PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please?

Person
11-19-08, 13:49
First off I would like to say this forum is awesome! The amount of knowledge and the way everyone goes about expressing their opinions are what make it great. I have been involved with a lot of different forums and it is not like that on all of them.

I am looking for your opinions on an M4 purchase I plan on making. I already ordered a Stag complete lower and from what I have read they are pretty good for the price. I am now trying to determine what upper to get. Originally I was just going to go with the Stag M4 1H upper but after looking over the comparison spreadsheet I found on this site I am leaning towards spending the extra money for a BCM or LMT.

Then I got to thinking again. This rifle will be used for plinking and to be honest with the amount of free time I have or should I say lack of free time I don't see myself putting over 500 rounds a year through it. I seriously doubt I will ever use this rifle for protection as generally for home protection I lean towards my Winchester Defender. I am also not one to sell firearms so resale value is not a big deal to me.

That leads to my question.... For my purposes is it really worth the extra money for one of the higher end uppers?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Person

markm
11-19-08, 14:09
You're probably good to go with the stag upper. Patrick Sweeney wrote and article on a class he took with a Stag gun. He ran thousands of rounds of wolf through it with only a few minor issues associated with wolf ammo.

You'll be just fine with a stag upper.

Gunner220
11-19-08, 14:14
My Sabre Defence is the most accurate of all the ones I own. This day and time you might not have too many options. Many places don't seem to have them no matter what brand.

http://www.sabredefence.com/

Dave L.
11-19-08, 14:16
Stag should be fine...but you WILL want to upgrade later.
I would try, and I mean try, to get an LMT upper, for the little extra it is worth it.

A good 556 NATO chamber should eat the shit out of Wolf, it's great training ammo.

Person
11-19-08, 14:27
Thanks for the info guys! I realize that I am going to have to wait a couple of months after I order at this point but I don't mind the wait just as long as I get it sometime....

So how much would a complete LMT upper run with front/rear sights? Looking at the different vendors it is kind of hard to come up with a price but it seems like it would be a lot more than the Stat 1H?

Thanks,

Person

carbinero
11-19-08, 20:16
I think you'll be fine with the fixed front sight base (FSB) /gas block, so you'll just need to buy a rear BUIS (back up iron sight). If you plan to use a scope, you'll probably want a folding one, so go get a Troy for $130. PK has them and delivers fast. But it sounds like your need will be satisfied with a fixed, so get a Larue for $90.

LMT/BCM uppers were $450, plus $170 for charging handle, bolt carrier group and handguards. A little more than Stag, but you'll be happy you did. G & R may still have an ADS for $600, which I'd prefer over the Stag, for the 1:7 twist and Robar finish.