PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Mags run amok

rob_s
11-20-08, 07:24
This is what happens when you tack a magazine or two onto every order you place with Brownells. this is 50+, and I've since dug up a few others!

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_3304-800.jpg

No.6
11-20-08, 07:51
One can never have too many magazines....

rob_s
11-20-08, 07:55
One can never have too many magazines....

Yeah, but at $20+/- each I'll probably wind up wishing they were all AR mags at the same price. Could have gotten three Pmags for every two of the 1911 mags. :eek:

karmapolice
11-20-08, 08:01
Nice mag collection, I see lots of power mags which is always a good choice. I need to pick up a few more for my 1911's but I am more worried about ar stuff and ammo at the moment, I still need to order a milt sparks double mag carrier to replace my single one. Looks like there are some regular shooting stars. wilson mags, and then some novak mags too. All good mags which I have used all of them with out issues in multiple 1911's.

No.6
11-20-08, 08:20
Yeah, but at $20+/- each I'll probably wind up wishing they were all AR mags at the same price. Could have gotten three Pmags for every two of the 1911 mags. :eek:

Well being as you're self-employed (like myself), you're just swimming in the cash, right? ;)
I know I am. :) At least till the "Big O" decides to make me be more "patriotic". :rolleyes:

Lawdog537
11-20-08, 08:40
Good for you Rob........reminds me of that scene from "Last Man Standing" when Bruce Willis is sitting there loading his mags......I love that scene!!!!!!!!!

Paulinski
11-20-08, 09:21
Nice collection. As stated above one cannot have enough magazines.

Ned Christiansen
11-20-08, 10:33
Resistance is futile :D

rob_s
11-20-08, 10:40
It's funny the things you realize when you're packing up to move. These magazines were scattered all over the house, in no less than 3 shooting bags and one range-tote ammo can, loaded with no less than 5 types of ammo in various mixtures, etc.

Oddly, if someone had asked me what I had more of, 1911 magazines or AR magazines, I probably would have said AR. Based on what I've uncovered, that doesn't appear to be true! :eek:

MaceWindu
11-20-08, 10:42
I am a fan of the Wilson ETM mags...thoughts?

Mace

rob_s
11-20-08, 10:50
I actually picked up the newer Wilsons after dropping the 1911 to run the Glock for 2008. I got a chance to shoot with them a couple of times, and I like them fine.

Obviously from the pic, I'm a CMC Powermag guy bigtime. I generally prefer them to the standard Wilson 47D, but I think the new Wilsons are growing on me. Of course, I hear theres a new version of the CMC out too, so once I get back into 1911 shooting I'll obviously need 4 of those (4 is my typical IDPA layout and I generally buy new magazines in groups of 4, and I have another ETM floating around somewhere).

DM-SC
11-20-08, 20:06
I have been shooting the Wilson ETM's for a short while. I've had no issues with them so far.

I bought 10 of the CMC Power Mag Plus's but, I haven't fired a single round from them! Heavens! All that money just sitting there! ;)

Line Rider
11-21-08, 09:07
:)SWEEET:)

toddackerman
11-21-08, 19:29
I am a fan of the Wilson ETM mags...thoughts?

Mace

You won't be after you leave them loaded for long periods of time and their already weak springs start to fail on last round slide locks. They also have a problem with feed lip spread. That's why they're replacing them. Measure yours in the middle of the feed lips with a caliper. They should be .485" +/- .005". If they are beyond that...send them to Wilson and they will replace them.

If you want asuperior Mag go to www.trippresearch.com, and look at the 8 round Cobra mag.

Razorhunter
11-21-08, 19:49
Don't bother paying the premium for the new CMC mags. It's only a new follower, and one should ditch the CMC follower and install a Tripp Research follower kit anyhow...
I think Cobramags RULE all personally....

Ned Christiansen
11-26-08, 08:11
The Cobramags are good in my book, too. I don't know what the new CMC is but I wonder if it has the new spit follower, looks like the Devel/CMC but with a skirt down the front-- a huge imporvement I believe. I never had good luck with the Devel follower--starting with a real Devel mag in maybe '79, on up to last time I tried one, probably a year ago. This new skirted-front Devel style follower has a new patent number (ending in 907 if memory serves), and I just saw one in a mag that came with a Kimber Warrior, and Virgil Tripp offers them.

One thing I've learned about magazines, a strong mag spring is a big help, and grows exponentially in importance as the stroke and slide mass of the gun are reduced....Commander, LW Commander, Officers length, Ultra Compact.... etc. Springs in the Tripps, like any spring, come in at X strength, after just a few cycles it is reduced, but then they really haver staying power and are always, in my testing, stronger by 50%-ish than anything else out there.

