PDA

View Full Version : Geissele To Introduce Super Precision Optics at SHOT

AAMP84
01-16-20, 18:00
http://soldiersystems.net/2020/01/16/geissele-to-introduce-super-precision-optics-at-shot/

crossgun
01-16-20, 19:49
Trying to be SIG?

RHINOWSO
01-16-20, 20:30
Likely made by LOW in the same factory as the Vortex Razors, Nightforce NX-8s, and SIG Tango 6 - among other optics.

fingerguns
01-16-20, 21:37
Yawn. I like my G stuff but they are quickly watering their name down. What's next, G tactical underwear?

jpmuscle
01-16-20, 23:14
Just sprinkle some Geissele coffee grounds on it and I’m sure it’ll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALCOAR
01-16-20, 23:28
The bigger you get, the more haters you're going to attract I guess. People already dumping on a product nobody has even seen yet. At least dump on something based on merits.

I'll start crying about Geissele coming out with new products once one of the products I buy ever disappoints.

This optic looks excellent.

vicious_cb
01-16-20, 23:47
Is the reticle illuminated? I see it takes batteries but no mention of a dot or illuminated center.

alx01
01-17-20, 02:49
I think Vortex Razor III 1-10x will the be one to beat for all others. Not sure how it will be at the 10x, but I see no (or very little) reason to be buying anything else in 1-6/8 now.
I'd rather see Geissele make a 2.04" or even a 2.33" mount in 34mm to accept a new Razor. Unfortunately, both mounts (1.93" and 2.04") only come in 30mm now I think.

pitt
01-17-20, 05:10
will these be available with a ''super'' reticle version?

WS6
01-17-20, 05:41
The bigger you get, the more haters you're going to attract I guess. People already dumping on a product nobody has even seen yet. At least dump on something based on merits.

I'll start crying about Geissele coming out with new products once one of the products I buy ever disappoints.

It's a 24oz 1-6 of dubious origin. That's enough for me to "nope" it.

ALCOAR
01-17-20, 06:18
It's a 24oz 1-6 of dubious origin. That's enough for me to "nope" it.

You're not hurting my feelings, I could honestly care less if you, or others like it or not.

I just find it funny to see these replies when nobody has even looked through it yet, but MuH GEiSseLLe sUCkS

Biggy
01-17-20, 07:22
With all the competition out there in optics today, and with probably more to come at SHOT, it will be interesting to see where the price point is on this scope. I wish them well on this, but I agree with WS6, the 24 oz is a nope, for *me*, on a LPVO.
To each his own, but I feel the same way about any LPVO that has too tight of an eye box on 1x, or be it any overweight suppressor on the end of my SBR or tactical carbine’s barrel, for that matter.

SomeOtherGuy
01-17-20, 09:19
https://geissele.com/super-precision-1-6x26-dmmr-1-reticle-black.html

$975 MSRP - maybe actual price too

Specs are extremely close to the Vortex PST 1-6x. The reticle is mil based and looks much like the PST reticle, but with a ranging bar feature added. Objective lens is 26mm, providing a very slight improvement in exit pupil over the common 24mm. Everything else is just what you'd expect and not any new ground. Looks like a solid me-too play, but it's not apparent if it will really stand out over competing scopes that have been around for a while.

60 mils of elevation travel in case you want to use your 300BLK as a mortar.

ST911
01-17-20, 09:33
I will wait for details and a product in hand (or in the hands of trusted others) before I speculate or rush to judgement. It's not the internet thing to do, but seems much more fair to Bill Geissele and the folks who work for him. Even with specs that make me go "hmmm....", certain folks (like Geissele) deserve more wait-and-see than others.

scooter22
01-17-20, 10:39
Details are on their site, and I’ll just say “lol”.

vicious_cb
01-17-20, 10:52
I will wait for details and a product in hand (or in the hands of trusted others) before I speculate or rush to judgement. It's not the internet thing to do, but seems much more fair to Bill Geissele and the folks who work for him. Even with specs that make me go "hmmm....", certain folks (like Geissele) deserve more wait-and-see than others.

