PDA

View Full Version : Remington M4A1 barrel?

ABNAK
01-10-20, 18:26
Legit?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-pistol-barrel-556-14-5-chrome-bore-remington.html#.XhkU3ndFy70

I remember reading some years back where Remington got a limited contract for M4A1's but Colt whined and I don't recall what became of that contract. Could these be contract overruns? Looks like Remington Defense has it listed, but for foreign military contracts?

https://www.remingtondefense.com/carbines/r4/operator/86612.html

Belmont31R
01-10-20, 18:32
Legit?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-pistol-barrel-556-14-5-chrome-bore-remington.html#.XhkU3ndFy70

I remember reading some years back where Remington got a limited contract for M4A1's but Colt whined and I don't recall what became of that contract. Could these be contract overruns? Looks like Remington Defense has it listed, but for foreign military contracts?

Most likely made by DPMS which is under the Remington umbrella. Lots of Colt barrels around I'd rather use.

ABNAK
01-10-20, 18:43
Most likely made by DPMS which is under the Remington umbrella. Lots of Colt barrels around I'd rather use.

Gonna find a complete Colt SOCOM barrel for $180? Not being critical at all but if it is what the ad says it isn't a bad deal.....and that was kind of where I was going with it: legit?

ETA: this would be for a spare barrel to throw into the safe for a rainy day. It won't be for a build I have planned or anything (but then again you know how that usually works out!).

Belmont31R
01-10-20, 19:44
Gonna find a complete Colt SOCOM barrel for $180? Not being critical at all but if it is what the ad says it isn't a bad deal.....and that was kind of where I was going with it: legit?

ETA: this would be for a spare barrel to throw into the safe for a rainy day. It won't be for a build I have planned or anything (but then again you know how that usually works out!).

I didn't say that but was just pointing out its most likely a DPMS produced component since they're under the same umbrella as Remington. These components go out to contracts for NATO transition countries where we're supplying guns to them that look like ours but made by whoever picks up the contracts.

Most likely it would be fine and shoot bullets ;-)

lsllc
01-10-20, 20:13

DPMS doesn’t make barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sinister
01-10-20, 20:20
Colt was tied-up making M240s, as FN was at capacity. Remington's M4 contract bid was lower than Colt's, which got them butt-hurt and they filed a protest under military and federal acquisition regs and law. The Army lost the protest and bid the contract again, and then FN won.

Remington has exported their version to the Armed Forces of the Philippines, which is replacing their M16A1s.

That CDNN barrel would make an awesome rainy day spare.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Philippine_Army_Remington_R4_Rifle.JPG

ABNAK
01-10-20, 20:24
Colt was tied-up making M240s, as FN was at capacity. Remington's M4 contract bid was lower than Colt's, which got them butt-hurt and they filed a protest under military and federal acquisition regs and law. The Army lost the protest and bid the contract again, and then FN won.

Remington has exported their version to the Armed Forces of the Philippines, which is replacing their M16A1s.

That's what I was thinking too, especially for the price. Thanks.

Belmont31R
01-10-20, 21:03

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Philippine_Army_Remington_R4_Rifle.JPG

Just curious how Colt was manufacturing M240's? 240/249/46/48 are all FN designed and produced.

M4 contracts for partner or NATO transition countries are completely different which is where these components are coming from. That big pile of Georgian M4's Russia showed off being destroyed were Bushmaster rifles we bought them.

jsbhike
01-10-20, 21:42
Just curious how Colt was manufacturing M240's? 240/249/46/48 are all FN designed and produced.

M4 contracts for partner or NATO transition countries are completely different which is where these components are coming from. That big pile of Georgian M4's Russia showed off being destroyed were Bushmaster rifles we bought them.

http://www.defensereview.com/colt-defense-wins-126-million-126m-contract-to-produce-m240b-machine-gun-mmg-for-us-army/

Don't Tread On Me
01-10-20, 22:55
Scrolling down and checking related products, looks like they even have an 11.5”. Curious as to how these shoot.

Eurodriver
01-10-20, 23:00

Have you submitted your name to the moderators for SME status?

RobertTheTexan
01-10-20, 23:11
I’d just like to point out that “E” in “SME” does in fact stand for “EXPERT”.

