PDA

View Full Version : Locust Swarms Raid Africa, Threatening Millions of Lives

mack7.62
02-13-20, 14:02
On top of everything else going on in the world now there is this.

Like a Page Out of the Bible: Locust Swarms 'as Big as Major Cities' Raid Africa, Threatening Millions of Lives

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2020/february/locust-swarms-as-big-as-major-cities-invade-africa-threatening-crops-millions-of-lives

KANCHOMBA, Zambia- One of the world's oldest and most destructive insects is wreaking havoc in Africa.

Hundreds of millions of locusts are eating their way through the continent, putting crops, food security and millions of lives at risk.

It's almost like a page out of the Bible's Old Testament book of Exodus. Authorities are calling it the worst outbreak in decades as billions of desert locusts swarm across a large part of East Africa.

jsbhike
02-13-20, 14:43
They need to start handing out BB guns to preteen boys there.

SomeOtherGuy
02-13-20, 14:47
"It's just grasshoppers bro."

Two plagues down, two to go?

SteyrAUG
02-13-20, 16:03
Eat the grasshoppers?

Seriously nothing good happens in Africa. That's why nearly every human species left as soon as they were able.

markm
02-13-20, 16:19
It's climate change's fault.

Vic79
02-13-20, 17:11
No offense Mack, but you ever post anything that’s positive or doesn’t seem like it’s the end of days?

Grand58742
02-13-20, 17:37
Eat the grasshoppers?

Seriously nothing good happens in Africa. That's why nearly every human species left as soon as they were able.

I thought Western Imperialism was responsible for all the bad things that happened in Africa?

kerplode
02-13-20, 17:53
I thought Western Imperialism was responsible for all the bad things that happened in Africa?

Well, Western Imperialism caused climate change, and this is clearly climate change's fault, so yeah...It was totally Western Imperialism.

SteyrAUG
02-13-20, 17:54
No offense Mack, but you ever post anything that’s positive or doesn’t seem like it’s the end of days?

If you get your news from Christian Broadcasting Network it's going to follow a theme.

On a positive note there is exciting news regarding Bat Boy.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--FQqxYxFJ--/924363341812465834.jpg

mack7.62
02-13-20, 18:02

I think I was the first to post about the Vindman brothers getting fired from the WH, that was a feel good story. ;)

But seriously the coronavirus had me spooked from day 1, the Chinese reaction was way overboard for what they were saying about it. I hope I am wrong but this could go sideways in a hurry.

dpb1776
02-13-20, 21:49
This whole virus thing is a total sham, there hiding the fact it’s the beginning of the zombie apocalypse so load magazines boys and sharpen up those Bowie knives cause good times are coming..

SkiDevil
02-14-20, 03:40
This whole virus thing is a total sham, there hiding the fact it’s the beginning of the zombie apocalypse so load magazines boys and sharpen up those Bowie knives cause good times are coming..

Silly I know, but after hearing and seeing the news coverage in China the first thing that came to mind for me was the movie with Will Smith 'I am Legend.' Where he fights the Kreppen virus that turns regular people into monsters when a doctor tries to cure cancer and the vaccine treatment backfires. Messing with Mother Nature never ends well, but hey it's only Science fiction.

GH41
02-14-20, 07:10
Population of Africa... 1.3 billion and it doubles every 26 years. The locust won't put a dent in that. They don't tell you how many were starving to death before the locust showed up.

Alpha-17
02-14-20, 08:02
Eat the grasshoppers?

When I was deployed to Djibouti, we used to bastardize the Will Smith quote from After Earth "Everything on this planet has evolved to kill humans." In this case, "Everything on this continent has evolved to kill humans." Sure felt like that when thorns ripped through your boots, we got briefed on every parasite known to man or monkey, and even the camels wanted to fight you.

As for the locusts and the end of days, sure feels like it. Wars, rumors of wars? Check. Plagues? Check. Earthquakes in random places? Check. All we need now is some water to blood action and we've got Bingo!

GH41
02-14-20, 09:55
When I was deployed to Djibouti, we used to bastardize the Will Smith quote from After Earth "Everything on this planet has evolved to kill humans." In this case, "Everything on this continent has evolved to kill humans." Sure felt like that when thorns ripped through your boots, we got briefed on every parasite known to man or monkey, and even the camels wanted to fight you.

As for the locusts and the end of days, sure feels like it. Wars, rumors of wars? Check. Plagues? Check. Earthquakes in random places? Check. All we need now is some water to blood action and we've got Bingo!

