PDA

View Full Version : Netflix: Greatest Events of WWII in Color

Vegas
02-09-20, 02:25
Anybody catch this series of documentaries? Very much worth a watch and learnt a few things I didn't know such as how widespread the deception was pre D-Day with the inflatable army! I really enjoyed the D-Day and Battle of Midway episodes. I am up to the bombing of Dresden episode; pretty somber stuff.

Cheers.

tgizzard
02-09-20, 06:46
Does it focus on the Eastern Front at all? I know we all love the Western Front, myself included and for obvious reasons, but the Eastern Front is where the bulk of the major fighting took place. I'll watch this regardless, I'd just like to see more documentaries from the war that have a bigger focus on the Eastern Front fighting.

StovePipe_Jammer
02-09-20, 08:01
Does it focus on the Eastern Front at all? I know we all love the Western Front, myself included and for obvious reasons, but the Eastern Front is where the bulk of the major fighting took place. I'll watch this regardless, I'd just like to see more documentaries from the war that have a bigger focus on the Eastern Front fighting.

This.

I've read quite a bit on WW2 and love to read first hand accounts. Seeing footage, especially colorized, brings it all to life.

On a side note, it's difficult to find good written first person stuff on the Eastern Front. I've found some well written German accounts but the Russian first hand accounts all read like straight-up propaganda.

Vegas
02-09-20, 12:44
The eastern front is referenced in different episodes but there is an episode on the Siege of Stalingrad. Here’s the episode list:

1. Blitzkrieg
2. Battle of Britain
3. Pearl Harbor
4. Battle of Midway
5. Siege of Stalingrad
6. D-Day
7. Battle of the Bulge
8. Dresden Firestorm
9. Liberation of Buchenwald
10. Hiroshima

Buchenwald is tough going. It was getting late when I watched it and turned it off halfway through. Other episodes I would have carried on watching and went with less sleep but not that one. Throughly depressing. Battle of Britain was another outstanding episode though. I am probably biased having grown up in the city the Spitfire was designed and produced.

_Stormin_
02-09-20, 12:53
Just finished the first episode. It's a very well done show, and I look forward to watching the next nine episodes.

Honu
02-09-20, 14:38
Anybody catch this series of documentaries? Very much worth a watch and learnt a few things I didn't know such as how widespread the deception was pre D-Day with the inflatable army! I really enjoyed the D-Day and Battle of Midway episodes. I am up to the bombing of Dresden episode; pretty somber stuff.

Cheers.

if you have amazon prime check out "Ghost Army" it's all about the inflatable

might be able to just find it online

yeah watched

Vegas
02-09-20, 15:19
if you have amazon prime check out "Ghost Army" it's all about the inflatable

might be able to just find it online

yeah watched

Thanks! I have prime so I’ll check it out. Interesting thing is I could have swore a book I read probably 20 years ago talked about a lot of wooden models being used.

SteyrAUG
02-09-20, 22:02
You guys might also want to check out The Pacific War in Color on the Smithsonian channel. The amount of previously never seen footage is amazing. Also I think everything is original color film and not just colorized.

It begins with some vacation footage from 1937 of a couple who flew from CA to HA to Midway to Wake to Shanghai and then to Japan.

Honu
02-11-20, 15:17
Thanks! I have prime so I’ll check it out. Interesting thing is I could have swore a book I read probably 20 years ago talked about a lot of wooden models being used.

if ya watch it wait for the line when some locals saw the guys moving the tanks around :) silly small part but good !

Honu
02-11-20, 15:19
You guys might also want to check out The Pacific War in Color on the Smithsonian channel. The amount of previously never seen footage is amazing. Also I think everything is original color film and not just colorized.

It begins with some vacation footage from 1937 of a couple who flew from CA to HA to Midway to Wake to Shanghai and then to Japan.

thanks had not seen this yet totally stoked now :)