Agreed, just looking at the price point I don't think this was ever intended to compete with the higher end LPVOs.

jpmuscle
01-17-20, 11:05
Maybe bendy boi optics will be the hot hot in 2020 [emoji848]

Ha

B Cart
01-17-20, 11:56
They missed the boat by not coming out of the gate with a 1-11 power LPVO. 1-6 was so 2018

WickedWillis
01-17-20, 12:29
They missed the boat by not coming out of the gate with a 1-11 power LPVO. 1-6 was so 2018

I'm still waiting for those cheap used Razors to hit the market :laugh:

B Cart
01-17-20, 13:29
I'm still waiting for those cheap used Razors to hit the market :laugh:

haha but seriously! I would love to see the Gen 2 Razor 1-6 Es start popping up cheap!

Biggy
01-17-20, 13:32
I believe the IP66 rating = no submersion in water.

georgeib
01-17-20, 14:38
At least they had the sense to make it SFP.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-18-20, 02:06
Low End 1-6: Viper PST Gen 2
Mid Range 1-6: Razor Gen 2 E
High End 1-6: Kahles K16i, Mk6

So with the 1-6 market already over saturated, and with the 1-8 market cornered pretty well by the Accupower, NX8, Atacr, etc, and with companies now releasing 1-10's, Geissele decides to release a high priced mid range 1-6? Wtf?

WS6
01-18-20, 06:04
You're not hurting my feelings, I could honestly care less if you, or others like it or not.

I just find it funny to see these replies when nobody has even looked through it yet, but MuH GEiSseLLe sUCkS

...nothing about its specs make me want to try it. I'm not trying to make anyone feel any sort of way.

WS6
01-18-20, 06:05

The first one who makes a 1-11 is required to advertise it spinal tap style.

mack7.62
01-18-20, 09:00
Trying to do too much too fast is a recipe for failure that has taken down many a good company.

Novak
01-19-20, 08:47
Yawn. I like my G stuff but they are quickly watering their name down. What's next, G tactical underwear?

This.

Offensive
01-19-20, 21:08

Right there with you. Just bought one of their optic mounts and it is rock solid

RHINOWSO
01-19-20, 21:27
Trying to do too much too fast is a recipe for failure that has taken down many a good company.

So is failure to diversify....

jpmuscle
01-19-20, 21:33
So is failure to diversify....

They’re selling coffee now for Christ’s sake.

They’ll sell optics because Geissele and that’s all they need to do.

sidewaysil80
01-19-20, 21:34
I’m glad to see them not jump on the ffp 1-8+bandwagon. Personally I care more for 1x field of view and performance than I do with mag over 6x in a lpvo. Basically I’m hoping this delivers Razor 1-6 1x ... but I doubt it at that price point.

dangrullon87
01-22-20, 09:22
At the price range of $1000 (without discount) I can see G is really trying to go after Sig Sauer who released their Tango 6 around the same price 1000-1300. Reviews will tell how good it is, but for sub $900 or less with a discount this could be a great value.

RHINOWSO
01-22-20, 12:36
Likely targeting LEOs with this as an option to the Razor / Tango 6.

markm
01-22-20, 15:26
I'm always willing to add another LGBTQVO optic to any of my 6.5 prius guns! :cool:

Outlander Systems
01-22-20, 17:17
Does this have a microprocessor with the ability to push MV, BC, Bullet Weight, etc. for auto configuring a BDC via Bluetooth?

everready73
01-22-20, 18:18
Is Japan definitely country of origin? I didn't see it stated anywhere.

While more of the same, if MSRP is $975 and it is comparable to the razor quality glass wise, I can see them selling a good bit of these if vendors pick these up and they sell under $900

Leftie
01-22-20, 20:17
This is a bit concerning - from the Geissele website: "Being a Second Focal Plane, the DMRR-1 reticle will maintain its size through the scope’s zoom levels."

I understand what they are saying, but to people unfamiliar with First Focal Plane (FFP)/SFP differences, this is unintentionally misleading at best.

While the reticle will maintain its size relative to the field of view the values (in MILs) will differ in size (eg: at 6x 1 MIL will equal 1 MIL, but at 3x the value on the reticle will double, if ranging magnification is calibrated at 6x) relative to magnification. This is partly the reason why FFP exists - to keep the ability to use a reticle to range and engage targets with the same angular unit of measurement (MILs in this case) at any magnification value. Am I the only one who read this sentence and had a minor WTF moment?

60 mils of elevation travel in case you want to use your 300BLK as a mortar.

