PDA

View Full Version : Sling Recommenations

Red*Lion
01-24-20, 11:58
I have bought a number of different slings and still have not found one that fits me well. The one that I have that currently fits me/my needs the best cost about $25, but is still lacking. I would appreciate recommendations for slings. Both single, double point, etc...are all welcome.
I hope that this is the correct forum for this?

dpb1776
01-24-20, 12:02
What are you using it for? Precision rifle, carbine sling, just something to carry the rifle while walking in the woods etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red*Lion
01-24-20, 12:10
What are you using it for? Precision rifle, carbine sling, just something to carry the rifle while walking in the woods etc?

Precision, carbine, AR pistol. I understand that one sling may not cover all, so open to all recommendations.

Alpha-17
01-24-20, 12:21
I'm fond of the V-Tac wide padded rifle sling. Adjustable two-point. It might not serve every purpose, but it works for my carbines/AR pistols. Combine it with QD mounts and its solid.

dpb1776
01-24-20, 12:22
For a precision carbine checkout Rifles only their carbine sling is excellent, i use them on my spr and receiving rifle. Also The Vickers sling through Blueforce is a great general purpose sling I have used one for several years

dpb1776
01-24-20, 12:25
For a precision carbine checkout Rifles Only their carbine sling is excellent, i use them on my spr and recce rifle. Also The Vickers sling through Blueforce is a great general purpose sling I have used one for several years

ACE31
01-24-20, 12:56
Echo what others have said, suggest a two point padded VTAC or Vickers.

William B.
01-24-20, 12:58
I've been using the V-Tac Padded Sling since 2012 and its always been great. Lately I've been involved with beta-testing the T10 Sling from Tech Ten Tactical, and it seems bulletproof so far. I have used both of these slings extensively on AR15's and have used the V-Tac a little bit on my Remington 870.

https://techtentactical.com/collections/the-swinger-sling-system/products/t10-sling-easily-switch-between-double-and-single-point

titsonritz
01-24-20, 14:12
There are several threads on slings in the Tactical Gear forum...
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?14-Tactical-Gear

MegademiC
01-24-20, 14:26
Ive used the ferro concepts slingster and blue force (non-padded).
I dont adjust it often ( stiff adjustment) and like the stiffness of the material.
The slingster is more flimsy, quicker adjustment, slides on clothes with lower friction, and more comfortable for longer periods. Also has metal hardware, which I prefer.

Both are great, and dont really have a preference for either. Just minor differences. I would think the padded vcas would make the difference even smaller.

I also have a boonie packer that works fine, but its not nearly as nice as the other two.

CrowCommand
01-24-20, 15:07
Ferro Concepts Slingster

AO777
01-25-20, 12:17
Frank Proctor PHD sling. $35, super simple setup/adjustment and it’s the lightest sling out there.

http://www.frankproctorshooting.com/proctor-sling/

calicojack
01-25-20, 13:07
Stay far away from the magpul ms4. Got one for Christmas. Its borderline useless

Wake27
01-25-20, 14:47
Frank Proctor PHD sling. $35, super simple setup/adjustment and it’s the lightest sling out there.

http://www.frankproctorshooting.com/proctor-sling/

I don’t understand the desire for a lightweight sling. If you’re actually using it, it’s not weight added to the gun.

boss_hawg
01-25-20, 16:45
I don’t understand the desire for a lightweight sling. If you’re actually using it, it’s not weight added to the gun.

It’s still weight that has to be carried.

But you do have a point that the weight difference between the ultra lightweight WOTG sling and say the BFG/VCAS sling doesn’t make up for its lack of features and inferior function.

The SOB b-sling is to me a great alternative for a 1” lightweight sling vs the WOTG. In my humble opinion - the tightening and release mechanisms are faster and superior.

calicojack
01-25-20, 18:28
I couldn't get past the Alabama hat and his vocabulary

AO777
01-25-20, 19:33

Not that weight is the primary concern but it is a bonus. I like the stream lined design for my application. If I were carrying the rifle for 8 hours at a time I’d use a padded VCAS. I do run some on my aks but for a lightweight patrol rifle I like the WOTG. I’ve had no issues with the slider on mine.

odugrad
01-25-20, 20:03
I use a VTAC 2-point and like it. I've heard good things about the Vickers sling and would like to give it a go.

Biggy
01-25-20, 20:11
I have been totally satisfied and have no complains or regrets about my Magpul MS1 padded and unpadded slings.

AndyLate
01-26-20, 07:05
I couldn't get past the Alabama hat and his vocabulary

You would prefer what, Adam Schiff in a business suit?

Andy

matemike
01-26-20, 07:25
Blue force Vickers.
In the beginning, I tried a couple of different single point slings and an array of two point slings for my AR's. First impression with a bueforce vickers = stuck one on each of my AR's. Seems their prices have gone up over the last decade and that they offer metal adjustment parts now, but my plastic parts have survived several classes and many hunting/shooting trips. If I ever reinvest in slings I might get the metal part options.

