PDA

View Full Version : Magpul getting into the “brace” market

hotrodder636
01-16-20, 14:42
Just saw this while perusing FB, courtesy of Magpul page.

https://www.facebook.com/magpul/videos/593549971445284/

Stickman
01-16-20, 15:03
ETA- Disregard

Vic79
01-16-20, 16:56
Stickman what do you know?

omegajb
01-16-20, 17:08
Interesting, looks like a combination of a SB Tactical and Shockwave brace.
Not sure if it improves on either of them though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

WickedWillis
01-16-20, 17:38
Interesting, looks like a combination of a SB Tactical and Shockwave brace.
Not sure if it improves on either of them though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I agree with this. Looks cheap like KAK.

Outlander Systems
01-16-20, 17:49
Bout damn time.

jpmuscle
01-16-20, 17:50
Kudos to magpul for jumping on board the sticking it to the king train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noonesshowmonkey
01-16-20, 17:59
Bout damn time.

My thoughts exactly. Magpul typically delivers the better product at a better price point than just about anyone. I am really excited to see how this goes.

MegademiC
01-16-20, 19:54
Looks good. Like the best of the kak and sb braces. Might pick one up.

gaijin
01-16-20, 19:57
Don’t see them getting much of SBs market share.
Not impressed.

Rogue556
01-16-20, 20:53
I'm glad they decided to break into the brace game..

But..

I really don't think those will be nearly as successful as the SBA3 and SBA4, amongst others.

Those look like they were developed by Magpuls third string JV team. Not exactly what I would expect from them, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

opngrnd
01-16-20, 21:40
They aren't attempting to take over the market. What should matter most is they are helping it become mainstream. I think we'll only see more with such a well known brand behind it.

JediGuy
01-16-20, 22:00
...they are helping it become mainstream

I think this is most important.

Budget
01-16-20, 22:03
Yeah, good on them, but it's a cooler shockwave.

Walker_Texasranger
01-16-20, 22:17
They look terrible.

WickedWillis
01-17-20, 10:44
They aren't attempting to take over the market. What should matter most is they are helping it become mainstream. I think we'll only see more with such a well known brand behind it.

SB has done an incredible job with that already.

Also, every local gunstore I know of has SB stuff on their shelves, and for the market I am in, that means mainstream presence and appeal.

opngrnd
01-17-20, 11:49
SB has done an incredible job with that already.

Also, every local gunstore I know of has SB stuff on their shelves, and for the market I am in, that means mainstream presence and appeal.

Completely agree with you from the perspective of someone who is familiar with the industry. But for your guy who isn't familiar, I think Magpul being involved helps.

WickedWillis
01-17-20, 12:57
Completely agree with you from the perspective of someone who is familiar with the industry. But for your guy who isn't familiar, I think Magpul being involved helps.

Competition always drives innovation that's for sure.

Stickman
01-17-20, 13:39
Stickman what do you know?

According to my better half, I know slightly less than nothing.

There have been a lot of complaints about Magpul taking so long, copying others and taking the easy way out, failing to release a proactive new design, and on and on. I think people need to remember than the name of the game for a company is to make money. The original founder is gone, and the personnel have changed out numerous times, but what has continued is that Magpul makes money. I would guess they are making money now more than ever before. Having military contracts, being on shelves in every gun store, and covering a wide range of OEM on almost every major manufacturer show that Magpul is a powerhouse.

The internet might poo poo this offering, but I have zero doubt that buyers will be lined up to meet with Magpul employees waiting to take their orders and money come day one of SHOT.

JeffM.
01-17-20, 14:24
I agree with Stick that Magpul will make money with these. I’d suspect the major buyers of these will be firearm manufacturers as OEM for their pistols, similar to the myriad of MOE furniture equipped guns that come that way from the “factory”. Magpul now has a turn-key solution for gun makers to dress up their base-model pistols in addition to their rifles. It’s a logical move.

Esq.
01-17-20, 14:41
Don’t see them getting much of SBs market share.
Not impressed.

I'll buy one tomorrow!

jackblack73
01-17-20, 16:24
Have they stated pricing? I’ve always thought most braces are extremely expensive relative to the price of a decent stock. I would expect Magpul to undercut the competition.

scooter22
01-17-20, 19:25
A day late and a dollar short IMO.

It’s hard to beat the SBA3, and this doesn’t.

MistWolf
01-17-20, 19:26
It's good to have Magpul enter the market and I predict they'll make money from this brace, but as a long time brace user I'm disappointed in the design.

opngrnd
01-17-20, 19:33
$59.xx for either.

Milspec78
01-18-20, 18:54
For me it’s either gen 1 shockwave or sba3.
I’m not opposed to something new,but I would have to handle it first.

TMS951
01-19-20, 07:05
The one that looks like a CTR has a nice profile look to it.

The fact they went the shockwave blade style is a total fail and won’t have me buying one. I own all three styles, the tail hook, the rubber sb braces and a shockwave. The shockwave is useless as a brace in that it does hold the arm and least comfortable if the back of it was to be supported against your body.

Oh well. I don’t need another brace anyway.

I am glad magpul is getting into it from a legal standpoint. To me that means their lawyers don’t see them going anywhere and by having more on the market I feel it makes it harder to roll back their legality.

BillyJack2012
01-19-20, 09:32
As someone else pointed out, these will be perfect for AR pistol assemblers that want to put out a Magpul edition. For those that have been doing the brace thing for the last few years, I don't see them migrating to a higher priced blade.

veeklog
01-19-20, 10:54
First time looking at video; will try one out for $59 USD. Any higher no thanks

opngrnd
01-19-20, 13:01
It'll probably be closer to $40 with coupons, etc. I'd happily pay $40 if I were building one and just wanted a simple brace. While I'm good on firearms, not everyone can spend as much. If we think about it fairly, it is almost ridiculous to pay $100 for a simple piece of rubber/plastic for a guy on a budget. If money is tight, they're better off putting that $60 into more mags. Win/win.

Stickman
01-19-20, 15:05
It'll probably be closer to $40 with coupons, etc. I'd happily pay $40 if I were building one and just wanted a simple brace. While I'm good on firearms, not everyone can spend as much. If we think about it fairly, it is almost ridiculous to pay $100 for a simple piece of rubber/plastic for a guy on a budget. If money is tight, they're better off putting that $60 into more mags. Win/win.

Once again, I read one of your posts and find myself in total agreement. No reason for this to be expensive when you look at the prices of MOE stocks.

MagpulBuff
01-19-20, 18:31
Styled to match their stocks. Interested to get hands on the BTR!

bigrobbierob
01-22-20, 15:51
Can anyone who has seen one at SHOT confirm if there is a hole on top of the brace where your cheek may or may not go. Also if there is a hole there ask why please.