PDA

View Full Version : RIP Robert Conrad

dpb1776
02-10-20, 00:13
Loved Baa Baa Blacksheep and Wild Wild west hate to see him gone.

Honu
02-10-20, 01:09
original wild wild west was one of my favs growing up :) also remember his battery commercials and of course blacksheep ( both shows as mentioned) yeah loved his shows

SteyrAUG
02-10-20, 01:14
Ahhhhh DAMMIT.

Besides Bruce Lee, he was the other primary role model.Wild, Wild West or Baa Baa Black Sheep, it really didn't matter.

Actual martial artist, made it a point of pride to do his own stunts whenever possible and making the name Greg Boyington a household word.

Sadly I was to learn he was somewhat of an arrogant jackass who loved to start conflicts in South Florida clubs with his bodyguards in tow, but nobody is perfect.

Slater
02-10-20, 05:43
"Baa Baa Black Sheep"/"Black Sheep Squadron" was one of my favorite4 shows back in high school. Of course, I didn't know or care that it bore no resemblance to the operational realities of VMF-214 in the Pacific. The Corsairs were beautifully restored, though.

Buckaroo
02-10-20, 08:28
Wow, that's depressing...
My parents wouldn't let us watch WWW because it was "too violent." My how times have changed!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

chadbag
02-10-20, 10:07
Yeah, when I heard the news, I thought, "another great is gone"

"I dare ya'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugi16ZC11t8

Averageman
02-10-20, 10:14
Wild Wild West was epic. I was a big fan, you know when I watched Once upon a time in Hollywood, I thought of Robert Conrad.

The_War_Wagon
02-10-20, 11:08
In lieu of flowers, Conrad’s family is requesting donations to the Wounded Warrior Project and The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation

Stand up guy.

ramairthree
02-10-20, 15:47
Stand up guy.

When I was little I enjoyed the WWW reruns and also like the flying show.

Around the time of the battery commercials there was some lore floating around that he tried to enlist in the marines with his best friend from childhood. He never shipped because he lied and was 15, but his 17 year old friend did and died in Korea.

May just fall into the Mr. Rogers wore long sleeves to cover up his confirmed kill tats from his sniper days in VN lore category,
But it would explain the donations.

OH58D
02-10-20, 16:24
The Wild Wild West has always been a favorite of mine. I remember each episode was: "The Night of...........". The opening credits animation brings back memories as well. And of course an arch villain in the form of the diminutive Doctor Miguelito Quixote Loveless (Michael Dunn) always spiced up an episode - too bad he died at age 38 in the early 1970's.

SteyrAUG
02-10-20, 16:31
"Baa Baa Black Sheep"/"Black Sheep Squadron" was one of my favorite4 shows back in high school. Of course, I didn't know or care that it bore no resemblance to the operational realities of VMF-214 in the Pacific. The Corsairs were beautifully restored, though.

That is where my love affair with the corsair began. Yeah, it was a little depressing to find out most story lines were fabricated and there was no Capt. Harachi "Devil in the Slot" and things like that but it was one of the most fun shows of my preteens.

I have both that and Wild Wild West on DVD box sets.

ABNAK
02-10-20, 18:38
That is where my love affair with the corsair began. Yeah, it was a little depressing to find out most story lines were fabricated and there was no Capt. Harachi "Devil in the Slot" and things like that but it was one of the most fun shows of my preteens.

I have both that and Wild Wild West on DVD box sets.

I had Boyington's book back when I was a kid. Sure, the show was 70's made-for-TV stuff, obviously didn't touch on his being a POW and that part of it.

My parents used to extort me.....they knew damned well I liked Baa Baa Black Sheep and would threaten me to not being able to watch it if I didn't do XXX (i.e. chores). It worked because that show was the highlight of my week!

ETA: the Corsairs they flew on Baa Baa Black Sheep were the bubble-canopy version. The ones Boyington actually flew were the more straight-line canopy earlier version.

Campbell
02-10-20, 21:04
Here is celebrity death I can relate to. Black Sheep...... I don’t care about his personal life, but I loved his role on that show...

SteyrAUG
02-11-20, 00:17
I had Boyington's book back when I was a kid. Sure, the show was 70's made-for-TV stuff, obviously didn't touch on his being a POW and that part of it.

My parents used to extort me.....they knew damned well I liked Baa Baa Black Sheep and would threaten me to not being able to watch it if I didn't do XXX (i.e. chores). It worked because that show was the highlight of my week!

ETA: the Corsairs they flew on Baa Baa Black Sheep were the bubble-canopy version. The ones Boyington actually flew were the more straight-line canopy earlier version.

At least they were flying actual corsairs and not CGI animation. Sometimes when I watch Tora, Tora, Tora I actually want to cry over how many historical planes they destroyed. But as an adult watching the DVDs I'm stunned by how much they recycled the same 8 minutes of footage and used it in nearly every single episode. But as a bonus there is lots of real "gun camera" footage of enemy kills which would never be allowed today.

Here is celebrity death I can relate to. Black Sheep...... I don’t care about his personal life, but I loved his role on that show...

More than the death of a celebrity, his show had the effect of making my generation actually research Greg Boyington and the 214. In addition to his POW status, Medal of Honor and a bunch of other things he was actually a member of the AVG "Flying Tigers" which is where he learned and refined his tactics for fighting the Japanese who often had technically superior planes and very experienced combat pilots.

His story is ripe for a factual full length film. I'm just not sure I'd trust Hollywood to not make a Michael Bay movie.

dpb1776
02-11-20, 00:43
I read a good bit about Boyington. I didn’t realize he flew with the AVG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABNAK
02-11-20, 09:05
Some douchebag college in the Pacific NW where Boyington had gone to school refused to allow a statue of him to be built; too "warlike" or some such BS.

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/washington_students_say_pappy_boyington_no_hero/

Read that, it'll make your head explode.

chuckman
02-11-20, 13:17
Conrad was in a lot in the 60s and 70s, and into the 80s. I loved Blacksheep, I had not realized it was on for just 2 seasons. It seemed like it was on forever.

RE: Boyington, I knew a corpsman who took care of him at the VA hospital later in life. He said he was egotistical, loved to tell stories, and generally a cranky old man who didn't get along with anyone. But his exploits are the stuff of legend.