PDA

View Full Version : What length do you keep your collapsible stocks set at?

ABNAK
02-11-20, 18:13
Caveat: I measure my "LOP" from the rear of the charging handle to the back end of the buttstock.

I like 9.5" even though I am 6'1" and can tolerate a longer one the 9.5" measurement is perfect for me. I set all my collapsible stocks to this setting, using a white-out pen to make a mark on the buffer tube (usually in the little round hole found on the top of nearly all stocks) so I can quickly go to it from fully collapsed.

Only variance is a Colt 4-position buffer tube, then I have to choose between 9.75"-ish or 9". I opt for the 9.75"-ish setting with my Colts.

kirkland
02-11-20, 18:23
On a 4 position stock, usually fully collapsed or 1 notch out works well for me most of the time. Sometimes fully extended or one notch back from fully extended if I'm shooting with an old school bladed rifle stance or shooting prone.

BoringGuy45
02-11-20, 18:30
On a BCM A5 stock, I always did 3 notches out from fully collapsed. I’m 6’0”.

Warp
02-11-20, 18:35
Generally, position 2. I changed out my Colt 4 position tubes (4 positions, really?) because fully closed is way too short and the next one out on that is just a tad longer than I want.

Vltor 7 position is where it's at. I might put it on the 3rd position if I'm shooting a magnified optic prone or something but #2 generally still. I'm 6'

kerplode
02-11-20, 18:45
I generally keep mine on the first notch out from fully collapsed.

02-11-20, 18:55
I keep Colts at the next to longest with a waffle stock and and on the 1st hole out from collapsed with a CTR.

ABNAK
02-11-20, 19:00
I keep Colts at the next to longest with a waffle stock and and on the 1st hole out from collapsed with a CTR.

This illustrates why I use a tape measure and go from the rear of the charging handle to the back end of the stock: different stocks have different OAL's and where the locking mechanism is in relation to the OAL may vary.

"One hole out" or "Two holes out" can easily be different between a Colt waffle/CTR/B5 etc.

Diamondback
02-11-20, 19:03
Full collapse, I'm a sawed-off stubdude at 5'6".

MegademiC
02-11-20, 19:58
1 or 2 clicks in from fully extended.
I can run them fine at full extension, but like to keep it shorter for the wife.
I really dont notice a difference between any of these lengths, though I havent timed it.
I prefer it more extended when going prone, but again, just a preference.

CPM
02-11-20, 20:01
3 clicks out from the receiver, regardless of stock type or extension. I’m 6’4”.

grizzlyblake
02-11-20, 20:42
I'm 5'6". I run my Sionics 4 position buffer with Magpul SL at two clicks out from fully collapsed, or two clicks in from fully extended, same thing.

One click out from fully collapsed feels a little better and more compact but two clicks out gives me a more solid feel that snaps to a cheek weld better like a shotgun and the sights fall exactly where they're supposed to with consistent repeatability.

opngrnd
02-11-20, 20:53
Generally all the way out with carbine RE or one hole from all the way out with A5 RE. I've never done NTTCH, and with optics it doesn't matter to me. I shoot enough fixed stock that I must just be used to having it that far out. I'm 5'10"/70"/178cm/Me High.

ABNAK
02-11-20, 21:08
Yeah, I don't do NTCH either. Too "scrunched up" feeling.

That said, I insist on BUIS on all my flattops. An ACOG, even seated in the last available slot in front of the rear BUIS, makes me feel "scrunched up" to get proper eye relief. That 9.5" I measure leaves me needing to crane my neck forward just a tad to get that eye relief.

dpb1776
02-11-20, 23:26
I ran an A2 in the Army and shoot a lot of precision rifle. I keep my UBR 3 clicks in from full extension I’m 5’10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockapede
02-12-20, 05:10
Fully extended without armor, one notch in with.

gaijin
02-12-20, 06:35
Depends on eyebox of optic I'm running if applicable, otherwise I've always shot "nose damned near touching CH" as was instructed looong ago.

bamashooter
02-12-20, 06:42
Mostly fully-extended.

Arik
02-12-20, 06:46
Colt OEM fully extended.

jsbhike
02-12-20, 07:11
Whatever combo of notch + brand of stock is closest to A1 length. Paint marker the tube at that point and leave it except when needed for tree stand hunting with heavy clothes and move it in as needed.

