PDA

View Full Version : When is it acceptable to buy a stupid car?

CPM
01-15-20, 20:40
All of my life I’ve been pragmatic about my vehicle choices. Chevy Blazer, Ford Taurus, Camry, F150, 2 Ford Edges. I love being able to roll around incognito with a car full of guns, ammo, steel targets, etc... I also love the ability to hop a curb in an emergency. I have a wife and four dogs, so hauling them around is important.

Right now I have a ‘15 Ford Edge with 80k left on warranty. My wife has an LS460 that needs to go. I plan on giving her the Edge and buying a car for myself.

My question is this: knowing that we are going to try and have a child this summer, do I buy a stupid car now, while I can? I was looking at ‘16 Scat Pack Challengers. Or do I buy something sensible as always and expand my household capabilities- like a four door Tacoma around the same vintage?

Is there ever a time where it’s reasonable to buy a two door rear wheel drive sports car?

hotrodder636
01-15-20, 20:46
When you have the money, you are not shorting your retirement and savings and it is an “extra” or third vehicle. That would be my logic.

Business_Casual
01-15-20, 20:47
If you are about to have a kid, batten down the hatches and go into Dad mode. It’s actually quite fun, to be honest.

CPM
01-15-20, 20:48
I check the first two, but I have a two car garage and demand all cars are stored inside of it.

hotrodder636
01-15-20, 20:50
LOL, I don’t even know what it is like to park a daily driver in a garage. My last 2 homes have had 2 car garages and I manage to have them filled with not cars.

Honestly, like Business_Casual said, I would not go getting a car like that right before have a child. Having 2 utilitarian vehicles makes more sense.

I check the first two, but I have a two car garage and demand all cars are stored inside of it.

Todd.K
01-15-20, 21:35
Have fun as long as it only hurts your fun fund. But embrace being practical first, the last thing you want to do is end up resenting your responsibilities.

Unless your schedules (and willingness to swap cars) allow the Edge to always go with who will have the baby, explore fun car options that have four doors. Seriously, if you have not had the pleasure of fitting rear facing child seats, buy one then go sports car shopping with it.

scooter22
01-15-20, 21:45
You only live one short life.

Averageman
01-15-20, 21:51
You only live one short life.

And you don't want to spend it trying to fit a baby seat in a Mustang GT, or better yet trying to get the baby in and out of that seat once you get it in there.

01-15-20, 22:20
Jeep Trackhawk. Will take the ScatPack Challenger off the line, be easy to get baby in/out, space to haul stuff,
0-60 3.5, 707hp, and tops around 180mph.

THCDDM4
01-15-20, 22:53
Unless you have a LOT of expendable funds- skip out on the “stupid car”.

Be practical. You’re having a baby, bro. Think about the future, are you going to have another baby?

Get something reliable. I’d skip Jeep anything.

I’ve seen too many dads being “that guy” with a sports car as a daily driver and a baby, it’s sad.

Embrace being a father and think about what your child(ren) and family will need as you all grow, if you’re going to have more plan ahead a little, your best bet is what will be most reliable with plenty of space to grow with you and your family.

Congrats on the growing family.

Averageman
01-15-20, 22:56
Get a four door Tacoma.
You can thank me later.

CPM
01-15-20, 23:09
Get a four door Tacoma.
You can thank me later.

I need to go sit in one. I’m 6’4” and 265lbs.

czgunner
01-15-20, 23:13
Get a four door Tacoma.
You can thank me later.

This or 4Runner

sva01
01-16-20, 06:26
Get a four door Tacoma.
You can thank me later.

end thread

scooter22
01-16-20, 07:00
And you don't want to spend it trying to fit a baby seat in a Mustang GT, or better yet trying to get the baby in and out of that seat once you get it in there.

Exactly. That’s why you put the baby in wifey’s SUV.

However, if that’s such an issue; wait until your kid is out of the house.

For the love of all things holy, do not forfeit your chance to buy a badass car at some point in your life.

It ain’t rocket surgery, gents.

BradCMSP
01-16-20, 07:02
Baby seat room can be tight in the back of a Taco. Make sure all can fit first.

Bluto
01-16-20, 07:12
Are you mechanically inclined?

When my first was born I wanted, but could not justify, a sports car. I compromised with my wife and bought a cobra kit car when he was a year old. Fast forward ~10 years and little by little it’s built up.

