PDA

View Full Version : Identification help

Tipsovr
11-18-08, 21:18
Ok, please don't fill me full of holes if this has been covered (a lot). I couldn't seem to get the right combination of search words to find what I wanted.... So here goes:

I bought a used AR about a year ago. I've been happy with it but recently wanted to change some things around. The lower is RRA. So I emailed them and asked for the factory build specs. They (very quickly) responded and told me that the lower went out on its own and was a private build most likely. I've been able to identify some of the parts, mostly the cosmetics. I can't get a firm grasp on my BCG or the upper itself. I did read over the Knowledge Based Threads sticky. That thing has a lot of info. It actually gave me more questions.

So, are there any ways to identify the manufacture of my upper and BCG? Does RRA mark their uppers with anything to identify them as such? I've looked for identifying marks/symbols etc but not seeing anything. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

SpartanArms
11-18-08, 22:12
Tipsovr,

You should go check the forge mark thread here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009 to see if one of the forge marks listed there appears on your upper. Without a forge mark there is really no way of knowing who made your upper receiver itself. The barrel also may have some stamp on it to help you determine it's maker as well. Just out of curiosity, did the person/dealer you bought the rifle from tell you it was a complete RRA or give you any info as to who made the upper/barrel?

As far as bolt/bolt carrier groups go, most are not marked with a manufacturer; although some bolts will be visibly marked MP for magnetic particle inspected. If you should decide to buy a different bolt/bolt carrier group in the future I would recommend getting one from a quality vendor. Talk to C4IGrant here on M4 carbine and he will hook you up.:) In the meantime I would make sure your current bolt carrier group has the gas key bolted down tight, and the screws staked so they don't come loose.

SuicideHz
11-18-08, 22:13
Look for a forge marking above the forward assist on the right side of the upper. Take a picture for us. Also, take a picture of the top of the flattop if it has engraved T numbers. Sometimes it's easy to narrow down the original manufacturer by the font style they used.

Take off your handguards. Take good photos using the macro setting on your digital camera. Tell us if you see anything like 1/7, 1:7, 1-7, etc. the 7s could be 9s or even 8s (but I doubt 8). Also look for CMP or any other letter combinations. These markings are usually on the barrel in front of the FSB but are sometimes on the barrel under the handguards.

ETA: We might not be able to give you an exact brand just using these types of markings but that's really not as important as the quality of the parts that the markings might indicate.