PDA

View Full Version : Hawkepak MA54 A.K.A. Rifle Bug Out Bag

Yojimbo
06-17-06, 20:53
I've been looking for a good shoulder bag to use as a rapid deployment "Go Bag" and I happened to run across the Hawkepak MA54 or Rifle Bug Out Bag on www.warriortalk.com.

One of the things that I really like about "Go Bag" type magazine carriers is how simple they are and how fast they can be deployed. BTW, I also have a Hellcat MKII chest carrier but the more I use it the more I realize that it's really optimized for training and planned fights.

Unless you are in the military or are in some type of SWAT unit you will very rarely if ever have the luxury to plan a fight and prepare yourself accordingly before it begins. In the civilian world we are generally in the reactive mode and need to be able to respond as quickly as possible during those SHTF moments.

With a "Go Bag" all it takes is a second or two to throw the bag over your shoulder and you're good to go! You can basically grab your carbine/rifle in one hand and the "Go Bag" in the other hand and put it on while you're running to respond to a threat. I don't know about anyone else but I can't get my chest carrier on with one hand while carrying my carbine in my other hand and moving quickly or running. The "Go Bag" is also lower profile than a vest and seems to adopt really well to the types of defensive situations a civilian will most likely find themselves in.

The main things I wanted to carry in my "Go Bag" are spare magazines for my primary and secondary weapons, a blowout kit and a few other pieces of gear like a water bottle, an extra flashlight and multitool. I also wanted to be able to use the bag as a dump pouch for magazines.

The Rifle B.O.B. meets all my requirements and more. I was extremely impressed with the quality of the this bag.

The bag is made in the USA using 1000 Denier Cordura Nylon. The stiching is #69 bonded nylon thread sewn at about 6 stitches per inch. The stitching is well done and reinforced at all the stress points.

The back of the main compartment is lined with velcro and the inside front has three rows of elastic stiched on PAL style.

There is an external flap that covers the rifle mag pouches secures down with a fastex buckle.

The padded shoulder strap comes with PAL style stiched loops and connects to the bag via fastex buckles.

The main compartment measures 10"x10"x5".

It has the following external pouches.

1. Three dual rifle magazine pouches with adjustable cover flap. Six USGI mags fit perfectly in them. The flaps are attached with velcro and are removable and adjustable for different length mags or mags with Ranger Plate Mag-Puls. Regular Mag-Puls can fit but it's a very tight fit and I don't recommend it.
2. Three pistol magazine pouches also with adjustable covers. The flaps are also attached with velcro and are removable and adjustable for differ length mags.
3. A water bottle pouch large enough to use with 32oz Nalgene bottle.

It also has the following internal pouches.

1. One Large pouch behind the rifle mag pouches with a velcro closure.
2. Two deep, open top, side pouches.
3. Two pouches on the internal divder, one on each side.
4. A removable velcro attached pistol holster

On the back of the bag there is a a carry handle, belt loops and a leg strap. After doing some shooting drills in differnt positions and on the move I highly recommend also using the belt loops if you want use the leg strap. If the leg strap is used by itself when you bend down or crouch the bag can slide down your leg and the leg strap can get hung up when you stand up. When both the belt loops and leg strap are used it makes the bag very stable and secure and it feels more like a hip pouch instead. The bag also works really well just slung over your shoulder and I didn't have any issues moving to different shooting positions or shooting on the move.

Reloads with retention from the Rifle B.O.B. were slower than from a vest or belt pouch but they were easy to do and more than adequate for the purpose this bag was made for.

Here's a link to a vid with Gabe Suarez showing a rifle reload from the bag.

http://www.suarezinternational.com/AKReload.AVI

I really like this bag and I think it's an excellent piece of gear. I would highly recommend it to anyone who might need a low profile "Go Bag" to use with their carbine or rifle.

Here's are some pics of my Coyote Brown Rifle B.O.B..

The front of the bag with the main flap closed.
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090003_Large_.JPG

The main flap opened revealing the rifle mag pouches.
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090008_Large_.JPG

The back of the bag showing the carry handle, belt loops and leg strap.
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090006_Large_.JPG

A pic of the internal of bag showing the different pockets and pouches.
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090013_Large_.JPG

The water bottle pouch.
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090014_Large_.JPG

The rifle mag pouches.
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090018_Large_.JPG

The pistol mag pouches.
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090024_Large_.JPG

The velcro attached pistol holster that I won't be using because I prefer to keep the pistol on my belt.
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090025_Large_.JPG
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090027_Large_.JPG

Loaded up with mags and a water bottle.
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090032_Large_.JPG
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090031_Large_.JPG

Loaded up with the main flap closed. The bottom veiw also shows the drain holes.
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090037_Large_.JPG

Good to go!
http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P6090040_Large_.JPG

PossumKop
06-18-06, 01:47
That, my friend, is one sweet set up.

militarymoron
06-18-06, 09:14
great pics and review, yojimbo - thanks for taking the time.