Circle_10
02-12-20, 07:13
All my collapsible stock ARs have the old style CAR stocks on them currently, and I generally leave them at one notch in from fully extended.
I also use A1 length fixed stocks on a few guns, and like that length as well, but while a carbine stock fully extended is closer in length to an A1, For some reason I don’t like a fully extended telestock, although I think it may have more to do with where my cheek ends up relative to a fully extended stock and receiver extension than the actual length in that case.

The_War_Wagon
02-12-20, 07:59
3 clicks out from the receiver, regardless of stock type or extension. I’m 6’4”.

THIS. I'm 6' 0", but "tactically-padded." :cool:

Alpha-17
02-12-20, 08:29
On my SCARs, I use them with the #3 showing, or on the ACR-style stock, with three empty slots. If I'm shooting the 17S prone for a while, I tend to extend its stock out to 4 for a slightly more comfortable LOP.

Sry0fcr
02-12-20, 08:58
It depends on the stock but, whatever's long enough to allow me to stabilize the rifle in my elbow joint one handed.

1986s4
02-12-20, 09:27
I'm 6'5" and slim/lean build so all the way out for me. Which really feels handy to me since my arms are rather long.

SteveL
02-12-20, 09:57
I have seven position A5 receiver extensions on all my rifles and run all my stocks in the #5 position. I'm 5'10" for reference. If I'm shooting prone I'll move the stock out to the #6 position. None of the Instructors I've taken classes from ever advocated running the stock collapsed or NTCH. I even saw Pat Mac correct a couple students' troubles by simply extending their stocks a few notches.

ETA: Several people have mentioned adjusting their LOP, at least in part, around their optic's eye relief. I set my LOP first, then position my optic for proper eye relief second. Measuring from the rear of the CH to the rear of the stock as the OP specified, the LOP for me works out to about 10 3/4". That way when I bring the rifle up to fire everything is where it needs to be. With the exception of ACOGs, which I don't particularly care for, there is no reason to set your LOP based on your optic's eye relief. If you put your optic on first in a random position with no rhyme or reason, and then adjust your LOP around the optic you're doing it ass-backward IMO because you end up adjusting yourself to the rifle rather than adjusting the rifle to you.

RMike89
02-12-20, 10:31
If I run the stock collapsed or even an A1 , my nose will be halfway down the upper receiver. All the way out I don't have to struggle for NTCH

GTF425
02-12-20, 11:00
Depends on the rifle, but whatever LOP allows me to achieve natural point of aim with the particular rifle. Some variables like eye relief, handguard length, and stock style effect this.

I'm not really set in stone one way or another, but generally find myself with the stock nearly fully extended.

ST911
02-12-20, 11:23
"One hole out" or "Two holes out" can easily be different between a Colt waffle/CTR/B5 etc.

Kind of like calling for optic adjustments by clicks rather than by mil/moa.

HCrum87hc
02-12-20, 13:26
I've never measured it, but generally, I run fully extended or one position in. I'm 6'2" with long limbs, so that usually works best for me.

robbins290
02-12-20, 15:55
Always extended. Been carrying a full size rifle for so long. I am used to the long length of pull. I may extend the stock a notch or 2 when the temps are 20 or below.

ST911
02-12-20, 17:01
Always extended. Been carrying a full size rifle for so long. I am used to the long length of pull. I may extend the stock a notch or 2 when the temps are 20 or below.

Not following...

seb5
02-12-20, 17:19
5-9 34" sleeves I prefer fully collapsed with armor, 1 notch out without armor, and fully extended for precision carbines.

titsonritz
02-12-20, 17:26
With my forearm 90 degrees to my upper arm I want my stock about 1/2" short of my bicep, which for me on a Colt 4 position is one click out, on a BCM A5 is about 3 clicks out.

robbins290
02-12-20, 17:28
St. When its cold. I have to compensate for the thickness of winter wear. Some stuff is pretty thick. Specially when it is 20 below.

ABNAK
02-12-20, 18:15
Kind of like calling for optic adjustments by clicks rather than by mil/moa.