No pads. My experience with pads on slings is they are the first thing to fall apart. The foam material dries out and disintegrates and either the stitching or the thin vinyl material over said foam rips/tears and falls apart too. Seen it on back packs, computer bags, duffel bags, shotgun slings, you name it. So I don't even bother with padded slings if I can avoid them.

flenna
You would prefer what, Adam Schiff in a business suit?

Andy

^^^:lol: Anyway, I do like the concept of that PHD sling on a HD carbine. I may pick one up for that purpose.

calicojack
War eagle sir.

AndyLate
01-26-20, 08:02
War eagle sir.

My wife is an Alabama fan, my DIL backs Auburn. I am neutral and just enjoy stirring the pot when either team is playing.

Unpadded Vickers sling here I think I have three of them.

Andy

Leftie
01-26-20, 08:08
The SOB b-sling is to me a great alternative for a 1” lightweight sling vs the WOTG. In my humble opinion - the tightening and release mechanisms are faster and superior.

I've been curious about this sling compared to the WOTG slings that I'm using now and really like. Is there anything outside of the tightening and release mechanisms that you find more desirable?

01-26-20, 08:22
Blue force Vickers.
In the beginning, I tried a couple of different single point slings and an array of two point slings for my AR's. First impression with a bueforce vickers = stuck one on each of my AR's. Seems their prices have gone up over the last decade and that they offer metal adjustment parts now, but my plastic parts have survived several classes and many hunting/shooting trips. If I ever reinvest in slings I might get the metal part options.

No pads. My experience with pads on slings is they are the first thing to fall apart. The foam material dries out and disintegrates and either the stitching or the thin vinyl material over said foam rips/tears and falls apart too. Seen it on back packs, computer bags, duffel bags, shotgun slings, you name it. So I don't even bother with padded slings if I can avoid them.

Yup. I’ve been using unpadded Vickers slings with metal hardware since 2009 or 2010. With some retro exceptions, all my rifles have one. I still have my first one and it still gets used. Maybe I’ll give the plastic hardware a chance on my next one.

boss_hawg
01-26-20, 08:38
I've been curious about this sling compared to the WOTG slings that I'm using now and really like. Is there anything outside of the tightening and release mechanisms that you find more desirable?

I’m not crazy about the pull ties on the end of the WOTG sling. It does make it a more universal weapon sling but I have dedicated slings for my shotguns and bolt actions.

What I need is solid attachment mechanism for an AK or AR. The mash, hk clip, or qd is going to give you that on the b sling.

The WoTG ties always seem to loosen and I don’t have the confidence that they’re not about to dump my rifle on the ground.

I guess you could change the WoTG sling for qds or the such but that seems to defeat the main selling feature.

Wake27
01-26-20, 09:37
Those of you using the VCAS, especially the padded ones, how often do you shoot support hand? That’s what made me realize I wasn’t a huge fan of the bulk and stiffness.

I have a Slingster on the way.

Leftie
01-26-20, 09:53
I’m not crazy about the pull ties on the end of the WOTG sling. It does make it a more universal weapon sling but I have dedicated slings for my shotguns and bolt actions.

What I need is solid attachment mechanism for an AK or AR. The mash, hk clip, or qd is going to give you that on the b sling.

The WoTG ties always seem to loosen and I don’t have the confidence that they’re not about to dump my rifle on the ground.

I guess you could change the WoTG sling for qds or the such but that seems to defeat the main selling feature.

I get why you're not a fan of the attachment ties given the explanation. I haven't had an issue girth-hitching the ties around the handguard and cinching the ties down around the 1913 slots. I also decided to girth-hitch the rear ties around QD swivels which has worked great for me.

That being said, an SOB sling might be in my future if only out of pure curiosity.

Those of you using the VCAS, especially the padded ones, how often do you shoot support hand? That’s what made me realize I wasn’t a huge fan of the bulk and stiffness. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's actually the reason that I moved away from the VCAS to the Proctor sling- The VCAS was super stiff and bulky compared to other options on the market - it seemed to get in the way a fair bit...

Wake27
01-26-20, 10:31
I get why you're not a fan of the attachment ties given the explanation. I haven't had an issue girth-hitching the ties around the handguard and cinching the ties down around the 1913 slots. I also decided to girth-hitch the rear ties around QD swivels which has worked great for me.

That being said, an SOB sling might be in my future if only out of pure curiosity.

That's actually the reason that I moved away from the VCAS to the Proctor sling- The VCAS was super stiff and bulky compared to other options on the market - it seemed to get in the way a fair bit...