I chuckled at this one... so how many turns of the turret does that equate to MOA?:laugh:

Mack7.62, I agree with you, and I'm sure that others with more business experience than I share the sentiment, but I also think (as others have mentioned previously on this thread) that a failure to "innovate in the marketplace" (blatant consultant/startup speak) has equally damaged established companies.

Personally, I'd like to think that Geissele as a company has enough experience to avoid both of these business pitfalls and strike a balance. In reality though, I'm scratching my head as to why they got into the optics game, especially as the 1-6x optic market is pretty saturated with players such as Khales, Vortex, and Nightforce.

I wish them the best of luck with their new product, and hope that it meets or exceeds customers' high expectations of what the Geissele brand name represents.

RHINOWSO
01-22-20, 20:24
Is Japan definitely country of origin?
No but it was my assumption at the price point. Could also be the PI if they expect it to sell at significantly less than MSRP (ala a Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x24).

jpmuscle
01-22-20, 21:38
Does this have a microprocessor with the ability to push MV, BC, Bullet Weight, etc. for auto configuring a BDC via Bluetooth?

Stop asking for things that should legitimately exist in 2020 and buy some precision Covfefe.

RHINOWSO
01-23-20, 07:43
Ask SIG, they are trying to do that with flashy lights on their BDX lineup.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/bdx.html

Outlander Systems
01-23-20, 08:16
Thanks for the heads up.

This is an actual step forward in optics. There’s only so many ways to put an LED in an aluminum tube before I stop coming off my money.

Ask SIG, they are trying to do that with flashy lights on their BDX lineup.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/bdx.html

RHINOWSO
01-23-20, 22:27
Thanks for the heads up.

This is an actual step forward in optics. There’s only so many ways to put an LED in an aluminum tube before I stop coming off my money.
Mind you, that's not a recommendation just a vector to look.

SIG isn't a company I'd buy much from, especially most optics since they are liable to drop the whole lineup overnight and never update the software, so you won't find me buying this - however I think the concept, wrapped tightly into a single optical unit (scope with LRF / ballistics) will someday be 'the way it is'. Some companies have tried it and of course until its well done, rugged, and repeatable, things won't take off but when you think of aircraft weapon systems and dynamic aiming, you have to think at some point there may be viable attempts to start to bring that technology to the individual shoulder fired weapon. I'm sure it'll be 10-50 years before that happens but eventually (like you said) there are only so many ways to make a LPVO reticle, illumination, etc before its all been done.

Obviously we are in the FFP v SFP change, as well as the smaller lighter faster (in general), but eventually I imagine viable attempt to electronic ballistics / ranging will occur. Maybe.

Or we go to powered energy weapons with zero drop that travel at the speed of light, so the whole ballistics / ranging becomes moot. ;)

Leftie
01-24-20, 10:24
Not to hate on SIG, but I've been very unimpressed with their variable power optics and wouldn't purchase one - especially given the number of other players in the market at or near their price point. A friend of mine last weekend summed it up pretty well: "what do you call a 1/2 MOA accuracy, finely tuned, high-quality rifle with a low-quality optic and mount? A low-quality rifle."

While I admire what they are trying to accomplish, and see dynamic/"informed" aiming technology as empowering, until the Size, Weight, and Power (SWaP) factors coincide with the right durability and price, I think that the technology will be a novelty.

RHINOWSO makes a really good point about the possibility of SIG dropping parts of their optics line, or just not updating software/firmware. I don't think that it's inconceivable, especially as SIG seems to be evolving into a company which is a government contractor that makes firearms and ammunition for the public and private sector, as opposed to a firearms company that bids on government contracts and wins them. I'd bet that at least some of their optic offerings were directly influenced by what they viewed as low-hanging fruit within available solicitations.

I guess that only time will tell...

glocktogo
01-24-20, 11:24
Thanks for the heads up.

I believe Steiner is going to be your Huckleberry, but be prepared to call your loan officer:

https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/m8xi-ifs-1-8x24

https://www.steiner-optics.com/sites/default/files/Specifications/sheet_m7xi_ifs_m8xi_ifs_0.pdf

Every time I see a basic LVPO weighing a pound and a half I have to ask, is it made of lead? I mean you're trying to load balance and come up with a package that's fast, maneuverable and still has the ability to reach out a bit, but you're going to throw a pound and a half on the highest point on the fulcrum? Ten years from now people are going to figure out that's not where it's at and all these high dollar boat anchors are going to be collecting safe lint.

