PDA

View Full Version : S&W MP-15

Gentoo
11-20-08, 13:31
According to the chart, it does not have an H buffer.

My question is, is there a reason why?

Logically, there can't be a real cost difference between a carbine buffer and a H buffer. Pennies maybe. So if a H buffer is required, why would S&W purposely put a different buffer in there?

Is there something about the AR they make that requires a carbine buffer? Will swapping it out with a H buffer cause problems with feeding or extracting?

I'm asking because it seems like such an easy part to get "right" that there must be some reason why they chose not to include it.

mpress
11-21-08, 10:10
I've got a M&P15T and have wondered the same. Is there any real need to upgrade the carbine buffer to an H buffer? What parts would I need to swap out to mke the change to an H buffer? Just the spring or is there more involved?

Damascus
11-21-08, 11:19
To add an H-buffer, you don't need another spring, it's just a heavier buffer, with a tungsten internal weight added. You just pull the old buffer out of the spring and insert the new buffer, and you're done. All it does is slow down the action with the extra weight, and saves a little wear and tear on the rifle.
I own a M&P15T, and still am using the factory buffer. The only reason I can see for S&W to use a standard buffer is because it will ensure functioning with a wider range of ammo... if you get a rifle with too heavy a buffer, or too slow of an action, and shoot really light or weak ammo, the rifle will short-stroke, and won't have the power to fully push the BCG rearward enough to strip another round off the mag.
For $20, it's a good idea, IMO, to add one, I'm all about making my rifle last longer. I intend on getting one as soon as my budget allows.

Gentoo
11-21-08, 14:54
OK that makes sense now that I think about it!

From what I understand many LE agencies use .55gr ammo, which is why S&W went with a 1/9 twist. The notion they might have put in the carbine buffer out of fear of short stroking makes sense.

Thanks guys!

doc45
11-22-08, 12:43
Not intending to hijack but if I may ask 2 questions here --were there issues with a particular serial number range with the S&W ARs (more internet rumor perhaps)? Do these rifles accept the PMag?

I have an opportunity to pick up a lnib 811000, not sure how old it is. However if it won't function w/the Pmags or there are issues I'll pass.

Thanks.

ar-junkie
11-22-08, 13:45
Not intending to hijack but if I may ask 2 questions here --were there issues with a particular serial number range with the S&W ARs (more internet rumor perhaps)? Do these rifles accept the PMag?

I have an opportunity to pick up a lnib 811000, not sure how old it is. However if it won't function w/the Pmags or there are issues I'll pass.

Thanks.

It isn't rumor, I just don't know the specific serial numbers that have issues. I even called them once about this before buying my MP-15 T. They said that the first few made had issues with pmags, and other mags, but they quickly fixed the issue. Mine drops free and works perfectly and is serial #85xxxx. I have never had a flaw using pmags with mine and if you are concerned just bring a pmag in when you are looking at it to see if it drops free. S&W will also fix it if you have one that won't drop mags free.

Damascus
11-22-08, 15:50
I have a S&W M&P15T w/ S/N# 70000's, and Pmags fit it better than any other mags I've used. They drop free perfectly, and IMHO, this is the best AR style rifle I've ever held.
To the best of my knowledge, the only ones that had problems with Pmags were the ones that used Stag lowers, which had S/N's under 47000. After 47000, they had S&W built lowers, and after 68000, they switched from the "bolt-on" gas blocks to the preferred "pin-on" gas blocks like mine has.
That rifle that is available to you has all the fixes already done, you'll love it, it's one of the best carbines on the market today.... THE best carbine, period, if you're needing a 1/9" barrel.

theblackknight
11-22-08, 16:58
I have a S&W M&P15T w/ S/N# 70000's, and Pmags fit it better than any other mags I've used. They drop free perfectly, and IMHO, this is the best AR style rifle I've ever held.
To the best of my knowledge, the only ones that had problems with Pmags were the ones that used Stag lowers, which had S/N's under 47000. After 47000, they had S&W built lowers, and after 68000, they switched from the "bolt-on" gas blocks to the preferred "pin-on" gas blocks like mine has.
That rifle that is available to you has all the fixes already done, you'll love it, it's one of the best carbines on the market today.... THE best carbine, period, if you're needing a 1/9" barrel.

Soo my 473XX Stag was a Smith inhouse? Jeeze. gun gossip is crazy

Damascus
11-23-08, 12:25
I've heard both 47000 and 50000 for when S&W switched to their own lowers.. never knew which was correct tho. If you've got a 47xxx Stag then I suppose that it's the 50000+ that switched to S&W-in-house. Sorry if I misinformed anyone- working off of a spazzed memory.
Either way, back to the topic, if you shoot a lot of hot 5.56 rounds, or heavier rounds, and you have the money to spend, then go ahead and stick an H buffer in it - otherwise don't worry about it.

ar-junkie
11-23-08, 12:37
Either way, back to the topic, if you shoot a lot of hot 5.56 rounds, or heavier rounds, and you have the money to spend, then go ahead and stick an H buffer in it - otherwise don't worry about it.