C4IGrant
06-18-06, 09:47
Excellent review my friend!

C4

Aubrey
06-18-06, 11:52
Yojimbo,
The bag appears to be very well made and for a reasonable price; which begs the question: Where is it made (i.e., what country)?

Yojimbo
06-18-06, 12:51
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the review.

QUOTE=Aubrey]Yojimbo,
The bag appears to be very well made and for a reasonable price; which begs the question: Where is it made (i.e., what country)?[/QUOTE]

When I talked to Hawkepak they told me it was made in the USA.:D

Don Robison
06-28-07, 06:24
I've been using the bag as my low profile vehicle bag since Oct. This is the one that Gabe and Cheryl sent me before I deployed in Oct. It was their prototype bag in blue. It's worked great. The only complaint I've had is the rectangular metal rings used to join the fastex buckle to the bag. I've asked them to see if they can have them changed to round rings or sew the buckle directly to the bag. The rectangles twist under a load and bunch the material up. Not a big deal, but a part that not needed IMHO.

rob_s
06-28-07, 06:30
pretty cool sack. Doubly cool in blue. The only change I'd like to see is kydex-lined single AR mag pouches and do away with the flaps. The large flap covers them already and I would think that a kydex lining would hold them in just fine in conjunction with large flap.

ashooter
06-28-07, 07:19
pretty cool sack. Doubly cool in blue. The only change I'd like to see is kydex-lined single AR mag pouches and do away with the flaps. The large flap covers them already and I would think that a kydex lining would hold them in just fine in conjunction with large flap.

I just bought one of these bags... The mag pouches are TIGHT and the flaps are removable, so they work fine without kydex. I've used mine with one AK mag per pocket and the mags don't slide out quite as easily as I'd like, but it works. M4 mags one per pocket work great... I haven't tried to cram two M4 mags per pocket.

Two things I don't like about the bag:

1) The shoulder pad is not sewn to the shoulder strap, so when throwing the bag over your shoulder on the run, the strap tends to twist inside the pad so everything ends up in an awkward wad around your neck/shoulder. I sewed the pad to the strap on each end and in the middle and like it much better that way.

2) I run 1 mag in each pouch, a BOK stuffed in the rear section of the main compartment, and leave the front section open for use as a dump pouch. When I do that, the front part of the bag collapses so that the main flap slides around toward the front and totally exposes one mag pouch (the rearmost one). Not that big a deal - I just left the velcro flap on/in that mag pouch, which gives me the front two mag pouches open-top covered only by the bags main flap.

That said, overall I REALLY like this thing as a grab-n-go bag, "active shooter bag", or whatever you want to call it. I think it's a much more realistic piece of kit for the avg civilian or even patrol cop than the latest greatest chest rig or armor setup.

rob_s
06-28-07, 07:24
Thanks for the update ashooter.

Where does one order one of these?

Don Robison
06-28-07, 07:31
Ashooter,
I almost forgot about the shoulder pad. I didn't care for it either, so I replaced it with a shoulder pad from the carrying strap of my discreet rifle case. I then took some velcro and put the pile side on the strap and the hook side on the inside of the shoulder pad. It works well. I also removed the leg tie down and instead loop a carabiner on my belt to hook the carry handle onto. It keeps the bag from swinging wildly and is less noticeable than the leg tie down.

Rob S you have a pm. I wasn't sure if it was ok to post a link.

ashooter
06-28-07, 08:21
Ashooter,
... I also removed the leg tie down and instead loop a carabiner on my belt to hook the carry handle onto. It keeps the bag from swinging wildly and is less noticeable than the leg tie down...

That's a good idea with the carabiner. I got rid of all the straps and buckles and crap on the back of mine first thing. Been training with it as a true grab-n-go bag, but if I decide to use it in a carbine class, I might try that carabiner trick. It's not as user friendly as a chest rig or a "war belt", but it's more likely something that you could actually USE if the SHTF.

rob_s, you can get these at onesourcetactical.com

rob_s
06-28-07, 09:02
re: the collapsing pouch when kept empty to use as a drop, could it be held open with a home-made kydex liner? I'm ordering up some kydex sheets to use for other projects so I should have some extra.

rob_s
06-28-07, 09:04
Thanks for the links guys, I think I'll order one in blue today.

