PDA

View Full Version : 26 murdered, 57 wounded, Thailand mall shooting

WillBrink
02-09-20, 08:54
This one looks like old fashioned crazy vs religion of peace, motives, but details still coming in:

Mass public shooting in Thailand mall and military base, at least 26 murdered, 57 wounded, six in intensive care

The suspect – named by defence officials as Sgt. Jakrapanth Thomma – posted a video on Facebook and even posed for a selfie in front of the burning building.

He is now holed up in a basement at the mall in the city of Nakhon Ratchasima, also known as Korat, in a dramatic stand-off with cops.

The Health Minister confirmed a member of the Thai security forces was killed – bringing the grisly death toll to 21.

Police and the army have now stormed the shopping centre, with reports shots were heard as cops were met with angry shouts and gunfire.

Hundreds of shoppers who were taken hostage inside the mall have since run free. . . .

https://crimeresearch.org/2020/02/mass-public-shooting-in-thailand-mall-and-military-base-at-least-21-murdered-33-injured-six-in-intensive-care/?

flenna
02-09-20, 09:47
They need more gun control laws. Only police and military should have guns. Oh, wait.....

Schmidtty
02-09-20, 10:18
I was told mass shootings were a uniquely American thing. I was also told more gun control would stop these things. I guess those people are wrong?

Prayers sent for all those families.

SomeOtherGuy
02-09-20, 10:20
They need more gun control laws. Only police and military should have guns. Oh, wait.....

Beat me to it... 110%

SeriousStudent
02-09-20, 12:41
I spent a fair bit of time in Korat. The people were always kind, and very nice to us. I'm sorry to read about this.

_Stormin_
02-09-20, 15:30
This is a terrible thing to read. The gun control angle will be entirely ignored by the media, or somehow this will all be Trumps fault.

Sam
02-10-20, 05:39
I spent a fair bit of time in Korat. The people were always kind, and very nice to us. I'm sorry to read about this.

What time frame was that?

Someone mentioned about gun control in Thailand. Actually, gun ownership is allowed. In the early 70s, we saw quite a bit of gun stores in Bangkok. Walked along some shopping district, among restaurants, jewelry stores, markets, etc. there were gun stores selling handguns and long guns.

Now they even have IDPA clubs.

SeriousStudent
02-10-20, 17:34

1987 - 1988. I was a wee youngster, going wherever my rich Uncle sent me.

SteyrAUG
02-10-20, 18:51

Someone mentioned about gun control in Thailand. Actually, gun ownership is allowed. In the early 70s, we saw quite a bit of gun stores in Bangkok. Walked along some shopping district, among restaurants, jewelry stores, markets, etc. there were gun stores selling handguns and long guns.

Now they even have IDPA clubs.

I think somebody was being sarcastic. A lot of gun people retire to Thailand, it's a pretty libertarian kind of country. Pretty sure George Sullivan of Armalite moved there after visiting the country during gun sales of things like the AR-18.