Fun long term project accomplished with little purchases over a long time.

grizzlyblake
01-16-20, 07:32
I have a 2014 4Runner and it just barely fits the rear facing seat but we can throw the stroller, diaper bag, groceries, etc in the rear cargo area where it's dry and secure.

There's no way I would give up that room for a Tacoma.

Maybe think about taking that fun money and investing it for your family and kids to use later.

And I would wait until the baby is home before doing anything. We lost our first baby in a delivery and that was extremely expensive. The second is here fine but that was a C section and not exactly chump change.

Todd.K
01-16-20, 08:28
For the love of all things holy, do not forfeit your chance to buy a badass car at some point in your life.

That is twenty something and single, mid-life crisis after your kids are grown, or irresponsible.

I'm not saying it has to be a Camry, buy that SUV with the bigger engine or a performance sedan but don't half ass becoming a father.

grizzlyblake
01-16-20, 08:56
Yeah you could flip the OP's question to:

"When is it a bad idea to buy a fun impractical car?"

1. When becoming a first time parent
2. In the middle of a divorce
3. Right after a job layoff
4. …..

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-16-20, 09:00
I was the oldest of four kids in the 80s my Dad had a Datsun 200SX that he used to carpool the four of us and two other kids to elementary school..... they'd put you in jail for that now.

Maybe lease something to limit the time and downside.

HCrum87hc
01-16-20, 09:00
That is twenty something and single, mid-life crisis after your kids are grown, or irresponsible.

I'm not saying it has to be a Camry, buy that SUV with the bigger engine or a performance sedan but don't half ass becoming a father.

This. As the father of a nearly 3 year old and a 5 month old, now is NOT the time to buy a fun car. Be practical. I drive a 2010 Frontier, and the wife drives a 2013 CRV. We can't go anywhere as a family in my truck, as the car seats take up so much room in the back, the front passenger seat has to be pushed way up. Once both kiddos are old enough to go front facing, that won't be an issue.

The CRV is the tits when it comes to car seats. There's plenty of room in the back seat, plus we still have a lot of room in the back for strollers, bags, etc. I remember when I used to say I would never own a mini van, but dang if I don't see the practicality of it now. I'll probably replace the Frontier with a full size truck when the time comes and replace the CRV with a minivan. I'd like a 4Runner, but I've loved having a covered bed to haul stuff in. Maybe we can go the 4Runner route instead of a van....I'll have to convince the wife.

TMS951
01-16-20, 09:08
Calculate your reasonable monthly car budget for a transportation appliance.

Calculate your fun budget.

Decide how much of your fun budget you are willing to put into your car budget. You now know how much you can spend on a fun car each month.

With your new car budget see what fun car you can afford.

Life is short the time is now. People who are always waiting and working for a better day and time will never find it because they never learned to enjoy the moment.

grizzlyblake
01-16-20, 09:21
Life is short the time is now. People who are always waiting and working for a better day and time will never find it because they never learned to enjoy the moment.

That sounds cute but is pretty irresponsible advice for a soon to be father. Now, if someone's financial planner says they can live without planning for the future for all the other people they are responsible for, then let 'er rip. Or if you're single and you are the only one who your bad choices affect, do your thing.

To the OP:

For what it's worth I've always been a 4x4 guy and before my son (2yo now) was born I had a dedicated Jeep off road rig and had big plans to build up my 4Runner with new suspension and all the off road gadgets.

After my son was born the things I enjoyed changed and I now find that I enjoy time doing things he wants to do. My wife, son, and I hop into either my 4Runner or her RAV4 and we go do stuff around town on the weekends, or go to the park, or just hang out around the house playing with all the toy trucks my son has.

I envisioned my son thinking my Jeep and potentially built 4Runner being cool and us going on rides together and all, but he actually is way more impressed with school buses and garbage trucks and doesn't notice what vehicle we are in when we go places. I've lost all interest in it as well since I just like to spend time with the wife and son doing stuff he likes to do.

I sold the Jeep and my 4Runner now sits completely stock on sweet highway tires because they ride better for our family beach trips and such.

Ron3
01-16-20, 10:08
Kia Stinger, Subaru WRX, and a few others are fun and 4 door.

Also consider a Dodge Charger. 4 doors.

