PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifer for closet storage?

Wichard20
11-20-08, 19:55
Going to be storing some uppers on a shelf in my closet. Closet is in a bedroom that does not have a bathroom/bath and that is not in the basement and as far as I know not a damp area. I like in Northern Virginia and I would not consider us a humid area. I make sure to oil everything up but was wondering if getting something to help dehumifier would be a good additional layer of protection. I was looking at getting one of those eva-dry units which is basically a housed desiccant with a built in heater (once the crystals change color, you plug it in and it dries the crystals) for the closet. Should I get something like this or should I be ok with nothing? When dealing with an open area like a closet unlike a safe, can a desiccant actually attract more moisture into the area?

Parabellum9x19mm
11-20-08, 19:58
(nevermind)

CooperM
11-20-08, 20:02
They are aluminum, they will not rust, but if you store other items, go to place where they sell safes and buy a safe de humidifier http://www.safeaccessories.com/goldenrod-gunsaver-dehumidifier-12-p-35.html

It might help.

Mark

Wichard20
11-20-08, 20:08
They are aluminum, they will not rust, but if you store other items, go to place where they sell safes and buy a safe de humidifier http://www.safeaccessories.com/goldenrod-gunsaver-dehumidifier-12-p-35.html

It might help.

Mark

i should mention they are complete uppers, a golden rod would work in a closet?

sandpacker21
11-20-08, 20:15
I know what will save you money and time...... Simply get one of those Copper Lined Gun or rilfe cases.. The weapon will not rust while inside.............. I cant remember the maker but Midway USA has them in stock.......

T3550N
11-20-08, 20:19
Parabellum maybe you can answer my question regarding these units.

You put them in your closet/gun safe. They absorb the moisture. When the indicator turns pink you take it out and plug it into a wall socket. Doesn't that just re-release the moisture back into the air?

CooperM
11-20-08, 20:23
Thats a good question, You would have to seal the door and watch the rod,, they get hot, I have one in my safe.

What part of VA are you in?

Mark

Wichard20
11-20-08, 20:37
Thats a good question, You would have to seal the door and watch the rod,, they get hot, I have one in my safe.

What part of VA are you in?

Mark

I live in fairfax, va

Parabellum9x19mm
11-20-08, 20:57
Doesn't that just re-release the moisture back into the air?

yeah, it does. but you probably recharge them in a different place.

when i recharge mine i do it with a wall socket directly over a hot air register. it recharges it a lot faster with the extra heat and air circulation.

i find these things keep my gun-room and my closet (where i have a pistol safe) pretty dry. i sometimes use one in my trunk too. they appear to work as advertised. for me, they are much handier than normal desiccant which you recharge in an oven.

Wichard20
11-20-08, 21:21
thanks for the info guys, i decided to pick up bore-stores and one of those eva-dry units to put in the closet....i am hoping i was right about the moisture levels and the eva-dry rarely needs to be charged

edit - i also decided to picked up a Hygrometer. found one that looks decent off a cigar website for like 30 bucks......figure it be a good tool to check humidity and see if I need a dehumidfier (if i dont i keep the tool in there and keep tabs on it incase the environment changes, and then see if the dehumidifer is actually working