What we really need is an advancement in construction and materials that will allow for a rugged LVPO with 8-10X on the upper end and a weight point around 15oz. The closest I've seen so far is the VX-6 Multigun (discontinued), superlight at 13.4oz but lacks a couple of features and Leupold hasn't had the best track record of late. :(

jpmuscle
01-24-20, 12:24
I believe Steiner is going to be your Huckleberry, but be prepared to call your loan officer:

https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/m8xi-ifs-1-8x24

https://www.steiner-optics.com/sites/default/files/Specifications/sheet_m7xi_ifs_m8xi_ifs_0.pdf

Every time I see a basic LVPO weighing a pound and a half I have to ask, is it made of lead? I mean you're trying to load balance and come up with a package that's fast, maneuverable and still has the ability to reach out a bit, but you're going to throw a pound and a half on the highest point on the fulcrum? Ten years from now people are going to figure out that's not where it's at and all these high dollar boat anchors are going to be collecting safe lint.

What we really need is an advancement in construction and materials that will allow for a rugged LVPO with 8-10X on the upper end and a weight point around 15oz. The closest I've seen so far is the VX-6 Multigun (discontinued), superlight at 13.4oz but lacks a couple of features and Leupold hasn't had the best track record of late. :(

I mean let’s be real the future is a RDS with BDC adjustable turrets. LPVOs can gtfo

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200124/77b5cde7e4d39b75fa53680ea4a0e3d6.jpg

[emoji1787]

Leftie
01-24-20, 15:22
I mean let’s be real the future is a RDS with BDC adjustable turrets. LPVOs can gtfo

[emoji1787]

:sarcastic: I'll take the Aimpoint if they make it with a .6MIL dot... Who needs magnification for IDing targets at a distance anyway? We all know people just use the 1x and the tube/reticle is for coolness factor.

Also, is it just me or do those new Steiner optics look like a Star Wars spaceship: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/1/12/MP-Tantive.png/revision/latest?cb=20140412000103

Come to think of it, the Aimpoint doesn't look far off either!

glocktogo
01-24-20, 19:31
:sarcastic: I'll take the Aimpoint if they make it with a .6MIL dot... Who needs magnification for IDing targets at a distance anyway? We all know people just use the 1x and the tube/reticle is for coolness factor.

Also, is it just me or do those new Steiner optics look like a Star Wars spaceship: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/1/12/MP-Tantive.png/revision/latest?cb=20140412000103

Come to think of it, the Aimpoint doesn't look far off either!

Quick! Call up a hammerhead corvette!

Leftie
01-25-20, 08:08
Quick! Call up a hammerhead corvette!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/2/2d/Hammerhead_Corvette_USWNE.png/revision/latest?cb=20200119222636

I see the similarities with the Aimpoint!

LOBO
01-25-20, 08:09
That Geissele optic just has a cheap look to it. Just my opinion.

RHINOWSO
01-25-20, 19:14

Hopefully it has 1/10 Mil adjustments so you can be precise with your dope. :sarcastic:

Rogue556
01-25-20, 22:02

Not going to lie, the moment I saw this was Aimpoints big Shot Show talking piece, I wanted to rage quit and flip furniture in my house like a drunken redneck in a trailer park.

Seriously, all they had to do was release an ACRO with decent battery life. That was all that was expected of them.

YOU.HAD.ONE.JOB.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

jpmuscle
01-25-20, 22:25
Not going to lie, the moment I saw this was Aimpoints big Shot Show talking piece, I wanted to rage quit and flip furniture in my house like a drunken redneck in a trailer park.

Seriously, all they had to do was release an ACRO with decent battery life. That was all that was expected of them.

YOU.HAD.ONE.JOB.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Dude... I empathize with your rage.

I feel zero qualms now about planning to pick up on of the new closed emitter holosuns.

Outlander Systems
01-26-20, 12:17
My wish has been granted.

https://youtu.be/DJwf7ISU9Vg

Torquetard
01-26-20, 18:24
The reticles going to have a flicker rate that makes you buy more geissele shit

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-26-20, 19:00

[emoji1787]

I thought this was a joke until I just now googled it. Good lord aimpoint, how the mighty have fallen. Holosun, I can't believe I am saying this, but take my money.

