PDA

View Full Version : PSA New AK's -Shot Show

recon
01-24-20, 00:07
Looks like PSA is bringing out some new AK's this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvKuuARoZR4&feature=emb_logo

everready73
01-24-20, 09:09
Yea, I am actually pretty happy with their innovation the last few years

I know it is PSA, but they make one of the only usable american made AKs and are now expanding. I saw a vdeo with Akoperatorsunion that they eventually want to clove every AK variant

The MP5 has been slow to come out, but they want it to be right. They stated pricing will be a good bit lower than the closest competitor

The new bufferless gun JAKL looks pretty neat as well and would be a good truck/tractor/atv gun

The new handguns are going to be the big thing for them i believe. $299 for the base model and $349 (reportedly) for the optics/threaded barrel/suppressor sight version.

There goal is to make all guns "common use" and i commend their 2A efforts regardless of what some people may veiw of them from a quality perspective

If they can make the handgun reliable and issue free these will be huge

recon
01-24-20, 13:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpLwyCcCR90&list=PLm5Moc1EmjtOrE0bG843NDYzTvCP57Cd9&index=29&t=0s

ABNAK
01-24-20, 18:35
They catch a lot of flak here but I truly wish them well in their endeavors. They are expanding the options. Hope they keep the QC up to snuff.

I have read where the FN CHF barrels will be chrome lined. I'd like to see chrome lining in non-FN barrels too. One of those little Krinks would be sweet but I'd want it to have a CL barrel.

everready73
01-24-20, 19:08
They catch a lot of flak here but I truly wish them well in their endeavors. They are expanding the options. Hope they keep the QC up to snuff.

I have read where the FN CHF barrels will be chrome lined. I'd like to see chrome lining in non-FN barrels too. One of those little Krinks would be sweet but I'd want it to have a CL barrel.

Yeah I wish more chrome lined options as well, even if it was their own barrels. They do nitride to keep cost down on the freedom line but I am sure plenty of people would pay a little more for chrome lined

They use to offer both chf and standard button fn chrome lined barrels but only have been offering the chf for the last year or so.

Freelance
01-24-20, 19:20
I didn't attend this year but their booth seems to have received the most buzz from the press at least that I have seen posting updates of the show. While I'm not running out to buy a full PSA lineup, if their Ak's and MP5's get decent reviews I think they will do well. Everyone seems to love upgrading their $499.00 plastic fantastic's with $1500.00 worth of accessories these days so these will probably sell like hotcakes with so many of the hot want features already built into a $300/350 package. Ditto with the JAKL, lot of folks that wanted but couldn't a afford a $3500 SCAR but have a several AR lowers. If the price is right and they are reliable I can see the appeal.

Kevslatvin
01-25-20, 11:34
That krink looks nice but what I'm really jonesing for right now is their 7.62 x 39 pistol in red wood. I like the direction their going but like others have said I'd like to see chrome lined options and hope they keep their QC up.

JoshNC
01-25-20, 13:21
In one of the PSA SHOT show review videos, the PSA rep commented that PSA’s goal was to flood the market with reasonably priced firearms in support of Heller’s “common use clause” so that if and when attempts are made at banning, they are prevalent in huge numbers.

While I’ve never been a fan of PSA, I can get on board with this philosophy.

jpmuscle
01-25-20, 13:48
In one of the PSA SHOT show review videos, the PSA rep commented that PSA’s goal was to flood the market with reasonably priced firearms in support of Heller’s “common use clause” so that if and when attempts are made at banning, they are prevalent in huge numbers.

I rag on PSA relentlessly but if that is indeed a official motivation, rather than just a tangible byproduct of selling cheap widgets, than that is commendable.

But still poors lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake27
01-25-20, 14:45

They’ve said that for years. I like mine but am skeptical about most of their products, but agreed that it’s a great principle.

JoshNC
01-25-20, 22:49
If it’s true, they are doing us all a huge service. Who knows. PSA has never been my cup o tea, but it’s a fact that the contemporary inexpensive AR of today is orders of magnitude better than the cheap garbage low tier ARs of yesteryears.