Anyone know where I can get this "H Buffer" I have heard so much about? Seems I need to upgrade my MP-15 because that is all I shoot (hot 5.56 rounds). Does anyone have a link I could get that has the exact part I need because I have seen some but am unsure of what exactly to get. Thanks in advance for any replys to me.

Mark/MO
11-23-08, 13:07

Thanks.

My M&P 15 has a serial number in the 07XXX range and it handles Pmags without a hitch. I bought my first Pmag at a gunshow having convinced myself it probably would not fit. Wrong again.:)

Damascus
11-23-08, 13:32
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=L7CB2F&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dbuffer%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html
Here you go. An LMT Heavy buffer for $19. You don't need some exotic part, any carbine buffer will fit your rifle. Basically, there are 2 types of buffers, carbine buffers and rifle buffers, since you have a carbine with a collapsible stock, this is what you need. There's H (heavy) buffers, H2 and H3 buffers. The H2 and H3 buffers are even heavier, and you do not need these - the normal H buffer is plenty.

ar-junkie
11-23-08, 18:59
I will be ordering from them right away. How exactly can you tell what kind of buffer you have in your rifle anyways? This is far from the first time I have heard this but was wondering what exactly stands out between a regular one and a heavy or H one? Thanks for all the imput as this has been an issue on my mind too.

Boss Hogg
11-23-08, 19:43
I will be ordering from them right away. How exactly can you tell what kind of buffer you have in your rifle anyways? This is far from the first time I have heard this but was wondering what exactly stands out between a regular one and a heavy or H one? Thanks for all the imput as this has been an issue on my mind too.

The H buffer is usually stamped with an "H" on the base plate (facing inside of receiver when installed. IIRC a normal buffer weights 2.7 or 2.9 oz, while an H is 3.7.

SwatDawg15
11-27-08, 07:58
Ive been running an H-Buffer in my M&P15 (s/n# 0966*) for a good while. I have ran alot of different ammo threw it and havent had a hicup yet. I also added the BCM extractor/o-ring upgrade the same day.

It may just be in my head, but it seems the H-buffer smoothed the rifle out short-a-speak. It was a money well spent IMO.

Oh and it loves P-Mags ;)

C4IGrant
11-27-08, 09:04
According to the chart, it does not have an H buffer.

My question is, is there a reason why?

Logically, there can't be a real cost difference between a carbine buffer and a H buffer. Pennies maybe. So if a H buffer is required, why would S&W purposely put a different buffer in there?

Is there something about the AR they make that requires a carbine buffer? Will swapping it out with a H buffer cause problems with feeding or extracting?

I'm asking because it seems like such an easy part to get "right" that there must be some reason why they chose not to include it.

The reason is that H buffers are a lot more money than carbine buffers.

H buffers are NOT "required", but are a good idea.

Before you throw S&W under the bus for not using H buffers, only Noveske, CD and Colt use H buffers in their lowers (FYI).

C4

jtskier11
11-28-08, 21:10

Before you throw S&W under the bus for not using H buffers, only Noveske, CD and Colt use H buffers in their lowers (FYI).

C4

I dont have the H buffer in my Daly DM4S. Would it generally be a good idea to throw one in my gun? For $19 bucks and smoother action as some claim. Seems like a fairly good idea to me.

Gentoo
11-29-08, 01:31

C4

Not sure why you think I was throwing them under the bus. :confused:

I was simply wondering why didn't they put it in... The cost issue you mention (this is the first I read of it, I had figured that there was not much difference in cost - at least not to a company that can purchase them en masse) combined with the fear of short stroking on underpowered ammo explains it.

Personally, I like the S&W rifles. The buffer is a really a non issue to me. The barrel and twist rate would be more of something to give cause for pause.

C4IGrant
11-29-08, 08:11
I dont have the H buffer in my Daly DM4S. Would it generally be a good idea to throw one in my gun? For $19 bucks and smoother action as some claim. Seems like a fairly good idea to me.

You didn't buy the LE M4 version then (as these ones come with the H buffer).

I would go with either the H or H2 buffer.

C4

jtskier11
11-29-08, 10:15
You didn't buy the LE M4 version then (as these ones come with the H buffer).

I would go with either the H or H2 buffer.

C4

Im gonna end up doing that. Do you have them in stock? Now if I read the buffer threads in their entirety, all I need is the buffer correct?

C4IGrant
11-29-08, 12:31
Im gonna end up doing that. Do you have them in stock? Now if I read the buffer threads in their entirety, all I need is the buffer correct?

They are in stock.

C4

Damascus
11-30-08, 11:19
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=L7CB2F&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dbuffer%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html
Here you go. An LMT Heavy buffer for $19. You don't need some exotic part, any carbine buffer will fit your rifle. Basically, there are 2 types of buffers, carbine buffers and rifle buffers, since you have a carbine with a collapsible stock, this is what you need. There's H (heavy) buffers, H2 and H3 buffers. The H2 and H3 buffers are even heavier, and you do not need these - the normal H buffer is plenty.

Link again.