SomeOtherGuy
01-27-20, 17:03
I haven't seen much reporting on this scope, but did find this:

https://firearmrack.com/geissele-super-precision-1-6x-optic-shot-show-2020/

Highlights:
-made in Japan by LOW
-illumination not as bright as some
-"good glass" (the reviewer doesn't sound like an expert, after saying that SFP means your reticle size will change - only true in relation to the target apparent size, not in the way most people think about things)

Tokarev
01-27-20, 18:36
Hopefully it has 1/10 Mil adjustments so you can be precise with your dope. :sarcastic:Not to drift this into an Aimpoint thread but what the heck is this? I'm going to range to target with my 2 moa dot and then dial in the appropriate dope? Not sure what Aimpoint is trying to do with this one. Especially not with an MSRP of $1100.

Aimpoint needs to make an actual scope. Put in their daylight bright illumination and battery life and they will have a winner.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SomeOtherGuy
01-27-20, 23:38
Not to drift this into an Aimpoint thread but what the heck is this? .... Aimpoint needs to make an actual scope. Put in their daylight bright illumination and battery life and they will have a winner.

Fat lady hasn't sung yet, but Aimpoint is looking like the textbook example of a company that dominated one product but failed to recognize obsolescence and develop something new to keep market share. Glock is in danger of going there too. I thought it was odd several years ago when EOTech came out with fairly conventional scopes made by LOW, but at least they are trying to stay relevant.

Tokarev
01-28-20, 05:16
I thought it was odd several years ago when EOTech came out with fairly conventional scopes made by LOW, but at least they are trying to stay relevant.

The EO Tech scopes (at least the one I messed with) use the reticle EO Tech is known for.

I agree with the potential to get so entrenched in one market as to get left in the dust by other companies. Aimpoint could likely figure something out easily enough. Either take their red dot technology and apply it to a line of scopes or take the existing red dot and add some new reticles to it. Maybe a couple additonal dots or hash marks that can be used for ranging and holdover or something similar.

SomeOtherGuy
01-28-20, 11:13
The EO Tech scopes (at least the one I messed with) use the reticle EO Tech is known for.

The 1-6x does, the higher magnification 2.5-10x, 3.5-18x and 5-25x do not. They could easily have come from any other company in the market. Quite decent scopes though.

I agree with the potential to get so entrenched in one market as to get left in the dust by other companies. Aimpoint could likely figure something out easily enough. Either take their red dot technology and apply it to a line of scopes or take the existing red dot and add some new reticles to it. Maybe a couple additonal dots or hash marks that can be used for ranging and holdover or something similar.

Kinda like what EOTech introduced 15-20 years ago and what you can get on some cheapie RDS? Not aiming very high.

The Meprolight sight at top of this page is interesting but also doesn't aim very high. IMHO the future is computer-integrated sights with, at minimum, a rangefinder and automatic BDC. Something that could identify targets, or at least circle objects that are moving relative to the background, and compute lead on moving targets would be nice too. This may sound sci-fi but the technology is all there, it's just a matter of integration, packaging, and pricing. Burris has had crude versions of the rangefinder-BDC concept for years now, and Barrett has the much higher end BORS system.

35mm film camera technology reached a really high mark in the late 1990's then stagnated, while digital cameras were either very crude (consumer) or impossibly expensive (pro grade, $20k and up when cars cost less than that). Now 35mm is largely an antique collecting dust, and digital cameras are so good, small, and cheap that a lot of phones have cameras that can be used for less demanding professional work. I expect the weapon optics field to make this kind of change in the next decade. I think the current state is about where digital cameras were in 2004.

MJDGator
01-28-20, 16:37
No ability to comment on quality but Geissele has mentioned that a 1-10x and 2-12x are in the works.

jpmuscle
01-28-20, 16:50
No ability to comment on quality but Geissele has mentioned that a 1-10x and 2-12x are in the works.

Probably a few new coffee blends too.

RHINOWSO
01-28-20, 18:16
Makes me wonder if Aimpoint actually had a Gov customer request this adjustable CompM5 thingy - because that whole lineup sees to be by Gov't request.

Tokarev
01-28-20, 18:45
Makes me wonder if Aimpoint actually had a Gov customer request this adjustable CompM5 thingy - because that whole lineup sees to be by Gov't request.I wonder that too.

Tokarev
02-10-20, 15:49
In stock. Anyone fo yet?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO
02-13-20, 09:08
In stock. Anyone fo yet?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

No real interest, my PST Gen 2 1-6x24 does fine at about 1/2 the price.