Bret
01-27-20, 22:13
I wish them the best, but their history of poor QC and using their customers as product testers makes me skeptical. My last purchases from them were a PA-10 lower half and a PA-10 upper half. When I snapped the two together I found that there was a nickel width gap between the upper and lower at the rear vertical mating surfaces. I called and they asked me to send it to them for inspection. When I received it back there was literally nothing done to resolve the problem nor was there an explanation. The customer service manager refused to talk with me when I called. He told the customer service representative that I spoke with that it met industry quality standards. When I asked her to find out what industry standards allowed for a nickel width gap between the upper and lower, he then said that it met their quality standards. I was then told that I could return the upper half for a full refund (which I did), but I couldn't return the lower half because it had already been transferred to me. My response to that was to ask how I was to know that their QC would be so poor until I actually put the upper and lower together. It didn't matter. No refund for me. I have not purchased anything from the since. If anyone wants a PA-10 lower half cheap, I have one for sale. Bottom line, if my experience is any indication, their QC is crap, they don't care about putting out a poor quality product and they don't stand behind what they sell. They follow the Century model. Their selling point is price. That's it.

caporider
01-30-20, 12:40
I wish them the best, but their history of poor QC and using their customers as product testers makes me skeptical. My last purchases from them were a PA-10 lower half and a PA-10 upper half. When I snapped the two together I found that there was a nickel width gap between the upper and lower at the rear vertical mating surfaces. I called and they asked me to send it to them for inspection. When I received it back there was literally nothing done to resolve the problem nor was there an explanation. The customer service manager refused to talk with me when I called. He told the customer service representative that I spoke with that it met industry quality standards. When I asked her to find out what industry standards allowed for a nickel width gap between the upper and lower, he then said that it met their quality standards. I was then told that I could return the upper half for a full refund (which I did), but I couldn't return the lower half because it had already been transferred to me. My response to that was to ask how I was to know that their QC would be so poor until I actually put the upper and lower together. It didn't matter. No refund for me. I have not purchased anything from the since. If anyone wants a PA-10 lower half cheap, I have one for sale. Bottom line, if my experience is any indication, their QC is crap, they don't care about putting out a poor quality product and they don't stand behind what they sell. They follow the Century model. Their selling point is price. That's it.

Eh, I have an Aero Precision M5 receiver set that has a gap like that. I personally don't really care, and I used the set to build a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle. If you purchase something at PSA (or Aero) prices, you can sort of expect a few wrinkles now and then. If they affect performance, PSA has recently gotten much better at helping customers out.

ETA: I have a PSA AK-P Gen3 coming in so I guess I'll find out if PSA is the real deal...

Sniffler
02-03-20, 20:02
I picked up a PSAK-47 MOEkov last Friday. I'm waiting on mags and ammo. Initial inspection is encouraging though. Everything is straight and well fitted. No rattles. Can't wait to shoot it.
They had some AK-Es today but sold out in 1.25 hours. They have the FN CHF CL barrels and Nickle Boron bolts.

ryan
02-03-20, 21:06
I snagged an AK-E out of the first batch, very impressed with it thus far.

Also have the AK-P and AK-V, admittedly low round counts but no issues other than lack of concentricity with the AK-P threads.

The wife took possession of my AK-V, very fun gun.

mig1nc
02-06-20, 13:43
I picked up a PSAK-47 MOEkov last Friday. I'm waiting on mags and ammo. Initial inspection is encouraging though. Everything is straight and well fitted. No rattles. Can't wait to shoot it.
They had some AK-Es today but sold out in 1.25 hours. They have the FN CHF CL barrels and Nickle Boron bolts.

That plum is absolutely beautiful.

Man, I hope one day I can build a Larry Vickers alpha AK from a PSA pistol. Just need them to do the 12.4" barrel in a pistol. 5.45 preferably.

RetroRevolver77
02-07-20, 17:27
Delete.

ABNAK
02-07-20, 18:17
I keep hoping a giant meteor takes out PSA.

Why? Most of us educated AR buyers are well aware of PSA's prior QC issues. If they are trying to improve upon that track record AND introducing new product lines what would the issue be? Sure, I won't be a beta-tester for anything (learned that lesson long ago) but I'd love to have a pistol-braced Krink clone with a chrome lined barrel in the original 5.45x39.

jpmuscle
02-07-20, 18:31
I keep hoping a giant meteor takes out PSA.