Yup. That started my shift to the RB1 sling but I was disappointed by my last one which is why I’m not trying out a Slingster. I do like that I can pull the padded sleeve off so while I’ll start with it on, I assume I’ll have the same complaint and want it a little more minimalistic. But it’s nice to have the option, especially on my work gun.

HotSuppa2C1H
01-26-20, 11:24
I used a WOTG sling back to back with a VTAC and a VCAS through a week long rifle instructor course and I kept gravitating towards the WOTG sling. This was on a 6720 with a light and aimpoint pro, so not the heaviest rig in the world. The WOTG sling found its way onto my personal carbines as well. I did ditch the cheesy factory attachment hardware and went with QD though.

AO777
01-26-20, 14:13

I ditched the 550 cord and ran the front through the side sling loop on my rifle and looped the rear right though the stock. I like the look of the SOB but at twice the price of the WOTG I’m not sure I see the value.

boss_hawg
01-26-20, 14:24
I ditched the 550 cord and ran the front through the side sling loop on my rifle and looped the rear right though the stock. I like the look of the SOB but at twice the price of the WOTG I’m not sure I see the value.

I may dig mine back out and try it this way.

Just for clarification, the b-sling with mash hook is cheaper than the WOTG. With HK clip it’s about the same price, and with Uloop it’s about $4 more.

I’m comparing the 1” variety to the Proctor sling since it seems to be similar webbing.

The high end SOB slings are 1.5” or have the expensive ALG QD attachment which seem to cost about 2x.

AO777
01-26-20, 14:44
I may dig mine back out and try it this way.

Just for clarification, the b-sling with mash hook is cheaper than the WOTG. With HK clip it’s about the same price, and with Uloop it’s about $4 more.

I’m comparing the 1” variety to the Proctor sling since it seems to be similar webbing.

The high end SOB slings are 1.5” or have the expensive ALG QD attachment which seem to cost about 2x.

Yeah I took another look at them last night with the fancy ALG hardware. It looks like an awesome setup but I’m balling in a budget right now lol (at least for sling set-up). I may try that out for my Gucci build I’m saving for.

I think the WOTG gives all the functionality needed to do what needs to be done. Especially for the OP who didn’t sound like he’s going to be patrolling overseas for prolonged periods of time where a more expensive padded sling would be worth the extra coin imho.

Leftie
01-26-20, 15:49
I’m comparing the 1” variety to the Proctor sling since it seems to be similar webbing. The high end SOB slings are 1.5” or have the expensive ALG QD attachment which seem to cost about 2x.

Maybe splitting hairs, but do you find a difference in performance between 1" as opposed to 1.5" width? I honestly haven't really noticed - for larger-scale comparison the VCAS is 1.25" wide.

boss_hawg
01-26-20, 20:06
The wider slings seem to resist twisting less. I’m sure it’s a factor of material / thickness too.

I don’t have any twisting problems with the VCAS sling (1.25” but thick cordura) or the 1.5” trash sling that I bought on the cheap at a gun show. My VTAC also seems to be fine probably due to the large padded portion.

However the 1” MIL-17337 or 55301 nylon slings seem to always get twisted once there’s any slack.

In a life or death situation, it’s probably not something that’s gonna matter.

just a scout
01-26-20, 20:47
Sheriff of Baghdad slings. Regular or wide and pick your connector. Simple, durable and comfortable. Great adjustments in great location. I’ve switched all my slings to those except for bolt guns. Still trying to thread the needle for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leftie
01-27-20, 21:15
Now that you mention the twisting issue, that makes sense, and I have noticed that my Proctor sling does twist a bit, but it hasn't bothered me enough to change.

I remember my VCAS sling being a total beast because it was so thick, which was also one of the reasons that I moved away from it.

trauma
01-27-20, 22:10
Vtac padded

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-28-20, 11:36
Just to recap this thread:

There seems to be five main recommendations-

1) VTAC Sling- The classic, good adjustment and material, but leaves a long tail which can get snagged.
http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-mk1.htm

2) BFG VCAS Sling- The gold standard, metal hardware versions adjust very well, uses thicker webbing, plastic hardware versions don't adjust smoothly
https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-sling

3) Ferro Slingster- Thinner material for comfort and snag free design, best slider design, but metal slider destroys the finish on guns
https://ferroconcepts.com/products/the-slingster

4) SOB B Sling- Good material, quality hardware, has the potential to leave a tail like the VTAC if velcro fails
https://sobtactical.com/sob-b-sling-rifle-sling/

5) Proctor Sling- Thin material, very simple, but uses paracord to attach to rifle
https://tacticalshootingproshop.com/frank-proctor-heavy-duty-sling/

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-28-20, 11:42
Personally, I've been a user of padded and unpadded versions of the metal hardware VCAS, of which I own 3. I own 2 plastic hardware versions and do not like them.I am intrigued by the Slingster, but I don't want to scratch my guns up with it. I like the SOB B Sling as well, but don't want the tail. As such, I feel the perfect balance is still the VCAS w/metal.

