PDA

View Full Version : "The Outsider" on HBO

joedirt199
02-10-20, 22:05
Anyone else watching? Got the wife hooked on it and we are up to episode 6. Pretty well acted and written. Jason Batemen is doing a good job on this one telling a Steven King book.

Five_Point_Five_Six
02-11-20, 19:45
We're watching it. It's a good example of science fiction/horror/thriller that is just weird enough to be different and interesting without being goofy.

It kinda reminds me of the tv show Fringe that was on like a decade ago for some reason.

jmp45
02-11-20, 21:05
Thanks for the tip.. Excellent.

HCrum87hc
02-12-20, 12:58
We're watching it. It's a good example of science fiction/horror/thriller that is just weird enough to be different and interesting without being goofy.

It kinda reminds me of the tv show Fringe that was on like a decade ago for some reason.

That was a good show, outside of the last season. I wasn't a fan of that.

B Cart
02-12-20, 13:16
The Outsider was the first Steven King novel i read, and liked it. I've since read IT, and just started Salem's Lot.

I'm excited to see the HBO series The Outsider, as HBO usually does a great job with a good budget. Glad you guys are liking it so far; i'm going to start it tonight.

Kyohte
02-12-20, 13:51
I read the book and thought it was pretty bad. It has links to the Mr. Mercedes books, which were equally awful. I have often wondered if SK has ghost writers writing for him now since the quality of his work has degraded substantially since the end of the Dark Tower series. His latest work, The Institute, was slightly better than his other recent work, but was still terrible compared to his earlier work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life's a Hillary
02-12-20, 14:21
Seems kind of like a supernatural true detective, hopefully it doesn’t suffer from the typical Stephen King ending

joedirt199
02-12-20, 14:41
Don't confuse this with the terrible tv show "the outsiders" who were a group of hillbilly bikers on fourwheelers terrorizing a small town. That show did suck ass. I tried to read some old steven king stuff and just couldn't get into it. Maybe having someone else's perspective on it will help.

Five_Point_Five_Six
02-13-20, 08:14
That was a good show, outside of the last season. I wasn't a fan of that.

Yeah I remember it fell flat towards the end.

sundance435
02-20-20, 14:49
Seems kind of like a supernatural true detective, hopefully it doesn’t suffer from the typical Stephen King ending

That's what they billed it as, but it's not quite. The first season of "True Detective" was brilliant because it seemed supernatural but was basically non-fiction and the main characters were mysterious but relatable. There's just not enough depth or backstory to the characters in "The Outsider". I'm not really sure what they're trying to achieve, thematically. That said, I do like the show overall.

Life's a Hillary
02-20-20, 14:53
That's what they billed it as, but it's not quite. The first season of "True Detective" was brilliant because it seemed supernatural but was basically non-fiction and the main characters were mysterious but relatable. There's just not enough depth or backstory to the characters in "The Outsider". I'm not really sure what they're trying to achieve, thematically. That said, I do like the show overall.

Agreed 100%. I made that comment when I was pretty early on in the show. It has not really kept me as hooked as the first few episodes did but I still enjoy it. True Detective (S1) was one of the best things I have ever seen on TV.

fred
02-20-20, 14:56
Stephen King is some kind of genius, but like most geniuses he is crazy. I haven't read any of his stuff since "The Cell," which sucked. With HBO's talent and resources, even some of his crap, if well-executed, could be good. Thanks, I will check this one out next time we have HBO.

"The Stand" was the first book I ever read start to finish as a kid. Fantastic!

chef8489
02-20-20, 18:57
Just saw a trailer for it and working on getting them. Love Stephen King.

joedirt199
02-23-20, 22:39
2 episodes left. About time for the big showdown. Wife says Sam and Dean Winchester need to show up from Supernatural and teach them something about monster hunting.

joedirt199
03-08-20, 22:30
So how are they going to continue this series?

Life's a Hillary
03-09-20, 09:11
Kind of a lame ending but then again it was a Stephen King story

sundance435
03-09-20, 14:24
Kind of a lame ending but then again it was a Stephen King story

I had low expectations for the ending. They were mostly met, but not exceeded.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

I would've enjoyed it if they had teased out a bit more of the Q&A with "El Cuco". The last 10 minutes of the finale were completely superfluous. The ending, overall, was like Game of Thrones - huge build up and then trite little resolutions to some, but not nearly enough of the questons. It just felt like a show searching for a purpose and never really finding it.

joedirt199
03-09-20, 18:06
Did it say series finale or season finale? They made it out like there will be another season. If you went further into the credits, Holly has a seeing things episode and she appears to have a scratch or scar on her forarm. Atleast the copper went back to finish the job and not just call it good with a knife and stalactight.

sundance435
03-10-20, 08:07
Did it say series finale or season finale? They made it out like there will be another season. If you went further into the credits, Holly has a seeing things episode and she appears to have a scratch or scar on her forarm. Atleast the copper went back to finish the job and not just call it good with a knife and stalactight.

I'm not sure how the books play out, but they did the same thing with "True Detective". It was a standalone season and not a true "series finale", so it could go either way. This was a big hit for HBO, so there could easily be another season with Holly and a different supporting cast. I did take that "shrug" to indicate that maybe she is one of the "others", but obviously a good one.