Funny how that works and works well..

veeklog
01-12-20, 14:49
I bought one a couple of days ago; initially they were advertised for $99 USD, then $129 USD, and now $179. From what has been posted about them, they are over runs from US Army COTS program and may/may not be CHF barrels; if not, they are at the very least built under the TDP. They are built on Remington’s Defense assembly line so they are not the same as DPMS barrels.

Some observations and pictures posted from people that got them from AR15.com: the barrels are proof marked “P” and some have REP = Remington English Proof (It’s their Magnaflux and proof marking), and they are chrome lined. They are not parkerized under the FSB, and the some of the 11.5” barrels have “070” on the left side of the barrel. People have measured the gas port and they measure to .070. The 14.5” barrels gas port measures .063.

Here’s my take: even at $179 USD, for a complete barrel with FSB, front sight pose, and barrel assembly, the price is good. In my parts bin I have a AO Precision MIL-SPEC BCG, BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 charging handle, and LMT Carbine hand guards. Buying all the other parts to include the M-4 upper, nitride gas tube, delta ring assembly, and A2 flash hider was $86 USD with shipping. So for less than $300 USD I get a nice truck gun.

lsllc
01-12-20, 15:35
From what I’ve been told Remington outsources their AR barrels...be it Remington Defense, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc.

From what I understand it’s to several makers and they are button rifled. They are made to spec. The same barrel makers make shit barrels and premium barrels.

ABNAK
01-12-20, 19:05
From what I’ve been told Remington outsources their AR barrels...be it Remington Defense, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc.

From what I understand it’s to several makers and they are button rifled. They are made to spec. The same barrel makers make shit barrels and premium barrels.

That is what matters to me, at or above the dreaded "mil-spec". Like has been mentioned here numerous times, the actual barrel manufacturers can move the complexity (read as quality) up or down depending what a buyer requests and is willing to pay for…..that is the important part!

scottryan
01-13-20, 20:24
Legit?

A real USGI barrel wouldn't not have a sling swivel mounted under the front sight base.

I'd rather have a Colt barrel.

Straight Shooter
01-13-20, 21:35
After all the available facts about anything/everything related to Remington, why in the hell yall would want to buy ANYTHING with that name on it is beyond me.

HCM
01-13-20, 23:45
If one could verify that the barrels were Remington Defense and not from their commercial side I would not hesitate to get one.

My Agency has some 11.5” select fire Remington Defense R4s and they have been accurate, durable and reliable. Remington Defense is whole other world quality wise vs Remington/DPMS/Bushmaster.

Firefly
01-14-20, 12:08
At first I wanted one then nah

ABNAK
01-14-20, 19:00
At first I wanted one then nah

For the price (and stated specs) it was a deal I can afford without much problem and will make for a decent spare to throw in my ever-growing pile of parts. Yes, I am well aware of what that likely leads to! :cool:

Sry0fcr
01-15-20, 10:23
Wish I would have seen these at $99. Still considering it at $180...

ABNAK
01-17-20, 19:13
If one could verify that the barrels were Remington Defense and not from their commercial side I would not hesitate to get one.

My Agency has some 11.5” select fire Remington Defense R4s and they have been accurate, durable and reliable. Remington Defense is whole other world quality wise vs Remington/DPMS/Bushmaster.

What is the barrel marked on the Remington Defense rifles? I got mine yesterday and it is marked as follows (not sure if that indicates the Defense side or the commercial side):

REM
5.56 NATO 1/7

01-18-20, 06:49
A real USGI barrel wouldn't not have a sling swivel mounted under the front sight base.

Actual USGI weapons have been issued with both bottom and side sling mount configurations, so I’m not sure what you’re trying to say.

Hammer_Man
01-18-20, 11:53
Great! Just when I promised myself I wasn't going to build anymore ARs, I find this thread.. These barrels have me curious.

ABNAK
01-18-20, 13:40
Actual USGI weapons have been issued with both bottom and side sling mount configurations, so I’m not sure what you’re trying to say.

It's not a Colt.

veeklog
01-18-20, 15:54
Got mine yesterday; looks nice and will build out a simple M-4 beater/range gun with it. Bought a BCM demo M-4 upper and USGI carry handle; I already have a AO Precision HPT/MPI BCG I got for Christmas, Colt front side swivel, LMT Carbine hand guards, and a BCM Mod 3 charging handle in my parts box. Will compare it next to my Colts, LMT, Noveske, KAC, Sionics, and BCM. Have less than $300 USD invested in the upper

ABNAK
01-18-20, 18:18
Got mine yesterday; looks nice and will build out a simple M-4 beater/range gun with it. Bought a BCM demo M-4 upper and USGI carry handle; I already have a AO Precision HPT/MPI BCG I got for Christmas, Colt front side swivel, LMT Carbine hand guards, and a BCM Mod 3 charging handle in my parts box. Will compare it next to my Colts, LMT, Noveske, KAC, Sionics, and BCM. Have less than $300 USD onesvted in the upper

Well in fairness you DO have more than $300 in that upper.....you paid for those other parts at some point!

I have thought about making one of my M4geries a basic detachable carry handle with M4 oval handguards. No rails, no Aimpoints, just plain-Jane.

veeklog
01-18-20, 21:41
Well in fairness you DO have more than $300 in that upper.....you paid for those other parts at some point!

I have thought about making one of my M4geries a basic detachable carry handle with M4 oval handguards. No rails, no Aimpoints, just plain-Jane.

Oh, I understand what you are saying; and you are right that I probably have much more than $300 USD invested, but since i didn’t buy it all at once, it doesn’t hit the wallet that hard. i buy quality parts everytime there is a sale, and I put those in my spares parts box. The AO Precision BCG I got for $60 USD during a Christmas sale. The bolt is marked MPI/HST and made from Carpenter C158 steel. With a Radian Tactical ambidextrous charging handle I paid less than $115 USD. I still have an extra Daniel Defense BCG and BCM Mod 3 charging handle that I will build another gun; just deciding on what barrel and rail.

Hammer_Man
01-20-20, 14:28
Got mine yesterday; looks nice and will build out a simple M-4 beater/range gun with it. Bought a BCM demo M-4 upper and USGI carry handle; I already have a AO Precision HPT/MPI BCG I got for Christmas, Colt front side swivel, LMT Carbine hand guards, and a BCM Mod 3 charging handle in my parts box. Will compare it next to my Colts, LMT, Noveske, KAC, Sionics, and BCM. Have less than $300 USD invested in the upper

I look forward to your range report.

veeklog
01-20-20, 15:02
I look forward to your range report.

Sending barrel to a John Thomas at Retro Arms Work tomorrow so he can make me the spacer to achieve the 16” length for the A2 flash hider, pin and weld the A2 flash hider, and parkerize under the FSB. Bought the KAC/A2 spacers from ADCO but like an idiot sent them to my house instead of my TDY quarters����*♂️. Luckily JT makes them and they are $5 USD cheaper than ADCO’s. Hopefully will have the barrel back by early next week.

ABNAK
01-20-20, 15:04
Sending barrel to a John Thomas at Retro Arms Work tomorrow so he can make me the spacer to achieve the 16” length for the A2 flash hider, pin and weld the A2 flash hider, and parkerize under the FSB. Bought the KAC/A2 spacers from ADCO but like an idiot sent them to my house instead of my TDY quarters����*♂️. Luckily JT makes them and they are $5 USD cheaper than ADCO’s. Hopefully will have the barrel back by early next week.

John Thomas will park under the FSB? How much is it all going to cost if I might ask?

veeklog
01-20-20, 17:41
John Thomas will park under the FSB? How much is it all going to cost if I might ask?

John quoted me $15 USD; man is awesome

ABNAK
01-20-20, 18:29

$15 or $150? I can't fathom $15, unless it was like 1970! Not questioning you, just thought maybe it was a typo.

veeklog
01-20-20, 19:28
$15 or $150? I can't fathom $15, unless it was like 1970! Not questioning you, just thought maybe it was a typo.

I just checked with JT, and there was a miscommunication on my behalf which was my fault. Nevertheless, here is his reply:

“Hi Thanks for checking on that. I had interpreted that you wanted the sight base parkerized (which is $15). Nonetheless, I'd parkerize that section of your barrel for $15, so it's the same either way. Just a side note... If you happened to have a barrel that was nitride, melonite, or some other surfaced hardened finish, I wouldn't be able to do that parkerizing. The barrel you have pictured appears to be parkerized, so it shouldn't be a problem.”

Man is pure class and my go-to gunsmith!

ABNAK
01-20-20, 20:11
Thanks for the clarification!

rainman
01-21-20, 02:50

JT does outstanding work and usually a quick turnaround. Highly recommended.

-Rainman

scottryan
01-21-20, 13:46

Have any proof of that?

jpmuscle
01-21-20, 14:19
Have any proof of that?

The scroll on his shoulder says he knows more than you

GTF425
01-21-20, 14:36
Have any proof of that?

Proof of under FSB or of a side sling mount?

Here's my issued rifle when I was a Squad Leader in the 82nd.

https://i.imgur.com/bRcAlDn.jpg

I had a Soldier during that time frame with a bottom mount sling loop. I remember it vividly because I gave him a Blue Force Gear pic loop to use because of it. I don't have photos of his rifle because that's gay and nobody does that kinda thing.

Both configurations are issued.

scottryan
01-21-20, 14:38

I had a Soldier during that time frame with a bottom mount sling loop. I remember it vividly because I gave him a Blue Force Gear pic loop to use because of it. I don't have photos of his rifle because that's gay and nobody does that kinda thing.

Your picture isn't working.

GTF425
01-21-20, 14:40
Your picture isn't working.

Neat.

jpmuscle
01-21-20, 14:43
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200121/5a6b079c73c9f0fd5b3102e693c098ec.jpg

scottryan
01-21-20, 14:47

My original comment pertained to a bottom sling mount.

01-21-20, 14:52
Have any proof of that?

Here are pictures of a brand new FN M4A1 about 2 years ago, issued to some cops on Ft Jackson. Left side swivel: https://imgur.com/a/SO4FeDh

Both types of sling swivel setups have been issued; see claims above made by those that have carried these weapons for a living.

Outlander Systems
01-21-20, 14:53
>moving the goalposts

Hahahahaha absolutely btfo’d

GTF425
01-21-20, 14:57

Your original comment contained the following double negative-

If it WOULD NOT have a sling swivel under the FSB; your statement would be that a USGI Colt will have a side sling loop.

If it WOULD NOT NOT have a sling swivel under the FSB; your statement is that all USGI Colts will have an under FSB sling loop.

Sorry for the confusion; your syntax was too cryptic for my 11B mind to follow.

scottryan
01-21-20, 15:02
Here are pictures of a brand new FN M4A1 about 2 years ago, issued to some cops on Ft Jackson. Left side swivel: https://imgur.com/a/SO4FeDh

Both types of sling swivel setups have been issued; see claims above made by those that have carried these weapons for a living.

There is no factory OEM USGI assembly for a replacement M4A1 barrel with a bottom swivel.

Until shown otherwise I stand by my point.

01-21-20, 15:05
my 11B mind to follow.

Muhbruthahfrumanuthamutha. Hence the “11” in “1168”.

Outlander Systems
01-21-20, 15:08
Neat.

There is no factory OEM USGI assembly for a replacement M4A1 barrel with a bottom swivel.

GTF425
01-21-20, 15:12

https://i.imgur.com/XSDUPik.jpg

Me, on the right with a side sling loop, next to a very nice Government Gentleman with an under FSB sling loop; circa 2012, colorized.

Outlander Systems
01-21-20, 15:14
I don’t know what’s so hard for you knuckledragging, ground-pounding, 11Bs to understand, regardless of what you have experienced.

If scottryan says it’s unpossible, then brothers, IT’S UNPOSSIBLE.

Me, on the right with a side sling loop, next to a very nice Government Gentleman with an under FSB sling loop; circa 2012, colorized.

scottryan
01-21-20, 15:17

That isn’t a factory Colt or FN rifle.

Outlander Systems
01-21-20, 15:18
Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Someone Screencap this shit so I can always have a hearty belly-chuckle on a bad day.

GTF425
01-21-20, 15:19

Neat.

01-21-20, 15:23

Are you F’N high?

Outlander Systems
I'm literally awestruck.

Neat.

Outlander Systems
I'm literally awestruck.

Neat.

Eurodriver
01-21-20, 15:25

Are you a Holocaust denier?

Voodoochild
01-21-20, 15:27
Keep it professional or keep out. Only warning.

scottryan
01-21-20, 15:27
Are you F’N high?

Look at the picture. The gun has a commercial consumer waffle stock, not a mil spec waffle stock.

That gun is not a factory assembly. Its some second hand modification.

That picture doesn't disprove anything I said.

