PDA

View Full Version : Updated Colt lower and upper receivers: “CM5”

JediGuy
02-08-20, 07:59
Ambi controls, including mag release, handguard attachments built into upper receiver, some other cool stuff.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/gearscout/irons/2020/02/07/colt-is-back-sort-of-this-time-with-an-updated-version-of-the-us-military-m4-rifle/

This really does look interesting. Ugly, but interesting.

RHINOWSO
02-08-20, 08:01
Basically the ambi controls they have on the LE901/CM762/CM65 lowers

flenna
02-08-20, 08:51
That lower receiver sure looks “busy”...

ABNAK
02-08-20, 09:39
Is that Terry Bradshaw holding the weapon in the top pic?

And yes, that lower looks really busy!

georgeib
02-08-20, 09:46
Oh, and isn't this the rifle they won't sell stateside? No civilian sales; no more Colt for me.

ETA: Shame too. As I would have been in the market for one of these.

JediGuy
02-08-20, 13:43
Oh, and isn't this the rifle they won't sell stateside? No civilian sales; no more Colt for me.

ETA: Shame too. As I would have been in the market for one of these.

No current sales. They’ll be back.

alx01
02-08-20, 16:09
Article is strange, feels like an author is paraphrasing somebody who's seen it and provided him with the undercover crappy partial pictures.

Lower definitely looks nice. I'd buy one. Really like thicker bolt catch. No reason given why they beefed up trigger/hammer pin areas - it would be interesting to find out. I don't buy the stated reason to beef up trigger pins. Steel pins will wear out aluminum lower regardless with high use, unless they thickened it to integrate steel inserts. Probably will require at least different pins, if not the entire FCG.

Article mentions MLOK rail, but no CM5 pictures are available as a complete gun in any configuration or caliber. Buffer tube shot is shown, but no details given.

Buncheong
02-08-20, 17:30
I’m guessing they call it ‘CM5’ because CM4 is already taken.

By Centurion Arms.

3ACR_Scout
02-09-20, 22:05
I'm curious what that horizontal slot(?) is on the left side below the mag catch / forward of the BAD lever-style bolt release. I'm not to familiar with ambi lowers, but I don't recall seeing that on others.

Colt apparently first unveiled this model in 2017 at the Bahrain International Defence Exhibition & Conference according to this article (https://patriotswithguns.com/articles/colt-m5-enhanced-carbine-introduced-at-bidec/). Back then, they were just calling it the Colt M5 Enhanced Carbine.

dave 0
02-10-20, 04:27
Looks like that slot is so you can drive out the pivot pin for the left side mag release lever.

the AR-15 Junkie
02-10-20, 05:16
Looks like that slot is so you can drive out the pivot pin for the left side mag release lever.

Excellent call.

alx01
02-10-20, 14:30
I'm curious what that horizontal slot(?) is on the left side below the mag catch / forward of the BAD lever-style bolt release. I'm not to familiar with ambi lowers, but I don't recall seeing that on others.

Colt apparently first unveiled this model in 2017 at the Bahrain International Defence Exhibition & Conference according to this article (https://patriotswithguns.com/articles/colt-m5-enhanced-carbine-introduced-at-bidec/). Back then, they were just calling it the Colt M5 Enhanced Carbine.

Interestingly they refer to a short-stroke piston system in M5. I now recall seeing that article a few years back. Not sure why Colt has never introduced a piston configuration to compete with HK416. Seems like they have it figured out - why not put it on the market?

R.O.U.S.
02-10-20, 16:20
Interestingly they refer to a short-stroke piston system in M5. I now recall seeing that article a few years back. Not sure why Colt has never introduced a piston configuration to compete with HK416. Seems like they have it figured out - why not put it on the market?

Colt was selling a 6940P (piston model) back in 2012. It didn't seem to stick around very long. If I remember right, some people didn't like that the BCG was 2 piece. Instead of a gas-key the BCG had a screwed and staked piston strike face.

At the time it was released, I think there were some complaints about price, and it faced stiff competition from the LMT MRP piston, LWRC, Ruger AR piston models, and Adams Arms conversion kits when it was released.

I think I remeber Armsunlimited were selling Colt M4 - Piston marked lowers 2018-2019, and I thought to myself "huh, thats a blast from the past".

MadAngler1
02-11-20, 01:22
I think it’s too little, too late for Colt. There are so many other options out there for consumers in the AR world that are superior or equal to Colt. Think of LMT, KAC, DD, Bravo Company to name a few.

and yes, it would be dumb not to get a CM5 variant out to civilians. We’re the best beta testers out there. The appearance of the CM5 lower looks poorly executed though compared to a LMT MARS lower or a Knight’s.

sidewaysil80
02-11-20, 11:58
I think it’s too little, too late for Colt. There are so many other options out there for consumers in the AR world that are superior or equal to Colt. Think of LMT, KAC, DD, Bravo Company to name a few.

True, but to be fair out of all the comparable brands you listed, Colt is def the bang for the buck. The closest in price would be BCM but even they’re more expensive...not too mention no where near as proven/tested.

markm
02-11-20, 13:38
That lower receiver sure looks “busy”...

I absolutely have ZERO use for ambi nonsense on an AR. Safeties drive me nuts, and if you have to look down and take a minute to figger out what button to push to do something.... Hell no.

alx01
02-11-20, 15:27
I absolutely have ZERO use for ambi nonsense on an AR. Safeties drive me nuts, and if you have to look down and take a minute to figger out what button to push to do something.... Hell no.

Then don't use. Why all the complaining about nothing? Nobody cares if you like it or don't. This is a matter of a personal preference. Next thing you're going to complain that you don't like adjustable stocks, magazine releases, sights, or red dots because you have to look through them, or the recoil spring because it goes back and forth.

Given the option I would always choose ambi controls (if they are done properly) on any weapon.

Pappabear
02-11-20, 15:42
I picked up a lower that had some ambi controls. “Supposed to be an ex Colt “ exec that put a ton of his own stuff on consignment at LGS. I bought it because it was restricted then saw that ..
Pretty cool.

PB

Mrgunsngear
02-11-20, 22:30
I picked up a lower that had some ambi controls. “Supposed to be an ex Colt “ exec that put a ton of his own stuff on consignment at LGS. I bought it because it was restricted then saw that ..
Pretty cool.

PB

Any photos of that lower?

masakari
02-11-20, 23:06
I really don't like the design of the Colt ambidextrous stuff. the opposite side bolt release is a completely different design and in a different location, I like the way Smith & Wesson did it with the M&P 10.

Pappabear
02-12-20, 09:48
Any photos of that lower?

I’m out of town for the week. But when I get back in town, I’ll hook you up.
PB

Sry0fcr
02-12-20, 15:57

Seems to be a theme for these guys. Releasing a midlength in 2017 :laugh:

hotrodder636
02-12-20, 19:19
Please share on here, I would like to see this as well.

I’m out of town for the week. But when I get back in town, I’ll hook you up.
PB

AO777
02-16-20, 23:01
M5 is sweet. I thought that had it at shot show this year. I had a chance to shoot one earlier in the year and loved it. To bad it’s export only :/