I have an Eagle patrol bandoleer that I thought would serve the same purpose but this bag really seems like a better solution for me. The patrol bandoleer just seemed to come up short in several ways. I do think that the PB may work as a training setup or match setup to use with the same basic muscle memory as this bag.

Bulldog1967
06-28-07, 09:32
I have the exact same bag in black for my AK kit. Works really well and is a great deal for the price.

eggroll
06-28-07, 10:36
FWIW

I have sewn down a 'few' of these shoulder pads to mitigate that strap rolling issue. I have also made a couple of drop in replacement straps too.

Based on what I have read, the shoulder strap issue, and the oddly shaped cover flap are the two main complaints of this bag. Otherwise its not a bad deal for its purpose.

EGG :D

TimW
06-28-07, 12:06
I have an Eagle patrol bandoleer that I thought would serve the same purpose but this bag really seems like a better solution for me. The patrol bandoleer just seemed to come up short in several ways. I do think that the PB may work as a training setup or match setup to use with the same basic muscle memory as this bag.

Considering how completely different the patrol bandoleer is from a bag, I am curious as to how you thought it might serve the same purpose? I am not trying to be an ass, but I am curious about this, since they are so different in design and apparent purpose.

eggroll
06-28-07, 14:50
Tim

everyone got their own contexts of what serves their purposes well.

I too liked the idea of the patrol bando, but thought hey, wouldnt it be better if....

Snake RAH
06-28-07, 15:35
I'm guessing the leg strap isn't long enough to go around the waist. Is that true?

I found that when using a big bag like this (M17/M40 series promask), it's easier to run with when it is either higher up, or if the shoulder straps are placed under a waist belt, so it doesn't flop around on me. Putting the leg strap or a belt around the waist would keep the bag from binding on the leg when changing positions.

ashooter
06-28-07, 20:43
I'm guessing the leg strap isn't long enough to go around the waist. Is that true?

I found that when using a big bag like this (M17/M40 series promask), it's easier to run with when it is either higher up, or if the shoulder straps are placed under a waist belt, so it doesn't flop around on me. Putting the leg strap or a belt around the waist would keep the bag from binding on the leg when changing positions.

I don't think the leg strap would be long enough unless you're really skinny.

I've only "trained" with it once. Did maybe 10 mag changes total from it, and only ran with it a couple of short sprints. With the shoulder strap adjusted so the magazines are about belt height, it didn't seem to flop around too much. But again, I've not used it extensively yet.

When I bought it, I was looking for something that I could throw in the truck with my rifle and then grab it in one hand, the rifle in one hand, and go. It seems to fill that niche pretty well. If I want something that I have to put on, strap on, buckle up, etc, I think I'd rather have a chest rig or a plate carrier... This thing can be grabbed with one hand and swung over your head on the run in about 2 seconds. A plate carrier can be thrown on almost as fast, but it's not as compact or as low profile riding around in the back seat.

Snake RAH
06-28-07, 21:50
I think it is a good bag, and a lot of other fellows did at the AK class I went to in Houston in May. Of course, most of the guys who ran the bag with the leg strap ditched the strap after while, since we were shooting and moving from different positions all the time.

rob_s
07-05-07, 18:24
I just got my blue one today. Looks good. Attaching the leg strap and walking around the kitchen elicited great guffaws from the girlfriend and her mother. :eek:

ET:
I have heard tell of a nalgene bottle that is of the proper size to fit in the pouch and which also contains a high quality water filter. Anyone have any insight into this?

JYogi
12-30-07, 21:55
WOW I like the looks of this bag!
I am going to order one for sure, This looks like it would work great
alone of with some of the smaller backpacks if you need more space.

I think this will go in the back of my truck as part of my get home kit.

Rob
Did you ever find out which bottle it was you were talking about??

A62Rambler
01-23-08, 09:50
I bought one of these several months back because of this review. For those asking about using the leg strap as a waistbelt. No, unless your name is twiggy, then maybe. It does have two velcro straps on the back attached with fastex buckles that can be used to attach to your pistol belt. I really like this bag but I've found that I can put more weight into it than I want slung over one shoulder. :eek: I bought this since my medical discharge has made me low speed and high drag. I don't see myself needing a chest rig anymore. :D

rob_s
01-23-08, 09:57
Good bump!

I have found the bag to be useless for me. I found that 3 AK mags and 2 1911 mags were more than uncomfortable in under an hour. Adding more weight would only make it moreso.

