PDA

View Full Version : KAC RAS or Daniel Defense Omega 7.0

OH58D
11-19-08, 15:52
I have just joined this forum today and would like some input on an upcoming purchase.

I have a Colt LE 6920 and I am wanting to add a rail system, with no permanent modifications to the weapon. Which is the better system; Knights Armament RAS or Daniel Defense Omega Rail 7.0?

Thanks,

OH58D

under9
11-19-08, 16:01
I really like my RAS! its very solid!

flyawaychen
11-19-08, 16:12
Both of them need no modification to the weapon,
Both are GTG rails,
RAS is a non-free float
DD omega free float

I personally preferred the RAS.

mmike87
11-19-08, 19:26
I just ordered a second Omega rail. I was skeptical at first about a two piece rail, but I am nothing but impressed. Everything fits on the rail perfectly, it's totall solid and I like the biuld in OD sling connection points.

markm
11-19-08, 19:57
The RAS, no question, is good to go. I damned near consider it an OEM Colt Part.

I haven't tried the Omega yet. It "looks" too thin. I'm very happy with the width and height of the KAC RAS. So I'm slow to move to something that has different dimensions.

OH58D
11-19-08, 20:26
I guess I was not aware the Daniel Defense was Free Float. I thought the front of the rail was held in place by the front handguard cap???

Regards,
OH58D

Don Robison
11-19-08, 20:31
Either one is G2G. I use both. I prefer the UK lower with the RAS. It prevent you from twisting the lower guard off with a vert grip.

cathellsk
11-19-08, 20:42
I have a DD Omega 7" on my 6920. Love it! But on my second rifle, yet to be purchased, I want to go with something different and will probably be going with the KAC RAS.
Anyone know where to purchase one for a good price?

LibertyCola
11-19-08, 23:25
You can get the omega in FDE, not sure about the KAC.

George Mac
11-19-08, 23:42
Has anyone noticed a shift in POA/POI when under sling tension using a sling mount on the RAS? In reading the V-Tac book they mention a possible shift if not using a FF rail. Any personal experience with that and a RAS?

markm
11-20-08, 07:20
Anyone know where to purchase one for a good price?

Grant has the factory seconds for $199. I have one and they're nice.

No one seems to know why they're seconds... or at least they aren't saying. My guess is that the rail numbering is backwards. (the right rail has "L" numbers and the left rail has "R" numbers.)

I'm close to picking up another from GandR soon.

markm
11-20-08, 07:23
Has anyone noticed a shift in POA/POI when under sling tension using a sling mount on the RAS? In reading the V-Tac book they mention a possible shift if not using a FF rail. Any personal experience with that and a RAS?

Since the RAS is a carbean rail system, I've never used sling tension to shoot precision. My sling is adjusted too loose for that since it's a 2 point for tac carry. If I'm taking a precision shot, I'm either proned out with the sling hanging free or using artificial support.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-20-08, 07:40
I haven't tried the Omega yet. It "looks" too thin. I'm very happy with the width and height of the KAC RAS. So I'm slow to move to something that has different dimensions.

i love the slimness of the Omega. probably a love it or hate it type of thing.

i also want to try something different, but i think it will be a DD Lite FSPM for my next rail

I guess I was not aware the Daniel Defense was Free Float. I thought the front of the rail was held in place by the front handguard cap???

almost touches the cap, but not quite.

karmapolice
11-20-08, 08:05
I love them both currently running an omega on my carbine gun and have a ras free float on my 20 inch. I have run the ras two piece before its a good rail, the DD Omega is free float and can be run with a low pro fsp doesn't require the regular fsp or cap.

No.6
11-20-08, 08:08
Both of them need no modification to the weapon,
Both are GTG rails,
RAS is a non-free float
DD omega free float

I personally preferred the RAS.

RAS is a free float hand guard.
You might also consider the URX. I've got one on my SR15 E3 and it's outstanding. When the paperwork clears for my Colt LE6933, I'll most likely go with the URX.

markm
11-20-08, 08:17
RAS is a free float hand guard.

Isn't RAS II the free float version? I know my RAS isn't free float by any stretch of the imagination. The two halves aren't even bolt together.

No.6
11-20-08, 08:25
Isn't RAS II the free float version? I know my RAS isn't free float by any stretch of the imagination. The two halves aren't even bolt together.

Here's the link:

http://www.knightarmco.com/mod_weapons_1.htm

P/N 20208

The RIS (SOPMOD M4) isn't a free float, just a replacement set of hand guards.
You might have the M4 Carbine RAS P/N 98064, that one's not free float.

markm
11-20-08, 09:54
Yeah. There's a RAS FF, and the regular RAS.

The standard RAS isn't free float.

rob_s
11-20-08, 10:37
Yep, there's two (at least) versions of the RAS. The "M4 CARBINE RAS" from the link is non-FF, while the "M4 CARBINE RAS FREE FLOATING BARREL" (obviously) is. Then there's the RASII with the hump.

From what I've seen, the seconds that sell for $200+/- are the non-float version.

I've owned a RIS and a (non-float) RAS, and I'd choose the DD Omega.

flyawaychen
11-20-08, 12:57
yep, if we were referring to the free-float ver. of the RAS, we nomally refer it as
a FF RAS which has a crown looking handguard nut.

but the original RAS which clamps onto the standard delta ring and handguard cap
is not free floating.

Both are battle proven and as solid as it should be.

Jaeger
11-20-08, 23:19
I put a 7" Omega on my N4 earlier this year. It was very simple to install and has been perfectly solid.It has gone through about 2000-3000 rounds so far. 1 EAG class, a week a Sigarms Acadamy and countless times in and out of the rack in a cruiser. It hasn't budged. I'd buy another one.