PDA

View Full Version : Ford vs Ferrari (Review)

WillBrink
02-24-20, 09:10
Been a long time since there was a quality racing movie, and Ford vs Ferrari is a quality old school racing movie. Better yet, it's based on a true story, although the movie takes some liberties to up the dramatic aspects of the story. Honestly, I'm surprised it took so long to make a movie based on this famous rivalry. The visuals and race scenes are outstanding, and the reason the race scenes feel and look so real is because they are, it's not CGI and you can tell. While I'd wish less artistic liberty was taken with the story, the essential aspects of the story are accurate. The casting was solid, and surprisingly, Matt Damon does a solid job of it as Carroll Shelby. A-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3h9Z89U9ZA

rero360
02-24-20, 11:04
I agree, the wife and I rented it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it, will be buying it in 4K soon. The last scene between Shelby and the kid, had my allergies acting up.

HCrum87hc
02-24-20, 12:18
Great movie. The wife and I rented it last weekend. She was indifferent going into it, but thoroughly enjoyed it. We weren't aware of the real life story, so the ending caught us off guard. I really wanted to watch this with my dad, and old car buff, but getting him to sit down for a movie is about impossible.

WillBrink
02-24-20, 12:19
I agree, the wife and I rented it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it, will be buying it in 4K soon. The last scene between Shelby and the kid, had my allergies acting up.

SPOILER ALERTS:

And unlike a lot of it, that was accurate. He died just a few months after the race in what was apparently a freak training accident. The way it happened at the end was as unexpected as it was in real life, so props to them the way they did it.

kirkland
02-24-20, 22:19
I just watched it last night on a plane. Loved the movie. But it should be titled Carrol Shelby and Ken Miles vs Ford execs.

jimmyheadgear
02-25-20, 06:15
Watch Shelby American on Netflix instead. Much better.

P2Vaircrewman
02-25-20, 09:43
I am old enough to remember the events as they happened. Being friends with the owner of the local Ford dealer he invited me to drive a 289 Shelby Cobra demonstrator that was making the rounds of Ford dealers in1964.

Det-Sog
02-25-20, 12:19
Great movie. Saw it the other night.

Watch Shelby American on Netflix instead. Much better.

Thanks. I'll watch that on the plane home Sunday unless they ban air travel over coronavirus.

dpb1776
02-25-20, 13:59
Great movie I enjoyed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillBrink
02-25-20, 14:22

Thanks. I'll watch that on the plane home Sunday unless they ban air travel over coronavirus.

I'm in the airport now headed for Panama. Hopefully I'm able to return.

Mozart
02-26-20, 21:10
I'm in the airport now headed for Panama. Hopefully I'm able to return.

You’ll be alright, here’s an escape tactic:

https://youtu.be/lf01ZnMR0oI

Mozart
02-26-20, 21:12
Ford vs. Ferrari was great. I agree with the A-. Not a perfect film but close enough. Plot was a little slow at times, ironically.

kirkland
02-27-20, 14:16

Whereabouts you coming from? I went through the Taipei airport on Monday which is about as close to the Coronavirus source as I'd ever want to get. It was health checkpoint after health checkpoint, fill out this form, fill out that form, "have you had a fever or illness in the last 14 days?" "Have you been to mainland China?" "Have you been in contact with anyone who was sick?" I'm suprised they didn't want to draw my blood or something. I wasn't sure I was ever gonna make it home.

Det-Sog
02-27-20, 20:17
^^^ I'm just flying domestic. Thank goodness. Regardless, with all of the TDS (blame orange man at all costs) and associated MSM induced panic and hype, it's just a matter of time before flights start getting cancelled as people start putting on mopp gear and taping up their houses. All this for a bad cold with a 1-2% mortality rate in first world health care systems.

That said, I don't fly to Asia anymore. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Warp
02-29-20, 09:16
Watched Ford vs Ferrari last weekend. Well done. Recommend/10

Talon167
02-29-20, 17:03
Saw it in the theaters. Definitely one I wanted to see in the theaters!

I thought it was going to be good, but it was even better than I had thought. I knew the car scenes would be good, but the story was better than I expected. Will watch again.

WillBrink
02-29-20, 17:45
Saw it in the theaters. Definitely one I wanted to see in the theaters!

I thought it was going to be good, but it was even better than I had thought. I knew the car scenes would be good, but the story was better than I expected. Will watch again.

That they didn't depend on CGI was what made it great visually I felt.

Bubba FAL
03-07-20, 11:09
Watched it on the flight home from Germany this week. Really enjoyed it, despite Matt Damon.

BBossman
03-09-20, 14:15
It was okay, my first reaction after watching it was... Days Of Thunder at Le Mans.