PDA

View Full Version : NSR mounting woes

Sendit_Hit
02-22-20, 21:43
I am trying to mount an 11" NSR handguard. The NSR crowfoot style wrench I ordered directly from Noveske just keeps slipping around the nut and will not get a bite on it. I am using a torque wrench set to proper ft lbs, and all I'm getting is slipping and metal shavings. It looks like one "leg" of the NSR wrench is straight, while the other comes off at an angle. Is this by design or is mine out of spec?

I don't want to keep going and round anything out, but I've had to sell some gear and wait weeks to get this done, pretty bummed out I can't make it happen. Has anyone else had issues with their NSR wrench?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Stickman
02-22-20, 23:29
If the wrench doesn't fit the barrel nut, is it possible that it is not the correct wrench? It would be helpful if you posted a picture of the wrench on the barrel nut so we can see how it is slipping.

junkpile
02-23-20, 07:17
Pull out an inside caliper or inside mic and measure it. Not to knock Noveske, but that design isn't going to be very strong. Crow's foot wrenches are inherently weak due to being open ended (same deal as any open ended wrench), having square corners inside the wrench body make it increasingly weak.

Take a couple pictures. There's a good chance it's bent or mis-manufactured.

MisterHelix
02-23-20, 07:25
I am trying to mount an 11" NSR handguard. The NSR crowfoot style wrench I ordered directly from Noveske just keeps slipping around the nut and will not get a bite on it. I am using a torque wrench set to proper ft lbs, and all I'm getting is slipping and metal shavings. It looks like one "leg" of the NSR wrench is straight, while the other comes off at an angle. Is this by design or is mine out of spec?

I don't want to keep going and round anything out, but I've had to sell some gear and wait weeks to get this done, pretty bummed out I can't make it happen. Has anyone else had issues with their NSR wrench?

My Noveske branded crows foot wrench has parallel “legs”, and has not slipped at all in a half dozen installations. It’s quite a few years old.

I’d be on the phone / email with Noveske asking for a replacement.

DaBigBR
02-23-20, 07:37
Subjectively, how tight is the barrel nut on a scale from not to pretty? I'm curious how accurate the torque wrench is.

sig1473
02-23-20, 12:09
Noveske has 2 different types of Crowfoot wrenches(N4&N6). N4 is 1 1/16" while the N6 is 1 1/4". I have 2xNSR rails and never had a problem with the wrench slipping on me.

Stickman
02-23-20, 14:21

Any updates? The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. Most people know how a wrench either fits something or it doesn't.

Get that pic posted up so we can help you out.

Sendit_Hit
02-24-20, 09:37
Any updates? The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. Most people know how a wrench either fits something or it doesn't.

Get that pic posted up so we can help you out.

Sorry for the delay, work has been crazy. I'll get a pic tonight. With more research and reading the replies here, I really think the NSR wrench came out of spec or bent on my first torque attempt. It is very clearly not symmetrical; one side is straight, the other has a 15-22⁰ angle.

Sendit_Hit
02-24-20, 09:39
Subjectively, how tight is the barrel nut on a scale from not to pretty? I'm curious how accurate the torque wrench is.

The torque wrench was borrowed.. I doubt its accuracy as well. The amount of force I put on it to get a click at 40lbs seemed well past that.

I am not new to ARs but fairly new to upper assembly.. this is the second barrel nut/handguard install I've done. So definitely still a rookie and learning.