PDA

View Full Version : M&P with the lock

seang
11-21-08, 09:21
Any reason to avoid these like the revolvers with the lock? When I called Streichers today they told me they had one M&P left, but with the lock. They informed me it would take 8 weeks to get one without. I prefer to order from them to get officer pricing. Just curious what most of you have and if you have heard or worry about the lock causing problems like it has on some of the revolvers? So far everyone seems to carry the ones with lock only.

Chooie
11-21-08, 09:31
Some of the locks in the scandium framed magnum revolvers have been reported to fail when fired with full power loads, but I personally have not seen it happen. I haven't heard anything negative about the internal lock in the M&P pistol. I don't like what the lock means, however, so I will never own a S&W handgun with the lock.

ToddG
11-21-08, 15:04
I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the lock, but I think that's because I haven't heard of anyone who has the lock. As JW777 said, if you get one with the lock, just remove the lock, and then you won't have one with a lock anymore.

seang
11-22-08, 02:34
How do I remove it? I haven't seen any without. If the M&P has a little circle with an arrow then that means it has the lock, right? Tried to see about ordering one this evening the sales rep said he would have to talk to the Smith Rep. When he looked up the model number that wouldn't have an internal lock and then pulled that model number form the back room it had the circle and the arrow. Am I misunderstanding on how to tell if the gun has a lock or not. He wasn't sure either. Thanks

Beat Trash
11-22-08, 12:21
How do I remove it? I haven't seen any without. If the M&P has a little circle with an arrow then that means it has the lock, right? Tried to see about ordering one this evening the sales rep said he would have to talk to the Smith Rep. When he looked up the model number that wouldn't have an internal lock and then pulled that model number form the back room it had the circle and the arrow. Am I misunderstanding on how to tell if the gun has a lock or not. He wasn't sure either. Thanks

I just pulled my issued M&P out. Where the lock would go is a black pin to fill the hole. The arrow and the "L" are molded into the frame, but there is no "Key Hole" anymore.

I have yet to see an M&P with the lock installed, either civilian or LE gun. Any armor trained to work on the M&P should be able to pull the lock and install the pin that goes into the hole.

If in doubt, call S&W Monday and ask to speak to a LE sales rep. Tell them which M&P you are interested in, and ask him what the SKU# would be for that gun without the lock. BE sure to clarify to the sales rep you are talking about the lock vs. the magazine safety/no magazine safety.

They should be able to get you the correct SKU# for you dealer to order. The sales rep might even be able to assist you in locating a LE gun quicker, in the configuration you want.

seang
11-22-08, 13:17
Then it didn't have the lock. Whoops!:o Guess I could have gotten it. Thanks for the clarification. I will go pick it up on Monday if it's still there. They only had one left.

I was tempted to get a 4006 TSW also. Something about the tactical series that I really like. Expensive though.

Beat Trash
11-22-08, 14:39
My only experience with the M&P pistols is with the 9mm's. My Department has issued the full size for 3 years now. No real issues as of yet. Seriously doubt any will come up either. I also own a M&P9c, and a M&PL (that a friend worked the trigger on).

To sum it up, I really like the M&P. This is coming from a Glock fan.

I was issued and carried S&W 3rd generation pistols for several years (5906,6906,3913,5646), wasn't that impressed with them, though the 3913 would be my favorite of the bunch.

If I were to buy a 40 cal pistol, it'd be a M&P. If 45acp wasn't so expensive, I'd already own a 45 M&P mid size. Still might get one...