PDA

View Full Version : Suck it up! Get on the offensive

GMan 19
11-18-08, 21:43
So what will you do about it? Let's show congress that it's a mistake if they pass a AWB.

Suck it up! Get on the offensive.
November 13, 2008

Last Sunday I gave callers 30 minutes to whine, complain, worry, snivel, posture, and generally go through whatever stages of grief worked for them following the election results putting Senator Obama into the White House. After all, we need time to "process" and "deal with it," don't we? (If you missed the show, you can download it at www.guntalk.libsyn.com)

Are you kidding? Suck it up! I have a plan. Many gun owners are living in a fantasy world, meaning they don't know what's going on, don't know how to put it into perspective, and don't have a clue about what is the most effective course of action.

Note the word "effective." Burying your guns is just plain stupid. It's like volunteering to give your guns to the banners, and they don't even have to take action. Give me a break. What's your plan? Dig them back up when tanks are coming down the street? Yeah, right. Time to quit indulging in fantasies, reach in your pocket for some dollars, and buy a clue.

Defense does not win. Hiding does not win. Only going on the offensive will win. But first, some perspective. I started debating this issue in 1967, but it goes back much farther. I have a copy of an article in "This Week" magazine from 1955 titled "Get Rid of That Gun!" It starts out, "The pistol, unregulated and unchecked, is dangerously out of control. Two thirds of all the homicides committed in the United States now involve firearms." It goes on, but it's the same stuff you read today. That was more than a half-century ago!

Why bring this up? Just to show that this is an ongoing battle. This latest setback isn't the end, but it sure is serious. It does mean that we are faced with certain assault on gun rights, and those attacks are likely to come quickly. We have to launch our own broad-based action to beat back the efforts of those who have detailed plans to 1. ban the sale of the most popular rifles being sold (they call them "assault weapons") and used for hunting, competition and personal protection; 2. remove protections against junk lawsuits against gun makers; 3. close gun shows. Their plans are laid out in the web site the Obama transition team put up only hours after the election. Click Here to view (scroll down to the "Crime and Law Enforcement" section). Go take a look at the plan.

ACTION PLAN

So, what do we do? I've always believed that we ultimately win the gun culture war by showing the public that firearms ownership is normal, safe, and that we gun owners are responsible neighbors. That's still my belief, but we don't have time for that right now. This new group of gun banners (Hey, Obama's chief of staff was the gun control point man for Bill Clinton!) are going to move quickly.

How can we fight it? Simple. We scare them. I don't really care if they respect us as long as they fear us. I'm talking about putting those elected folks in fear for their careers. There are enough elected Democrats in Congress that can be defeated if they vote for gun bans to stop this movement.

How do we do that? I can come up with only one way. We have to double, then triple, the membership in the NRA. Please, don't bore me with the "But the NRA sends me too much mail." Look, you're in or you're out. If you are out, you are part of the problem. If you are in, you are part of the solution. Get off your butt and join. Buy memberships for all the members of your family.

WE MAKE IT EASY

Click the "Join NRA" button above and you can join or buy memberships for others. BONUS! We've negotiated a deal for you. The regular price is $35 a year. You can get it for only $25 a year through our link. Also, you can get youth memberships and associate memberships. That last one is important. Other members of your family might be sharing your NRA magazines, and you may not want to duplicate that, so the associate membership is only $10, and the member doesn't get the magazine.

Why is this important? If Chris Cox, head of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action, walks into a Congressman's office backed by three million members, it's one thing. When he walks in backed by 10 million, the reception is totally different. This is pure representative politics. You are sending someone to Washington to represent you. It is the heart of the democratic process in the United States. Right now, the message needs to be clear, and it needs to be backed with political muscle. This is hard ball. It's a knife fight in a phone booth. To lose is to die. We lose our gun rights if the gun banners succeed in the coming battle.

That message we must deliver is, "If you vote for a gun ban, or these other measures, we will send you back home at the next election." Period. We did it in 1994, and regained control of Congress after a 40-year reign by the Democrats, and it was because of their votes for Clinton's gun ban. They need to know we will do it again.

You've heard me say this before. If you are not an NRA member, you are sitting in the wagon, and the rest of us are having to pull your load. We need the help. We need for you to spend the cost of a single box of steel shot magnum loads and join. Then we need you to get your friends to join, or to sign them up.

My new rule. I require everyone I introduce to shooting to join the NRA on the spot. That's right. Hand me twenty-five bucks and I'll go online at www.guntalk.com and sign them up. Anytime someone mentions to me that he or she is a gun owner, I ask if they are an NRA member. If they are not, I embarrass them (if necessary), or do whatever is needed to get them to join.

I'll have more action items for you later, but this is important. This must happen immediately. Sure, you are buying guns, ammo, magazines, etc. So, invest a few bucks to make sure you can keep them!

