PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Light with LED?

Race
11-20-08, 12:41
I'm thinking about getting an M&P .45 for a nightstand pistol and would like a light. Are there any top-tier makers that use LEDs?

Thanks.

Gutshot John
11-20-08, 12:47
I'm thinking about getting an M&P .45 for a nightstand pistol and would like a light. Are there any top-tier makers that use LEDs?

Thanks.

Several...I own a Streamlight TLR-2.

Race
11-20-08, 13:14
Thanks for the info, John. Is the Streamlight one of the better models? And is the only difference between the TLR-1 and TLR-2 the laser?

Thanks again.

tiger seven
11-20-08, 13:30
I have a TLR-1 that I like a lot. For the price (around $100) it can't be beat. Insight also makes some reasonably priced LED pistol lights, like the SSL-1 and the Procyon.

However, I'd say top-tier would be Surefire - the X200 series and the newer X300. They're just a bit out of my price range. :)

Derek

ToddG
11-20-08, 13:45
Insight Procyon.

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/normal_mp9-procyon.jpg

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/xtiprocyon-reflector.jpg

Strobe in action: Night shoot at Rogers Shooting School (http://pistol-training.com/excluded-pages/night-shoot-at-rogers-shooting-school)

maximus83
11-20-08, 14:26
I've been happy with my Streamlight TLR-1. There's an updated version of this, called the C4 LED, that gives you 135 lumens and 2.5 hrs of battery time. I've seen it for as low as $90.

SHIVAN
11-20-08, 14:27
Surefire X300

Gutshot John
11-20-08, 14:42
Thanks for the info, John. Is the Streamlight one of the better models? And is the only difference between the TLR-1 and TLR-2 the laser?

Thanks again.

I think any recommendation you see here from any number of people will be of comparable quality. It's mostly about your needs and how much you want to spend.

The only difference is the laser, which I almost never use.

maximus83
11-20-08, 14:50

Thanks again.

One minor difference, besides the laser, is that the TLR-1 is actually waterproof, and the TLR-2 (for some unknown reason) is not.

Iraqgunz
11-20-08, 16:06
I am drunk on Surefire Kool-Aid. Get the X300.

Race
11-20-08, 16:14
I am drunk on Surefire Kool-Aid. Get the X300.

Can you elaborate on what is better about the Surefire vs. the Streamlight?

Thanks again.

exitinyourhead
11-20-08, 16:34
I have 2 x300 surefire's and 1 Insight Procyon. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. The switches on the x300 are stiff as a board but it is built well and throws out tons of light. The Insight, however, offers a strobe feature that the x300s do not and the switches are easier (less stiff) to manipulate if you have trouble reaching them. The insight is also a little bit easier to dispense variable volumes of light (full, momentary and strobe.) I like them both a lot. I'd recommend listening to ToddG's advice on strobing before i dropped a wad though. I had the x300 first and bought the insight after listening to him.

ST911
11-20-08, 16:36
Can you elaborate on what is better about the Surefire vs. the Streamlight? Thanks again.

Nutshell: Same types of stuff that separates the better and lesser of the ARs.

And like them, not all the differences will matter to all users. A TLR-1 may be fine for you. It's not a bad light, but it's not a SF.

Buy the SF.

Paladin_139
11-27-08, 15:54
I have to tell you that I personally am not a fan of the TLR-1. My department issued several of them and as I already had an X300, I never used it much. I've shot several hundred rounds of .40 and .45, (some +P), and other than some residue getting on the lens I can't complain at all about the X300.

Like I said we were given TLR-1s and I threw it on my Kimber 1911 just today and after 8 rounds the light no longer works. It was working fine before I shot it. I don't know if the LED is trashed or if it's just a fluke but long story short is that I won't be leaving that one on my 1911 next to my nightstand anymore.

MisterWilson
11-27-08, 16:12
Nutshell: Same types of stuff that separates the better and lesser of the ARs.

And like them, not all the differences will matter to all users. A TLR-1 may be fine for you. It's not a bad light, but it's not a SF.

Buy the SF.

This.

Also, if you ever decide to migrate your light to your rifle, the X300 makes for an AWESOME rifle light. I'm actually wanting to buy a second right now.

CLHC
11-27-08, 16:40
SF.X300

John_Wayne777
11-27-08, 17:09

Thanks.

Here are some links that might help.

Review of the Procyon from Insight: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=22208

Review of the TLR-2: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13432

Hopefully that will help in your search.

NoBody
11-27-08, 17:12
Deleted.

toasterlocker
11-28-08, 17:53
I have 2 x300 surefire's and 1 Insight Procyon. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. The switches on the x300 are stiff as a board but it is built well and throws out tons of light. The Insight, however, offers a strobe feature that the x300s do not and the switches are easier (less stiff) to manipulate if you have trouble reaching them. The insight is also a little bit easier to dispense variable volumes of light (full, momentary and strobe.) I like them both a lot. I'd recommend listening to ToddG's advice on strobing before i dropped a wad though. I had the x300 first and bought the insight after listening to him.

This is the best post so far.

As a FORMER owner of an X300, I will tell you the Procyon is better in every way unless you are hellbent on using an expensive after market tapeswitch, which is only an option with the Surefire.

Unless you like tape switches, the XTI is a brighter, easier to use light for a lot less money. Anyone that thinks the X300 is actually worth the $180-200 they charge for it is smoking crack.

The Streamlight isn't nearly as good as the other two lights, but it is still worth the money if you are looking to save a few bucks.

Iraqgunz
11-28-08, 18:01
Having been using the Surefire X200 and 300's for a while now I just find that they hold up and always work. I use an X200 on my G19 here in country and I have had zero issues. My pistols at home have X300's on them and again no issues.

Though I have not used the newer Streamlight lights I had an older M3 that was an absolute piece of crap and I guess that jaded me from their products.

Can you elaborate on what is better about the Surefire vs. the Streamlight?

Thanks again.

Iraqgunz
11-28-08, 18:04
I'll have you know that crack is not easy to get over here and so I usually can't smoke it, but once or twice a year.

This is the best post so far.

As a FORMER owner of an X300, I will tell you the Procyon is better in every way unless you are hellbent on using an expensive after market tapeswitch, which is only an option with the Surefire.

Unless you like tape switches, the XTI is a brighter, easier to use light for a lot less money. Anyone that thinks the X300 is actually worth the $180-200 they charge for it is smoking crack.

The Streamlight isn't nearly as good as the other two lights, but it is still worth the money if you are looking to save a few bucks.

decodeddiesel
11-28-08, 18:12
Though I have not used the newer Streamlight lights I had an older M3 that was an absolute piece of crap and I guess that jaded me from their products.

I felt the same way until I tried the TLR-1 with the C4 LED. It is brighter than my X200 and rivals an X300.

John_Wayne777
11-28-08, 18:25
Having been using the Surefire X200 and 300's for a while now I just find that they hold up and always work. I use an X200 on my G19 here in country and I have had zero issues. My pistols at home have X300's on them and again no issues.

I agree with you on the M3. That was a big steaming pile.

From what I've seen out of the Procyon so far it's in a totally different league.

RogerinTPA
11-28-08, 18:28
I have 2 TR-1's for hand guns (Inexpensive, good light and durable) and 2 SF X300's (Brighter and throws a longer beam, durable but expensive. I got a deal on ebay a while back for $175.00 ea.) for the rifles. I need 2 more lights for my other rifles so I may give the Insight Procyon a try. I like the strobe feature.:cool: