PDA

View Full Version : Feds suspend Tennessee from military surplus program for 60 days...

tn1911
02-05-20, 16:27
Feds suspend Tennessee from military surplus program for 60 days after gun goes missing

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/feds-suspend-tennessee-from-military-surplus-program-for-60-days-after-gun-goes-missing

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Tennessee law enforcement agencies receive more military surplus equipment through a federal program than any other state in the country.

But last month the Department of Defense abruptly suspended Tennessee's Law Enforcement Support Office (LESO) from the program after determining it was out of compliance.

The sixty-day suspension is primarily because one county sheriff did not properly report a lost gun. But our investigation found it is not just one county that lost guns.

Alpha-17
02-05-20, 16:31
Remington .45? If you're gonna walk off with something, get something cooler than that at least.

tn1911
02-05-20, 16:33
Remington .45? If you're gonna walk off with something, get something cooler than that at least.

Yeah I was thinking at least an Apache or an Los Angeles Class sub...

titsonritz
02-05-20, 16:39
Well as long as it's the government and LE it's OK, after all, they are the only ones that should be trusted with guns in first place.

.45fan
02-05-20, 16:47
The majority of lost gun news stories are LEO's losing them, leaving them in the bathroom etc.
Is there some how to see the total amount of "lost guns" per year and who lost them?
I understand the news people want to make cops look bad but I'm curious if that many people lose guns or is it the majority are from LEO's?

mack7.62
02-05-20, 16:49
This happens all the time,

More guns are found to be missing from the Maricopa County Sheriff's office

https://www.azfamily.com/news/audit-finds-guns-missing-from-mcso-armed-volunteer-posse-members/article_121b20e4-20d6-11e9-8436-d319ddd9bdd8.html

On Friday, Sheriff Paul Penzone announced an additional audit done with the help of the ATF found the number of missing guns was actually much higher. He says fifty guns have gone missing or have been stolen from MCSO.

The weapons include:

-29 fully automatic weapons,
-20 short barrel shotguns,
-1 short-barreled rifle.

8 Mississippi departments with missing guns from 2014 missing 12 M-14's.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/8/8-mississippi-departments-with-missing-guns/

MERIDIAN, Miss. (AP) - Four M-14 military rifles missing from the Meridian Police Department are among dozens of weapons missing from law enforcement agencies across the country.

Guns unaccounted for in Mississippi:

- Jackson Police Department, missing M14.
- Meridian Police Department, four missing M14s.
- Calhoun County Police Department, missing M14.
- Vaiden Police Department, a .45-caliber pistol was sold at a gun exchange.
- Philadelphia Police Department, two missing M-14s.
- Columbus Police Department, three missing M-14s.
Mississippi Department of Public Safety, one missing M14.

Also from 2014 Cali had problems mostly missing M-16's

https://www.kqed.org/news/147328/lost-weapons-prompt-halt-of-military-gear-to-some-sheriffs-departments

The San Mateo and Napa County sheriff's departments are suspended from a federal program that provides hand-me-down military equipment to law enforcement agencies because the departments are unable to account for some missing assault weapons.

The departments are two of nine law enforcement agencies in the state currently suspended from the Defense Department's 1033 program, according to documents provided to KQED by the California Office of Emergency Services, which facilitates the federal program in this state

26 Inf
02-05-20, 16:57

You mean Sheriff Joe didn't keep adequate safeguards and accountability?

And his Posse was pretty much run the same way?

tn1911
02-05-20, 17:02
The majority of lost gun news stories are LEO's losing them, leaving them in the bathroom etc.
Is there some how to see the total amount of "lost guns" per year and who lost them?
I understand the news people want to make cops look bad but I'm curious if that many people lose guns or is it the majority are from LEO's?

When I still worked patrol in Georgia we had a guy drive off with his issue AR on the trunk of his car and another guy lost all his issue mags for his G22...

Vic79
02-05-20, 17:17
Honestly screw the feds, they probably just want to send them to Mexico for another fast and furious.

mack7.62
02-05-20, 17:33
When I still worked patrol in Georgia we had a guy drive off with his issue AR on the trunk of his car and another guy lost all his issue mags for his G22...