No manual transmission in the Stinger or Charger, though, if that matters to ya.

Another option is to buy 2 lower prices used vehicles. One practical, one toy.

Sry0fcr
01-16-20, 10:28
You can totes fit a baby seat in the back of a Chally and like 6 strollers, a dead hooker, 8 keys of powder in the trunk. You just gotta move the seat... Every. Single. Time. If you're not man enough to deal with that, there's this thing called a Charger. It's like a Chally, but with 2 more doors and better weight distribution... If anything, be the practical father and stick with the 5.7 R/T, it's only 375/410, you can't get into any trouble with that. Do it for the children.

If you were looking at a Camaro or Mustang I'd tell you that you're nuts.

But don't listen to me, my son came home from the hospital in a Civic Si coupe with nitrous.

flenna
01-16-20, 10:39
Look at Corvette drivers on the road- most are over 50 years old. Alas, youth is wasted on the young.

AndyLate
01-16-20, 10:54
It's acceptable, if not required, when you retire from the military and start work in the civilian sector.

Averageman
01-16-20, 10:58

When faced with this issue, I simply got the Tacoma and put a cap on the back.
Lots more room for "Stuff" lots less expensive than the Toyota SUV.

CPM
01-16-20, 12:48
I should clarify- we are going to try and conceive a child this summer. If that goes perfectly, I have 14 or so months before a child is here.

flenna
01-16-20, 12:52
I should clarify- we are going to try and conceive a child this summer. If that goes perfectly, I have 14 or so months before a child is here.

So you have a 6 month lead time on such? Wow, you have much stronger will power than I do.

TMS951
01-16-20, 13:47
That sounds cute but is pretty irresponsible advice for a soon to be father. Now, if someone's financial planner says they can live without planning for the future for all the other people they are responsible for, then let 'er rip. Or if you're single and you are the only one who your bad choices affect, do your thing.

Well you literally took what I said out of context there. My previous lines were to work it into your current budget, pulling from your fun budget. I didn't say pull from your retirement budget. My suggestion was a fully responsible one. If the OP found he had no room in his fun budget that would answer his question. Being a soon to be father only means pick a fun car that fits a family.

You clearly sound bitter that you never learned to live in the moment and just enjoy life. I hope what ever you working towards turns out to be all you dreamed of while you toss this life away working for it. Because if its not think of all that time lost working for something that isn't what you'd thought it would be. All this is much in line with 'if you find a job you love its not work.'

opngrnd
01-16-20, 14:01
If you are about to have a kid, batten down the hatches and go into Dad mode. It’s actually quite fun, to be honest.

This. You can certainly get a quality family car, but the novelty on fun wears off. The much better (and more fun long term) investment is it what works better for the family.

grizzlyblake
01-16-20, 14:09
Well you literally took what I said out of context there. My previous lines were to work it into your current budget, pulling from your fun budget. I didn't say pull from your retirement budget. My suggestion was a fully responsible one. If the OP found he had no room in his fun budget that would answer his question. Being a soon to be father only means pick a fun car that fits a family.

You clearly sound bitter that you never learned to live in the moment and just enjoy life. I hope what ever you working towards turns out to be all you dreamed of while you toss this life away working for it. Because if its not think of all that time lost working for something that isn't what you'd thought it would be. All this is much in line with 'if you find a job you love its not work.'

Bitter? Nope. I'm not working any more than I would be if I was blowing my money on silly things. I'm just frugal. I'm 35 but I've saved enough that I could walk away and take a bunch of years off of work with no change in lifestyle and not touching a retirement fund. My wife stays home raising the boys.

That gives me much more peace and enjoyment than driving a hot rod to and from work every day.

Everybody is different and that's just me. Stress and worry cause me a lot more discomfort than not having cool things. I get that not everyone is wired that way. My true happiness is to not owe anyone anything and therefore not have to work.

Again, I understand I'm probably an outlier. If I only had the recommended 3-6 months of expenses in an emergency fund I would literally stay up at night worrying about it. So my version of "living in the moment and just enjoying life" means I'm not worried about being someone's slave. Buying things does not give me any true happiness.

Anyway, this really isn't what the OP asked.