Do it today.

And...stand by for more incoming.

Tom Gresham

http://www.guntalk.com/site95.php

BlueForce
11-18-08, 21:51
Just read it. The only way I see us RAPIDLY doubling the membership in NRA would be for those of us who already belong to cough up the $35 and sponsor someone into the organization.

Talking people into joining is too slow and wears me out -- watching them put it off for four years while spending their money on something else. Just PAY the thing for them and get on with it. Pick a wife, kid, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, parent, grandparent willing to get the magazine for free and buy it for them!

That's what I'm going to do.

$35 bucks each -- leading to an NRA that doubles in size by inauguration day would be cheap and intimidating insurance policy compared to what we have invested already.

BlueForce
11-18-08, 22:08
Just signed someone up. Now match me...

jaydoc1
11-18-08, 22:29
As I stated elsewhere, I'm adding an NRA membership to everyone on my Christmas list.

Jerm
11-18-08, 22:38
i'm doing the same thing...

well,every gun owner i know that isnt yet a member(at least 3-4 i can think of atm).

BVickery
11-18-08, 23:18
Me and the wife will be joining come pay day. Eventually we hope to be life members.

Thanks for the link.

10MMGary
11-19-08, 01:43
I am a Life Member and both the lovely wife and the son are annual members. I usually get at least one person/friend/acquaintance to join or gift them an annual membership each year. Additionally I donate to NRA ILA branch quarterly. I also write call or email my local state and or national representatives anytime any useless anti gun anti self defence anti constitutional ordinance rules laws or legislation is suggested discussed or proposed.

I figure if the squeaky wheel indeed gets the oil, I want to be thought of as screaming red hot wheel bearing that votes and when possible puts my money where my mouth is. The false non issue of "gun violence" has been used far too long by the pols to enable them to pander to their constituents as a way to allow a large segment of our society to avoid the real issue of personal responsibility and consequences.

Joe R.
11-19-08, 04:30
Now I know what to get the wife for Christmas!

czydj
11-19-08, 05:59
Excellent article and it appears to be a good plan to add some weight to a professional, established organization who will represent us in Washington, DC. I like Tom's comment, "Please, don't bore me with the "But the NRA sends me too much mail." Look, you're in or you're out. If you are out, you are part of the problem. If you are in, you are part of the solution." Too much mail was my main gripe! Too funny!

I'm going to be part of the solution and make sure all my family is signed up for the NRA and I'm taking the crusade to the club too! I'd love to see the NRA at 10 million members by 1/20/2009. Wouldn't that be cool?

BlueForce
11-19-08, 07:39
I'd love to see the NRA at 10 million members by 1/20/2009. Wouldn't that be cool?

It would be appropriately intimidating. :mad:

Gutshot John
11-19-08, 07:50
NRA is great, but we can't leave it to them and think our role is done. We each have to take responsibility but by all means JOIN the NRA. I've purchased three NRA memberships to give out as Xmas gifts.

Grassroots are far more powerful than any "special" interest like Brady.

Write POLITE letters to your representatives and Senators (I already have) and let them know that you're watching and that you vote.

BlueForce
11-19-08, 07:54
Write POLITE letters to your representatives and Senators (I already have) and let them know that you're watching and that you vote.

If "polite" means telling them I will do everything in my power to see them out of office on their next election date if they fail to support our second amendment rights, then that is exactly what I intend to do. Write them a nice, polite letter.

Gutshot John
11-19-08, 08:12
If "polite" means telling them I will do everything in my power to see them out of office on their next election date if they fail to support our second amendment rights, then that is exactly what I intend to do. Write them a nice, polite letter.

If you write an angry rant, you're letter will be put in the "circular" file and your effort will be wasted. Decide whether your point is to preserve the 2a, or simply bully them into compliance. You can do more to preserve the 2a by being professional, than by berating your congressman.

If you are "threatening" (and I don't mean physical violence) about making a point to see them voted out of office. Or imply that there is "no way I would ever vote for you" than you are casually filed away into irrelevance.

Be courteous and professional, let them know (politely) that if they "tow the line" that you would be be "proud" (pick your modifier) to vote for a supporter of the 2a. Even if you'd never vote for them, hold out the possibility that you will. I promise the implication will be heard loud and clear.

It's politics, the best place to be "direct" is the voting booth, in the meantime politicians get defensive and so its best to be "politic".

Scott Gerber
11-19-08, 08:25
Just signed someone up. Now match me...

Signed up my wife last month... match that.....

Scott

Jay Cunningham
11-19-08, 08:52
Believe it or not, those silly pre-printed postcards from GOA addressed to your congressmen actaully get noted - I have received numerous snail mail responses on official letterheads from these.

