PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster BCG

Slater
02-01-20, 11:28
Does anyone know who makes (or made, from what I'm hearing) these for Bushmaster?

TexHill
02-01-20, 11:37
Toolcraft most likely.

Slater
02-01-20, 11:44
Thanks. CDNN has them on sale for around $70, so I was wondering if it was worth it to pick one up. Believe these particular ones are nitrided.

Eurodriver
02-01-20, 12:23
Toolcraft most likely.

Why did you bump a thread from 2008? It’s 12 years old.

Surely by 2020 everyone on M4C knows not to give a damn about Bushmaster BCGs...

Arik
02-01-20, 12:29
Why did you bump a thread from 2008? It’s 12 years old.

Surely by 2020 everyone on M4C knows not to give a damn about Bushmaster BCGs...It shows up as a new thread for me. Post #1 made 1hr ago

TexHill
02-01-20, 12:34
It shows up as a new thread for me. Post #1 made 1hr ago

Same here.

bamashooter
02-01-20, 12:39
Thread is current. Never had a problem with their BCGs.

m1a_scoutguy
02-01-20, 13:31
WOW,,fair deal. Man I had a Bushy Rifle from forever ago,,abused the hell out of it and never had an issue. I'll grab and extra or 2 of these.

Vegas
02-01-20, 13:54
I always wanted a Bushmaster; until i found m4c and the hallowed chart. Now that CDNN is blowing out their stuff, I am tempted to pick up the rifle kit and put a decent LPK and BCG in it for some nostalgic beater rifle action :D

Edit: Perhaps I'll source Colt parts for it. Would be like a Rob_S voodoo doll. Aaaaaah, I crack myself up!

Slater
02-01-20, 14:00
If these are Toolcraft, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

ACE31
02-01-20, 14:21
Good thing IF Toolcraft.

Rifleman_04
02-01-20, 15:44
WOW,,fair deal. Man I had a Bushy Rifle from forever ago,,abused the hell out of it and never had an issue. I'll grab and extra or 2 of these.

The Bushmaster of forever ago is Windham. These new bushy parts showing up lately from the liquidation or whatever is going on are all Remington owned garbage parts.

Eurodriver
02-01-20, 15:56
Wow no one got my joke.

Eurodriver
02-01-20, 15:58
The Bushmaster of forever ago is Windham. These new bushy parts showing up lately from the liquidation or whatever is going on are all Remington owned garbage parts.

This.

Which is why it is so surprising to see folks not only ask about them but actually recommend them.

How often is everyone buying BCGs? You can get quality ones for $50 more. Why skimp on literally the only moving part of the upper receiver?

Rifleman_04
02-01-20, 15:59
Wow no one got my joke.

Not many left around here that would get it.

Arik
02-01-20, 16:12
This.

Which is why it is so surprising to see folks not only ask about them but actually recommend them.

How often is everyone buying BCGs? You can get quality ones for $50 more. Why skimp on literally the only moving part of the upper receiver?

Anytime something is banned or goes out of business!

Vegas
02-01-20, 17:12
Wow no one got my joke.

Too highbrow?

Stickman
02-01-20, 17:57
If these are Toolcraft, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

It depends on the quality which was spec'd for the parts when they were made, and we really don't have any idea. Toolcraft is capable of making a wide variety of BCGs, if the customer (dealer or distributor) wants a certain type or finish, they will make what they are asked to.

ABNAK
02-01-20, 18:16
This.

To me, the BCG and barrel are the two most important segments of the AR system. Generally speaking if those two are GTG then so is the rest of the weapon.

Curlew
02-01-20, 19:02
Thanks. CDNN has them on sale for around $70, so I was wondering if it was worth it to pick one up. Believe these particular ones are nitrided.

I bought one of the stripped (keyless) carriers. To my eye at least it looks like good old-fashioned phosphate on the outside, chrome on the inside. Unremarkable basic vanilla carrier. On the left side, where Colt might stamp a “C”, there are two dots.

The $30 bare carrier made sense for my needs, but if I had wanted a phosphate complete BCG I’d have bought one of the AO Precision units that RTB was selling for $70 over the holidays.

m1a_scoutguy
02-01-20, 19:55

Right and my Bushy was from back then & for what its worth it was a good rifle. I hear ya on these New/Old parts. I guess if we knew for sure there would be some reassurance I guess. Maybe I won't get any, LOL Here is a good one,I sent the link to a buddy and he hit me back and said why would I buy that when I can get a PSA BCG for $50 ! :help: :haha:

Rifleman_04
02-01-20, 20:26
Yup early in my mil career just after the 94 ban sunset I bought a bushy patolmans carbine for training. Ran it pretty hard never had a failure. Now my training gun is mostly a Windham parts gun and it just works. I've seen enough Remington garbage in bolt guns and shotguns both mil and civ side in the last 10 years that I wouldn't use anything that was made by them during the reign of cerberus.

robbins290
02-06-20, 13:40
riflemen, i have a few windham rifles for training and hunting. for the price of less then 600 (1300 for the 308). they are great for range use. For the amount of rounds i have put thru them. They have been flawless. Minus some cycle issues with the 762x39 for first couple hundred rounds. I would rather pay 550 for a windham and burn the bolt and barrel up with 20k rounds and save the pair of colts i have for serious work.