MountainRaven
01-28-20, 12:00
I use VCAS slings. Padded and unpadded. Metal hardware and plastic. Including one of what is now sold as the Standard Issue Vickers Sling, back when it was the only way they made the sling. Apart from precision rifles and historically configured weapons (like my Garand, FAL, not-an-XM16E1), I see no reason to buy anything else for a general purpose fighting longarm.

LookAtYourself
01-28-20, 12:06
haley strategic d3

Watrdawg
01-28-20, 15:44
I've been using the VCAS padded sling with both metal and plastic hardware on multiple rifles, both AR and bolt, for a while now and haven't found anything I like more. I absolutely don't like the tail on the VTAC sling. I just looked at the Slingster and am a bit intrigued.

Eurodriver
01-28-20, 16:33
I use VCAS slings. Padded and unpadded. Metal hardware and plastic. Including one of what is now sold as the Standard Issue Vickers Sling, back when it was the only way they made the sling. Apart from precision rifles and historically configured weapons (like my Garand, FAL, not-an-XM16E1), I see no reason to buy anything else for a general purpose fighting longarm.

This.

jpmuscle
01-28-20, 16:54
VCAS padded Here.

I’ve played with the VTAC, Haley, Magpul, Fire force. All were meh and prone to twisting and getting jammed up in the hardware.

The one thing I’d like to see the VCAS do is add a tubular padded section so it can move and roll with movement.

RHINOWSO
01-28-20, 16:59
Blue Force Gear works great for me.

Leftie
01-28-20, 22:06
The one thing I’d like to see the VCAS do is add a tubular padded section so it can move and roll with movement. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How padded/rigid of a tubular section do you want? That could probably be added as an aftermarket addition with a bit of tinkering...

jpmuscle
01-28-20, 22:36
How padded/rigid of a tubular section do you want? That could probably be added as an aftermarket addition with a bit of tinkering...

I’d say take the existing padded section exactly how it is and just make it round? [emoji2373]

PhoPoweR
01-29-20, 00:46
Ferro Concepts Slingster has been working great for me. Have it on 3 different rifles.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-29-20, 01:59
Ferro Concepts Slingster has been working great for me. Have it on 3 different rifles.

Are you experiencing similar issues as seen in the linked post?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?212302-Slings&p=2702375#post2702375

prepare
01-29-20, 03:26
Are you experiencing similar issues as seen in the linked post?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?212302-Slings&p=2702375#post2702375

This is not a problem when you are using the rifle. If you transport your rifle in a rifle case it can be an issue. You can fold the sling in such a way that it won't be a problem. The Slingster uses metal hardware vs plastic.

fingerguns
01-29-20, 15:25
I bought a Proctor sling due to it's minimalistic nature. I like it fair enough.

titsonritz
01-29-20, 16:42
I bought a Proctor sling due to it's minimalistic nature. I like it fair enough.

I'm set on the VCAS but have considered buying a Proctor for that very reason.

jsbhike
01-29-20, 19:28
Excluding 3 point slings and basic web slings, I started with 1.5" Boonie Packers, then tried a Vickers and liked it due to the reduced weight/bulk, then tried a WOTG and switched over to them for another weight/bulk drop.

My need for adjustment is more for snugging when climbing than anything else and use the sling just as a way to hang on to the carbine when I need my hands free so most of the time it is just there and not supporting the carbine.

BillB
01-30-20, 19:12
Blue Force Gear slings are great, simple and effective.

SteveL
01-31-20, 22:55
I have the padded VCAS and VTAC. The more I used the VCAS the less I like it. IMO it doesn't have enough adjusment range and I don't like how thick the material is. For these reasons I like the VTAC better. I don't like the long tail, but it has more adjustment and I can cinch the rifle down against my body when I want to.

I also have a few of the Magpul MS4 slings and like them quite a bit. Someone mentioned earlier that they didn't like them but didn't elaborate why. I've run them in multiple matches and classes and haven't had any trouble with them. I like the material better than the VCAS or VTAC, the slider works well, and (maybe because it's not padded) it seems to have more adjustment range than the VCAS to me. Not quite as much as the VTAC but it works. I also feel it's a good value considering it comes with QD and 2-to-1 point conversion hardware.

Ranking all three I consider the MS4 and VTAC pretty close but I'd probably give the edge to the MS4. The VCAS is a distant 3rd.

Tony617
02-01-20, 02:35
I have the Magpul MS4 that I use and I like it. I put side mount attachment on the MLOK rail and the Magpul buttstock has sling mount so I use a two point sling most of the time. I did put a Magpul ambidextrous sling attachment point QD so I can use a single point sling if I want.