PDA

View Full Version : LMT MRP CQB Quality?

MSplumber
02-03-20, 21:11
There's an LMT MRP CQB for sale here locally, the price isn't too bad. I've always heard of LMT as being a top-notch manufacturer, but then I started reading threads taking place over the last decade. Some say the straight pins they use for the gas block are inferior to taper pins in that they're not as secure, and some have said there have been cases of the gas block pins walking out. Also, it seems to come with a semi auto BCG. Finally, it seems that some, including recently, have complained about the quality of MIM parts.

Considering the adoption of the MRP system by at least New Zealand and Estonia (and .308 MWS by the UK), is it safe to say LMT's are top notch when it comes to reliability and durability? Anyone know of any problems with them? I'd like to finish up my AR line up before the panics start.

ALCOAR
02-03-20, 21:36
Your talking about LMT's traditional M4 style upper in regards to the gas block pins, as well as the S/A BCG.

In regards to the MRP barrel's gas block....it's bar none the most bombproof gas block design in the AR realm. It's press fit on, and without professional tools you can't get it to budge.

I've been using MRPs since 2009, and my appreciation for them only continues to grow. The one piece 7075 chassis yields a number of unique advantages over a traditional AR upper. The QD barrel ability is also a great benefit.

LMT barrels are extremely accurate. They weigh a little bit more than some uppers.

MSplumber
02-03-20, 21:39
Your talking about LMT's traditional M4 style upper in regards to the gas block pins, as well as the S/A BCG.

In regards to the MRP barrel's gas block....it's bar none the most bombproof gas block design in the AR realm. It's press fit on, and without professional tools you can't get it to budge.

I've been using MRPs since 2009, and my appreciation for them only continues to grow. The one piece 7075 chassis yields a number of unique advantages over a traditional AR upper. The QD barrel ability is also a great benefit.

LMT barrels are extremely accurate. They weigh a little bit more than some uppers.

From the stats I've been reading about the MRP, it too uses a semi auto BCG:

The CQB MRP™ Defender Model 16 features:

CQB MRP® Upper Receiver.

16" Chrome Lined 1:7" Twist H-Bar Contour 5.56 Barrel.

Standard Semi Auto Bolt Carrier Group.

I know I also read that the pinned gas block of the MRP series uses straight pins too, along with a C buffer, but now I can't find where I read it.

I don't mind the extra weight. Certainly less heavy than certain other guns I have.

GunFighter98
02-03-20, 21:41
There's an LMT MRP CQB for sale here locally, the price isn't too bad. I've always heard of LMT as being a top-notch manufacturer, but then I started reading threads taking place over the last decade. Some say the straight pins they use for the gas block are inferior to taper pins in that they're not as secure, and some have said there have been cases of the gas block pins walking out. Also, it seems to come with a semi auto BCG. Finally, it seems that some, including recently, have complained about the quality of MIM parts.

Considering the adoption of the MRP system by at least New Zealand and Estonia (and .308 MWS by the UK), is it safe to say LMT's are top notch when it comes to reliability and durability? Anyone know of any problems with them? I'd like to finish up my AR line up before the panics start.

I have used LMT for over 10 years. Never had a problem with gas pins walking out. LMT is good to go.

ALCOAR
02-03-20, 21:49
From the stats I've been reading about the MRP, it too uses a semi auto BCG:

I know I also read that the pinned gas block of the MRP series uses straight pins too, along with a C buffer, but now I can't find where I read it.

I don't mind the extra weight. Certainly less heavy than certain other guns I have.

Again, the MRP gas block is press fit onto the barrel...the pin is irrelevant to it's design in the context of your way of thinking. You can believe me or not.

Your listing specs for the LMT defender M4forgery one that was on the "Chart".....not for the LMT MRP.

To be honest, I'm not sure a MRP is for you.

https://i.imgur.com/ZGXyHRA.jpg

MSplumber
02-03-20, 21:54
Again, the MRP gas block is press fit onto the barrel. You can believe me or not.

Your listing specs for the LMT defender M4forgery one that was on the "Chart".....not for the LMT MRP.

To be honest, I'm not sure a MRP is for you.

Yes, they're press fit to the barrel and then pinned with straight pins. The two processes are not mutually exclusive. Chris Bartocci of Small Arms Solutions (who worked with LMT) also confirmed they use straight pins and press fit for the MRP, and said that it accomplishes the same task just as well as taper pins. It definitely wasn't the chart. I got the semi auto bolt carrier thing from actual product descriptions of the MRP from multiple sites, and several threads I've read recently confirm it. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. Just wanted some feedback.

I have used LMT for over 10 years. Never had a problem with gas pins walking out. LMT is good to go.

Good to hear. Thanks! Think I'm gonna go pick it up tomorrow.

mark5pt56
02-04-20, 05:27
You will be very pleased, solid guns. I really like the 20" 5R one.

Sabre675
02-05-20, 10:29
11 out of 10

Pappabear
02-05-20, 13:38
LMT MRP's built like a Bradley

PB

markm
02-05-20, 14:22
Yes, they're press fit to the barrel and then pinned with straight pins. The two processes are not mutually exclusive. Chris Bartocci of Small Arms Solutions (who worked with LMT) also confirmed they use straight pins and press fit for the MRP, and said that it accomplishes the same task just as well as taper pins. It definitely wasn't the chart.

In my opinion, the MWS gas block is so tight, it needs no pin. The straight pin is plenty for a block. Taper pins are a little more desirable on a forget front sight base/tower that you find on a traditional iron sight AR due to more exposure to impacts.

ALCOAR
02-05-20, 15:15
In my opinion, the MWS gas block is so tight, it needs no pin. The straight pin is plenty for a block. Taper pins are a little more desirable on a forget front sight base/tower that you find on a traditional iron sight AR due to more exposure to impacts.

Yeah this is what I was getting at with my earlier replies.

Good luck removing a MRP or MWS gas block even when the pin is removed.

hotrodder636
02-05-20, 19:02
I have 2 LMT barrels, both gas blocks are solid. No issues.

wolffie
02-06-20, 22:54
With regard to the BCG. It kind of depends on what was spec’d by whoever ordered the gun from LMT. I’ve got four LMTs going back 13 years now. Two are SA cut, two are FA cut. They have all been flawless. If it bothers you buy a different carrier. it will not cause a functional issue. You will be pleased.