PDA

View Full Version : Larue small aperture bevel

carbinero
11-19-08, 20:25
On my Troy folding rear BUIS, the bevelled edge of both apertures is on the muzzle side. On my Larue fixed, that's likewise with the large aperture...

HOWEVER, the bevelled (actually, it's more rounded, or "scalloped?") edge of the Larue's small aperture points toward the shooter's eye. Why is that?

LettersFromEarth
11-19-08, 21:15
Go down a few threads to this one--Rear BUIS - Troy or MI--It came up there. I emailed TROY and their reply stated that all was well and it (BUIS) was meant to be like that. I use the large peep most of the time but it is still bassakwards to me to have the small one reversed at least compared to other Irons in my collection and exp.

carbinero
11-19-08, 22:05
Thanks for the info...I suppose you could just turn the whole Troy BUIS around, have both apertures bevelled facing you, and also get rid of the annoying bevelled top edge on the Troy's small ap.

However, I think the theory behind it is this: "...edges of the rear sight aperture...should be beveled towards the muzzle, to leave a sharp edge for clear definition, without halation, next the eye." Ancient text quoted here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=EHQCAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA68&lpg=RA1-PA68&dq=bevel+aperture+sight&source=web&ots=qGkAtS15mk&sig=OKVJkh4kwHfrdzF3Mz5QvrLP5VY&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result#PRA1-PA68,M1

That's page 68 from this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=EHQCAAAAYAAJ

Sporting Rifles and Rifle Shooting
By John Caswell
Published by D. Appleton, 1920
Original from the New York Public Library
Digitized May 21, 2007
283 pages

I think there also must be a practical difference between bevelling and dishing. Maybe bevelling should be away and dishing should be toward the eye.

If that's the case, yea for Larue, and what's up with Troy?

If anyone knows definitively, I'd sure like to know!

LettersFromEarth
11-20-08, 09:46
Love LaRue :D

UPSguy
11-20-08, 16:57
There used to be an article on the Troy website by Ken Hackethorn about the location of the bevel of the Troy compared to other sights. He said Troy got it correct, the bevel should face the front.