PDA

View Full Version : HK High Reliability Magazines. How Good Are They?

OH58D
11-21-08, 09:36
Need some feedback from other users of these magazines. I have used a few and they seem quite good, other than the price. Anyone use these for an extended period and just how reliable are they? Personally I have run less than 100 rounds through one, and it was used with a Colt LE6920.

Regards,
OH58D

Avenger29
11-21-08, 10:25
Don't even bother with them. Just stick with Magpul PMAGS.

They used to be the "in" thing, but no more...they have issues of their own...

El Mac
11-21-08, 10:26
Run away.

P-mags are the ones you want.

Iraqgunz
11-21-08, 10:28
I used them on a contract here back in 2006-07. They are good, but they aren't worth the price. I would buy some Magpul PMAG's after the hysteria dies down (or around Christmas when the old ladies start nagging) and then then make a good buy. 20 mags is just under 300.00 with shipping.

NickB
11-21-08, 14:10
HK mags are good gear, but people tend to complain about:

1. Price
2. Weight
3. Spring problems, particularly in short barreled weapons

That said, I've never had a failure when using an HK mag, even in SBR machineguns. I wouldn't purchase them with my own money, but I certainly wouldn't refuse them if they were free like I would some other brands.

Alaskapopo
11-21-08, 16:26
I am still running my HK mags as duty mags for my patrol rifle. No spring issues yet in well over 3 years of being left loaded and used for qualifications.

P Mags are a better value. But I like trust the HK mags more in the winter due to some issues with P Mags failing at extreem cold temeratures. But Alaska is an extreem place. I use P Mags for training and three gun and for range use.
Pat

Iraqgunz
11-21-08, 17:14
Alaskapopo,

I think most of us have heard about your issues with PMAG's in Alaska. Is it really necessary to post it every time a thread is started about mags?

Iraqgunz
11-21-08, 17:15
NickB,

Check your PM's!

Abraxas
11-21-08, 17:25
They are a waste of money.

Alaskapopo
11-21-08, 17:29
Alaskapopo,

I think most of us have heard about your issues with PMAG's in Alaska. Is it really necessary to post it every time a thread is started about mags?

With respect what is wrong with me sharing my experience. I am not trashing PMag just pointing out a problem that they have had in my climate. I whole heartedly recommend P mags. With respect it seems like you are trying to censor me. Why? I believe in stating it like it is for better or for worse. Overall PMags are the best mags on the market with the exception of use in Cold Climates.
Pat

Rock
11-21-08, 17:32
Alaskapopo,

I never heard it before. What was the problem?

Alaskapopo
11-21-08, 17:36
I never heard it before. What was the problem?

In -40 below weather the feed lips cracked rendering the mags useless. The mags were cold soaked for an hour prior to be inserted in the gun. Feed lips cracked upon insertion into the weapon. I was not there for the test but I did see the mags and the person who showed them to me is credible. Again this is not going to be a problem for those of you sane enough not to live in a area where it gets -40.
Pat

Rock
11-21-08, 18:37
Thanks, just wondering. You won't find my ass in that weather so I guess I don't have to worry about that type of failure.:D

DocGKR
11-21-08, 19:05
We have used the HK mags; they can work well for the first 1000 rounds or so, sometimes longer.

They can disintegrate when dropped on hard surfaces--use Magpuls on the bottom.

The feed lips can bend when they are dropped.

They can rust.

They are heavy.

They are expensive.

Replacement parts are not readily available from HK.

We switched to PMAGS and have not looked back...

Failure2Stop
11-21-08, 19:37
I would happily take more HK mags if someone was handing them out- I have done it before.

On my own $$ I would rather upgrade good aluminum GI mags with new springs, followers, and floor plates than throw down on HK mags. While I agree that the HK mags are better than old black-follower GI mags, I have not found them to out-perform upgraded standard mags.

For new magazines I buy PMags and Lancer. PMags because they are just plain tough. Lancer because I am compelled to try them out and I my current sample of 2 is just too small to give them a fair shake.

Alaskapopo- have you tried the Lancers in ridiculous cold yet?

mtk
11-21-08, 20:08
With respect what is wrong with me sharing my experience. I am not trashing PMag just pointing out a problem that they have had in my climate. I whole heartedly recommend P mags. With respect it seems like you are trying to censor me. Why? I believe in stating it like it is for better or for worse. Overall PMags are the best mags on the market with the exception of use in Cold Climates.
Pat

Uh, -40 isn't "cold climate," it's "arctic climate." Not too many places in the USA get to -40 on a regular basis.

JSantoro
11-21-08, 20:42
The mags were cold soaked for an hour prior to be inserted in the gun.

I'm taking that to mean that you had them sitting in the cold to acclimatize them for an hour after removing them from, say, the warm interior of a truck?

Just making sure, first time I've read that particular phrase.

BushmasterFanBoy
11-21-08, 21:11
In -40 below weather the feed lips cracked rendering the mags useless. The mags were cold soaked for an hour prior to be inserted in the gun. Feed lips cracked upon insertion into the weapon. I was not there for the test but I did see the mags and the person who showed them to me is credible. Again this is not going to be a problem for those of you sane enough not to live in a area where it gets -40.
Pat

I have to wonder the practicality of forcing gear to run in conditions where the shooter obviously cannot.:confused:

RAM Engineer
11-21-08, 21:29
Pat

Was it a single mag that failed or multiples that exhibited this failure mode?