So, for him, as a Dad speaking to a Dad to be - Car seats are WAY bigger than you think they are once you get past the click in carrier stage and move into the big rear facing seats (about one year.) Also, babies, even boys, have all sorts of crap that has to go with them everywhere you go, way more than you are expecting.

However, if you can get the wife's car set up to be the 100% family mobile and you will never be delivering the kid to day care or anything in your car, don't even worry about it. Just get what you want since you will literally be the only one ever in the car and will never have passengers unless it's the wife on date night while the kid stays home with a baby sitter.

Evel Baldgui
01-16-20, 14:23
Cars are disposable objects. Their purchase is dependent on ones finances. If one has disposable income and can purchase vehicles in cash, then go for whatever vehicle you can have fun with. I own two, one practical SUV, a cayenne, and a fun daily driver as well, a cayman gts. Driving is boring, driving a Porsche is not!

scooter22
01-16-20, 14:32
Cars are disposable objects. Their purchase is dependent on ones finances. If one has disposable income and can purchase vehicles in cash, then go for whatever vehicle you can have fun with. I own two, one practical SUV, a cayenne, and a fun daily driver as well, a cayman gts. Driving is boring, driving a Porsche is not!

EXACTLY!

Porsche or gtfo.

Pretty excited to hear that they’re putting a flat 6 back in the 718 Cayman GTS.

scooter22
01-16-20, 14:33
Double
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sry0fcr
01-16-20, 14:43
https://youtu.be/nR7GJijTBsI

Don't listen to these people. The V8 rumble will help put the baby to sleep. Did you know that you can also use 87 octane? And it has a 17gal tank? I almost drove from Houston to Odessa without filling up. I was cruising at 90. Pretty quiet cabin. The baby will sleep like, well a baby even at triple digits.

Averageman
01-16-20, 14:47
And you could actually achieve that goal in the back of the Tacoma's bed.
Just thought that needed mentioned.

daddyusmaximus
01-16-20, 14:50
If the wife has a family car... there's your answer. you buy a car that you like, then when you need to go on family outings take hers. You'll still have room enough to pick up the kid in the hot rod from school when time comes... and they'll love the ride home. When the kid is at the sitter, you take the little lady out on the town in the hot rod for date night. Be a dad sure, but be a man too...

You could buy something a little older... I daily drive a 2003 Mercury Marauder. I call it the "gentleman's hot rod". Now it's not as quick as a modern car, but it's a lot quicker than many people give it credit for. It handles a lot better than you'd expect for such a huge 4 door body on frame family sedan based car too. Rides like a dream on the freeway... Stereo sucked, had to do the entire system over... They're kinda getting hard to find, and you may need to put some work in one once you get it but there are very nice. I'm keeping mine 'tll she rusts into the ground.

Here it is done up to represent the VFW I'm Commander of in the Independence Day parade...

https://i.imgur.com/KaIoi0H.jpg

Honu
01-16-20, 14:59
When our first child was on the way bought a BMW 3 series convertible told the wife child seat would fit
When it did not my wife loved the car and we just used the SUV for kid duty and sold the Porsche since it became useless
This was when I was still living on Maui 3 series very IMHO ultimate island car hahahahaha

Have to say glad I did that then we both had it lived it loved it and still had a kid hauler

We make money to enjoy things I feel so do what you and the wife want

Now our BMW was 4 years old at the time super low miles drove it for a few years kept it up sold it for close to what we had into it ($500 less) so buying Smart on anything Like a car takes the sting out when time to move on

I think ya have to love what ya drive that fits in your financial position so does not need to be expensive just something ya love for whatever reason

If the wife is on board go for it

CPM
01-16-20, 15:21
And you could actually achieve that goal in the back of the Tacoma's bed.
Just thought that needed mentioned.

I was shooting for the top of Haystack Mountain in Montana overlooking the Chinese Wall. My theory is it will create some type of superhuman.

Averageman
01-16-20, 16:47
I was shooting for the top of Haystack Mountain in Montana overlooking the Chinese Wall. My theory is it will create some type of superhuman.
Can you get your hands on some Kryptonite?

SteyrAUG
01-16-20, 17:09
When you have the money, you are not shorting your retirement and savings and it is an “extra” or third vehicle. That would be my logic.

Yeah, pretty much. I'd also say when you can afford it and it's a good deal and you aren't losing 40% of the purchase price when you drive it home. It could also be a second vehicle as long as it can function as a daily driver.