You know, I’ve hated on them tons, and probably will continue to do so with regards to quality issues.

But I’m respecting this biggly.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200208/8a1d94288997d633ff61b73dd64b125c.jpg

RetroRevolver77
02-08-20, 11:51
Delete.

Vegas
02-08-20, 13:04
PSA is the Ford Model T of guns. I’m guessing they have put more guns in law abiding citizens hands than most other manufacturers in the past 5 years. Expanding ownership is a beautiful thing for the 2A imo.

RetroRevolver77
02-08-20, 14:43
Delete.

Vegas
02-08-20, 15:49
I probably wouldn’t argue with anything you are saying but ultimately, market forces and demands dictate.

RetroRevolver77
02-08-20, 19:04
Delete.

MountainRaven
02-08-20, 21:33
I am starting to think they are trying to undercut all the mil spec certified manufacturers until those companies are shuttered and there is no one left to buy from. Kind of like when Cerberus Capital bought up some of the larger firearms manufacturers a few years ago. Look at the bigger picture long term.

Remind me how that's gone for Cerberus, again.

Pikey
02-08-20, 23:35
My first krink build over thirteen years ago cost me several thousand dollars by one of the best AK gunsmith's in the country. Each part was force matched to a rare early 80's Tula trunnion which a portion of that serial number had to be scrubbed and force matched as well using the same period correct font. The detail that went into that particular build is amazing. In addition each component was sourced to be period correct as an exact replica of the AKS-74U 1984 Soldier of Fortune article. The receiver itself was selectively serial numbered to the rifle such that all numbers are matching. In addition I have a mid 80's Izhevsk AKS-74 build along with an all matching RPK variant. This along with original imported FEG's, Arsenal's, etc. Marshall Arms, AK-USA, Piece of History Firearms, Azex Arms, Gewehr Werks were just a few names among maybe a dozen master level AK builders out there. Only a couple of these original high quality AK gunsmiths remain today and last I spoke to one of them- he wasn't doing well trying to keep afloat. Once they are all gone that era will close forever as no one will be able to replicate the quality of work that was done at that time. Essentially the era of collecting is over, we'll see the last AK gunsmiths close their doors and all of it being thrown down by these cheap replicas just as we saw the biggest name in the AR industry stop selling AR's to the public because they can't compete at the price point of similar cheap AR's. Rifles aren't meant to be cheap, they are meant to be quality whether it's an original 1986 AKS-74 build with all period correct components, an RPK, or a mil spec Colt M4 or even an MP5. Watching some mouth breather talk about their cheap US made MP5, cheap US AK build or cheap non mil spec AR variant is just ridiculous.

Everyone has their own idea of what a firearm should be. I’m not one to judge others views or ideas but what you are talking about sounds a little like elitism. There has been a movement around since at least the 1930’s that has been trying to take firearms out of common folks hands by elevating the price.

I have little experience with psa. I’ve bought small parts for AR15’s and ammunition from them and it has always been positive. Aks have always been cheap to me. Chinese MAK90 and Bulgarian Milled AKs. Shooting cheap ammo. That was fun. And now I need an AK74 to shoot all of the 7N6 that I bought when it was cheap. So psa has my attention. If the JAKl uppers ever become available and they work I will buy one. Same for their MP5. The glock clone I have zero interest in but I will commend them for bringing an utilitarian pistol to market for an utilitarian price. Psa’s spiker ak just makes me want to buy a Polytech.
I wish psa the best of luck if they succeed it will benefit us all.

