PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Voters - horrible anti gun bill to heard Monday Morning

tb-av
02-14-20, 18:02
HB961

Link to send email to committee members to oppose.

https://americansuppressorassociation.com/virginia-suppressor-hearing-monday-senate-judiciary-committee/?mc_cid=e656ccdb63&mc_eid=fb01ef5221 scroll down to "take action now" for form letter auto send.

Summary
Prohibiting sale, transport, etc., of assault firearms, certain firearm magazines, silencers, and trigger activators; penalties. Expands the definition of "assault firearm" and prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, or transporting an assault firearm. A violation is a Class 6 felony. The bill prohibits a dealer from selling, renting, trading, or transferring from his inventory an assault firearm to any person. The bill makes it a Class 6 felony to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport silencers, and trigger activators, all defined in the bill. The bill makes it a Class 6 felony to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, purchase, or transport a large-capacity firearm magazine, as defined in the bill, and a Class 1 misdemeanor to possess such large-capacity firearm magazine. Any person who legally owns a large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator on July 1, 2020, may retain possession until January 1, 2021. During that time, such person shall (i) render the large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator inoperable; (ii) remove the large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator from the Commonwealth; (iii) transfer the large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator to a person outside the Commonwealth who is not prohibited from possessing it; or (iv) surrender the large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator to a state or local law-enforcement agency.

Similar link from NRA but this page is broken for me.... https://act.nraila.org/actions/campaigns/7835

_Stormin_
02-17-20, 07:01
Good thing I don't own any guns...

Can't wait to get the hell out of this place.

MisterHelix
02-17-20, 07:50
HB961 “passed by for the year”. 10-5 vote in senate committee.

(Edit: to avoid confusion, this means that the bill isn’t going to be heard on the senate floor but may be brought up again in next year’s 2021 legislative session.)

yoni
02-17-20, 07:59
So it was effectively killed in committee?

MisterHelix
02-17-20, 08:04
So it was effectively killed in committee?

Yeah. Not killed as dead as I’d prefer, but it’s dead for this year at least.

Breadman
02-17-20, 08:24
I am in Virginia and have been following this closely. This may be the best result we could have asked for... by passing over for a year, it means the immediate threat is gone, but it forces us to remain engaged, involved, and aware. In other words, we are in pissed off and paying attention mode for longer. Meanwhile elections get closer and closer. We may have a shot at turning our state red over the next couple of election cycles.

recon
02-17-20, 10:20
Outstanding! Still have to watch these anti gun legislators though. They will come back with it! Come the next election they need to vote out these traitors!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/virginia-assault-weapons-ban-fails-in-legislature

Alex V
02-17-20, 10:30
They already said they will take it up again in a year. They are giving the state crime commission to study "the issue". If there is no change in the legislature until then, I am not sure which way it will go when they bring it back up next year.

Slater
02-17-20, 10:33
Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if some legislators were simply afraid to put their names on this.

LoboTBL
02-17-20, 10:37
Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if some legislators were simply afraid to put their names on this.

They should be!

mack7.62
02-17-20, 10:37
I see this as all about this being a Presidential election year, don't want to stir up the opposition to vote against your guy. I do believe Doomberg was heckled by 2nd amendment types over the weekend.

recon
02-17-20, 11:29
They need to make sure that they vote out these traitors come the next election!

hotrodder636
02-17-20, 11:38
Dead for a year give you time to come up with a strategy to kill it for good next time it does come up.

LoboTBL
02-17-20, 11:43
Dead for a year give you time to come up with a strategy to kill it for good next time it does come up.

The only way to kill it for good is to remove for good those who would introduce or sponsor it.

chuckman
02-17-20, 11:45
The ONLY thing from preventing this is to elect people you know will not vote for it.

This wasn't meant to be their shot across the bow, but defeat of that bill made it so. It's up to the citizens of Virginia now. They ain't gonna stop.

duece71
02-17-20, 13:07
This is good news.....for now.

Voodoochild
02-17-20, 15:24
VA Republican party needs to pull it head out of it's 6. They were as much to blame for the loss during elections as outside forces. Gerrymandering the district's and the USSC not taking the case sure didn't help either.

Uni-Vibe
02-18-20, 00:00
One thing that did pass was local option for cities to ban licensed carry in parks, etc. That's bad because parks are now disarmed victim zones. They tried that in TX but the Legislature squashed it.

Tx_Aggie
02-18-20, 13:25
One thing that did pass was local option for cities to ban licensed carry in parks, etc. That's bad because parks are now disarmed victim zones. They tried that in TX but the Legislature squashed it.

Agreed that the end of state preemption over localities is bad for CCW. It still has to pass the house, but that is pretty much guaranteed.

The silver lining is that the vast majority of localities have declared themselves 2A Sanctuaries or something similar. The next step will be for folks to insist these same localities pass actual ordinances stating they will not exercise the power granted to them by the new state law.

That should keep gun owners engaged politically for a while, and may be a way to negate the impact of the law in most of the state, at least for a while.