PDA

View Full Version : Geissele Rail and Barrel Nut Tightness?

Giggles
02-15-20, 06:45
Which of the Geissele rails has a tight lock up with the barrel nut before it is mounted in place? I'm asking because I have heard that with some Geissele rails and barrel nuts the tolerances are loose. Also which rails should I stay away from if I'm worried about the tightness. I would prefer answers from personal experience.

rvanno
02-15-20, 08:03
I’m not sure it matters how tight the rail is as you slide it over the barrel nut BEFORE you tighten it down, but I have a MK 14 that has been bank vault tight for the last couple of years. I’ve been very happy with it.

labeef
02-15-20, 08:17
I own 7 G handguards, and I have never had a problem with tightness of the barrel nut.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TexasAggie2005
02-15-20, 08:23
I have had 4 Geissele handguards; Mk8, 2x Mk14 & Mk16. All were very tight fit. Geissele has said before (TOS I believe) that they hand pick barrel nuts to match a handguard to ensure a tight fit.

uffdaphil
02-15-20, 11:11
My three MK 4s all have tight fit.

gunnerblue
02-15-20, 15:14
My MK’s 1,2,two 4’s and 8 all fit tightly in the barrel nut.

noonesshowmonkey
02-15-20, 15:22
Every time I have had to assemble a G rail, the fit was so tight that I had to use a nylon mallet to set the rail.

TommyG
02-15-20, 18:40
Every time I have had to assemble a G rail, the fit was so tight that I had to use a nylon mallet to set the rail.

Yup. Grease, sometimes heat and sometimes a little tapping after the other two. I have not run across one that was loose.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-15-20, 18:41
My MK16 was super tight.

vandal5
02-17-20, 05:11
I will echo the above. I have a 9.5" MK8, I had to push it on pretty forcibly. I had put a light coat of grease on the barrel nut and along the inside of the rail.

It still was quite tight after removing and installing a few times. I mist have installed and removed it 4 or so times. Rebuilt the upper with new barrel and between mock up, assembly, test firing, and then finally using locktite and pinning the gas block it had been on and off a bunch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Stickman
02-17-20, 12:30
I'm asking because I have heard that with some Geissele rails and barrel nuts the tolerances are loose.

Who did you heard this from? There are companies that pay people to trash talk and post lies about both persons and companies they don't like.

vandal5
02-17-20, 14:17
Who did you heard this from? There are companies that pay people to trash talk and post lies about both persons and companies they don't like.As if fanboys didn't talk enough trash, now we have them on the books too?

Stickman
02-17-20, 14:19
As if fanboys didn't talk enough trash, now we have them on the books too?

Very, very much so.

Hkbeltfed
02-18-20, 13:06
I think their good fit is as simple as this, “Slide the handguard onto the barrel nut. Be very careful when doing this as the clearance between the OD of the barrel nut and ID of the handguard is precisely machined to about 0.001” clearance.”

scottryan
02-18-20, 15:17
The rail should slide on with some light taps from a rubber mallet or piece of wood.

I do not put any grease on any outer barrel nut surface that uses a slip over rail as this grease lowers the friction between the ID of the rail and barrel nut, which causes the rail to squirm, causing zero shift issues.

SeriousStudent
02-18-20, 18:25
Which of the Geissele rails has a tight lock up with the barrel nut before it is mounted in place? I'm asking because I have heard that with some Geissele rails and barrel nuts the tolerances are loose. Also which rails should I stay away from if I'm worried about the tightness. I would prefer answers from personal experience.

What's your source of this information?

Personal experience: I own three Geissele rails, and have probably mounted another 7 or 8 for other people. None have ever been loose.

Giggles
02-18-20, 20:04
I read what I believe is something that someone posted in a large post on this site, regarding Geissele having tolerance issues with certain rail models.

SeriousStudent
02-18-20, 21:39
I'd love to see a link.

gunnerblue
02-19-20, 09:36
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?216561-Geissele-Rail-Failures-Mega-Thread

I assumed that the OP was referencing this thread, which seemed to mostly concern the MK16.

Giggles
02-19-20, 14:05
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?216561-Geissele-Rail-Failures-Mega-Thread/page3

On page three and four comments are made about barrel nuts.

26 Inf
02-19-20, 16:31
Not responsive to the thread title.

SeriousStudent
02-19-20, 17:51
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?216561-Geissele-Rail-Failures-Mega-Thread/page3

On page three and four comments are made about barrel nuts.

Excellent, thanks for the links, I appreciate you taking the time to dig them out. Please take the rest of this post as an explanation, not any sort of attack, sarcasm, personal snootiness, or general asshattery. It's definitely not meant to be that.

What I see there are two different posters in a locked thread. One has a link to some European blogger who frankly has no real qualifications, which he admits:

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/about/

And that guy is referencing BCM rails in his blog, NOT Geissele.

The other poster doesn't like Geissele, but does like UTG optic mounts. That makes me scratch my head. Somebody doesn't like American precision-machined products, but likes imported Chinese crap made by slave labor...... We really need a head-scratching smiley. He reports a damaged rail after he installed accessories on it. That is the purpose of a rail, no doubt. I am curious if he contacted the maker of the rail and offered to send it in for examination. I sure would have.

And that thread should have been locked long before Mark locked it, that's our fault as mods. Mea culpa.

I'm all for a full and honest discussion - that's why this board exists. But I'm also for a careful examination of facts. It's only one of the reasons we press people on "Did you contact the vendor?"

Bill Geissele or his wife have never given me a dime. I've paid the price charged for everything I got for him, no free stuff. The overwhelming number of folks with direct personal experience in this and other threads say the rails work fine. That does sound like a recommendation.

Again, thanks for the links, I appreciate your help with this.