But it's like the dresser drawers in a Three Stooges scene-- a drawer is out, so you push it in. This causes another drawer to pop out, and when you push it in-- you get the idea. Stronger mag springs will tend to spread the lips more. Think about what happens every time the slide moves back-- as the breachface clears the top round in the mag, WHAM, that round shoots up and is stopped by the feed lips. After a bunch of repeats, they can start to spread. I have not seen this with the Tripp mag bodies yet but I don't shoot as much as some folks.

I've turned a lot of bad mags into good ones but just adding the Tripp Super-7 kit. New spring and follower.... not super easy to get in, but once in, any Colt or Metalform is GTG in my experience. Back to the Department of You Don't Get Something For Nothing, in these mags I like to TIG the floorplate on since, well, they do pop off once in a while even without an extra-strong spring. Just a little insurance.

Not meaning to sound like a Tripp Research infomercial here but those are my findings.

MaceWindu
11-26-08, 11:17
I attended a Pistol class last weekend. (3) shooters ran 1911's, including myself. We all ran Wilson ETM mags. About 750-1000 each. No issues to report, all mags ran well...

Mace

toddackerman
11-26-08, 11:45
[QUOTE=Ned Christiansen;257516]
But it's like the dresser drawers in a Three Stooges scene-- a drawer is out, so you push it in. This causes another drawer to pop out, and when you push it in-- you get the idea. Stronger mag springs will tend to spread the lips more. Think about what happens every time the slide moves back-- as the breachface clears the top round in the mag, WHAM, that round shoots up and is stopped by the feed lips. After a bunch of repeats, they can start to spread. I have not seen this with the Tripp mag bodies yet but I don't shoot as much as some folks.

[QUOTE]

Ned,

I agree with everything you have said including your beliefs on Feed Lip Spread. This is why after I thoroughly test my Cobra Mags for carry, I don't use them for anything else. I have not experienced ANY feedlip spread in almost a year now with the 8 Cobra Mags that I dedicate to CCW. I have 2 loaded at all times, and rotate them in and out at the first of every month to let them rest so each Mag is resting for 3 months before it's put back into service. (Not sure this is needed but Hilton Yam suggests it.)

I us well worn Mags of every variety for my raining sessions. Some of them even have cracked feed lips and the springs on some probably have over 10,000 rounds on them. Yes they do Malf. occaisionally, but that is good for failure drills.

I also had bad luck with the original Devel follower dating back to 1979.

macman37
11-26-08, 12:44
Here I thought I was Captain Cool with 19 1911 mags. ;)

Dave_M
11-26-08, 19:55
It's funny the things you realize when you're packing up to move. These magazines were scattered all over the house, in no less than 3 shooting bags and one range-tote ammo can, loaded with no less than 5 types of ammo in various mixtures, etc.

Heh, I know the feeling. Whenever I clean something out (a drawer or a dresser or whatever) I manage to find some loose ammo or a magazine every time.

Jason Burton
11-26-08, 21:55
... Stronger mag springs will tend to spread the lips more. Think about what happens every time the slide moves back-- as the breachface clears the top round in the mag, WHAM, that round shoots up and is stopped by the feed lips. After a bunch of repeats, they can start to spread.

Not to hi-jack this thread but I wanted to add something to Ned’s comments regarding magazine feed-lip wear.

An additional contributing cause to spreading magazine feed-lips is empty loads. Most folks seat a magazine with a good bit of force and vigor. And as a pistol is reloaded from slide-lock there is a fair amount of force exerted on the feed-lips when the magazine comes to rest. The momentum/shock of the bullets (compounded by the mag spring) coming to a sudden stop against the feed-lips has essentially the same function of force that Ned mentioned.

As an example... Measure the feed-lips on a brand new magazine. Remove the slide off of an assembled frame and with the fully loaded magazine simulate empty loads. When the top round starts to regularly “pop” out of the magazine measure the feed-lips again. They will have likely spread.

That test and findings are not mine originally but rather were passed on to me by a friend who is a well known competitive shooter. I’ve done that test with many brands of magazines and found it to be pretty consistent.

As for the new CMC Power Mag +... the ones I’m testing seem to work just fine. Which may not being saying much since I’ve never had any real trouble from the original Power Mags. :)

Ned Christiansen
11-27-08, 12:37
Aw jeez. We had a perfectly good thread going here and then Jason has to show up. Yust yokin' ol' pal. And as I read your post I'm goin', that is SO TRUE, I wish I'da thought of that!

Gee whiz Jason, I wonder who your competitive shooter buddy could be? I mean, does he really, really know anything?

Pretty sure Jason is referring to a guy who, ah, does know a thing or two about shooting and has the backing of the minds and resources at Springfield Armory.

Either way, I smell a test coming on.