in the loving embrace of the wife an daughter who went before him.

Averageman
01-10-20, 22:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nICgCOJ7BS8

SteyrAUG
01-11-20, 00:30
Lots of people try and clown on Rush but they probably were one of the 10 greatest bands in modern rock.

They weren't Queen or Led Zeppelin, but NOBODY was Queen or Led Zeppelin. And with all the craptastic hair metal bands of the early 80s, Rush was a nice alternative for people who actually liked decent music.

I remember tards who were listening to Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister and Motley Crue calling Rush "gay" and I was like "dude, the guys you are listening to are actually wearing lipstick and eye liner."

Mozart
01-11-20, 00:55
I remember tards who were listening to Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister and Motley Crue calling Rush "gay" and I was like "dude, the guys you are listening to are actually wearing lipstick and eye liner."

Quote of the week.

markm
01-11-20, 07:50

Rush did fall into the "geek rock" category a little bit, but yeah.. the make up bands were so gay. Twisted Sister had a video they made with sound check footage over the song. I thought... that's kinda cool... Jeans and stuff instead of the fag bate costumes.

(Good God... Motley Crue and some other awful 80s bands are touring again)

The_War_Wagon
01-11-20, 08:47
Two of my best friends in the world, were at their "Power Windows" tour stop at the Grady Cole Center in Charlotte in '86, as was I... but we didn't KNOW each other yet!

We would meet 4 years later in college as older students - all of us working at the campus radio station, in fact. As Rush fans.

To the BEST of times... enhanced then & now, by Mr. Peart's soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/VKFyG8hXvQY

dwhitehorne
01-11-20, 09:54
Wow sad news. The first real concert I went to was the Grace Under Pressure tour up in Largo, MD. Yes I was a band geek. The drum line captain and Neil was a god. David.

daddyusmaximus
01-11-20, 11:12
The most sad event in the music world since we lost Glenn Frey.

daddyusmaximus
01-11-20, 11:53
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWRMOJQDiLU&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR10xmknXWqFdX_krUvfcZTBqrQVr8oi34FyMfsdi6N1TUM0I6MTKiB6F9s

jmoore
01-11-20, 17:36
Bad year for drummers! Number 1 and number 2 rock drummers of all time are gone - Ginger Baker and Neil Peart!
Wow!

geezer john

01-11-20, 17:37
I'd put Peart ever so slightly ahead of Baker.

Sucks we've lost both recently.

HKGuns
01-11-20, 17:46
Rest In Peace.

SteyrAUG
01-12-20, 02:54
Rush did fall into the "geek rock" category a little bit, but yeah.. the make up bands were so gay. Twisted Sister had a video they made with sound check footage over the song. I thought... that's kinda cool... Jeans and stuff instead of the fag bate costumes.

(Good God... Motley Crue and some other awful 80s bands are touring again)

For the REM crew they weren't true indie and for people listening to Poison they weren't real rock. Both groups can FRO. Limelight, Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions kicked major ass, so many other groups sucked so hard but got play.

jmoore
01-12-20, 17:32

As always - opinions vary:) Could be wrong, but guessing your a little on the younger side?

geezer john

SteyrAUG
01-12-20, 18:10

I still remember getting up for school September of 1980 and hearing on the clock radio that John Bonham had died.

Slater
01-12-20, 19:26
Back in the day, I don't think that Rush fit neatly into any particular category although today we just call it "classic rock". Unlike a lot of other bands, Neal Peart's songwriting focused on things like mythology, historical topics ("Manhattan Project"), and society's issues ("Subdivisions", etc.)

I'm 59, and it's sad that the rockers from my day are starting to pass away. Ric Ocasek died not too long ago.

01-12-20, 19:26
As always - opinions vary:) Could be wrong, but guessing your a little on the younger side?

Depends of definition of younger. Univ. of Tennessee has one of the best Jazz Depts. in the nation; headed by Donald Brown(if you know jazz you should know Brown). One of my friends while attending(he graduated a yr. before me) was a jazz drummer. He taught me a great deal and Baker was one of his favorites. Based on the technical jargon he used to throw at me, he made a solid case for Peart. Always stuck with me. We would listen to tracks of both, one after the other, and he would point out who was more technically accurate. He liked to say Peart by a field goal.

Steyr- Bonham could def. tear it up. I can't remember when he died, I was a little young for Zeppelin at the time. It truly was a shame he passed so young.

LoboTBL
01-14-20, 11:48
In my pre teens, having all younger and female siblings, I ended up hanging out with a slightly older crowd who all hated the pop rock and disco that was so popular in the mid 70s. I was introduced to Rush at an early age by an older neighbor who became a lifelong friend. Rush became and remains my favorite band of all time. I've seen them perform more than any of the other numerous bands I've seen over the years. I still have my vinyl version of 2112 and I have taken better care of it than I have some of my firearms.

As great as they were musically, I always appreciated their lyrics the most and Neil was the lyrical genius behind it all. I actually got to meet and speak to both Neil and Geddy backstage at the R40 tour. Both were as gracious and friendly as could be and thanked me for both being a fan and for being part of the security team.

RIP Neil

Send it...
01-14-20, 12:52
RIP Neal. You will be missed.