PDA

View Full Version : 2020: A Time For Clarity

Mozart
02-10-20, 18:56
This’ll be a strange thread, but I’ve been dealing with an illness in my family over the past 5 weeks. I’ve had some time to think. About priorities, plans, actions to start, actions to cease, dreams, my role and responsibility, etc.

The year is 2020. 2020 is perfect vision. 2020 means CLARITY.

What things are becoming more clear to you? What wisdom can you offer? Are there lessons that you had to learn the hard way that you can pass on to others? No one needs to get too personal. I just want us to be able to encourage each other, particularly those members who may be going through a difficult time.

So what clarity have you experienced?

Diamondback
02-10-20, 19:16
In the long run, it's all small stuff. The things that matter are your good name, your self-respect and your loved ones; everything else is secondary to those.

Makes life a LOT simpler when you KISS like that...

ABNAK
02-10-20, 19:38
Make sure, in no uncertain terms, that people who you care about know it and people who have helped you know your appreciation (in most cases these two categories overlap).

"Please" and "Thank you" don't cost you anything, use them freely!

SomeOtherGuy
02-10-20, 20:19
There's always some looming crisis and probably will be for the rest of your life. Live your life to the fullest you can - date, get married, buy a house, have kids, go on vacation, do hobbies or sports, whatever is fun and rewarding for you.

Death will get each of us eventually. It may be in the Wuhan-flu pandemic, or the "big igloo," or it may the mundane: car accidents, cancer, heart attack at 55. You don't know when or how it will happen. You can't. Live life regardless.

I'm preaching this because since 2008, I've been guilty of worrying too much and living too little. I've changed that in the last couple years, and I'm doing my best to go farther yet.

Krazykarl
02-10-20, 20:26
Live simply. It will never be how much clutter you have accumulated. It will have been the memories you have amassed.

Put your family first. Will some one else raise my child as well as I have when I am suddenly gone? My legacy will have been the creation of well adjusted and contributing members to our society. When my dad died, his career of science was simply discarded. It forever changed me. My legacy is people. People whose lives I have made a difference in through my profession. And the people who I live with.

Never take your health for granted. Having buried 2 colleagues this past year, living every day completely is essential. Take as good care of yourself as possible. My daughter's anorexia has also been life changing. Being a parent is tough. Being a parent who truly gives a shit is the hardest job I have ever had. But worth it. Watching her struggle is soul sucking. But I know she is determined to beat ED.

I love my life. It is simple. It is rich with friends and family. It is wholesome.

Campbell
02-10-20, 20:57
I just hope you have clarity and peace in this time, and understand many are standing at the precipice with you. While difficult, it’s a natural hurdle of life.

Mozart
02-10-20, 21:27
Thanks guys, good stuff.

Life is a roller coaster. There will always be Ups and Downs, until the end. (Often times within the same year!)

The trick is to realize when life is good, and to cherish it and be grateful. Too often I’ve failed to see how well things were going and continued to bitch about the trivial. Then later things get immeasurably worse and I long for those good times. So we need to take the time to be thankful and grateful for the good times.

Everyone’s healthy?
Bills are getting paid?
Relationships are strong?
Happy memories being made?

Then take a moment and smile, and reflect that this has been a good stretch. And when this stretch ends and you go through the ringer for a while, realize that this too shall pass. It’ll be good again soon.

SteyrAUG
02-11-20, 00:26
Put your heavy glass beer mugs in the freezer door and every beverage tastes amazing.

Life is too short to eat bad pizza.

A beautiful girl with no tattoos is something of a unicorn.

If you can, find 30 minutes a day to walk your dog or some similar activity where you simply enjoy the life you have. I have a Dairy Queen within walking distance of my house and I'm trying hard to not have that become my "zen moment of the day", but man I love DQ fudge.

I'm currently rereading all of the books I've amassed in the last 30 years. It's easier than trying to find new books that are interesting.

SteyrAUG
02-11-20, 00:27
Make sure, in no uncertain terms, that people who you care about know it and people who have helped you know your appreciation (in most cases these two categories overlap).

"Please" and "Thank you" don't cost you anything, use them freely!

Always gone with "Man, if you didn't help me that time I'd really have been screwed."

Arik
02-11-20, 08:44
Do you. Don't worry about what others are doing. Don't worry where everyone else is at.

Family comes first no matter the politics (internal or otherwise). Life long friends, a close second

Reach out to those you haven't seen in a long time. You never know when it's theirs, or your, last day!

Don't let work or current events dominate your life.

Life's a Hillary
02-11-20, 09:48
It doesn’t cost you anything to not be an asshole online. These days with so much of our interaction being shielded behind a screen people seem to just act more like pricks than they would face to face. Be the change and just don’t be an asshole. It’s free and you will live a much less stressful life verses getting into stupid e-fights that are never productive.

Two things that have been very helpful for me during hard times, journaling and keeping a gratitude list. For journaling just write, you can write to someone if you want or you can just write to no one and throw it away. There’s something very therapeutic about putting pen to paper and letting those pent up emotions flow. As men we bottle those things up inside as to not appear weak, well you can keep up your manly facade and get it all out too by just writing. As far as the gratitude list, I try to add something to mine every day, this makes me constantly look for things that I am grateful for and keeps me in a more positive mindset.

SteyrAUG
02-11-20, 16:32
It doesn’t cost you anything to not be an asshole online. These days with so much of our interaction being shielded behind a screen people seem to just act more like pricks than they would face to face. Be the change and just don’t be an asshole. It’s free and you will live a much less stressful life verses getting into stupid e-fights that are never productive.

Scoff, shows what you know low post count. Many people are jackwagons online because IRL sucks and they are losers. But if they can bully some low post counter online they actually feel redeemed and it's a great stress reliever for them. I'd explain in more detail but you'd probably never understand and one of the two men you call mom is probably going to tell you it's dinner time at any moment anyway.

:sarcastic:

Seriously, the problem is a little complex. First there is no inflection on the internet so when somebody is simply being brief and not using a lot of smileys and LOLs it can seem like they are being short, abrupt and rude.

There is also a problem of many online interactions are frustrating "we apologize that we haven't shipped your item and we discovered we don't even have it in stock but once we verify that we haven't shipped from our warehouse and confirm we don't have it in stock we will refund your credit card charge minus a 2% restock fee that you agreed to at time of the order." And sometimes we see the entire internet as one giant frustrating PITA and we unintentionally bring that frustration to place we shouldn't.

And finally there is the problem that the internet, like the world, is full of tards and until we learn differently we often assume that everyone else is a LARPing idiot with a full complement of airsoft rifles that they believe gives them "combat experience" and they once shot a real gun, a .22 Magnum PI, when they were a kid and lived next door to this Green Beret / Navy SEAL dude who taught them everything about firearms and combat even though it all sounds suspiciously familiar to the last Ghost Recon mission release.

Won't comment on the whole journal thing, wouldn't want to say anything unkind. :D