PDA

View Full Version : Taurus USA moves to Georgia

Slater
01-27-20, 16:31
Wonder if their QC will get any better?

"Taurus USA is holding a grand opening and ribbon-cutting ceremony on Dec. 5, 2019, for its new U.S. manufacturing facility and center of operations located in Bainbridge, GA. The firearm manufacturer’s move to Georgia follows an initial investment of more than $22.5 million in infrastructure and the creation of over 300 new jobs in Decatur County. The five-year plan foresees continued expansion in U.S. engineering and production for the Taurus, Rossi and Heritage product lines, and significant capital and resource investment in the Bainbridge area."

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/12/5/taurus-usa-opens-georgia-manufacturing-facility/

Arik
01-27-20, 18:13
Weren't they in Florida already?

GH41
01-28-20, 06:41

They were in Miami which for practical purposes is like being in New York city or east LA depending on what side of the street you are on.

TexHill
01-28-20, 08:50

"Taurus USA is holding a grand opening and ribbon-cutting ceremony on Dec. 5, 2019, for its new U.S. manufacturing facility and center of operations located in Bainbridge, GA. The firearm manufacturer’s move to Georgia follows an initial investment of more than $22.5 million in infrastructure and the creation of over 300 new jobs in Decatur County. The five-year plan foresees continued expansion in U.S. engineering and production for the Taurus, Rossi and Heritage product lines, and significant capital and resource investment in the Bainbridge area."

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/12/5/taurus-usa-opens-georgia-manufacturing-facility/

The property values in that community are going to plummet.

pinzgauer
01-28-20, 12:09
The property values in that community are going to plummet.Been to Bainbridge lately? It can't do anything but help.

But maybe you are joking?

40 miles north of Tallahassee (and across a state line). Next closest notable towns are Valdosta and Dothan, both more than an hour drive away.

One son did an internship at a state park there and we visited. Counter people at the fast food place were excited to see outsiders in town.

Towns like this are struggling with the loss of US mfg, new investment and jobs are good.

WillBrink
01-28-20, 13:56

I thought their headquarters was Miami but their junk, I mean guns, were made in Brazil.

TexHill
01-28-20, 15:19
Been to Bainbridge lately? It can't do anything but help.

But maybe you are joking?

40 miles north of Tallahassee (and across a state line). Next closest notable towns are Valdosta and Dothan, both more than an hour drive away.

One son did an internship at a state park there and we visited. Counter people at the fast food place were excited to see outsiders in town.

Towns like this are struggling with the loss of US mfg, new investment and jobs are good.

Taurus could cause the property value of the world's worst slum to plummet.

mack7.62
01-28-20, 15:39
Boy what a bunch of snobs, Taurus is literally half or less of the price of the equivalent from a name company and maybe 3/4 of the gun. For some people that is enough, plus they come with a lifetime warranty, would I want to trust my life to one without seriously vetting it, no, but nowndays I will say the same about SIG, Glock, S&W or any other company as a great man once said "trust but verify".

TexHill
01-28-20, 16:20
Boy what a bunch of snobs, Taurus is literally half or less of the price of the equivalent from a name company and maybe 3/4 of the gun. For some people that is enough, plus they come with a lifetime warranty, would I want to trust my life to one without seriously vetting it, no, but nowndays I will say the same about SIG, Glock, S&W or any other company as a great man once said "trust but verify".

I had the privilege of managing a gun store for 3 years, and we consistently sent pistols back to Taurus for warranty work. Over that same time frame I never had to send a pistol back to either Glock or Sig.

In my experience the lower end companies are the ones that offer lifetime warranties, and they do that to give the uneducated and unexperienced a false sense of quality. A used Glock doesn't cost much more than a similar new Taurus, and I would recommend the Glock over the Taurus all day long.

Now that I think about it, I would like to have two Taurus pistols. One to crap on and one to cover it up with.

Business_Casual
01-28-20, 16:26
Active Self Protection features a lot of Brazilian firearms...

titsonritz
01-28-20, 16:39

LOL :haha: That is the first thing that came to my mind.

Slater
01-28-20, 16:55
To be fair, I've heard generally positive comments about their newer 9mm's like the TH9 and G3. They might make decent range guns but I'm not sure I'd trust my life to them.

MountainRaven
01-28-20, 18:08
I had the privilege of managing a gun store for 3 years, and we consistently sent pistols back to Taurus for warranty work. Over that same time frame I never had to send a pistol back to either Glock or Sig.

In my experience the lower end companies are the ones that offer lifetime warranties, and they do that to give the uneducated and unexperienced a false sense of quality. A used Glock doesn't cost much more than a similar new Taurus, and I would recommend the Glock over the Taurus all day long.

Now that I think about it, I would like to have two Taurus pistols. One to crap on and one to cover it up with.

At the gun store I used to work at we’d joke that, “The winner gets a Taurus. The loser gets two Tauruses.”

I kept track of how many guns had to go back to the manufacturer for repairs and Taurus had more than every other brand combined. Some of those Tauruses had to go back more than once, too. I don’t recall there being any common theme to any of them, except that they all said, “Taurus,” in them. There was no they’re fine, but you have to replace this part or keep an eye on that part.