Robb Jensen
11-21-08, 21:34
I own a metric buttload of PMAGs (over 80), I own 16 Lancers. Neither PMAGs nor Lancers have given me troubles. I've owned 10 HK mags and had problems with them in fast cycling guns (my 3gun rifle and 10" supressed LMT)......in slower running guns the HK mags worked fine.

KevinB
11-21-08, 22:38
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Shooting/SnowLoad.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Shooting/JwMikeR23Arifle.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Shooting/jcqb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Shooting/JandBeast.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Gear/icebelt.jpg

-20C

I know guys who run them thru Para249's at -40C

I used to get Hk mags for free in Iraq - I bought PMAG's --

Hk's mags are nice - if they are NIB. A hundred or so rounds thru them, not so nice (unless you like setting up for transition and stoppage drills). Plus the steel lips dont do well on hard surfaces when your reloading.

Alaskapopo
11-21-08, 22:43
Uh, -40 isn't "cold climate," it's "arctic climate." Not too many places in the USA get to -40 on a regular basis.

Uh actually -40 below is very cold. Also I could give a rats ass what it does down there. I live up here.
pat

Alaskapopo
11-21-08, 22:44
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Shooting/SnowLoad.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Shooting/JwMikeR23Arifle.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Shooting/jcqb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Shooting/JandBeast.jpg

-20C

I know guys who run them thru Para249's at -40C

I used to get Hk mags for free in Iraq - I bought PMAG's --

Hk's mags are nice - if they are NIB. A hundred or so rounds thru them, not so nice (unless you like setting up for transition and stoppage drills). Plus the steel lips dont do well on hard surfaces when your reloading.

I have heard these complaints on HK mags but have not experienced it. I am running them in a Colt 6920 for the most part.
Pat

Alaskapopo
11-21-08, 22:45
Was it a single mag that failed or multiples that exhibited this failure mode?

Two mags were tested and two failed. They were the Olive Green mags if that makes a difference.
Pat

Alaskapopo
11-21-08, 22:46
I have to wonder the practicality of forcing gear to run in conditions where the shooter obviously cannot.:confused:

I have shot qualifications at -30 below. The human body can do it if dressed properly and as a part of our job we must do it. We can not pick and chose when to respond to calls.
Pat

Alaskapopo
11-21-08, 22:47
I would happily take more HK mags if someone was handing them out- I have done it before.

On my own $$ I would rather upgrade good aluminum GI mags with new springs, followers, and floor plates than throw down on HK mags. While I agree that the HK mags are better than old black-follower GI mags, I have not found them to out-perform upgraded standard mags.

For new magazines I buy PMags and Lancer. PMags because they are just plain tough. Lancer because I am compelled to try them out and I my current sample of 2 is just too small to give them a fair shake.

Alaskapopo- have you tried the Lancers in ridiculous cold yet?

I have some lancers and will be giving a few to a friend in Fairbanks for some cold weather testing. So far I like what I see. But I like Pmags over all better.
Pat

one
11-22-08, 01:19
Well...I have to say I was an HK magazine kool aide drinker when they came out. I got hold of three of the mags and loved them.

Now, after some time with them. Well. Two of three won't lock back the bolt at all and the third, it's just waiting to happen.

So coming from someone that has always loved HK letters on things that he owns, I'm now a dedicated P Mag man.

Alaskapopo
11-22-08, 01:56
Well...I have to say I was an HK magazine kool aide drinker when they came out. I got hold of three of the mags and loved them.

Now, after some time with them. Well. Two of three won't lock back the bolt at all and the third, it's just waiting to happen.

So coming from someone that has always loved HK letters on things that he owns, I'm now a dedicated P Mag man.

I believe you guys because you have not steered me wrong but so far so good for me on My HK mags. I will not buy more. But I am not going to get rid of what I have.
Pat

usmc51
11-22-08, 10:19
After having to toss 1/3 of the ones I was issued, I came up with enough that worked to deploy with...never again will I go with them. Brownell's aluminum magazines with the Magpul internals get my vote, and, if you're lucky enough, have the feed lip angles changed by the nice folks at Northern Virginia Gunworks.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/51gunner/4162.jpg
(HK sights on the 416 also suck, and the Aimpoint is not up there on my favorites list, either)

9mmkungfu
11-24-08, 21:57
I have 10 of the HK mags and haven't had any problems. usmc51, where is Northern Virginia Gunworks? Would it be worth modifying the HK mags I have?

Jack_Stroker
11-24-08, 22:10
I've got two H&K mags. Mine haven't rusted and they haven't been dropped. However they work awesome in my Bushmaster, and unreliably in my Colt LE 6920. They occasionally give me failures to feed in the Colt and in my AR-15 pistol, one of them won't hold the bolt open after the last shot is fired. The other one works fine. Yet my USGI and PMags work 100% in all three guns.

JSantoro
11-24-08, 22:15
I have 10 of the HK mags and haven't had any problems. usmc51, where is Northern Virginia Gunworks? Would it be worth modifying the HK mags I have?

7518 Fullerton Rd, Springfield, VA

usmc51
11-25-08, 09:14

Only aluminum feed lips can be modified with the tool NVGW designed, it won't work on steel. I've noticed big improvements with the modification, not only in reliability, but accuracy is improved since the feed ramp on the barrel isn't taking chunks out of the jacket anymore. A scratch down the side of the jacket affects the weight distribution in the spin and the ballistic coefficient.