Yes, I am going to pick this apart when the gun in question deviates from what it is suppose to be.

RHINOWSO
01-21-20, 15:28

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FxUA7aM09ByyR1w5YWc%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

GTF425
01-21-20, 15:32
Look at the picture. The gun has a commercial consumer waffle stock, not a mil spec waffle stock.

Because they aren't swapped out. Ever.

In the history of issued rifles, no one has ever changed their buttstock.

Outlander Systems
01-21-20, 15:32
This gif made me lose it dude. Thanks! Lol!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?
u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FxUA7aM09ByyR1w5YWc%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Eurodriver
01-21-20, 15:35
He’s trolling the **** out of you guys lol

jpmuscle
01-21-20, 15:38
This is my favorite M4C thread ever.

Thank you everyone.

jpmuscle
01-21-20, 15:41

That gun is not a factory assembly. Its some second hand modification.

That picture doesn't disprove anything I said.

Yes, I am going to pick this apart when the gun in question deviates from what it is suppose to be.

I hope our soldiers know they are in fact carrying fake rifles when deployed overseas in GWOT.

01-21-20, 15:46
He’s trolling the **** out of you guys lol No doubt. But for several years, Scottryan has been posting stuff on here, in a mostly drive-by gruff way as if he is an authority on the topic, and is 50/50 BS. I’d listen to a Private in the SCNG before him.

Fact is, the M4a1 has been issued in more than one format.

Scottryan, you would be better suited to TOS, where they might accept your expertise.

jpmuscle
01-21-20, 15:48
Has anyone told Colt yet they’re supplying fakes?

scottryan
01-21-20, 15:50
and is 50/50 BS.

What you are defining as BS is stuff you don't want to hear.

When you can't answer my points you resort to attacks that pertain to my background.

How many major classified weapon programs have you been on?

GTF425
01-21-20, 15:59

https://i.imgur.com/L07psWd.png

From 1:01 to 1:04 in the video linked. The Paratrooper with the black assault pack.

https://www.militarytimes.com/video/2020/01/02/see-82nd-airborne-troops-head-out-to-support-embassy-forces/

EDIT: Disregard everyone, we can't see his buttstock to verify that's a MIL issued rifle.

Outlander Systems
01-21-20, 16:01
It’s obviously an Airsoft rifle. How many major classified weapon programs has that Paratrooper been on?

From 1:01 to 1:04 in the video linked. The Paratrooper with the black assault pack.

https://www.militarytimes.com/video/2020/01/02/see-82nd-airborne-troops-head-out-to-support-embassy-forces/

01-21-20, 16:02

When you can't answer my points you resort to attacks that pertain to my background.

How many major classified weapon programs have you been on?

Have a nice day, sir.

scottryan
01-21-20, 16:03

EDIT: Disregard everyone, we can't see his buttstock to verify that's a MIL issued rifle.

That is a side mount.

Outlander Systems
01-21-20, 16:06
A classified sling swivel just flew over my house!

jpmuscle
01-21-20, 16:07
That is a side mount.

May sky daddy bless this thread

01-21-20, 16:10

Is that Green Ramp PAAF? Kudos to those
men.

GTF425
01-21-20, 16:15
Is that Green Ramp PAAF? Kudos to those
men.

It is. That was 2-504 taking off earlier this month.

01-21-20, 16:17
It is. That was 2-504 taking off earlier this month.

I am humbled to not be on that flight, as with many others recently. I’m working on that.

26 Inf
01-21-20, 16:38

I don't have photos of his rifle because that's gay and nobody does that kinda thing.

LOL - Where the heck have you been hiding, for goodness sake these guys post pictures of their everyday carry pens, not to mention the watches.

Firefly
01-21-20, 16:48
That is a side mount.

My Dad happens to work at Colt and he told me to tell you that you are wrong and to stop lying.

SeriousStudent
01-21-20, 16:57
Scottryan - you may rest assured that 1168 knows of which he speaks. If he says he's seen it, he's seen it.

Just. Stop. You're embarrassing yourself, and ignoring VoodooChild's instructions. When he says "only warning", you can guess what this post means. People who ignore Mod/Staff instructions receive opportunities to ponder and reflect on life choices.

SeriousStudent
01-21-20, 17:02
First my coffee maker breaks this morning, and now I come home to this.

Sigh.