PDA

View Full Version : Do impeachment charges carry over from one Congress to a new one?

ABNAK
02-11-20, 09:08
Let's say the libtards try to impeach Trump again (there is already talk of it), hoping they win the Senate this November and in case they lose the House. If the impeachment wasn't heard until AFTER the election, is a new Congress legally bound to hear the case, or do the charges die with the old Congress?

Diamondback
02-11-20, 10:38
My understanding is any Unfinished Business dies when Second Session adjourns.

Hmmm, could Pelosi try to use an in-progress impeachment to refuse to adjourn and thus keep the gavel a while longer?

duece71
02-11-20, 11:26
It appears they will stop at nothing so I would not be shocked.

Diamondback
02-11-20, 11:35
It appears they will stop at nothing so I would not be shocked.

Tell me that Pelosi and the other Demofascists DON'T sound like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZwQvGvZ86k

markm
02-11-20, 13:41
I'm all for them doubling down on stupid. Alienate all the moderate voters possible.

Diamondback
02-11-20, 13:54
I'm all for them doubling down on stupid. Alienate all the moderate voters possible.

I'm all for encouraging them to keep doubling down... alienate even the Less Left, gaslight them to go so extreme that even Seattle and Portland say "WTF Already?!".

yoni
02-11-20, 14:48
They can move on impeaching the President tomorrow, with the same charges.

Unlike criminal charges which carry protection under double jeopardy, impeach the President has no protection.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-11-20, 14:52
I can't see them doing it before the election, you'd have to do it as a lame duck and try to punt it to the Senate.

BUT, say that they take the Senate- they can run the trial how they want, but they still wouldn't be able to remove him. AND would Schumer, having taken back the Senate, really want to take on a long hard slog trial against Trump- who would have just been re-elected- only to lose in a trial again.

But if they were successful in getting Trump removed- mere months after being elected- how do you think that would go over?

I don't know what level of stupid the Collectivists will go to. They seem to lash out in random directions with no strategic intent or goal.

glocktogo
02-11-20, 15:10
I can't see them doing it before the election, you'd have to do it as a lame duck and try to punt it to the Senate.

BUT, say that they take the Senate- they can run the trial how they want, but they still wouldn't be able to remove him. AND would Schumer, having taken back the Senate, really want to take on a long hard slog trial against Trump- who would have just been re-elected- only to lose in a trial again.

But if they were successful in getting Trump removed- mere months after being elected- how do you think that would go over?

I don't know what level of stupid the Collectivists will go to. They seem to lash out in random directions with no strategic intent or goal.

Nancy is licking her woulds and taking stock, for a week or two. After that she'll have Schiff and Nadler calling up Bolton and every other traitor in the WH sphere to dig harder. She's not going to stop now.

ABNAK
02-11-20, 16:21
They can move on impeaching the President tomorrow, with the same charges.

Unlike criminal charges which carry protection under double jeopardy, impeach the President has no protection.

Got that, but what I'm referring to is say this current Congress impeaches Trump again before the election. It never gets heard by the Senate. Is a new Senate in a new Congress legally bound to pursue it?

Think about it: the Dems control the House right now. They could decide on new (bullshit) impeachment charges, but wait too long for it to be dealt with by the Senate before the election, or even if they impeached him as a lame-duck Congress between November and January. The Dems lose the House but win the Senate and are seated in January 2021 as a new Congress. Are the "charges" brought by a previous Congress still valid?

yoni
02-11-20, 16:36
ABNAK

I got to be honest I don't know, I am not sure anyone knows because I don't ever remember reading or learning about such a situation. I think our forefathers never could dream we would be so screwed up as a country.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-11-20, 16:38
Nancy is licking her woulds and taking stock, for a week or two. After that she'll have Schiff and Nadler calling up Bolton and every other traitor in the WH sphere to dig harder. She's not going to stop now.

That will just be politics for the election. Trying to frame the GOP as corrupt. Bolton will probably not be the killer witness they want, but they will use the term 'Bombshell' anyways.

Got that, but what I'm referring to is say this current Congress impeaches Trump again before the election. It never gets heard by the Senate. Is a new Senate in a new Congress legally bound to pursue it?

Think about it: the Dems control the House right now. They could decide on new (bullshit) impeachment charges, but wait too long for it to be dealt with by the Senate before the election, or even if they impeached him as a lame-duck Congress between November and January. The Dems lose the House but win the Senate and are seated in January 2021 as a new Congress. Are the "charges" brought by a previous Congress still valid?

And who would appoint the house managers to do the persecution? The new or old house? ;)

ABNAK
02-11-20, 16:58
ABNAK

I got to be honest I don't know, I am not sure anyone knows because I don't ever remember reading or learning about such a situation. I think our forefathers never could dream we would be so screwed up as a country.

No doubt!

This question I pose would no doubt be headed for SCOTUS if it were to happen.

The Lame-Duck thing got me thinking. After the election the Dems will know whether they won or lost the Presidency, House, and Senate. Let's say Trump wins, the Dems lose the House but win the Senate. I can see those bastards hurrying-up new impeachment charges while they still control the House for a couple months then having it sent to their Dem cronies in the new Senate come January.

chadbag
02-11-20, 17:24
The Dems have to lose the House and win the Senate first. While there are more (R) senators up for reelection this year, I have a hard time seeing the (D) LOSE the House but yet gain enough in the Senate to take that over. Based on voting tendencies, at least once site I've seen shows that the best the (D) can hope for is 50-50 in the Senate. If Trump storms to reelection, he will probably have strong coat tails.