Don't forget about ebola and aids. 69% of the world's people living with aids are in Africa.

soulezoo
02-14-20, 12:33

I thought the worst were those damned kids (who could quite remarkably speak passing English) at the souk begging for shekels.

Grand58742
02-14-20, 13:13
With the exception of North Africa (oil and NG) and South Africa (their laundry list of valuable minerals) the whole continent just screams to be written off.

Sorry, but I'm not sure we should be spending capital (fiscal or political) there trying to sustain a dying system.

gaijin
02-14-20, 14:20
Sounds a lot like Biblical Karma.

dpb1776
02-14-20, 14:58
Silly I know, but after hearing and seeing the news coverage in China the first thing that came to mind for me was the movie with Will Smith 'I am Legend.' Where he fights the Kreppen virus that turns regular people into monsters when a doctor tries to cure cancer and the vaccine treatment backfires. Messing with Mother Nature never ends well, but hey it's only Science fiction.

Yeah playing God never works out for us mortals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smuckatelli
02-14-20, 15:11
Eat the grasshoppers?

Actually...in the Central African Republic, they do eat them. The hardest part about driving the Mustang at night during the locust season was avoiding hitting kids. The lights would attract the locust and the kids would jump out to catch them. The one locust season that I was there for....it wasn't biblical proportions like what is going on now.

Warg
02-14-20, 15:52
On top of everything else going on in the world now there is this.

Like a Page Out of the Bible: Locust Swarms 'as Big as Major Cities' Raid Africa, Threatening Millions of Lives

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2020/february/locust-swarms-as-big-as-major-cities-invade-africa-threatening-crops-millions-of-lives

KANCHOMBA, Zambia- One of the world's oldest and most destructive insects is wreaking havoc in Africa.

Hundreds of millions of locusts are eating their way through the continent, putting crops, food security and millions of lives at risk.

It's almost like a page out of the Bible's Old Testament book of Exodus. Authorities are calling it the worst outbreak in decades as billions of desert locusts swarm across a large part of East Africa.

Nah, that's not a biblical swarm. This was and right here on the good ol' US of A: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_locust

SteyrAUG
02-14-20, 17:54

So vaccines for polio, diphtheria and probably 1,000 or other eradicated threats were a bad thing?

Yes, unintended consequences are a real consideration but at the opposite end of the spectrum are idiots who won't vaccinate their kids because "gods will" considerations or they think it causes autism.

mack7.62
02-17-20, 18:26
So this is sounding worse than ever even for Africa.

https://thewashingtonstandard.com/locust-armies-are-devouring-entire-farms-in-kenya-in-as-little-as-30-seconds/

"Locust armies numbering in the billions are absolutely ravaging large portions of eastern Africa and vast stretches of the Middle East. We are being told that these locust armies “are unprecedented in size and scope”, which means that we have never seen anything like this before. And as you will see below, the UN continues to warn that the number of locusts could get “500 times bigger” by June."

"National Geographic has never been known to sensationalize news stories, but even they are saying that this plague is “like something out of the Book of Exodus”…

East Africa is in the midst of a crisis that sounds like something out of the Book of Exodus: A plague of locusts is spreading across the region, threatening the food supply of tens of millions. City-sized swarms of the dreaded pests are wreaking havoc as they descend on crops and pasturelands, devouring everything in a matter of hours. The scale of the locust outbreak, which now affects seven East African countries, is like nothing in recent memory."

"A medium-size swarm of locusts can eat the same amount of food as the entire population of Kenya, Cressman said, and “that swarm in one day can eat the same amount of food as everybody here in the tri-state area, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York. So not taking action in time – you can see the consequences.”

"The numbers involved, the UN has warned, are “unprecedented”. If they are not contained, their appetites will trigger famine, destroy livelihoods for local farmers and undermine the food security of a group of countries with a combined population of nearly 2 billion."

LoboTBL
02-17-20, 18:32
Corona virus, plagues, locust swarms....it's almost like the planet is trying to protect itself from overpopulation.

jpmuscle
02-17-20, 18:42
Corona virus, plagues, locust swarms....it's almost like the planet is trying to protect itself from overpopulation.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200218/3b54079ad5aacb86e572d86b51f9e32b.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flenna
02-17-20, 19:25

And wars and rumors of wars. Now where have we heard all this before...

OH58D
02-17-20, 20:30
Here in the American West, we are in a drought cycle which began in the 1990's. But it's nothing new - we go thru 100 year drought-wet cycles which have been proven with tree ring dating, as well as detailed records kept by the Priests who came with the Spanish Conquest in the 16th Century.