Yes. Just like clicks on a scope, it can vary from one brand to another. Mil/MOA is a constant, like measuring the LOP.

nick84
02-12-20, 18:17
You guys keep your adjustable stocks in one position? Lol. I move mine all the time...that's why I like the adjustable ones. I vary them depending on optic, clothing and kit, or position/support. For reference though: I'm 5'8", and my 'patrol' setting on an issued M4 w/RCO was always one notch in from farthest out.

ABNAK
02-12-20, 18:22
You guys keep your adjustable stocks in one position? Lol. I move mine all the time...that's why I like the adjustable ones. I vary them depending on optic, clothing and kit, or position/support. For reference though: I'm 5'8", and my 'patrol' setting on an issued M4 w/RCO was always one notch in from farthest out.

Oh sure, there can be circumstances where variance is a good idea (like you mentioned). I just like all my carbines set a certain way and then if I have to I can go in or out a notch as the situation dictates. The witness mark I make allows me at a glance to return to that setting.

nick84
02-12-20, 18:24
Oh sure, there can be circumstances where variance is a good idea (like you mentioned). I just like all my carbines set a certain way and then if I have to I can go in or out a notch as the situation dictates. The witness mark I make allows me at a glance to return to that setting.

For the record, I fully support any methods and practices that people want to use, as long as they work for them and don't create other hassles. So you do you...I just didn't imagine that people worked to keep them in one spot as much as they apparently do.

ABNAK
02-12-20, 20:15
For the record, I fully support any methods and practices that people want to use, as long as they work for them and don't create other hassles. So you do you...I just didn't imagine that people worked to keep them in one spot as much as they apparently do.

Consistency I guess. I have a couple (too many) AR carbines and I like them pre-set "LOP"-wise. Like mentioned previously, a click or two either way from baseline depending on clothing/optic/position and you're GTG.

Korgs130
02-12-20, 20:37
With my forearm 90 degrees to my upper arm I want my stock about 1/2" short of my bicep, which for me on a Colt 4 position is one click out, on a BCM A5 is about 3 clicks out.

I size mine in a similar fashion, but with the butt just touching my bicep. I’ve got 7 position A5 for on my 2 main guns, so for me that’s 5 clicks out from fully collapsed (2 in from fully extended), indexed with a paint mark on the receiver extension.

blade_68
02-12-20, 21:49
My work rifle one notch out, vest, plates etc. Fixed sights extended nose to charging handle, others depending optics installed. Over 6ft old n fat. 😒

mcnabb100
02-13-20, 21:31
All my collapsible stock ARs have the old style CAR stocks on them currently, and I generally leave them at one notch in from fully extended.
I also use A1 length fixed stocks on a few guns, and like that length as well, but while a carbine stock fully extended is closer in length to an A1, For some reason I don’t like a fully extended telestock, although I think it may have more to do with where my cheek ends up relative to a fully extended stock and receiver extension than the actual length in that case.
1 click out because ACOG. Felt weird at first because I'm 6'2", but im used to it now. I even run my stuff with red dots the same way.

308sako
02-13-20, 22:37
The comfort zone I find for me is 1 notch out or none. Running suppressed SBR's and ACOGs. I feel that the shorter configuration handles better in a majority of situations and that one's choice of optic or sight type highly relent to this thread.

rvanno
02-15-20, 08:07
None or two notches out depending on what I’m doing. Further out when prone.

RHINOWSO
02-15-20, 08:11
1-2 out from collapsed, depending on if it's standard RE or an A5. I just mark them with a paint pen and forget it.

Jeepman1320
02-15-20, 11:52
Mine depend on the buffer tube, if it has a folder, and what kind of stock or brace is on it. I run all my AR's nose to charging handle. I then mark the tube on the individual weapon so I know exactly where it needs to be without fiddling with it.

hotrodder636
02-15-20, 17:07
9” for me with BCM gunfighter stock and LAW folding adapter (which equates to 2 clicks on my 6 position tube).

drh2687
02-16-20, 19:26
I will say I've noticed that over the years I've grown to prefer shorter and shorter LOPs. The old dogma of "you'll shoot better with the all the way out" was tough to shake I guess, and for the longest time I ran only one notch in.

Lately, I seem to be more the one-notch-from-collapsed type. If running LAW folder, I may leave it all the way in. I measured the other day for a project: from the face of the trigger I like around 300-310mm, right around one foot.