If your "grab and go" means grabbing it out of the car to stow in a house or something, or vice versa, then it may be of use to some.

sparrow
01-23-08, 11:59
Hey necro thread redux. I must say that this bag did not work for me either, I was most unhappy with its construction, it also did not hold it's shape very well. As Rob has indicated it was also very uncomfortable to carry. Since this thread came out I have tried many bags including the County Comm BOB (which I really like), the Blackhawk Battle Bag but the one that fit my needs the best was the Tac Tailor Active shooter bag. The bag is very well made and fits well in any of the vehicles I may use at work and sits unobtrusively should I be office bound. In it I keep the essentials. Two spare mags for my work gun, flex cuffs, knife, light, gloves and a blowout kit. So far it is the one that has been the most user friendly for my needs as a working stiff. I can post pics in another thread so not to jack this one. Like I said my needs are totally different from those of an armed citizen, contractor or Oakley clad Ninja type.

DamnYank!
02-02-08, 17:45
Good bump!

I have found the bag to be useless for me. I found that 3 AK mags and 2 1911 mags were more than uncomfortable in under an hour. Adding more weight would only make it moreso.

If your "grab and go" means grabbing it out of the car to stow in a house or something, or vice versa, then it may be of use to some.

rob, if you want to get rid of your bag please shoot me a message.

thanks!

Forest
02-04-08, 13:46
Rob & Sparrow thanks for your input. I was thinking about one of these bags now I'll look for another product along the same lines.

They have a mini-mag cache that seems to be a smaller/lighter version - enough room to hold 4 AR mags, 2 Glock mags, and a Gerber multitool.

Yojimbo
02-07-08, 10:05
Just a quick update on my original post.

When I did this review there were not as many choices in the larger "Go Bags". Most of the larger bags have the magazine pouches on the outside of the main compartment which does lead the bag to collapse, especially if the interior compartment is not loaded with something that will hold it open. I also feel the best way to run these bags is with minimal gear and weight, leaving the main compartment almost empty which makes the collapsing issue more pronounced.

After spending a lot time with this bag I think the newer bags like the TT Active Shooter and the Sneaky Bag are a better designs due to having the mag pouches inside the main compartment. This should keep the bag from collapsing and make it easier to access the mags and use the bag as dump pouch.

I will probably be picking up one of the Sneaky bags to see how it works for me.

As I mentioned in the orignal post these types of bags are no substitute for properly setup first or second line gear. These bags just give you another option that's quick to use in SHTF situations where you don't want to or can't use your first or second line gear.

Seems like the world of gear and guns is basically a never ending search for things that work better for the individual. Keep on trying new things and keep what works for you and dump the rest...;)

Lympago
02-15-08, 22:33
It's interesting to see this thread as I've had a Maxpedition Fatboy set up for the purpose of a bugout/quick grab, magazine and supply bag for a few years now.

My regular size Fatboy fits 6 AR mags and 2 pistol mags in the center pouch with the additional pouches for Leatherman, cell, Powerbars, flashlight, maps, compass, etc or 6 M14 mags in the main pouch and the 2 pistol mags with a few other small things in the outside zipper pouch, besides the other outside pouches for your other supplies.

I agree it's not going to replace a good vest, LBE or chest rig for the guy going specifically going into and setting up ops, but for civilian needs as a quick grab, bugout, mag attache there excellent and what I'll have set up from now on for these purposes to go with my BOB pack and pistol rig.

I'm a lefty so I've got a bugout set up of my M9 in holster on my leftside belt with the pistol mags in a nylon 2 mag belt pouch in the Fatboy with the rifle mags on my rightside at high hip/waist level so the back belt strap can be looped around the BOB waist strap. The pistol balances out some of the Fatboy's weight and the shoulder pad is comfortable enough for long walks to me if placed right, with the Fatboy placement on my hip. I've worn it for hours out in the woods with miles of walking no problem. You just need to get use to it being there and learn to adjust and place it right.

The Jumbo's are larger so I'm sure they hold more, but I like the regulars enough and there size is good to me.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=4

zippygaloo
12-26-08, 19:34
delete

Yojimbo
12-27-08, 00:05
This link doesn't work. Is there an updated link?

I just checked Gabe's online store and this vid is still linked on the Hawkepak MA54 page. He might a moved some things around and broke the link. I'll let him know about it...

rob_s
12-27-08, 06:22
I was all set to finally order one of Suarez's "Sneaky Bags" but when I went to the site the only "small" they offer now has a third pocket on the outside that I don't want. The model I wanted was the which doesn't let you add it to your cart, and the only one now is the [url=http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1199]MSB-DP-MP (https://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1200MSB-DP[/url).

Anyone have a source for the non-med pouch version?