PDA

View Full Version : Gouges in fired casings. OK?

mattal21
11-19-08, 12:59
Sorry im new to AR'S and noticed these gouges on all of the fired casings that i picked up and was wondering if it was ok

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq74/mattal21/DSCF0519.jpg

markm
11-19-08, 13:22
Tag to see pics later. (the images are blocked where I am now)

bkb0000
11-19-08, 13:36
you must be running one of those new Sooper Ultra Turbo 5000s... 20" barrel with a carbine length system, running suppressed on full auto with a non-h buffer and hot loads, right? that's my favorite hunting setup.

Highway 55
11-19-08, 21:10
What brand rifle do you have? I have a S&W M&P15A that makes similar marks, except further down on the case.

skyugo
11-19-08, 22:17
probably hitting the feed ramps on the way in. i get a little of this as well.

bkb0000
11-19-08, 22:40
probably hitting the feed ramps on the way in. i get a little of this as well.

must be some deep ass feedramps.

mattal21- you got calipers? take a measurement of the gouges, low point to low point.. then measure your lugs, then measure your feedramps.

i was thinking it was extracting super hard, biting the lugs in the barrel extension on the way out.

M1A2_Tanker
11-19-08, 22:56
My S&W M&P15T does the same exact marks but mine were alot deeper, when I sent it back to smith for the pinned gas block/short stroking issues, I mentioned this and also sent a handfull a spent cases. When the gun came back to me the feed ramps were polished. I have only fired a few hundred rounds of wolf since then and havent seen them in the steel cases. However there was no mention on the service order receipt about anything other than the gasblock being replaced. So who know's?

ETA: here's a photo, im no stickman! I had a hard time with the lighting. The two on the ends look like the ones posted above, the center two are longer but not as deep.

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo300/M1A2_Tanker/P1010129.jpg

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo300/M1A2_Tanker/P1010121.jpg

bkb0000
11-19-08, 23:00
hmm... well whatever the case, i dont think that's cool. somethings getting abused, even if it's just the casings.

M1A2_Tanker
11-19-08, 23:38
I dont reload yet, but I also wondered if this is normal/safe to reload?

bkb0000
11-20-08, 00:01
THOSE look like feeding dings/scrapes..

OP's dont, to me. but I am not the diagnostic expert here.

spamsammich
11-20-08, 00:10
Does the pitch of those scratches match the pitch of the barrel extension lugs? Are you running an o-ring on your extractor?

edit: Scratch that OP, the direction of those marks make it look like a feeding issue. I should have waited a couple more minutes before posting to process what I was seeing.

bkb0000
11-20-08, 01:49
Does the pitch of those scratches match the pitch of the barrel extension lugs? Are you running an o-ring on your extractor?

edit: Scratch that OP, the direction of those marks make it look like a feeding issue. I should have waited a couple more minutes before posting to process what I was seeing.

what would lug dings look like?

mattal21
11-20-08, 13:58
I have a Smith and Wesson M&P15A. I was wondering if it was ok because I may start reloading sometime in the near future and if its not normal the I was going to send the rifle back to smith and wesson and let them take a look at it. Its pretty much brand new and I only have 30 rounds through it. I Also have been having some finish issues and thats another matter and is in a different thread.

boltcatch
11-20-08, 14:21
I noticed the same marks on my brass this past weekend and was wondering what was up... 16" midlength with M4 ramps, carbine buffer and suppressor.

mattal21
11-20-08, 18:14
and there is an oring on the extractor

Mac5.56
11-21-08, 00:21
I've been lurking, this is my first post.

I have an M&P 15, I bought it several months ago and I used the chart on this site as a reference. In my area it was either S&W, Bushmaster or DPMS, I went with the Smith.

I've had the same feed problem, plus a nice little add on for flavor. Here is the history:

1. The second round through the gun jammed (S&W Mag ((CProducts)), Black Hills Ammo).

This is my first semi auto firearm (I have been shooting my whole life, but this is the first semi I've bought and owned from the start)... The round didn't chamber properly and I stopped dead at the bench. An old timer told me to chill and eject the round.

The round had the same marks as in this thread. But, the two lines that run the length of the cartridge were also on bullet itself, and I assume (in my ignorance of mechanics) that the round hit something on it's way to the chamber.

I was ready to run back to the dealer and hit them over the head the rifle he just sold me. The old timer suggested that rather then turn my gun into a club, that I plug a few rounds through it and watch for the problem to get worse or better.

2. That day I put 100 rounds through the rifle and I never had another misfire. My fiance and I collected all of the rounds after every magazine. The lines went down over time. At the end of the day I could barely see them.

3. I'm through several rounds of ammo (of different brands too), and the lines (while still there) are more like surface scratches than anything obvious and mechanical.

The old timer told me it was a burr that needed to be worked out. I thought he was full of shit, and I still doubt the rifle because of that first misfire. But all sense says that he's right and that I just needed to break in the firearm.