PDA

View Full Version : M&P 2.0 5 inch Initial impressiom

dpb1776
01-14-20, 00:54

Picked up this pistol and wanted to give a quick impression. I have been shooting the 5 inch pro model for the last few years plus on several more M&Ps so I have a decent amount of experience with them. My pro has been used in two gun matches and local IDPA matches it is stock except 10-8 fiber optic sights but after shooting the 2.0 today that is going to change. On to the 2.0 I put 150 rounds of 115 grain ball and another 30 or so of hollo point defensive ammo down range, the gun ran without a hiccup. The grip texture is way better than the 1.0 the gun feels glued to your hand no having to adjust your grip. With the metal insert in the frame the gun is stiffer and I did feel a slight difference but some of that could be attributed to the better grip. Not saying it was any better than the 1.0 but it did have a different feel. Trigger seems decent even better than my pro which has 12000 or so rounds through it. But the big thing was accuracy the gun just shoots, at 15 yards it just made 1 ragged whole and was able to get a fist size 5 round group at 25 yards something I could never so with the 1.0. The standard sights are okay but the will be switched out for 10-8 sights I prefer a .110 fiber optic front. But the gun is defiantly more accurate than the 1.0. This one also has the safety but the frame plugs are on their way. I will give a more in-depth review once I get to the 1000 round mark plus detail any modifications. As for the 1.0 it is getting Apex barrel and trigger plus some stippling to the grip I am going to try and do a before and after accuracy review on the 1.0 when I get a chance. If by some chance anyone is interested ,

26 Inf
01-14-20, 02:00
A lot of folks complain about the slide catch changes S&W made to prevent the slide from auto-forwarding upon mag insertion. Here is a thread on this forum which discusses the issue:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?207378-M-amp-P-2-0-Slide-Stop-Modifications-to-Make-Right-Side-Engagement-Easier

I ran about 4,000 rounds through mine before I switched to a Glock 19X - I actually liked the 2.0 quite a bit, but I shoot GSSF so it made sense to switch.

dpb1776
01-14-20, 02:30
I do miss the auto-forwarding a little. Saying that my 1.0 wouldn’t do it on occasion (mainly when I wanted it to lol) I think there’s a fix for it but I have been just dropping the slide for so long I don’t think about it. The 2.0 slide release is a little stiff but was loosening up by the end of the session

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodhi
01-14-20, 05:46
I do miss the auto-forwarding a little. Saying that my 1.0 wouldn’t do it on occasion (mainly when I wanted it to lol) I think there’s a fix for it but I have been just dropping the slide for so long I don’t think about it. The 2.0 slide release is a little stiff but was loosening up by the end of the session

It loosens up at around 800-1k rounds quite nicely.

I've never been an auto-forwarding guy though. I don't want to rely on something like that.

RKB Armory
01-14-20, 07:38
I believe this is a great value in the handgun market. It's available new for $419.

RMike89
01-14-20, 07:58
I agree with RKB ^^

Out of the box and a few warm up mags later to check function and POI, I was able to shoot a 94 on a b8 (defoor hat qual) with it, something that I can rarely do so early with a new handgun. Makes me feel like I've been sleeping on m&ps for 10 years and could've saved myself a whole bunch of money trying to find that perfect fit as ambi controls are hard to accomplish from a manufacturing perspective. I did have to remove the detent and spring so I could actuate the slide release from the right side, after a few thousand rounds I'll re-install and see if it's broken in a bit more.

As of now, the only way to make this gun better in my opinion is to replace the front sight out of the box with a fiber optic and offer it in black, can't stand FDE.

26 Inf
01-15-20, 01:38
I've never been an auto-forwarding guy though. I don't want to rely on something like that.

Yeah, it's kind of funny watching newer shooters when their pistol doesn't auto-forward like they're used to - we used the phrase 'looked like he was beating demons out of his pistol' because they invariable hit the magazine floorplate a couple times.

dpb1776
01-15-20, 10:15
Yeah, it's kind of funny watching newer shooters when their pistol doesn't auto-forward like they're used to - we used the phrase 'looked like he was beating demons out of his pistol' because they invariable hit the magazine floorplate a couple times.

That’s funny

OldState
01-15-20, 12:39
Don’t know why they won’t make the 5” in black.

Anyway, I’m a huge M&P fan but hated the “auto forward”. It was a design flaw that was corrected. Always wondered if the slide went forward with a round or before the mag was fully seated. I used to shoot a lot of IDPA and always was concerned ..... and that was just a game....

andre3k
01-16-20, 02:15
Don’t know why they won’t make the 5” in black.

Anyway, I’m a huge M&P fan but hated the “auto forward”. It was a design flaw that was corrected. Always wondered if the slide went forward with a round or before the mag was fully seated. I used to shoot a lot of IDPA and always was concerned ..... and that was just a game....

They make 5" black model. Check part# 11820.

RKB Armory
01-16-20, 08:00
You're right that part #11820 is a black 5". However, it's the Performance Center Pro Series. I'm surprised S&W hasn't made the standard M2.0 in black 5".

RMike89
01-16-20, 09:00
As am I.

I looked at the pro series when getting into M&Ps and the only discernible difference I could tell were the sights...that's not worth the extra 25% especially when there are less expensive and ultimately better options out there.

dpb1776
01-16-20, 09:51
As am I.

I looked at the pro series when getting into M&Ps and the only discernible difference I could tell were the sights...that's not worth the extra 25% especially when there are less expensive and ultimately better options out there.

