PDA

View Full Version : Front sight

BillB
02-27-20, 11:45
Can anyone recommend a good front sight/gasblock like the A2 type but that is a clamp on style? I want to do a build with the triangle style fsp but dont want to have it pinned one if at all possible.
Thx

GH41
02-27-20, 13:38
Can anyone recommend a good front sight/gasblock like the A2 type but that is a clamp on style? I want to do a build with the triangle style fsp but dont want to have it pinned one if at all possible.
Thx

What is the reason for not pinning it on? A clamp isn't a good idea for an A2 FSB. Too much leverage to twist it.

Inkslinger
02-27-20, 13:57
Thx

Is there a specific criteria you’re looking for in a barrel that can’t be found with a FSB already pinned?

markm
02-27-20, 15:12
What is the reason for not pinning it on? A clamp isn't a good idea for an A2 FSB. Too much leverage to twist it.

This exactly. It'd have to be a light duty set up. I think there's only been an attempt or two at this type of product... for good reason.

titsonritz
02-27-20, 16:36
As far as I'm concerned, there is no "good" one.

titsonritz
02-27-20, 16:37

It's called a gas shut-off valve. :jester:

Renegade04
02-28-20, 06:41
Thx

Not a good idea. That is why you do not see anyone using them. You are much better off having one pinned properly. John Thomas (Retro Arms Works) does a great job with these. He is quick to deliver and you cannot beat his work for the money. Contact him when you get ready to have it done.

jntmjt1@yahoo.com
801-441-2801

markm
02-28-20, 07:40
It's called a gas shut-off valve. :jester:

Or a Lateral folding sight! Something KNS would make.

richiecotite
02-28-20, 08:19
I swear I saw an article on mil spec monkey that talked about the VLTOR vst clamp on being pretty dang close to bombproof?

Seems like it might be something to look into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02-28-20, 08:25
I swear I saw an article on mil spec monkey that talked about the VLTOR vst clamp on being pretty dang close to bombproof?

Seems like it might be something to look into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly, Vltor did some tests and found that other things would break before the clamp on front sight would twist. I’m not sure if that makes it a good idea or not.

T2C
02-28-20, 09:52
This may be what the OP is looking for. https://www.fulton-armory.com/frontsightbaseforgedpowerwedgewsetscrewswbayolug-2.aspx

BillB
02-28-20, 18:27
Yeah, as I thought. I'm just gonna buy the SOLGW barrel with the FSB already pinned.

BillB
02-28-20, 18:43
This may be what the OP is looking for. https://www.fulton-armory.com/frontsightbaseforgedpowerwedgewsetscrewswbayolug-2.aspx
Wow, how did you find that? I freaking looked and looked for something just like that and turned up $#!+.
I tend to like doing things myself and thought about trying pinning the fsb myself too but with quality bits and reamers and pins and the fsb I figured I'd just buy a barrel with it included. Shipping costs are damn expensive anymore so add that to the price of the barrel and it quickly becomes too expensive to make sense to me.
But, kudos to you for finding that fsb, I'll keep that in mind for the future builds. Thanks for the link.

boss_hawg
02-28-20, 19:14
Even though a clamp on will not be as secure as a pinned block, I had an armalite brand clamp on FSB that turned out much better than I had hoped.

I torqued up on the clamp screws (probably past spec) and loctited them in place after verifying function / gas port alignment.

I then made witness marks on the barrel and fsb to see if I could get it to shift at all.

The short answer is I could not.

I tried hits with a deadblow hammer, grasping the barrel and slamming the fsb portion on the side of my work bench, twisting with a vise grip...I could not get it to budge. I was not gentle.

I would not hesitate to put the durability of this fsb / gas block up against a set screw style.

T2C
02-28-20, 21:41
Wow, how did you find that? I freaking looked and looked for something just like that and turned up $#!+.
I tend to like doing things myself and thought about trying pinning the fsb myself too but with quality bits and reamers and pins and the fsb I figured I'd just buy a barrel with it included. Shipping costs are damn expensive anymore so add that to the price of the barrel and it quickly becomes too expensive to make sense to me.
But, kudos to you for finding that fsb, I'll keep that in mind for the future builds. Thanks for the link.

When Armalite made these, we used them to build High Power rifles. It makes it easier to adjust for precise no wind zero on a match rifle with the rear sight windage set exactly at zero. A few extra clicks of windage comes in handy on a windy day when shooting at 600 yards.

Some people will tell you these FSB assemblies move when you fire the rifle. When properly installed, I haven't had one move between barrel changes.

sinister
02-28-20, 22:09
When Armalite made these, we used them to build High Power rifles. It makes it easier to adjust for precise no wind zero on a match rifle with the rear sight windage set exactly at zero. A few extra clicks of windage comes in handy on a windy day when shooting at 600 yards.

Some people will tell you these FSB assemblies move when you fire the rifle. When properly installed, I haven't had one move between barrel changes.

I may have a half-dozen of these from Armalite. Love 'em.

You can make your own:

You can buy JP's:

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/src/primary/413/413559.jpg

If you need one that folds as well, the ARMS-41 works: