PDA

View Full Version : Any C8 fans? Not quite an M4, but...

CobraGT
02-01-20, 14:20
Any love for the Canadian version of the M4 on here? I only ever got to use the real-deal C7, which remains my true love, but I've always had a soft spot for the C8 as well. Here are my three.... what do other people have? All three of mine are 100% Colt Canada/Diemaco, with the exception of the charging handles.

https://i.postimg.cc/vmsZMhHP/20200201_114613.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Mn9SmyBR)

https://i.postimg.cc/3xpxPV74/20200201_114658.jpg (https://postimg.cc/BjS3Fhj4)

Slater
02-01-20, 15:54
Nice. Is that shade of green unique to Canadian weapons?

marco.g
02-01-20, 16:04
Very cool! The colt Canada/diemaco stuff is unique. Wish they could share with the southerly neighbors.

Is that middle one setup similar to an SFW?

CobraGT
02-01-20, 16:04
Nice. Is that shade of green unique to Canadian weapons?

Depending on the batch, they seem to be produced in somewhere between 7 and 57 slightly different shades of green. They also seem to change color over time, depending on how much sun they are exposed to... getting an exact match between parts can be challenging!

CobraGT
02-01-20, 17:00
Very cool! The colt Canada/diemaco stuff is unique. Wish they could share with the southerly neighbors.

Is that middle one setup similar to an SFW?

Top is the original C8 pencil barrel, middle is the SFW barrel with the tri-ad rail, bottom is the CQB with the folding front sight/integrated rail.

...and I just noticed, I think the barrel sleeve on the SFW is on backwards!

Diamondback
02-01-20, 17:29
We ("we" as in "I built and own it, but on the range it's my girlfriend's to shoot") have a BCM build here. Between the GF and a few CF members over at CanadianGunNutz, we've settled on Gunkote's Napa Green as a "close enough to fake it" since proprietary Canadian Average Green isn't available down here and my gunsmith hates doing Cerakote, which eliminates also-sorta-close Noveske Bazooka Green.

Here's what it looks like right now... we're running an EOTech 552 because Elcans preclude fixed sights and she wants me to teach her "the old-fashioned way" first, not to mention good luck getting a C79 and a green beanie for it down here.

https://i.imgur.com/DFdXoVc.jpg

ESS Shift sling was the closest "act-alike" I could find to the new CF-issue convertible. Recoil pad is still a problem, and we're cheating with an airsoft knockoff tri-rail until either BCM does another run or I figure out how to import one a buddy up there's offered me. (Funny thing... my pro smith spent a half hour examining the Tri-ad, and couldn't believe it was an "airsoft part" until I showed him the invoice. Not my first choice of ways to solve the problem, but it was the "least worst" until better options go on the table again.)

Slater
02-01-20, 17:40
"Canadian Average Green"? Cool-sounding name. I'm surprised the Chinese haven't counterfeited it by now.

Diamondback
02-01-20, 17:49
"Canadian Average Green"? Cool-sounding name. I'm surprised the Chinese haven't counterfeited it by now.

Even the Chinese airsoft knockoffs only come in black so far. LOL Mainly because most airsoft guys either build UK L119's, or just Krylon it...

OutofBatt3ry
02-01-20, 21:52
You can have 30 rounders in CA?

Diamondback
02-01-20, 22:12
You can have 30 rounders in CA?

They have to have 'em pinned at FIVE, ten IF they have an RPAL and an AR pistol. State just did an ITAR crackdown on mag bodies, anything over thirty capacity is export restricted whether Klinton Kucked or not.

RMike89
02-01-20, 22:22
Curious, all 3 are sporting norgon releases. Is that something stock on all c-series up there or an addition on your part? Either way, always been a fan of the kiss concept of colt canada.

Diamondback
02-01-20, 22:26
Curious, all 3 are sporting norgon releases. Is that something stock on all c-series up there or an addition on your part? Either way, always been a fan of the kiss concept of colt canada.

It's a standard spec on the C7A2/C8A3 "mid-life upgrade" packages, along with an ambi safety. Not the OP, but I've been doing a *lot* of research for the GF's iron...

CobraGT
02-01-20, 22:35
They have to have 'em pinned at FIVE, ten IF they have an RPAL and an AR pistol. State just did an ITAR crackdown on mag bodies, anything over thirty capacity is export restricted whether Klinton Kucked or not.

Not quite correct. All semi-auto rifle mags have to be pinned to 5 rounds. Any pistol mags have to be pinned to 10. If there is a 'commonly available' version of a rifle that has been deemed a 'pistol' and has magazines SPECIFICALLY designed for it, they can be pinned to 10. So, as an importer managed to get a version of the AR15 classed as a pistol, mags made specifically for that version can ("coincidentally") be used legally in the rifle version. This has nothing to do with restricted or non-restricted classification... for example, if you own a non-restricted rifle that takes AR mags (say an ACR or XCR with a barrel over 18.6 inches) you can buy the specific pistol mags and use them in your non-restricted rifle. Pin a RIFLE magazine to 10 instead of 5 though, and you go to jail.

Yes, our laws are just as insane and idiotic as yours...

All of the mags in my photos are, sadly, pinned to 5 rounds. Be glad you live in a free country...

RMike89
02-01-20, 22:36
Ahhh gotcha...gotta have the gf's blaster up to spec, if a canadian bacon scenario were to play out and such.