The dry weather weakens the Pinon Pines, then they get finished off by the Bark Beetle, which thins out the weaker trees. It's a natural way of thinning out vegetation in dry periods. California's problem has been overpopulation in areas where you shouldn't be building houses, and a ban on brush and tree clearing. Lightning caused wildfires actually was nature's way of cleaning the land - now man has altered the natural process.

The Climate Change fanatics point to drought as just another example of what their agenda pushes, with no understanding that climate and weather, wet and dry has always been happening. Those of us close to the land, who are stewards of the land know we can't over-graze the land without ruining it, that's why we rotate our herd off and on different ranges. In this area it's @ 35 acres to one head of cattle. There have been grasshopper plagues in the west, and will eat the grass if crops are not available.

SteyrAUG
02-18-20, 00:47

Or life on Earth is a challenge no matter what, 5 major extinction events later...life goes on. Most of us think the Cretaceous-Paleogene event was the BIG ONE, I mean it wiped out dinosaurs that had domain over the earth for millions of years.

But it was nothing compared to The Permian-Triassic extinction event were something like 95% of all marine life ended and while there wasn't a lot of terrestrial life the few vertebrates suffered about 70% extinctions. Over 80 percent of all the known genera disappeared after this event. In today’s equivalent, it would be like wiping out all life on Earth, minus the insects and other invertebrates. That includes plants and fungi!

OH58D
02-18-20, 07:33
Or life on Earth is a challenge no matter what, 5 major extinction events later...life goes on. Most of us think the Cretaceous-Paleogene event was the BIG ONE, I mean it wiped out dinosaurs that had domain over the earth for millions of years.

But it was nothing compared to The Permian-Triassic extinction event were something like 95% of all marine life ended and while there wasn't a lot of terrestrial life the few vertebrates suffered about 70% extinctions. Over 80 percent of all the known genera disappeared after this event. In today’s equivalent, it would be like wiping out all life on Earth, minus the insects and other invertebrates. That includes plants and fungi!
There's always been the natural process of extinctions and plagues. In northern Europe and Scandinavia, there was still a massive Bubonic plague outbreak in Denmark and Sweden between 1709 and 1713, when it had already ended with most of the major nearby countries.

Now we have a new factor in potential man made bio weapons getting loose in the general population and creating a pandemic. Humans will kill themselves off despite what happens in nature.

LoboTBL
02-18-20, 14:12
There's always been the natural process of extinctions and plagues. In northern Europe and Scandinavia, there was still a massive Bubonic plague outbreak in Denmark and Sweden between 1709 and 1713, when it had already ended with most of the major nearby countries.

Now we have a new factor in potential man made bio weapons getting loose in the general population and creating a pandemic. Humans will kill themselves off despite what happens in nature.

Spot on with emphasis noted. We are so certain of our intelligence and superiority that we will ignore evidence to the contrary and the collective knowledge acquired over millennia.

Bloomberg's recent statement that he could teach anyone to be a farmer, having no knowledge of what it actually entails, is indicative of this mindset and also one of the most ignorant and arrogant things I've ever heard a politician utter and I've been paying attention for a few decades now.

SteyrAUG
02-18-20, 17:55

Our days our numbered no matter what. Earth will only support animal life for another 500 million years or so and if in that time we haven't found a habitable alternative and the means to get there, we are done. And even if we find some "new Earth" that planet will have a finite period where it will support life.

And it's not a game we can play forever no matter how good out tech becomes. Then there is the problem of us, will we still be the same species in 100 million years let alone 500 million. The more tech dependent we become (and that is our tendency) the less sustainable we become when subjected to our actual environment.

And sure, we might fall victim to our new wonder weapons, we came close a few times in the 20th century of going into a full scale nuclear exchange. Cuban Missile crisis and Able Archer exercises probably would not have led to extinction, but it would have been really, really bad.

We also need to remember viruses are a life form, a life form that is ever evolving and like other life forms has a DNA mandate to reproduce and succeed. People tend to view them as some kind of random threat like a land mine. We don't really need to have a bio weapon escape the lab, there is plenty of bad shit already out in the wild that continues to adapt and evolve. We didn't invent AIDS, but it happened anyway and if it happened in the 17th century we might not have survived it.

And even if we do nothing wrong, which generally goes against human nature, while we are busy improving our bio habitat, we could take a gamma ray burst from some previously unknown source and still get checked out. Nature is an inconsiderate bastard.