I remember back in the 90's a SWAT guy from one of the smaller departments around Salt Lake City leaving the range put the bag holding his MP-5 and mags on trunk of his patrol. A local found it sitting in the middle of the street and took it to the local station which was closed up for the night so they left it inside the entrance where it was found the next morning. That's what I would have done also....really I would have. Course my favorite story was the FBI Suburban stolen from a motel they were staying at during a training mission, had all sorts of goodies in it.

titsonritz
02-05-20, 17:36
Meanwhile, you have states across the country attempting to implement "Safe Gun Storage Laws" and hold liable victims of theft responsible for the actions of the thieves that misuse weapons that have been stolen. You can't make this shit up, it's beyond the Twilight Zone.

john armond
02-05-20, 17:54
We had this program in my department. It was a bunch of WWII 1911s and Nam era M16 & M14. Fun range days

Also on one department that got a bunch of surplus trucks that we used for hurricanes, including a semi set up as a command center. Auditer came by one day and saw the town facilities department misusing one of the trucks. Auditer said the wanted THAT ONE truck back. My chief said F-U, if your gonna take that, then take everything. We didn’t have the semi for the hurricane a month later...or any other of their trucks. This was back in the late 90s. That chief never impressed me.

.45fan
02-05-20, 18:03
When I still worked patrol in Georgia we had a guy drive off with his issue AR on the trunk of his car and another guy lost all his issue mags for his G22...It seems like about once or twice a year some form of LEO loses their gun in the Detroit area, at least that is what the news reports.
I am just curious how much of this happens with Joe Public. The news doesn't bother much with honest reporting.
I'm wondering if people are just stupid or if LEO's having so many exemptions from laws makes them more irresponsible.
The dumbocrats want to make us all sound as if we are all irresponsible, I'm just looking for a source to see what the real world numbers would be.

ABNAK
02-05-20, 19:43

https://www.azfamily.com/news/audit-finds-guns-missing-from-mcso-armed-volunteer-posse-members/article_121b20e4-20d6-11e9-8436-d319ddd9bdd8.html

On Friday, Sheriff Paul Penzone announced an additional audit done with the help of the ATF found the number of missing guns was actually much higher. He says fifty guns have gone missing or have been stolen from MCSO.

The weapons include:

-29 fully automatic weapons,
-20 short barrel shotguns,
-1 short-barreled rifle.

8 Mississippi departments with missing guns from 2014 missing 12 M-14's.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/8/8-mississippi-departments-with-missing-guns/

MERIDIAN, Miss. (AP) - Four M-14 military rifles missing from the Meridian Police Department are among dozens of weapons missing from law enforcement agencies across the country.

Guns unaccounted for in Mississippi:

- Jackson Police Department, missing M14.
- Meridian Police Department, four missing M14s.
- Calhoun County Police Department, missing M14.
- Vaiden Police Department, a .45-caliber pistol was sold at a gun exchange.
- Philadelphia Police Department, two missing M-14s.
- Columbus Police Department, three missing M-14s.
Mississippi Department of Public Safety, one missing M14.

Also from 2014 Cali had problems mostly missing M-16's

https://www.kqed.org/news/147328/lost-weapons-prompt-halt-of-military-gear-to-some-sheriffs-departments

The San Mateo and Napa County sheriff's departments are suspended from a federal program that provides hand-me-down military equipment to law enforcement agencies because the departments are unable to account for some missing assault weapons.

The departments are two of nine law enforcement agencies in the state currently suspended from the Defense Department's 1033 program, according to documents provided to KQED by the California Office of Emergency Services, which facilitates the federal program in this state

Hmmm.....seems to me some folks in Mississippi are sure fond of M-14's eh?

BWT
02-05-20, 21:05
I was about to say - an astonishing number of machine guns. You’d expect pistols or I would anyway...

Weird.

God Bless,

Brandon

mack7.62
02-05-20, 22:26
When departments started going to patrol rifles they wound up getting a lot of M16A1's or even earlier versions most big departments converted these to semi by pulling the auto sear and replacing the safety and disconnector. Program was ripe for abuse from the article on Tennessee:

At the time, McMinn County had received 161 army rifles and pistols, including 71 M16 assault rifles, even though it only had 31 officers and investigators.

Not just firearms they could put in for any surplus Eotech's, Aimpoints, NOD's up to MRAP's.

sundance435
02-06-20, 14:43
I was about to say - an astonishing number of machine guns. You’d expect pistols or I would anyway...

Weird.

God Bless,

Brandon

As far as the old DRMO program, the only pistols you could get were USGI 1911s. Some looked like they sat in a rack for 60 years, others looked like they'd been in every conflict since WWII. I don't doubt there are many of those in chiefs' private collections. The M14s departments receive are all converted by the government to semi prior to transfer - not sure why it's only those and not the M16s. As for "missing" automatic weapons, that's been happening since the Gun Control Act of '34. I'd bet there are hundreds, if not thousands, of unaccounted for Thompsons/Colts and even belt-feds.

markm
02-06-20, 16:47
You mean Sheriff Joe didn't keep adequate safeguards and accountability?

