PDA

View Full Version : Rail Covers? why?

LibertyCola
11-19-08, 23:11
Other than looks are there any real uses for rail covers assuming you are using a vertical grip? Can the rail really be damaged that easily? I am looking into an omega 7.0 so this would be useful information.

JWNathan
11-19-08, 23:14
The edges of the rails can be quite sharp.
-Jesse

exitinyourhead
11-19-08, 23:17
they can sometimes get rather warm also with prolonged shooting. I have a vfg on mine as well but my entire hand doesn't only rest on the grip... part of it extends up onto the rail as well.

frogger
11-20-08, 01:02
Also, a quad rail is pretty expensive. If your gun gets dropped or banged into something do you want to replace your entire quad rail because you didn't want to spend $30 on a cheap set of rail covers?

KyAKGuy
11-20-08, 01:58
Other than looks are there any real uses for rail covers assuming you are using a vertical grip? Can the rail really be damaged that easily? I am looking into an omega 7.0 so this would be useful information.

Drag your fingers, hand or arm across the edge of them once without the covers
and you will wish you had them on it....;)

KyAKGuy

Iraqgunz
11-20-08, 02:44
The real reason is to protect the rail(s) from getting damaged which would then cause you to have an issue in mounting items to your rails, I have seen more than a few where guys had no rail covers on the weapons and they banged them around damaging the T-slots. You then needed a small file to remove the nicks and dings so an item would mount properly.

noctis
11-20-08, 03:34
If I didn't give a shit about my rail system I wouldnt use rail covers.
If I would have no intentions of EVER mounting an aiming device on those rails, I would not use rail covers.

I want to protect my rails because when I take off my aiming device and want a repeatable BZO, I want it to be as accurate as possible when I place it back or move it backward of forward. I want the rails to keep their structural integrity.

Scratches are one thing, Dents are another.

I wear gloves and it doesnt bother me either way.

givo08
11-20-08, 10:39
Besides protecting the rails from damage, the rails themselves can be sharp as hell. I sliced my finger open when I was trying to slide a rail cover on because i let my finger hang over the side of the cover and drag against the rail.

mmike87
11-20-08, 11:58
Mixing and matching all four colors of XTM panels looks really, really cool IMO! :cool:

Oh, and they protect the rails, too.

markm
11-20-08, 12:04
Rail protection here. That's why I'm one of those "Top Rail Cover User" outcasts!

FLGator
11-20-08, 14:45
Are "ladders" as good as traditional covers?

noctis
11-20-08, 15:13

For what? User protection(heat)? Rail Protection?

FLGator
11-20-08, 15:31
For rail protection. Heat protection. Grip.
Right now I have traditional handguard. I may get rails soon. I like the look of ladders but I'm wondering if there is a downside.

Damascus
11-20-08, 15:34
Personally, I use Magpul OD green ladder type rail covers on my S&W's Troy MRF - rather than the plain-jane rail covers that came with the rifle - I felt the factory covers made the handguard feel too "fat" for me.. and I felt the ladder type low-profile covers not only looked better, but made my rifle feel better, better ergonomics... As far as protection - I do not think they protect as well as the regular covers in certain situations, since low profile ladder covers still leave the face of the picatinny slot exposed, but as long as you don't throw your rifle down a flight of steel stairs, it shouldn't make a difference.
If you value you're rifle, get some rail covers, regular or low-profile, either one is better than nothing.
BTW - During a training course, I witnessed a fellow trip and fall onto his weapon... the LaRue rail on his rifle took a big ol' chunk out off his cheekbone... probably would've been prevented had he been using rail covers/protectors.

telecustom
11-20-08, 15:36
Ladders work well for protecting the rails. But not so great for protecting your hands. I actually use both ladders and covers. It all depends on the section of rail I am covering. I don't really give a shit how it looks as long as it works.

markm
11-20-08, 20:20
The ladders are mediocre at best. They smash into the cuts towards the ends of the rails. There better than nothing, but not very effective at protecting.

Failure2Stop
11-21-08, 04:10
Life without rail covers is harder than life with them.

I prefer the MagPul XT covers over others due to their texture, profile, and easy to alter length.

MX5
11-21-08, 08:12
While running your hands over a naked rail, think of a cheese grater.

platinumdude
11-21-08, 13:03
I need one more rail cover, where is a good place to buy them online?

JSantoro
11-21-08, 20:53

For damage control: If you're running all over that Hell's Rock Garden Half-Acre known as Afghanistan (or similar terrain), the benefits of full covers become readily apparent when one trips over a rock and smacks the rail system into the boulder that also breaks one's nose as a reminder that one fell. If you're not running around on ground like that, it's less likely to be a concern.

For heat: Full rails definitely beat ladders at keeping your hand from getting uncomfortable or burned, though wearing a set of gloves that protects you and allows you the dexterity you need is a plus.

I mostly use cut-up ladder sections to cover small gaps that a normal rail cover can't, which keeps my hands from getting chewed up. They're great for that application, but I also wear Nomex gloves about 90% of the time, too.

normal
11-23-08, 03:42
According to DD's website, the Omega comes with ladders.

Dave L.
11-23-08, 03:58
According to DD's website, the Omega comes with ladders.

That is correct.

I like the Surfire ladders better than the DD/Magpul ones, they are rubbery as opposed to stiff plastic.