PDA

View Full Version : Prager U: How do you stop a bad guy with a gun?

jsbhike
02-27-20, 12:06
Very similar in approach to the recent John Lovell video.

https://youtu.be/SfQpfGsvUF8

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-27-20, 13:37
I was looking for a three second video of draw and shot.

Finé

glocktogo
02-27-20, 14:15
You could tell that one girl didn't even understand the basic concept of time. Like, literal time that is a universal constant on earth. How do you reach a person like that with reasoning? :(

jsbhike
02-27-20, 14:46
You could tell that one girl didn't even understand the basic concept of time. Like, literal time that is a universal constant on earth. How do you reach a person like that with reasoning? :(

I found the facial expressions and body language when he got to the parts requiring actual thinking very interesting. Somewhere between a child having to explain why they broke something and physical discomfort/pain.

glocktogo
02-27-20, 15:09
I found the facial expressions and body language when he got to the parts requiring actual thinking very interesting. Somewhere between a child having to explain why they broke something and physical discomfort/pain.

That unsolvable discord is what makes them go into default safety mode. Rather than explore the possibility their position is flawed, they'll seek out information that supports their confirmation bias. Denial is a powerful drug. :(

kerplode
02-27-20, 16:01
We stopped teaching kids to think for themselves years ago. Nobody should be surprised that we have an entire generation and a half that is incapable of critical thinking.

Whatever...We had a good run.

BoringGuy45
02-27-20, 16:15
People learn once they get into the real world.

The issue is that not enough people ever do. I'm in grad school right now. While most of the people are quite liberal (only a few of us have any right-of-center views), the students who have worked with the public, especially the difficult public, tend to have more tempered views than the younger crowd that just jumped from undergrad to grad. Likewise, the professors who have spent their entire career in academia or policy jobs tend to have the most out-of-touch ideas. The ones who have actually have hands on experience are more rational and open to ideas with which they may not agree. One of my professors, who is liberal, even said the words "I don't disagree with everything Trump has done." I never thought I'd ever hear that on a university campus.

SteyrAUG
02-27-20, 16:18
We stopped teaching kids to think for themselves years ago. Nobody should be surprised that we have an entire generation and a half that is incapable of critical thinking.

Whatever...We had a good run.

There are still some, I just worry they are horribly outnumbered by their peers. And it isn't that we simply stopped teaching it, we stopped rewarding it. Not only did we remove all incentive for critical thinking, in many cases we punish it and try and shame people for their "social advantage."

flenna
02-27-20, 17:17
I instantly start tuning out when I hear the word "like" making up 2/3 of a person's vocabulary.

titsonritz
02-27-20, 17:40
Just like Jack, Jack Wilson this is.