When it comes to money I worry about two things. Not having enough money for everything we need and still having money I didn't spend to enjoy life with family and friends after I pass.

I also find, no matter how much money you have, things adjust to eat any excess up so really there will never be extra money. If my household income doubled tomorrow I would simply allocate the extra funds to fix things around the house that I've been holding off on, would upgrade to more reliable and safer vehicles for my wife and I and I'd completely flush any debt I'm carrying up to and including the mortgage on the house.

But in the meantime every once and awhile, assuming it won't mean not paying the electric bill, you have to buy a few things that give life "meaning", something you can enjoy that makes the last 20-30 years of working your ass off amounting to something more than just getting by. Something that will make it acceptable to keep working another 20 years or so depending upon your age.

The times when I've been the most broke and figuring out how to get my head above water, I think of better days when I had my father staying at my house for the winter and taking him out to nice dinners and crap like that and I don't regret a single dollar that I spent even if the steaks were sometimes a little pricey. I imagine those with children feel the same way.

I've been way up and I've been down and I have a reasonable expectation to continue to be doing ok. There will always be opportunity to make more money, but you can't get a second chance at those nice dinners with family who isn't with you any more.

Kevslatvin
01-16-20, 17:21

That's my philosophy. I had a '89 Mazda Rx7 when my daughter was born. Maybe not bad ass to many but a sports car none the less. I still have it today 16 years later. To be fair though I had it when we got married and it was paid for when my daughter was born. My wife's cars have always been the family car. I try to keep her in something newer and dependable and I've ended up with a truck and dirt bike along the way. Having a baby doesn't have to be a death sentence on everything fun or cool. I think you're allowed an impractical thing or two as long as your family doesn't suffer because of it.

AKDoug
01-16-20, 22:06
Bitter? Nope. I'm not working any more than I would be if I was blowing my money on silly things. I'm just frugal. I'm 35 but I've saved enough that I could walk away and take a bunch of years off of work with no change in lifestyle and not touching a retirement fund. My wife stays home raising the boys.

That gives me much more peace and enjoyment than driving a hot rod to and from work every day.

Everybody is different and that's just me. Stress and worry cause me a lot more discomfort than not having cool things. I get that not everyone is wired that way. My true happiness is to not owe anyone anything and therefore not have to work.

Again, I understand I'm probably an outlier. If I only had the recommended 3-6 months of expenses in an emergency fund I would literally stay up at night worrying about it. So my version of "living in the moment and just enjoying life" means I'm not worried about being someone's slave. Buying things does not give me any true happiness.

Anyway, this really isn't what the OP asked.

So, for him, as a Dad speaking to a Dad to be - Car seats are WAY bigger than you think they are once you get past the click in carrier stage and move into the big rear facing seats (about one year.) Also, babies, even boys, have all sorts of crap that has to go with them everywhere you go, way more than you are expecting.

However, if you can get the wife's car set up to be the 100% family mobile and you will never be delivering the kid to day care or anything in your car, don't even worry about it. Just get what you want since you will literally be the only one ever in the car and will never have passengers unless it's the wife on date night while the kid stays home with a baby sitter.

You're not the only outlier.. I have never dreamed of owning a sports car or a muscle car. Yeah, I marvel at the horsepower and the engineering that go into them, but that's about it. I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to drive one, but I'd prefer it on a track. To own one? Nah, not for me.

I can't even stand driving a car of any sort. Crouching down to get in, smacking my head on the door header. I hate even renting cars. I get zero enjoyment out of them.

I like my stuff offroad where there's few rules.. be it in the water, on the snow or out in the sand. No cops to mess with me, just my own bad decisions to hurt myself and nobody else.

However, the same rules apply when you want to buy a boat, an RV, a Jeep, or a car you don't really need. If you are in a place where the money won't matter, go for it. But kids bring responsibilities far beyond what you can budget for. All it takes is one medical emergency and you're in deeper than what a car costs, sometimes even when you have good insurance. I held back all my fun purchases when I had kids, then chose fun stuff like guns and snowmobiles that the kids could enjoy with me once they reached their early teens. Not saying your kids wouldn't enjoy a fun car, just saying that it wouldn't hurt to wait a bit and make sure your kid isn't going to need the financial support you've saved up that you would spend on that fun car now.