PDA

View Full Version : DPMS complete lower - Good to GO?

luv2pbal
11-19-08, 11:27
i can get a NIB dmps complete lower for 350. im sure its a little higher than it was 2 months ago. but is this a decent lower to start out with? or should i wait till i can get a better quality rifle? this is about my only option right now for an ar15 as all other dealers are out of stock....i can get a smith and wesson complete rifle for $1,040 but its a little out of my price range

bkb0000
11-19-08, 11:41
i can get a NIB dmps complete lower for 350. im sure its a little higher than it was 2 months ago. but is this a decent lower to start out with? or should i wait till i can get a better quality rifle? this is about my only option right now for an ar15 as all other dealers are out of stock....i can get a smith and wesson complete rifle for $1,040 but its a little out of my price range

do it- the only problem with not-colt-or-lmt lowers is the risk of being a bit out of spec, but if it's already assembled then you're good to go. a lot of guys, including myself, often use DPMS lower parts kits (or about 80% of it, anyway), so no worries there. the trigger probably isn't that fun, and the stock is probably boring, but you can replace both those easily, once you dick around with it and decide you want some new shit.

bkb0000
11-19-08, 12:21
just so happens i was just at brownells and noticed that the DPMS complete lowers are both under $300. out of stock, but I've been hearing a lot of good things about brownells shipping items labeled as out of stock. you could give them a call. keep in mind the transfer fee to your FFL.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=19600&title=AR-15%20LOWER%20RECEIVER

woofe
11-19-08, 16:30

I've generally had good luck with DPMS LPK related stuff. The exception is the springs. Especially the hammer spring. Plan on replacing it with a Wolf or other quality hammper spring 3k or so rounds down the road.

woofe

uscbigdawg
11-19-08, 16:53
Good to go.

Rich

uspopo
11-19-08, 18:41
That is a fair price in our current political climate so go for it...

Stan

ST911
11-19-08, 19:14

What do you want the gun to do? If you have realistic expectations, the DPMS may meet your needs.

luv2pbal
11-19-08, 20:21
im just looking for a starter AR...think i may go with the MP15 though. found a full rifle with with the troy sights NIB for just around 1,000 shipped...might break the bank but i feel more comfortable buying that

Code3Patriot
11-19-08, 20:44
I would defiantely go with the M&P over the DPMS. With everything going crazy right now you won't regret buying the complete rifle.

sgtmajor
11-19-08, 20:51
considering i see stripped lowers on other sites going for $220 i would purchase with a quickness. the first AR i had was a DPMS and i have to say after a quick trigger job it worked great all the way up untill i purchased a LMT which i still have to this day. :D

NWPilgrim
11-20-08, 00:36
I have two rifles of DPMS lowers bought a year ago with LMT uppers bought a few months ago and they both fit well.

That said, if you ever think you might resell it an all-one-brand complete rifle will bring a better price.

bkb0000
11-20-08, 01:46
I have two rifles of DPMS lowers bought a year ago with LMT uppers bought a few months ago and they both fit well.

That said, if you ever think you might resell it an all-one-brand complete rifle will bring a better price.

negative... if you're selling to someone who knows ARs, a DPMS lower with a LMT upper will sell for more than a box smith any day, especially if you've got a nice trig and stock. LMT uppers go for almost the same price as complete smiths.

bimmerbill
11-20-08, 09:20
Dang! My gunsmith buddy had a bunch he was selling for $250. Both my cousin and I picked up 1 each. Complete lower with folding stock.

Maybe I should have bought a few more...

bkb0000
11-20-08, 09:49
Dang! My gunsmith buddy had a bunch he was selling for $250. Both my cousin and I picked up 1 each. Complete lower with folding stock.

Maybe I should have bought a few more...

that's a good deal, right now during these dark, dark times. you should go back and get all of them.

i'm not even sure how many stripped lowers i've bought in the last month. when i find a good one or three at a good price, i can't pass it up. I'm uncomfortable with what the near future may hold.