I bought the pro after having a couple full sizes. I carried a full size 1911 for years so always like the 5 inch guns. M&P was my first introduction to polymer pistols. I’m going to do a before and after review on my pro after I change out the barrel and trigger plus texture the grip. The accuracy shortcomings and current grip texture became glaringly obvious after comparing to the new one

RMike89
01-16-20, 10:17
I cut my teeth with 1911s from the moment I could legally purchase my first pistol 10 years ago so I know exactly where you're coming from and have no issue concealing a 5" pistol (6'4" over here).

I do wanna point out that the other polymer handguns that I've owned, one of the biggest issue that I've had are the grips. Even gen 4 & 5 glocks with their updated RTF, I always felt that my hands were slipping. The way the 2.0 grips are configured where its similar to 80 grit sandpaper, have not had that feeling once since converting.

What route are you going down in regards to the barrel and trigger, Apex?

dpb1776
01-16-20, 12:43
Agree fully on grip texture, I’m wondering how much that effects accuracy o long strings of fire because the constant need to shift grip. I will be adding an apex semi fit barrel and aluminum trigger and apex internals. I will be documenting before and after so maybe that will give someone something to go on. Didn’t really notice the 1.0 accuracy issue till lately. It’s not horrible but since I have been working hard on my handgun skills lately it’s became noticeable, especially compared to the 2.0

munch520
01-20-20, 20:13
Agree fully on grip texture, I’m wondering how much that effects accuracy o long strings of fire because the constant need to shift grip. I will be adding an apex semi fit barrel and aluminum trigger and apex internals. I will be documenting before and after so maybe that will give someone something to go on. Didn’t really notice the 1.0 accuracy issue till lately. It’s not horrible but since I have been working hard on my handgun skills lately it’s became noticeable, especially compared to the 2.0

Curious to hear your thoughts on the Apex kit. I love it but have found that 'flatty chart' with pull weights to be pretty far off. The "duty" springs in mine, advertised at 5.5#, resulted in a 4.4-4.9# pull.

dpb1776
01-21-20, 11:10
Going to try and get that done the end of Feb then i will try and post and give my impression for all it's worth lol. Really looking forward to seeing before and after then comparing to the new model

Quinn
01-21-20, 11:37
How does S&W CORE slides compare to glocks MOS? I read optics on the MOS need to be tightened every so often..

dpb1776
01-21-20, 11:44
I have never used one before. I want to try pistol optics but I’m afraid I’ll like them [emoji15]. Plus in the middle of upgrading rifle optics my bank account can only take so much abuse

RMike89
01-21-20, 15:14
Haha I'm in the exact same boat...I figured once my eyesight gets to a certain point I'll convert over, but until then I'll be an irons purist. It took me way too many rounds to get to the point I'm at now to throw a wrench into the equation.

Bodhi
01-22-20, 01:51
How does S&W CORE slides compare to glocks MOS? I read optics on the MOS need to be tightened every so often..

Errmm, I think most people who have the MOS issues either have one of two things:

A) They didn't torque to spec OR they didn't use any loctite

B) Their factory MOS plate is slightly bent some how.

I think it was sendef on instagram he said the plates that came with the 2.0 CORE was kind of crappy because it protruded off the slide on both sides.

RMike89
01-29-20, 15:58
There was a reply here earlier about the Fueld By Ed Brown series for M&Ps but no longer here, but after taking a closer look at the upgrades they're offering, specifically the machined locking block that's custom mated to your slide, I'm intrigued. While M&Ps/Glocks/Sig 320 series are in no way shape or form match grade guns, that concept that EB's playing with is absolutely fascinating. I wonder what kind of performance you'd get with the addition of a match barrel & locking block from them...

M_Rapp
01-29-20, 16:18
There was a reply here earlier about the Fueld By Ed Brown series for M&Ps but no longer here, but after taking a closer look at the upgrades they're offering, specifically the machined locking block that's custom mated to your slide, I'm intrigued. While M&Ps/Glocks/Sig 320 series are in no way shape or form match grade guns, that concept that EB's playing with is absolutely fascinating. I wonder what kind of performance you'd get with the addition of a match barrel & locking block from them...
Those Fueled by Ed Brown look pretty sweet, but not sure I am ready to drop $1900 on one..

RMike89
01-29-20, 16:21
Agreed, polymer guns aren't meant to be expensive, but workhorses that are reliable all the time. But getting an oversized locking block and then smithing it down to fit your slide would be a worthy project...

dpb1776
01-29-20, 19:56
I checked out those Ed Brown models. There sweet. But if u was going that route I think I would do the Wilson Combat EDC L model. I played with one at a dealer and had to put it down before it left with me lol

RMike89
01-29-20, 20:02
Dude ya'lls gunshops are nicer than mine if they have a masterpiece like that in stock. I wasn't aware that they made a 5" version of their edc 9 but now that I am I'll go ahead and add it to the list of unattainables, too many hobbies right now to drop $3k on a carry gun.

Smith on an M&P for the time being, I shall.

I just noticed too that you're in GA as well, just curious, what gunshop are you seeing pieces like that in? Only high end gun shop near the city is Chuck's and I felt like I needed white gloves just walking through the front door with the amount of history they have in their presentation.

dpb1776
01-29-20, 20:10
Martins Coins and firearms in Alpharetta is a stocking Nighthawk and Wilson combat dealer, also AR bunker in Newnan stocks high end 1911’s.