PDA

View Full Version : At least ten U.S. casualties (2 KIA and 8 WIA) in Af

WillBrink
02-09-20, 08:37
It appears a SF team was ambushed. Are the locals ramping up the fight as some negotiation related ploy?

A Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha (ODA) was ambushed in Afghanistan, resulting in multiple casualties.

It appears that at least two American commandos have been killed and several wounded — unconfirmed reports put the number to four Wounded in Action (WIA). Emerging reports indicate that the SF team was ambushed by its partner Afghan National Army (ANA) force (a Green-on-Blue incident). Sources familiar with the incident told SOFREP that it was a 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) ODA.

Colonel Sonny Leggett, the spokesperson for U.S. Forces-Afghanistan (USFOR-A), stated that “a combined U.S. and Afghan force conducting an operation in Nangarhar Province was engaged by direct fire on Feb. 8. We are assessing the situation & will provide further updates as they become available.”

https://sofrep.com/news/breaking-special-forces-team-ambushed-in-afghanistan-multiple-casualties/

prepare
02-09-20, 10:35
Is there even any point in being there other than for some political BS?

WillBrink
02-09-20, 10:44
Is there even any point in being there other than for some political BS?

At this juncture, I really can't say. We stay for the usual reasons, leave and create a vacuum, it goes back to what it was or worse, and we're back to starting point, and the lives lost and $ spent all for nothing.

I understand the POV. Obviously, throwing more lives and $ at it when there is likely no happy ending in that country, is also a POV I understand.

It's complicated...

Wake27
02-09-20, 10:54
Definitely complicated, especially since we’ve been negotiating with the taliban for months and we’re both sparring to have the upper hand during those negotiations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillBrink
02-09-20, 11:06
Definitely complicated, especially since we’ve been negotiating with the taliban for months and we’re both sparring to have the upper hand during those negotiations.

Which is why I asked the Q in the OP. During negotiating one or both sides tend to ramp up the hostilities historically speaking.

Pappabear
02-09-20, 11:11
It drives me nuts all the fkd up places we send our boys. I only pray there is a larger play that I am totally missing, because it seems senseless.

PB

jpmuscle
02-09-20, 11:18
More unacceptable casualties in a never ending war in a worthless sector of the planet.

Disgraceful.

prepare
02-09-20, 13:25
One of the worst consequences of the whole M.E. war/conflict has been and continues to be mass migration. They're already causing major problems in the U.K. and the E.U. and it won't be long until it starts here. Theres a shitload of them already here and more keep coming.

fred
02-09-20, 15:14
One of the worst consequences of the whole M.E. war/conflict has been and continues to be mass migration. They're already causing major problems in the U.K. and the E.U. and it won't be long until it starts here. Theres a shitload of them already here and more keep coming.

immigration Jihad

Don't Tread On Me
02-10-20, 10:04
immigration Jihad

History repeats itself. Dig a little and you'll find info on the Caliphate of Cordoba.

ABNAK
02-10-20, 10:14

We did similar during Vietnam. Linebacker II was specifically designed to get the North Vietnamese to quit balking in Paris at the peace talks.

I hope that ODA wasted the entire ANA unit involved. Every last one of them. Of course we know they wouldn't be allowed to do that, but it would be a just revenge.