BlueForce
11-19-08, 08:53
If you write an angry rant, you're letter will be put in the "circular" file and your effort will be wasted. Decide whether your point is to preserve the 2a, or simply bully them into compliance. You can do more to preserve the 2a by being professional, than by berating your congressman.

If you are "threatening" (and I don't mean physical violence) about making a point to see them voted out of office. Or imply that there is "no way I would ever vote for you" than you are casually filed away into irrelevance.

Be courteous and professional, let them know (politely) that if they "tow the line" that you would be be "proud" (pick your modifier) to vote for a supporter of the 2a. Even if you'd never vote for them, hold out the possibility that you will. I promise the implication will be heard loud and clear.

It's politics, the best place to be "direct" is the voting booth, in the meantime politicians get defensive and so its best to be "politic".

If they are already on board all you need to do is say thanks and ask them to keep up the good work.

If they are anti-gun, I do not believe you can sweet talk them into turning pro-gun. Only the stick will work, the carrot just does not have the power to get the job done. They have their rationale in place and polite words are simply not enough to change that. There must be hard consequences for failing to uphold second amendment rights. And many leftist politicians will not care if you don't vote for them personally. So what. They know that you already did not and they are still in office anyway. What they have to believe, and what you should be specific about, is that you will engage in a powerful grassroots movement -- using your time, money, and influence along with many others -- to turn the tide of public opinion against them in the next election if they don't do the right thing. That isn't really a friendly message. It is however a critical one to get across. Then of course you must follow through or it is just idle talk.

There is very little a person can do solo that is going to affect a change in an anti-gun congressman's position. Unless of course you have pictures...

ckmark
11-19-08, 09:25
Life member here :)

Gutshot John
11-19-08, 09:34
If they are anti-gun, I do not believe you can sweet talk them into turning pro-gun.

Nor do I, but it might make them think twice about sponsoring or co-sponsoring legislation. But it's not your single letter that will make a difference, it will be thousands of such letters.

If you berate them for the stupidity of their position, even if I agree its stupid, you won't achieve anything.

Simply remind them that you are a constituent that pays attention to the issue, the implication is loud and clear.

rmecapn
11-19-08, 10:33
Nor do I, but it might make them think twice about sponsoring or co-sponsoring legislation. But it's not your single letter that will make a difference, it will be thousands of such letters.

My senator (Harkin) and congressman (Loebsack) have demonstrated, on more than one occassion, their contempt for my position on such matters. It is a waste of my time to write. They know that they will be elected because of the drones in the unions who are told when to jump and how high and also the academic elitists who support their neo-Marxist cause.

As for the NRA, I might consider joining as one of the new "associate members" which don't receive the magazine. I have no use for their rag. We in Iowa got shut out of the CCW insert because the NRA knew it did not accurately reflect our situation here. I personally don't believe the NRA represents my position on the Second Amendment, at all, but to allow them to add me as a number, it might be worth $10 to send some kind of message to Washington.

Jay Cunningham
11-19-08, 10:54
I am a Life Member of GOA because they absolutely will not compromise.

I renew my membership to NRA in order to leverage something over them.

Dave L.
11-19-08, 16:45
I am a Life Member of GOA because they absolutely will not compromise.

I renew my membership to NRA in order to leverage something over them.

A couple days ago I signed up for the NRA and GOA Lifetime Memberships on the installment plans.

I'm signing up my girlfriend and parents on the associate program.

czydj
11-19-08, 17:50
NRA is great, but we can't leave it to them and think our role is done. We each have to take responsibility but by all means JOIN the NRA. I've purchased three NRA memberships to give out as Xmas gifts.

Grassroots are far more powerful than any "special" interest like Brady.

I think we can all agree, some of our "grass roots" are best left buried in the front yard. Most of us, myself included, are not politically astute enough to make things happen in Washington. There are some of us who can be very passionate about our 2A position. Some, when trying to convey their feelings, can range anywhere from unclear to unnerving. Those aren't the folks we need standing in front of a CNN reporter, giving them an earful. IMHO, a grassroots letter writing campaign to representatives would be tremendously effective. The in-person march? Not so much...

Now, the NRA isn't the Brady bunch. Why the comparo? They are the well known, polished face of gun owners and enthusiasts. It is by no means a perfect organization, but if we unite with them, it may be the best way to add finesse to our argument.

I can and do write my representatives. I'm polite and to the point with what I'm looking for. I believe in participatory government and practice it. I like to write it, let it sit overnight and then re-read it the next day before sending it out. That approach makes it easier for me to temper emotion.

IMHO, we took a whooping, now it's time to get back up and fight with purpose and determination, not unbridled emotion and personal attacks.

A-Bear680
11-21-08, 05:50
Believe it or not, those silly pre-printed postcards from GOA addressed to your congressmen actaully get noted - I have received numerous snail mail responses on official letterheads from these.

Same here for replies to NRA postcards.