And his Posse was pretty much run the same way?

Posse guys provide their own guns. And last I knew, Deputies bought their own pistols too (within the approved requirements). I used to see Deputies with 1911s even.

MCSO did have some pool rifles, but I don't know how or when they were deployed.

ABNAK
02-06-20, 16:52
As far as the old DRMO program, the only pistols you could get were USGI 1911s. Some looked like they sat in a rack for 60 years, others looked like they'd been in every conflict since WWII. I don't doubt there are many of those in chiefs' private collections. The M14s departments receive are all converted by the government to semi prior to transfer - not sure why it's only those and not the M16s. As for "missing" automatic weapons, that's been happening since the Gun Control Act of '34. I'd bet there are hundreds, if not thousands, of unaccounted for Thompsons/Colts and even belt-feds.

You mean with the selector switch removed and the "button" put on? If that's the case it is easy to convert back to FA.

Surely the feds didn't mill off the selector nub.

26 Inf
02-06-20, 17:22
Posse guys provide their own guns. And last I knew, Deputies bought their own pistols too (within the approved requirements). I used to see Deputies with 1911s even.

MCSO did have some pool rifles, but I don't know how or when they were deployed.

I was referring to the part of the article that explained why the 'new' sheriff had suspended the posse due to not completing required training and/or documentation. The old 'give me twenty bucks and I'll give you a badge.'

mack7.62
02-06-20, 17:37
You mean with the selector switch removed and the "button" put on? If that's the case it is easy to convert back to FA.

No they wouldn't do permanent mods, these firearms are on loan and still belong to the Feds, they can ask for them back at any time. Like during the early 2000's they recalled M-14's from ROTC units and LE orgs that had them to be rebuilt and used as EBR's and DMR's.

flenna
02-06-20, 19:34

We got several M-14s back around ‘98 or ‘99. Our armorer, a crusty old VN veteran, put a selector switch in one of the rifles “for range use only”. That thing was a blast to shoot FA, had to really hold it down to keep it from climbing.

john armond
02-06-20, 20:55
Ours all came with full auto switches, both the M16s and M14s. An M14 on full auto is pretty fun. A quote I heard about it years ago is “first round is in the chest, second in the head, third...your an anti-aircraft gun.”

sinister
02-07-20, 09:15
Like during the early 2000's they recalled M-14's from ROTC units and LE orgs that had them to be rebuilt and used as EBR's and DMR's.
The CMP recalled all their loaner M14s because most shooters had transitioned to the AR/M-16. Each time an M14 goes missing the issuing/loaning entity (police department, CMP, state association) must complete a no-kidding Army investigation that goes to the Secretary of the Army in the annual audit.

The larger ROTC Senior Military Colleges (Citadel, Virginia Military Institute, and Texas A&M) still have M14s. Of the 40 we have at Texas A&M to supplement 350 M4s, maybe a half-dozen have the happy switch installed while the rest of the switches are in the armorers' work station drawer.

markm
02-07-20, 10:26
I was referring to the part of the article that explained why the 'new' sheriff had suspended the posse due to not completing required training and/or documentation. The old 'give me twenty bucks and I'll give you a badge.'

I'm not sure how much of that wasn't just Paul Penzone (new sheriff) just being an ass wipe. Sheriff Joe was a little silly for sure, but the new guy (who I actually voted for) has been a dud.

ABNAK
02-07-20, 16:21
The CMP recalled all their loaner M14s because most shooters had transitioned to the AR/M-16. Each time an M14 goes missing the issuing/loaning entity (police department, CMP, state association) must complete a no-kidding Army investigation that goes to the Secretary of the Army in the annual audit.

The larger ROTC Senior Military Colleges (Citadel, Virginia Military Institute, and Texas A&M) still have M14s. Of the 40 we have at Texas A&M to supplement 350 M4s, maybe a half-dozen have the happy switch installed while the rest of the switches are in the armorers' work station drawer.

Two questions:

That "no-kidding Army investigation", does it actually seek out where the weapon went and seek to prosecute? Surely someone in the chain of custody can be charged criminally, correct? I mean it's a missing (read: stolen) FA firearm.

What, in 2020, does Texas A&M do with M-14's? Are they for drill and ceremony purposes?