Regardless, that's a solid add-on for the platform, our conventionals don't get ambi controls and I think norgon got added onto the "approved" list of personal additions recently at the trooper's expense.

Diamondback
02-01-20, 22:48
Ahhh gotcha...gotta have the gf's blaster up to spec, if a canadian bacon scenario were to play out and such.
She's Canadian by birth, so I thought a C8 for her would be more "personal" than just his-and-hers M4's--the Umbrella Corp. lower and "Front Toward Enemy" (we have a joke between us that her temper goes off like a Claymore) optic cover are similarly "personal accents."

Norgons are also authorized by USMC, and while as a southpaw I'm fine running the mag-release with right thumb I like the additional release option they offer. They're a right NASTY bugger of a job to install in tandem with a Radian A-DAC bolt catch though...

Diamondback
02-01-20, 22:52
Be glad you live in a free country...

Not for much longer if Virginia, Oregon and Washington get their way. :( Thanks for the clarification; this is why I keep all the toys down here and *in* the unlikely event any of my irons ever come traveling with me for matches up there, I'll have to arrange to borrow mags from my hosts.

RMike89
02-01-20, 23:04
Sooooo what you're saying is that she's French Canadian?

I run a norgon on one of my lowers and a troy on the other, both solid.

veeklog
02-01-20, 23:12

This is as close as I was able to get my clone. 80% lower engraved by John Brace, and except for the barrel, which was taken off a BCM C8 clone, all parts are either Diemaco or Colt. The upper, tri-mount, and BCG are Diemaco; the butt stock, buffer, buffer spring, buffer tube, charging handle, LPK, pistol grip, and six hole carbine hand guards are Colt USA. I only wish for the access to the CHF C-8 barrels and Diemaco furniture

Diamondback
02-01-20, 23:13
Sooooo what you're saying is that she's French Canadian?

No, she's from Toronto, and if she heard you even suggest "Quebecois" she'd probably go ballistic. Part of the reason *I* have the guns is that *she* has the Viking Berserker gene... LOL

SeriousStudent
02-01-20, 23:35
...... Pin a RIFLE magazine to 10 instead of 5 though, and you go to jail.

Holy shit, really? Not throwing a BS flag, but they lock people up in Canada for something like that?

Damn brother, I am sorry to hear it. :(

RMike89
02-01-20, 23:51
Canada has gone down several routes as of recent that would make one sit there and scratch their head while simultaneously bringing about little glimpses of our own government's shortcomings.

And those of viking stock are not to be taken lightly, just ask my ancestors in the isle of wales and the woods of eastern prussia. Just a whole swath of people eating loads of psychedelics and running into battle...scariest environment imaginable.

CobraGT
02-02-20, 11:16
Holy shit, really? Not throwing a BS flag, but they lock people up in Canada for something like that?

Well, you'd be charged, and likely end up with a criminal record, but given that even our REAL criminals rarely do time here, you probably wouldn't actually go to prison. Though given that our government seems to think that legal gun owners are a bigger problem than Toronto gangbangers, you never know.

Diamondback
02-02-20, 11:33
Offtopic: CobraGT, have you signed E-2341? I don't have a dog in your fight, but I'm trying to help friends who do. :)

CobraGT
02-02-20, 13:38
Offtopic: CobraGT, have you signed E-2341? I don't have a dog in your fight, but I'm trying to help friends who do. :)

Yes... we'll see if it does any good.

Diamondback
02-02-20, 13:51
Yes... we'll see if it does any good.

Good luck, brother... you're gonna need it with all the learning disabilities Turdo and bLIAR seem to have.

SeriousStudent
02-02-20, 20:17
Well, you'd be charged, and likely end up with a criminal record, but given that even our REAL criminals rarely do time here, you probably wouldn't actually go to prison. Though given that our government seems to think that legal gun owners are a bigger problem than Toronto gangbangers, you never know.

That really is a bummer. I wish you luck, and keep fighting the good fight.

veeklog
02-05-20, 22:16
Besides the C-79, does anyone know what optic, sling, and light does Canadian Forces issue the C-8? I heard they issue Eotech 552’s, and possibly EXPS-3’s, but nothing about the light and sling

Diamondback
02-05-20, 23:13
Besides the C-79, does anyone know what optic, sling, and light does Canadian Forces issue the C-8? I heard they issue Eotech 552’s, and possibly EXPS-3’s, but nothing about the light and sling

Light is an Insight M3X, sling is a Canadian proprietary 2-to-1 convertible for latest issue.

Boltgun
02-07-20, 11:47

That's because you would be in possession of a Prohibited Device...you would definitely be charged criminally, and if convicted could face jail time....first offence would likely end up in a probation situation with a ban of firearms and ammo for 5 years

Boltgun

Rebel Rouser
02-08-20, 19:24
That really is a bummer. I wish you luck, and keep fighting the good fight.

All the Eotech got sent back during the recall. Here's a DND contract ACOG with custom reticle.

https://i.imgur.com/L2wWTGJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/H9aoT0z.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9vm9duz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SvLMW2n.jpg

Diamondback
02-08-20, 19:39
All the Eotech got sent back during the recall. Here's a DND contract ACOG with custom reticle.
snip

Hey, RR, would you mind giving a critique on my build for trying to capture the general "feel" of an Eotech-days C8A3? (Furniture color is a known issue, awaiting a trip to the gunsmith; buttpad is taking a bit more work.)