PDA

View Full Version : Benchmade 950.

olds442tyguy
11-20-08, 16:44
Anyone have experience with this knife? I fondled one the other day and loved it but I've always been weary of dropping over $100 for a knife I'll absolutely beat the piss out of.

http://www.1sks.com/media/benchmade/2008/bm-950.jpg

Failure2Stop
11-20-08, 17:01
I buy quality knives because I fully intend on beating the hell out of them.

olds442tyguy
11-20-08, 22:42
I've seen "quality" knives fall apart doing tasks the biggest hunk of Chinese junk had no trouble doing before. I trust track record and construction more than name and price tag because of that.

ToddG
11-20-08, 22:54
There is a difference between a "quality" knife and a quality knife.

I'm fairly confident I could cut my way into a bank vault with my ZT 0302 if I was patient enough. :cool: However, it's much more useful as a tool than a weapon. All the sharp points on the frame and scale make it slow to get out of the pocket (the incredibly tight clip hurts here, too, but that is something I could fix myself if I wanted to) and the opening system -- while fast -- doesn't lend itself to a very good fighting grip. The "thumb studs" are absolutely useless for opening the knife, they're far too small. So it's actually sort of slow getting it out of your pocket, open, and into a strong grip.

Once it's open, though, it's a monster.

Failure2Stop
11-21-08, 05:50
Knife Testing (http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/reviews.html)

This is a pretty good reference as far as knife performance. While the author is a bit on the "controversial" side in some circles, I am unaware of any competing reference from any other "impartial" source.

rob_s
11-21-08, 06:01
I have an older version of that knife, and like the ergonomics. I've never abused it since I've had no cause to, but it's cut through a decent amount of chilled water pipe insulation and cut the heads off a lot of extension cords that I find without the ground pin.

bkb0000
11-21-08, 07:44
I've had two 9050AFOs that have been my favoritest of pocket knives. I beat the dogshit out of the first one, and it took it, before i lost it. it's replacement is holding up just as well.

The black line have lifetime warranties. I seem to recall they're the only ones actually made BY benchmade, so that would add up.

the only folding knives that have ever held up with me at the handle have been $150-200+. i usually get two or three years out of a knife before i lose it, and even knowing i WILL lose the knife, it's worth the money to have something that wont break on me.

its worth it, mang... here it is for $142 http://www.888knivesrus.com/product/BM950SBK/BENCHMADE_950SBK_OSBORNE_RIFT_BLACK.html

olds442tyguy
11-21-08, 15:19
There is a difference between a "quality" knife and a quality knife.

I'm fairly confident I could cut my way into a bank vault with my ZT 0302 if I was patient enough. :cool: However, it's much more useful as a tool than a weapon. All the sharp points on the frame and scale make it slow to get out of the pocket (the incredibly tight clip hurts here, too, but that is something I could fix myself if I wanted to) and the opening system -- while fast -- doesn't lend itself to a very good fighting grip. The "thumb studs" are absolutely useless for opening the knife, they're far too small. So it's actually sort of slow getting it out of your pocket, open, and into a strong grip.

Once it's open, though, it's a monster.

I'm not a fan of the size or ergonomics though. That said, if you wanted me to cut a car in two with a folder, it would be the knife I reach for. :D

It is my experience the tips on the 302's are a bit weak for a heavy duty folder though. But on the other hand, it's also my experience that the ZT's are by far the best Onion product, with the others being nothing short of pocket queens. ZT's are awesome.

Thanks for the opinions so far guys. :cool:

lwoper
11-22-08, 21:24
I just bought one a few months ago and love it. the quality is great. First knife i have ever owned over 100 bucks and well woth it. I bought the non serrated blade seems easier to keep sharp than the serrated one since i have no way to sharpen a serrated blade. i also like the handle a lot seems to really stick well in your hand just my .02