SWATcop556
02-08-20, 04:41
I care less about the carrier and more about the bolt. That being said, Bushmaster blowing out some old BCGs and people actually recommending them is a sight to behold for sure. (Sorry Will, we let you down somewhere along the line)

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-08-20, 05:09
Hey guys, we don't recommend garbage here, there are other sites for that nonsense. Okay? Thanks.

Stickman
02-08-20, 09:55
I would rather pay 550 for a windham and burn the bolt and barrel up with 20k rounds and save the pair of colts i have for serious work.

I appreciate this as a realistic, honest answer. I think the same logic applies with steel cased ammo as well.

Who ends up being a better shooter, the guy who shoots steel cased ammo and trains shooting 10k round a year, or the guy who doesn't? I would hate to think I ever promoted the idea of sacrificing training just to afford the newest coolest stuff. There is most certainly a balance for most people. Not that I have anything against people who simply like to collect AR15s, but no one should think themselves "prepared" if they lack training and mindset.

Stickman
02-08-20, 09:58
I care less about the carrier and more about the bolt. That being said, Bushmaster blowing out some old BCGs and people actually recommending them is a sight to behold for sure. (Sorry Will, we let you down somewhere along the line)

I have little doubt Will would have pointed out the minor price difference, or at least mentioned getting a better quality bolt. Of course, that is after he slapped people or locked the thread for being stupid. :D

Miss you Will, and sorry we didn't get that lunch together last time!

Clint
02-08-20, 12:21
Agreed.

Those parts are where the most of the critical tolerances are.

The gas block and gas tube tube should get honorable mention, as those parts add a few important interfaces that complete the gas system.

To me, the BCG and barrel are the two most important segments of the AR system. Generally speaking if those two are GTG then so is the rest of the weapon.

Clint
02-08-20, 12:29
While its true that bolt quality it's key to longevity, the carrier is pretty important for proper function.

Key alignment, key bore diameter, screw torque, staking, diameter at the bolt tail and surface finish at the gas rings are all issues that can compromise function and longevity if they are not right.

I care less about the carrier and more about the bolt.

02-08-20, 16:53
I don't know when Bushmaster was good, but ten- twelve years ago when I was on the training scene, they were always giving problems. Usually the carrier key coming loose.

02-08-20, 17:12
Usually the carrier key coming loose.

Mine did. I think I bought it in 2002. Came loose in the first few hundred rounds.

SeriousStudent
02-08-20, 17:40
I don't know when Bushmaster was good, but ten- twelve years ago when I was on the training scene, they were always giving problems. Usually the carrier key coming loose.

Indeed. That is always the first thing I do on the ones I run into. I have a friend that always brags on his Shrubmaster. Then I point out how I rebuilt the BCG, swapped the buffer, gas rings and gas tube, and used Ned's chamber reamer on it.

Sigh.......

Waylander
02-08-20, 18:10
If I had a nickel for every guy trying to save a few dollars...

SeriousStudent
02-08-20, 18:50
If I had a nickel for every guy trying to save a few dollars...

Exactly. My "friend" is quick to point out that it only took twenty bucks worth of parts to upgrade his. Then I remind him it also took $500 worth of my tools to install those $20 parts and fix his chamber.

Tokarev
02-09-20, 17:00
diameter at the bolt tail.

There is a military inspection gauge for the interior of the carrier at the bore for the bolt tail. Ned has the prints. I don't know if he's ever made one.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Dennis
02-09-20, 18:07
Exactly. My "friend" is quick to point out that it only took twenty bucks worth of parts to upgrade his. Then I remind him it also took $500 worth of my tools to install those $20 parts and fix his chamber.Sounds exactly like my friends who buy PSA or worse. At least I get some continuing education rebuilding their junk. Why are cheap barrel nuts either loose or stupid tight with no grease??

However, while I don't have any cheap 'shootin' ARs I am starting to see the logic in it as my favorite classic Noveske 16" upper is starting to see high round count wear. Makes me sad when I can't think of a better chrome lined barrel I would want... Ideas welcome!

Dennis.

kirkland
02-10-20, 10:28
Sounds exactly like my friends who buy PSA or worse. At least I get some continuing education rebuilding their junk. Why are cheap barrel nuts either loose or stupid tight with no grease??

However, while I don't have any cheap 'shootin' ARs I am starting to see the logic in it as my favorite classic Noveske 16" upper is starting to see high round count wear. Makes me sad when I can't think of a better chrome lined barrel I would want... Ideas welcome!

Dennis.

Criterion

Clint
02-10-20, 12:43
Simple pin gauges work for occasional use, but it does point out the .mil also thinks it may be a critical dimension.

There is a military inspection gauge for the interior of the carrier at the bore for the bolt tail. Ned has the prints. I don't know if he's ever made one.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Curlew
02-10-20, 15:59
I have plenty of measuring tools, but I don’t know what the various dimensions (of say a bolt carrier) are supposed to be. Are the milspec blueprints public domain, or held privately by Colt and FN? Are they available somewhere?

jhr1986
02-10-20, 16:50
In regards to the Bushmaster rifle kits for sale at CDNN:

I have a Toolcraft BCG, and BCM LPK sitting around and I'm sure a few extra charging handles. Why should I not buy one of these kits? I already have BCM, Colt and a couple nice home builds for any "serious" stuff....

Seems like it would make a decent cheap blaster, what am I missing?

robbins290
02-10-20, 21:24
That bushmaster kit is tempting. I also have all the parts laying around