Eta: I’m not saying that I’m trading in my Daniel Defense on a PSA or my Acogs for Primary Arms I have no problem spending money on quality. Look at the intended purpose. Shooting, collecting, self defense. I think that for most of us it’s a combination of at least two if not all three. For me I like a bargain police trade inns, surplus mausers, sks when they were cheap ect. There’s a difference between a shooter and a defensive firearm. At the end of the day the more people that own and regularly use their guns the better off we will all be even if it is a psa that they buy instead of a Colt, Glock or Arsenal.

fred
02-09-20, 18:10
At what price? The cost of actual mil spec manufacturers and builders who aren't interested in competing against non mil spec mass produced daily deals? At the very minimum people can get say an Armalite M15 for a quality budget priced AR or step up to a moderate Colt LE6920 within a reasonable amount. Same goes for buying an import Cugir WASR or stepping up to an Arsenal. Now they are being driven out of the market entirely until likely there will be no military grade manufacturers selling to the US domestic market in the coming decade- that's the real cost to all this.

When I was young and poor I got an EA15 because pre ban Colts were too much. Didn't stop me from going Colt, LMT later on. Colts gone (from rifles) but BCM is here.. Bushmaster gone, PSA is still here. It's all good, capitalism baby!

BWT
02-09-20, 21:42
I personally think PSA is staffed by huge patriots. They’re not top tier and don’t claim to be. We have Hodge Defense and KAC which put Colt to shame.

Historically accurate reproductions are one thing - I concede those may be going the way of the dodo. But, forged trunnions, and a FN CHF barrel? Remember Hodge? Yeah FN makes their barrels.

It sounds to me like PSA knows what they’re good at and not.

You’re going to shriek when I tell you this. I’m seriously contemplating selling my Arsenal SGL-21 (A Russian AK basically) to buy one of their AK-103’s.

Also, DPMS and Bushmaster were nowhere near as Pro-Gun as PSA. I’m happy to see PSA prosper - the others sold out long ago anyway. I’m happy to see the large non-gun centric public holdings company getting out of the gun business.

God Bless,

Brandon

RetroRevolver77
02-10-20, 23:33
Delete.

tostado22
02-11-20, 00:11
Glad I got my quality mil spec grade rifles when they were available.

There isn't quality available now? I still don't understand what you're getting at besides looking down your nose at people who are satisfied with their $700 AK

RetroRevolver77
02-11-20, 15:49
Delete.

MadAngler1
02-11-20, 19:15
I agree with RetroRevolver when it comes to AK. There is something to be said about true combloc rifles. I’ll wait and see how Robski’s 5000 PSA AK test turns out for this particular model before I buy one. I definitely want a 7.62x39 AK, and frankly, I find it hard to swallow spending > $2k on a Rifle Dynamics or the like

tostado22
02-11-20, 22:39
There is a minimum standard that I have for my collection. I only buy firearms manufactured by companies that produce for their respective nation's military. That's it.

That's understandable, I have had to check that box before. There are certainly quality options out there, though. AK options seem to be very limited at the moment, but hopefully someone will get it together enough to fix the market

RetroRevolver77
02-11-20, 22:50
Delete.

tostado22
02-12-20, 01:12
Do you know the story on their more expensive Romanian AK? Doesn't give a lot of info it seems

RetroRevolver77
02-14-20, 11:37
Delete.

1986s4
02-27-20, 08:39
I'll be looking if PSA gets into Galil and/or Valmet repros...

JoshNC
02-28-20, 17:05
I'll be looking if PSA gets into Galil and/or Valmet repros...

Why, so you can beta test an unreliable facsimile? Sorry. I couldn’t resist. :)

RetroRevolver77
03-02-20, 10:13
Delete.

Bret
03-02-20, 11:30
But it doesn't get that cold where I live...

Most everyone considers reliability the most important attribute of a military type rifle and I'd tend to agree. However, we need to look at the bigger picture when determining what's best. Semi auto and full auto rifles were not developed because they more reliable (or more accurate) than bolt action rifles. So, there had to be a reason that militaries were willing to sacrifice reliability. I'm thinking that was volume of fire. A less reliable semi or full auto can put more bullets down range on average than a more reliable bolt action rifle. The result is more hits in spite of the less reliable design. Let's apply the same thought process to accuracy. I'll just make up some numbers for the point of discussion. If an AK is 99.99% reliable and a competing rifle is 99.9% reliable, but the competing rifle is twice as accurate as the AK, which would you rather have? Which is going to save more of your soldiers' lives and cost more of your enemies' lives? In the end it comes down to which is best on average at hitting enemy targets in the shortest amount of time. Assuming that the AK is the most reliable military rifle, does that really make it the best?

RetroRevolver77
03-02-20, 23:33
Delete.

Pikey
03-06-20, 12:52
I guess for me the bigger picture is why buy an AK to begin with? Most people buy them because they are reliable and affordable. However only two main rifles consistently passed arctic government sponsored extreme cold weather reliability tests in the 1980's; AK variants or the FNC. For example, not even the SIG 550, M16, or Steyr AUG passed the Swedish military cold weather trials- only the Galil (FFV 890C) and the FNC. So when arctic governments started shopping replacements to go with lighter rifles they went through many trials. The Swedish government upgraded from the AK4 G3 to a modified version of the FNC only because it used an M16 style mag. Finland was already ahead of the curve with their RK 62 milled AK's but upgraded to the lighter RK 76 stamped receiver model to replace the heavier milled variants. Norway just kept their AG3 G3's because they didn't care until much later when they opted to go with 416's since likely the FNC's were long out of production by the time they made up their mind. So today your best option as a civilian for an extreme all weather reliable rifle is an AK variant. Sure you can rig the tests or have some little nuances like "don't bring it inside when it's cold so it doesn't get condensation inside that freezes up the action or it needs to be run dry or run with special lube"- to help lesser designs deal with that kind of weather. However in the end- that AK reliability still is the standard by which others are judged by. Get a real deal imported AK as your go to bugout rifle and be done with it.

RR

Maybe you need to consider that some people, many people, just want an AK to shoot. Something to have fun with. Not every semiauto sold in America is a bug out gun.

Pikey
03-06-20, 12:57
But it doesn't get that cold where I live...

Most everyone considers reliability the most important attribute of a military type rifle and I'd tend to agree. However, we need to look at the bigger picture when determining what's best. Semi auto and full auto rifles were not developed because they more reliable (or more accurate) than bolt action rifles. So, there had to be a reason that militaries were willing to sacrifice reliability. I'm thinking that was volume of fire. A less reliable semi or full auto can put more bullets down range on average than a more reliable bolt action rifle. The result is more hits in spite of the less reliable design. Let's apply the same thought process to accuracy. I'll just make up some numbers for the point of discussion. If an AK is 99.99% reliable and a competing rifle is 99.9% reliable, but the competing rifle is twice as accurate as the AK, which would you rather have? Which is going to save more of your soldiers' lives and cost more of your enemies' lives? In the end it comes down to which is best on average at hitting enemy targets in the shortest amount of time. Assuming that the AK is the most reliable military rifle, does that really make it the best?

I’m don’t think that a bolt action is any more reliable than an AK. A Gew98 or a Mosinis Nagant with service ammunition is not more accurate than an AK within 300 yards.

RetroRevolver77
03-06-20, 23:18
Delete.

Pikey
03-07-20, 10:27
I liked the previous response better.

If we look at more recent testing done by Pakistan involving tidal pluff mud? Still not 100% sure what that is. Only the Russian AK’s past. Does that mean everybody should chuck their Chinese and Romanian AK’s in the dumpster? Most people are more likely to spend time at the beach than the artic.

turnburglar
09-02-20, 04:07
Just thought I would bump this thread.

Based on this youtube video it looks like PSA is getting ready to release their version of the AK74. I don't think timing could be better either as 5.45 is one of the few rounds Im able to find under .40 a round and available by the case. My dream gun would be an AK105.

https://youtu.be/KU3m50g-ywQ

Vgex2
09-02-20, 07:35
Double post.

Vgex2
09-02-20, 07:36
Just thought I would bump this thread.

Based on this youtube video it looks like PSA is getting ready to release their version of the AK74.

PSA has released batches of the AK74 already, beginning last week, on their website. Price is $899.

JoshNC
09-02-20, 11:54
Why would anyone trust PSA to produce a quality AK74? Let alone pay $900 for one.

MountainRaven
09-02-20, 12:16
Why would anyone trust PSA to produce a quality AK74? Let alone pay $900 for one.

Is there an alternative, other than not buying a ‘74?

My understanding is that PSA’s AKs have been doing well in the AKOU testing.

turnburglar
09-02-20, 12:54
Not only has AKOU ran multiple PSA AK's and had decent results, but Jim Fuller himself knew about PSA's upcoming offerings awhile back and thought it was a good thing to get 4340 forged trunions made in America. Josh is clearly just stuck on the 2011 dogma of "PSA- BAD".

Hexxus
09-02-20, 13:23

I haven't seen anything yet from individual testing that would produce a reason not to buy one, so....

I mean, I like premium AK's but I'm not running out to buy an Arsenal anytime soon, whether they are an investment or not.

JoshNC
09-02-20, 13:44
Not only has AKOU ran multiple PSA AK's and had decent results, but Jim Fuller himself knew about PSA's upcoming offerings awhile back and thought it was a good thing to get 4340 forged trunions made in America. Josh is clearly just stuck on the 2011 dogma of "PSA- BAD".

It’s your money, do with it what you want. I won’t be buying a PSA AK of any variety. AKOU admittedly ain’t my shtick though. But I’m of the buy once, cry once philosophy. I’d rather spend $1500-2k for a quality AK.

turnburglar
09-02-20, 16:52
It’s your money, do with it what you want. I won’t be buying a PSA AK of any variety. AKOU admittedly ain’t my shtick though. But I’m of the buy once, cry once philosophy. I’d rather spend $1500-2k for a quality AK.

What does that get you? What 'features and specs' make an AK quality? I don't know as much about the AK platform as I do the AR platform. What I can tell you is that my PSA AR's (two) are quality sticks with CASES of ammunition underneath them. 7075 buffer tubes, cerro marked recievers, dry film lube, yada yada yada...

If you could actually qualify or quantify in what way PSA AK's are lacking that would be more helpful then; "PSA??!!! NOO WAYYY"

Bret
09-02-20, 19:57
What does that get you? What 'features and specs' make an AK quality? I don't know as much about the AK platform as I do the AR platform. What I can tell you is that my PSA AR's (two) are quality sticks with CASES of ammunition underneath them. 7075 buffer tubes, cerro marked recievers, dry film lube, yada yada yada...

If you could actually qualify or quantify in what way PSA AK's are lacking that would be more helpful then; "PSA??!!! NOO WAYYY"
I purchased a PA-10 lower half and a PA-10 upper half from PSA. When I snapped the two halves together, I immediately noticed that there was a monstrous gap between the upper and lower receivers. I could literally fit a dime between the two. I sent it back to PSA and they returned it back to me having fixed nothing and with zero explanation. When I called I was told by the customer service supervisor that it fires and meets PSA standards. They would allow me to return the upper half for a refund, but not the lower half because it was already transferred to me. I still have it and want to sell it, but would feel guilty selling it to a fellow gun owner. PSA has a history of producing defective products and then coming out with multiple future generations of said products to fix the design defects. If you buy one of the initial generation firearms, then you're SOL. I know a lot more about AK's than I do about AR's. One thing is for sure. There's no way the same people who made the PA-10 halves that I purchased could make a quality AK. If PSA is making a quality AK, they're either having someone else make it or they realized their operations were not up to snuff and hired people who know what they're doing. I hope for the latter, but am skeptical.

09-02-20, 19:59
For real, though..... does PSA have AKs figured out? I don’t like their ARs, but I’m willing to have an open mind about it for another 74. Finding good mags sucks though.

Hexxus
09-03-20, 01:05
For real, though..... does PSA have AKs figured out? I don’t like their ARs, but I’m willing to have an open mind about it for another 74. Finding good mags sucks though.

Results looking good so far after the issues with the Gen 1's. Forged trunnions. Now they are offering premium rifles with FN CHF barrels, like their AR's. Side-folding stocks. It's a viable option for those who don't want to spend the money on an Arsenal or Krebs, but don't want to take a chance on a Century.

turnburglar
09-03-20, 01:08

https://youtu.be/BkE1gJfbyPw

https://youtu.be/O1xQ9fO5G6I

https://youtu.be/rxk1wAOznsU

https://youtu.be/xFNDjjyLIUM

3 different PSA models. The last one only has 1 case under it, but he will update when it gets to his regular 5,000 round benchmark.